Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DivisionPost posted:

Hate to disappoint you, but this isn't it. His name isn't in the press release.

... :psyduck: so there's a third san francisco triad period show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... :psyduck: so there's a third san francisco triad period show

Actually, this appears to be a sci-fi show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wait, where's this implied?

I don't remember the exact exchange, but when Brolin is given his remit in his first scene with Modine, they imply that he'd done this before, in the middle east and they say that it worked. As I, in 2018, glance at the flaming wreckage that is much of the middle east, it's pretty clear it's not set in our universe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another show I'd like to track down is the late-80s adaptation of Robert Parker's Spenser novels with Robert Urich and Avery Brooks. Has anybody watched that?

My dad is a huge fan of Spenser, Robert B. Parker, and Robert Urich. It's one of his favorite shows of all time.

He is enjoying the gently caress out of Banshee and Justified, by the way. He just watches an episode while he walks on the treadmill, so it's taking him a while to get through them.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

Actually, this appears to be a sci-fi show.

Also, near as I can tell, Greg Yaitanes isn't involved in Warrior; it's Banshee's lead writer, Jonathan Tropper. The good news, however, is that he's working on it with Justin Lin.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't remember the exact exchange, but when Brolin is given his remit in his first scene with Modine, they imply that he'd done this before, in the middle east and they say that it worked. As I, in 2018, glance at the flaming wreckage that is much of the middle east, it's pretty clear it's not set in our universe

Bruh, that's very much the intended irony.

See, governments as a rule don't admit defeat, ever. That's why we got a bullshit peace-treaty in Vietnam before we scurried off knowing the North was going to eat the South. No one is going to admit the Middle East was and is a giant clusterfuck. We declared victory before 'deescalating' our presence there. Mission Accomplished, remember?

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 2, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

See, governments as a rule don't admit defeat, ever. That's why we got a bullshit peace-treaty in Vietnam before we scurried off knowing the North was going to eat the South. No one is going to admit the Middle East was and is a giant clusterfuck. We declared victory before 'deescalating' our presence there. Mission Accomplished, remember?

I think you'd write a better Sicario sequel than Taylor Sheridan did, because the rest of movie presents what Brolin is doing as necessary, effective, and it only doesn't work because of meddling politicians who don't have the spine to do what must be done. It's about as subversive as Rambo 2

I don't mean that sarcastically. You're engaging with the ideas with a sense of irony and self awareness largely absent from the second film. The second film is a film about a hard man making tough decisions (two of them, really) and how politicians don't have the guts.

Also, I like that they just forget to explain or even imply why Del Toro has a change of heart about the girl.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 2, 2018

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

This is referred to several times in the film - destabilization is the goal. The "you wanted Afghanistan" stuff also refers to this; "now you can buy your own hockey team", "you can't seriously think change is the goal?", etc.

Yeah I don't really disagree, that question was more rhetorical coming from my frustration at those conflicts.

Though, In Soldato the implicit aim by having the cartels go to war was to hamstring their ability trafficking people across the border. The examples of Iraq and Afghanistan used to contextualise this show destabilization as the justified means with which to create a highly volatile but perceivably malleable situation to facilitate regime change ends. This intentionally leaves the gap whereby an escalation of the conflict would lead to a greater refugee crisis and so on, it’s just kinda schlocky. Part of that is the narrative misdirect with the three prayer rugs discovery on the border leading directly into the second bombing.

It cuts a fine line where that set up felt like a right-wing paranoiac fantasy in its dramatisation which it then tries to pull the rug from under with the idea of Trump being afraid of the narrative. The thing I kept thinking in relation to Gravers characterisation, was that crazy fantasy some liberals had of the CIA doing something to undermine or threaten Trump and holding it up as an exemplar American bulwark to protect against him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think what they were actually going for there is that the regime change as such is a totally secondary goal, there's even a line about it: "if you kill a king, it could end a war." There's an even more cynical point about how destabilization is lucrative economic activity, way moreso than providing any desired or useful product or service, which goes way overboard from the relatively sedate Obama years.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Yeah the lucrative aspect of creating new markets at the heart of an ever shifting narrative - an ever shifting war where regime change in this sense isn’t about stability at all in lieu of Iraq, Afghanistan, the Ukraine etc - as a form of managed control. The portrayal of US support assets being rented by private operators funded by the US government more or less lays out the cynical nature of this ouroboros - but i'd say this is something that more epitomises the “sedate” Obama years.

Something that comes to mind with what Soldato is attempting to get at is Vladislav Surkov's short story written under a pen name about portrayal of non-linear “postmodern” war.

"This was the first non-linear war. In the primitive wars of the nineteenth, twentieth, and other middle centuries, the fight was usually between two sides: two nations or two temporary alliances. But now, four coalitions collided, and it wasn’t two against two, or three against one. It was all against all.

And what coalitions they were! Not like the earlier ones. It was a rare state that entered the coalition intact. What happened was some provinces took one side, some took the other, and some individual city, or generation, or sex, or professional society of the same state - took a third side. And then they could switch places, cross into any camp you like, sometimes during battle.

The goals of those in conflict were quite varied. Each had his own, so to speak: the seizing of disputed pieces of territory; the forced establishment of a new religion; higher ratings or rates; the testing of new military rays and airships; the final ban on separating people into male and female, since sexual differentiation undermines the unity of the nation; and so forth.

The simple-hearted commanders of the past strove for victory. Now they did not act so stupidly. That is, some, of course, still clung to the old habits and tried to exhume from the archives old slogans of the type: victory will be ours. It worked in some places, but basically, war was now understood as a process, more exactly, part of a process, its acute phase, but maybe not the most important." - Natan Dubovitsky

brawleh fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 2, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

which goes way overboard from the relatively sedate Obama years.

Uh....

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

Tell me about Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive movies? Yes, watch or no, avoid?

It’s been awhile, but yes, they’re pretty fun. The first one has some wild bookends.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm hoping to get around to Justified. It might be the next series I do a marathon for. It's a choice between Justified (haven't seen any of it), Breaking Bad (watched some but never finished it) or Fargo (I like the movie; I understand it has the same continuity as the movie rather than just being a reboot).

I haven’t seen season 3 yet, but some thoughts on Fargo: there is some continuity with the movie, but it’s a subplot that only kills time in season 1, and doesn’t come up again in season 2. Fargo would be a really fun crime show if it didn’t take every possible opportunity to nudge your ribs and remind you that you could be watching some of the best movies ever made instead of a tv show knockoff of them. There are a bunch of references to Coen Bros movies, some are neat background gags (like a sign advertising a special on White Russians) but as it goes on they get more intrusive and eye-rolling (recreating the Danny Boy scene from Miller’s crossing or the final dream sequence from Raising Arizona).

MrBling posted:

edit: and on a whole different level. Burn Notice is probably the most pulpy fun you can have in 45 minutes and I'm sad that Jeffrey Donovan doesn't seem to get much work really. His magician show was real good but sadly got cancelled.

Jeffrey Donovan popping up out of nowhere as a smarmy CIA douchebag was my favorite part of Sicario.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Please keep in mind that the major difference is that Trump and his admin revel in and absolutely exacerbate Obama-era policies which are awful enough on their own. Trump's admin has already droned as many civilians in one year as Obama did in 8. While it's true that the Obama era stuff is lowballed like crazy and the Trump era stuff is likely exaggerated to celebrate the carnage in right wing media, there really does appear to be a far higher and more reckless body count. The immorality is exactly the same but let's not discount magnitude.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean yeah I guess you did say "relatively" as in relative to now.

To me it's all just relative degrees of horror.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Davros1 posted:

The blow torch scene, which I saw fans complaining about because "Frank would've really tortured that guy" was directly lifted from a comic.
Ironically, it was the ultraviolent sequel where the director thought the whole thing was silly and just took the piss out of it while making it very over the top. It's still awesome though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Harime Nui posted:

More directly (and as brawleh’s sick quote highlights) it’s this for some but for the more clear eyed, chaos is a goal itself. Social and economic stability are anathema to the imperial project. Hard men may believe they are making hard decisions to solve a problem, but for another strata of warmonger their being wrong is exactly, and usefully, the point

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
So Bullet Head is actually pretty drat good. It might be more of a horror or thriller, but it's headlined by DTV stars Antonio Banderas and Adrien Brody, so I thought I'd mention it here.

It uses its single location well, varying the set pieces and design of the different rooms. The four leads are solid and aren't obviously phoning it in, and it's well-written as long as you have an affinity for actors monologuing about dogs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

So Bullet Head is actually pretty drat good. It might be more of a horror or thriller, but it's headlined by DTV stars Antonio Banderas and Adrien Brody, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Man. Adrien Brody won an Oscar. What happened?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Wheat Loaf posted:

He went the way of Cuba Gooding Jr.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Wheat Loaf posted:

He appears to be that kind of stealth insane that only reveals itself in really weird ways.

Like when he got banned from Saturday Night Live for unexpectedly donning dreadlocks and putting on a Jamaican accent to introduce Sean Paul.

https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Adrien-Brody-banned-from-SNL

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I remember when he grabbed a very not-into-it Halle Berry and planted a huge, long kiss on her at the Oscars one year. I'm surprised she didn't slap or punch him, right then and there. Can't imagine that was a good career move.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Sicario 2 was just two dumbasses enacting a harebrained plot, then torturing and murdering a lot of people along the way. They're redeemed at the end because they don't murder the child they kidnapped to start the whole ordeal. Imperialist, racist, fascist, reactionary trash. I loved it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
John Wick 3 has a subtitle: Parabellum. http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/956201-exclusive-keanu-reeves-talks-john-wick-3-parabellum

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Parabellum is also the name of a gun.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I dig it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Parabellum is also the name of a gun.

also a kind of bullet.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

gently caress, the first Mission: Impossible holds up so well. It's such a tight spy thriller that does a good job of blending well with the big action beats.

It is a little quaint to see the set pieces in this one compared to the later entries, but the Langley break-in is still one of the best things the series has done.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also that final helicopter scene has a huge impact because of the (relatively) sedate amount of action in the movie.

That's the one thing about blockbuster one-upsmanship - you tend to get a little numb by a movie's fourth incredible pulse-pounding stunt sequence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also that final helicopter scene has a huge impact because of the (relatively) sedate amount of action in the movie.

That's the one thing about blockbuster one-upsmanship - you tend to get a little numb by a movie's fourth incredible pulse-pounding stunt sequence.

Yea that scene really was super impressive in it's day, to the point that it still holds up 20 years later because it was so ahead of the curve then. Hunt leaping from the exploding heli onto the front of the train is still like the template that every sequel has worked from and tried to top.

There's a recent 4k release that I really want to grab, because Mission Impossible is in that sweet spot where it feels modern and classic at the same time. It's shot on film, so HDR should maintain a nice cinematic feel to it, but with really slick modern visuals where it'll also benefit from the increased resolution.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

There's a recent 4k release that I really want to grab, because Mission Impossible is in that sweet spot where it feels modern and classic at the same time. It's shot on film, so HDR should maintain a nice cinematic feel to it, but with really slick modern visuals where it'll also benefit from the increased resolution.

Some of that 1996 CGI is going to look awful in 4K HDR.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Some of that 1996 CGI is going to look awful in 4K HDR.

The reviews I've seen are very good, and Mission Impossible doesn't have a ton of CGI anyway. The finale in the tunnel is all pretty darkly lit, so I'd guess that portion will look fine. Other than that what is there?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I recently rewatched Mission Impossible 1-4, and the CGI looks absolutely terrible in that final train scene. I mean there's nothing you can do, it's 1996, but I wish they had opted for a practical approach given the rest of the movie has aged wonderfully.

I haven't watched 5 yet but my current ranking would be

4 = 1 > 2 > 3

Mission Impossible 2 is stupid as hell, but it's the fun kind of bad - whereas 3 is just sort of there, beyond an excellent Philip Seymour Hoffman performance.

4 is a perfect action/stunt film. Can't wait to watch 5 and 6.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mission Impossible 2 exists in the Woo Zone, where normal laws about stupid do not apply.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
By the time he got to MI3, Cruise was basically calling the shots and could have picked any director he could name, and he got Abrams, who'd never done a big movie before. I know Abrams is now the most reliable director in Hollywood (has never directed a bomb, as far as I'm aware - even Star Wars IX will probably do okay) but was that considered a weird choice at the time?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

At the time it was basically considered a when, not an if, that Abrams was going to make the jump to making movies, simply because the first couple seasons of Alias had gone over like absolute gangbusters and the pilot of Lost blew everyone in the world away.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not really; he had done Alias already

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was probably a bit weird that the only reason JJ Abrams got the job was because Tom Cruise had been binge-watching Alias.

Granted, JJ was essentially third choice since Fincher dropped out early and Joe Carnahan spent 15 months getting fed up with not getting to do the movie the way he wanted to do it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrBling posted:

It was probably a bit weird that the only reason JJ Abrams got the job was because Tom Cruise had been binge-watching Alias.

Abrams also had the Hollywood wheels greased for him quite a bit because of his parents and his membership in the Propellerheads.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrBling posted:

Granted, JJ was essentially third choice since Fincher dropped out early and Joe Carnahan spent 15 months getting fed up with not getting to do the movie the way he wanted to do it.

Huh. Hired on the strength of... Smokin' Aces?

(I've heard that Narc is meant to be very good but I haven't seen it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cruise was arguably calling the shots right from the beginning. Pretty sure he had a direct hand in seeking out and hiring De Palma when a lot of people were arguing that a more straightforward blockbuster director was needed.