Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Viperix posted:

So apparently if you pulse engine toward a planetary marker, you'll drop out of pulse automatically upon reaching the marker and dive into the planet. Not a problem since you can't take damage, right? Well, that's true. But if there happens to be a cave opening right there, your ship can slam straight in getting stuck. Apparently ships don't have reverse thrusters in atmosphere either. Super. Fortunately, my last save wasn't that far back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of, if I have my scanner up and look at something in the distance, there's a message that says "Press E to tag", which I assumed would mark it somehow on the HUD compass; pressing it seems to do nothing however. Am I missing something?

It just makes the marker stay visible outside of the scanner unless you get into your exocraft or look at a squirrel or sneeze or do anything really; It sucks and is useless.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Powershift posted:

It just makes the marker stay visible outside of the scanner unless you get into your exocraft or look at a squirrel or sneeze or do anything really; It sucks and is useless.

For me it's been best for buried technology markers. But it's so easy dropped for finicky and random reasons for other uses. But it helps so much on the approach for them.

Edit:

Powershift posted:

my scanner range is up to 970 units. when you go into the scanner you'll see the cloverleaf type thing indicating a resource, if you center your scanner on it, it will tell you what kind of resource it is.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you have your scanner up and point right at the icons it will tell you what they are. Goes for things that aren't deposits too.

Thanks, maybe it's a scanner range thing. I'll get that upgraded ASAP.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have three A upgrades for my scanner and only ever see "resource deposit" and never what type it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Slightly increased the cost of launch fuel, but made one canister entirely refill the thrusters

Why do I get the bad feeling that launch thrusters will now only have two take-offs stock?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Bootcha posted:

Why do I get the bad feeling that launch thrusters will now only have two take-offs stock?

It's still 4. I tested it. Uranium still needs 10 per 25% launch

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
People have been complaining about this for a while, and I didn't know about it, but this was buried in that fleet management reddit post linked in the last few pages:

quote:

You can dismiss a frigate from the Fleet Terminal, which is located at the navigation annex at the 12 o'clock position (closest to the freighter captain). Mouse over the frigate you wish to dismiss, press and hold the middle mouse key, and the frigate will be dismissed. It does not give you a warning, though, so be careful!

I presume it's the right stick on a controller, like all the other 'destroy this object' actions.

Also, I've basically given up on most other ways of making money other than stacking S-class scanner modules and selling fluffy chlorine.

2 Oxygen + 2 Chlorine = 6 Chlorine

I get my oxygen from a single oxygen harvester parked outside my base. I fill it up with Condensed Carbon because:

2 Oxygen + 2 Condensed Carbon = 6 Condensed Carbon

There are lots of things you can "fluff up" this way with oxygen: sodium nitrate, ionised cobalt, etc. I like the idea that you're just blowing air into it to make it puffier.

"Yessirree, this is the finest foamed chlorine money can buy!"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EC posted:

I have three A upgrades for my scanner and only ever see "resource deposit" and never what type it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weird. I've never seen anything other than what it is. :shrug:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Goddamn that is a sexy multitool. :blastu:

I see that one and raise you this

Screen taken before scanner, mining and offensive upgrades installed.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

EC posted:

You're hitting F right? I don't think class upgrades change functionality at all.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Ape Agitator posted:

Was watching a stream and the guy could determine the type of resource deposit from a distance (like at least 300 units). And they weren't in line of sight either, behind hills and such. He's much further into the game than I am though (S class everything). Is there a visor upgrade that does this or am I visoring "Resource Deposits" wrong? Is it stacking Sensor upgrades to increase range? Because I was hunting for Cobalt as a lowbie to repair Drop Pods and it's all Salt or Copper and there's no way to check other than hoofing it. But I saw him just look through his visor and it named them for him clearly as the type of deposit.

Some planets don't have Cobalt "deposits" like copper/gold, where you need a terrain tool. Cobalt is always found in caves. Always.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So that auto-miner runs slowly huh? But it seems to get more out of a deposit than I get with the terrain manip beam.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The_Doctor posted:

So that auto-miner runs slowly huh? But it seems to get more out of a deposit than I get with the terrain manip beam.

I don't think it actually removes anything from the deposit. By this time I've gotten thousands of copper from the first one I ever placed next to my base. Also, you can put more than one per deposit.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

AirRaid posted:

Where did you buy this, I must have it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Hey the base computer archive quest unfucked itself after I bounced back and forth from every base I owned looking for the right infested building because my base names weren't showing up on the teleporters. But I also have noticed my first infested base isn't respawning... :stare: But using the signal booster trick, I now have access to 6 infested bases. Hopefully they do respawn though. Everything else seems to. Even the dioxite deposit near the base looked like it was filling in again.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
To whoever asked them go remove getting nanites from buried tech capsules: congrats! That's going in the next experimental patch!

PS: You suck. :v:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1746720717333679989/

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

AirRaid posted:

The "webbing" look on yours looks sick. Why does rng hate me so much?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think it should give you nanites AND salvage modules hth

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I read through the patch notes and holy poo poo they have to be shooting red bull into their veins. Aren't they a team of only 15-16 people now?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zaa Boogie posted:

To whoever asked them go remove getting nanites from buried tech capsules: congrats! That's going in the next experimental patch!

PS: You suck. :v:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1746720717333679989/

Thank loving god, holy poo poo.

I'm drowning in nanites but don't want to walk 500 loving miles to put some loving colored lights on my loving castle.

also

quote:

Fixed an issue where the Efficient Launch Thruster upgrade was not learnable in space stations
Slightly increased the cost of launch fuel, but made one canister entirely refill the thrusters
Slightly reduced the radius at which Sentinel drones will investigate players
Reduced the time required to scan discoveries with the Analysis Visor

lordy lordy hallelujah!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

The "webbing" look on yours looks sick. Why does rng hate me so much?

Yeah it looks nice. I found it in my second star system, in the space station, for 7.1 million units. I put a base on the nearest planet to mark it so I could come back when I could afford it. If you’re on PC I think I could get you there? Dunno if that would work actually and I’m not actually home right now to try.

And actually it was really nice to hit a top tier multi tool early because then I didn’t need to worry about replacing modules when I swap it out.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 9, 2018

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

So the people with the blueprints or meth (chlorine) factories... How to you unload your poo poo? Won't one batch tank the system? Are you flying all around the place to find +x% to sell once at the best price than repeat for the next batch?

I burn too much money all the time so I may need a little scheme to build a nice amount so I can buy frigates, multitools or ships if I ever see nice ones.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm on the experimental, my home planet is now a neverending superheated storm. boo-urns

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
So, I don't know if this is known or mentioned in the thread somewhere. But, if you manage to do the rescue the freighter 'mission' in a rich system, you get a suped up frigate with your freighter.

I ran a few runs that were in poor/moderate systems and always got C frigates. I ran a two in rich systems and got a B and an A frigate. After one mission, the A frigate turned S class.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Powershift posted:

I'm on the experimental, my home planet is now a neverending superheated storm. boo-urns

I can highly recommend this infrequent storms mod to save your planet.

It lets choose from a different range of storm frequencies instead of being stuck with ones that barely give you 2min breaks in between.

I like every 15-90 minutes as a decently sized ranged, you still get the occasional scramble for cover when you're stuck outside but it's a lot more fun when they're spread out better.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I’m on the experimental and my planet has finally calmed down and only has horrible storms occasionally. Nothing so far seems more broken than before.

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

Hemish posted:

So the people with the blueprints or meth (chlorine) factories... How to you unload your poo poo? Won't one batch tank the system? Are you flying all around the place to find +x% to sell once at the best price than repeat for the next batch?

I burn too much money all the time so I may need a little scheme to build a nice amount so I can buy frigates, multitools or ships if I ever see nice ones.

What’s up chlorine here’s how you that mad money slinging Dat CL

Use your freighter to hold your fat stacks while you’re cooking (make sure it’s empty so you can get loads)

Install a storefront on your freighter so you can just walk over and sell it.

Move ALL of the refined chlorine that you made into your inventory

Sell in one clump. Tank the price and move somewhere else that has a high sell % and flood that market too. You’ll be mad rich

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In light of my impending egg poaching operations being crippled by the devs I looted myself 5 million spacebux of caviar and buy three frigates. I now have a B explorer, a C explorer, 2 C industrials, and a C combat frigate. A whole (mostly lovely) frigate group! So I have a new, completely legitimate business going selling to the highest bidder. I've come a long way from punching my way into supply depots. :v:

Is there a less tedious way of getting di-hydrogen for fuel than shooting lasers at these little rocks? I assume so but I have nothing at all base-wise so far. I wish I at least had a store interface for the freighter but that's a separate upgrade afaik.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

In light of my impending egg poaching operations being crippled by the devs I looted myself 5 million spacebux of caviar and buy three frigates. I now have a B explorer, a C explorer, 2 C industrials, and a C combat frigate. A whole (mostly lovely) frigate group! So I have a new, completely legitimate business going selling to the highest bidder. I've come a long way from punching my way into supply depots. :v:

Is there a less tedious way of getting di-hydrogen for fuel than shooting lasers at these little rocks? I assume so but I have nothing at all base-wise so far. I wish I at least had a store interface for the freighter but that's a separate upgrade afaik.

Buy dihydrogen gel and break it down in your refiner.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Powershift posted:

I didn't know I could! Thanks.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I wait for someone to land on my landing pad and sell my chlorine to them.

I run a drive in chlorine gas business. In this space chillout game

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anything interesting happen if you pop ammonia and chlorine in your base refiner?

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

AirRaid posted:

Yeah it looks nice. I found it in my second star system, in the space station, for 7.1 million units. I put a base on the nearest planet to mark it so I could come back when I could afford it. If you’re on PC I think I could get you there? Dunno if that would work actually and I’m not actually home right now to try.

And actually it was really nice to hit a top tier multi tool early because then I didn’t need to worry about replacing modules when I swap it out.

Hell yeah. I'm on PS4 with this game. Thanks though. I'm sure I'll find something I like in the future. I have a class a tool but it's not pretty. Typical Easter egg color nerf gun.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Finally killed a walker after several minutes of seemingly doing little to no damage to him with my A class ship. I think the hitbox for it is wonky as gently caress. Tons of times it seemed to eat shots and take no damage, even though the damage numbers were showing. Eventually it got to a point where finally I seemed to be melting through the armor. When I killed it, the loot barrel from it was bugging out and I thought I was going to rage when it kept vanishing as I mined it. But I finally got my goddamned walker brain.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Powershift posted:

Even more bizarrely, you can craft the gel with 40 di-hydrogen, then break it down in a refiner to get 50 di-hydrogen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Triarii posted:

Even more bizarrely, you can craft the gel with 40 di-hydrogen, then break it down in a refiner to get 50 di-hydrogen.

Or you can go the extra mile and put 30 dihydrogen into the refiner to get jelly instead of crafting with 40 :pseudo:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Or you can go the extra mile and put 30 dihydrogen into the refiner to get jelly instead of crafting with 40 :pseudo:

The recipe exists but because this game is built out of popsicle sticks and chewing gum, it doesn't actually work. The refiner just sits there at 0% progress indefinitely.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Triarii posted:

The recipe exists but because this game is built out of popsicle sticks and chewing gum, it doesn't actually work. The refiner just sits there at 0% progress indefinitely.

For me it sat there, but not indefinitely; it eventually just kinda went "BOOP here u go" after like two minutes

I mean obviously not worth it but lol that it exists anyway

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've been doing a lot of mission batches while jumping around and my merc guild rank is high enough now to do some from the lower half of the screen. Those keep paying me in batches of 5 hot ice. I then buy a couple of thousand Sulphurine to make thermic condensate, combine the two to make 5 cyro pumps. 9M+ profit each time.

The moral of the story is: never leave the station without taking all the easy missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Finally killed a walker after several minutes of seemingly doing little to no damage to him with my A class ship. I think the hitbox for it is wonky as gently caress. Tons of times it seemed to eat shots and take no damage, even though the damage numbers were showing. Eventually it got to a point where finally I seemed to be melting through the armor. When I killed it, the loot barrel from it was bugging out and I thought I was going to rage when it kept vanishing as I mined it. But I finally got my goddamned walker brain.

The Walker hit box is wonky as HELL for ship weapons fire. And you need to hit specifically on the armour pieces in a specific order (head > legs > body) to actually kill the thing. It’s easier to kill it on foot once you have some survivability/damage upgrades.

E: and by that I mean one s class shield upgrade, 1 s class boltcaster upgrade, and plasma cannon with one upgrade.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 9, 2018