Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

LifeLynx posted:

I already had the belief that we'd possibly want to redo the first scenario after learning the flow of the game better. I can't see knowing which cards are good or bad before we even play a single turn, so we're just going with the recommended cards at first. Not that going by the recommended start didn't screw us already: (minor road event spoiler) the recommended starting shop items cost all thirty of our gold each, so when we got a road event that required to pay five gold each, we were stuck on one option.

We need an :xcom: or :capitalism: but with Gloomhaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Selecta84 posted:

A question for the Concentric Circles players:

If nothing goes wrong I will start to play that class on Friday and I'm going to start at level 3.

After checking out the cards I'm thinking about skipping my level 3 card and instead choose both Level 2 cards.

Good or bad idea?

I also just started this class and did that very thing! Neither of the level 3 cards seemed that good, but I want particularly worried because my group plays with a "respec" rule that you get one free one after you first play with a class, and outside of that you can donate to the sanctuary and swap out a card instead of taking 2 blessings

As someone who already played two minis, concentric circles class makes me feel right at home

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LifeLynx posted:

I already had the belief that we'd possibly want to redo the first scenario after learning the flow of the game better. I can't see knowing which cards are good or bad before we even play a single turn, so we're just going with the recommended cards at first. Not that going by the recommended start didn't screw us already: (minor road event spoiler) the recommended starting shop items cost all thirty of our gold each, so when we got a road event that required to pay five gold each, we were stuck on one option.

There are X cards that are absolutely worth using from almost the start (Spellweaver's Aid from the Ether gives a good summon, Mindthief's Frigid Apparition gives another stun and good damage, etc) but given the way things are presented it's easier just to take the starting cards and go for it.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
I bought this monster some month ago and have been following this thread to pick up some good ways to organize it while waiting for a better table for my place.
This sunday I finally punched everything out, opened the card packs and peeked into the starting class boxes. I also wrestled with the e-raptor insert (lowest box was a real pain to assemble).

Do any of you sleeve anything? I was thinking about sleeving the shuffle heavy stuff, which would be attack mod deck and perhaps monster cards? However, I'm leaning towards using gloomhaven helper so that might just be a silly buy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

saihttam posted:

I bought this monster some month ago and have been following this thread to pick up some good ways to organize it while waiting for a better table for my place.
This sunday I finally punched everything out, opened the card packs and peeked into the starting class boxes. I also wrestled with the e-raptor insert (lowest box was a real pain to assemble).

Do any of you sleeve anything? I was thinking about sleeving the shuffle heavy stuff, which would be attack mod deck and perhaps monster cards? However, I'm leaning towards using gloomhaven helper so that might just be a silly buy.

I sleeve everything because I enjoy a good sleeving but given the cost of the box and the cost of an organizer the extra $25 for the sleeving seemed like a no brainer. I just got these for convenience's sake:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719TN8MB/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I use Gloomhaven Helper so the only cards that see any real action are the player cards. It might be worthwhile to sleeve those since there aren't that many.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

saihttam posted:

I think it's worth sleeving the player attack modifier decks if you're going to sleeve anything, and using gloomhaven helper for everything else, saves so much time and table space.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Player ability cards and player attack modifer decks (plus curses, blesses and -1s) are the best things to sleeve. Apps cover all the monster stuff and most other things get shuffled once a scenario or less.

We also sleeve the items, active PQs and any player aid cards (because they're out on the table / get shoved into envelopes).

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

saihttam posted:

This is what I'm doing: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/7syew3/gloomhaven_plano_25_stepbystep_how_it_fits_in_the/

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Cool, thanks all. I'll go ahead and sleeve the player ability and attack mod decks and buy enough sleeves for item cards used. (after already investing in an insert I feel obligated to continue dumping money on this thing) I'm in euro-land so I couldn't really find a similiar thing to that $25 pack.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I really like an accordion folder for the map tiles.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah right now they all are in a pile at the top and then rule book/scenario book on top of that. Not sure I can fit a folder in there but I guess I can just keep it stored somewhere else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I went broken token, the sleeve assortment, and an accordion folder I had lying around. The broken token's tile tray makes a great place to put things that don't conveniently fit anywhere else (mechanical pencils I keep in the box, the character boxes for the classes being actively played, etc.)

I also taped the back of the map and have it standing up in a plate stand on top of a bookshelf but that's just me frontin'

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Some Numbers posted:

I also store the rulebook, scenario book, monster cards/envelopes, health dials, envelopes, round tracker board, and character sheets & boards in mine (I have all the characters stored in $1 crayon boxed and they're great but don't fit the cardboard with the art).

The folder cuts 5-10 minutes off setup/breakdown and I would say is only slightly less essential than some organizer setup for standees/overlays.

Side note, who else forgets Battle Goals until the third round of literally every scenario? Like even when I take them out during setup someone will think about hey am I supposed to be killing elites or gently caress, BATTLE GOALS.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

psilo posted:

I just dinged my triforce lvl6 yesterday. I was thinking taking both level 5 cards and skipping the level 6 ones. Thoughts?

Absolutely agree. I'm not there yet but in my theorycrafting I'd do that, or a plan involving both level 2s.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

spoiler contains link to guide for Triforce

Where'd you find that anyway? I agree it's many times better than either reddit wiki guide. It lines up with my thoughts from studying the class very well.

Also, at level 8 I'd consider going back to take the other level 7 card. It looks pretty fine to me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The big upside to putting terrain in an accordion file is that taking all that cardboard out of the box makes it easier to fit everything else in.

We sleeved the usable player ability cards (the level 1 and X cards, plus the ones you picked on level up - leaving the others unsleeved makes it easy to remember which cards you're able to pick from for each scenario), player attack modifiers, items that players currently own (no way is it worth sleeving up the entire item shop beforehand, though we don't really bother unsleeving items when characters retire so the shop is a mix of sleeved + unsleeved cards right now) and the battle goals (mostly because I had spare sleeves, it's not really necessary). My monster ability cards are still in shrink, lol.

Instead of buying an insert I just bought a big stack of C5 envelopes, put the square monster card plus all the standees in an envelope together and write the name on the front. All the cards fit back into the stock insert just fine, one of my players 3d printed some holders for the condition tokens and hexagonal obstacle tiles (but you could just use baggies in a pinch, which I still use for the three-tile terrain and the oddly-shaped things). The only really fiddly thing with baggies is condition tokens, and if you're using gloomhaven helper to track those then it's not an issue.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Xad posted:

I also just started this class and did that very thing! Neither of the level 3 cards seemed that good, but I want particularly worried because my group plays with a "respec" rule that you get one free one after you first play with a class, and outside of that you can donate to the sanctuary and swap out a card instead of taking 2 blessings

As someone who already played two minis, concentric circles class makes me feel right at home

That's reassuring. Yeah, i don't find the lvl 3 cards that impressive either.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

saihttam posted:

Yeah right now they all are in a pile at the top and then rule book/scenario book on top of that. Not sure I can fit a folder in there but I guess I can just keep it stored somewhere else.
My folder absolutely doesn't fit in the box, but it saves so much time that it's worth being separate.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Side note, who else forgets Battle Goals until the third round of literally every scenario? Like even when I take them out during setup someone will think about hey am I supposed to be killing elites or gently caress, BATTLE GOALS.
Almost every time.

Doesn't help that no one really cares about checkmarks anymore.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We just keep everything in a mix of boxes, plastic bags and labeled envelopes. It cuts a fair bit off the setup time while still keeping up the classic, old-timey board game feel.

WCL
Dec 26, 2008

NYAAAH-AH-AH!
Officially my party is kicking it up to Very Hard from here on out, tried 3 scenarios as Music Note/Sun/Ubisoft(concentric circles)/Eclipse and nothing comes close to threatening us.

We just finished Scenerio #27 Pretty short fight with the 10 turn limit, but I as Sun took maybe 10 damage and a few summons died because of retaliate. Beyond that nothing got touched and every spawn either: died near instantly before their turn, were disabled, or attacked me futilely. My buff with the song buffs make the summoner put out a crazy amount of damage. I think at one point the Summoner killed a lv. 4 Ice Demon and a Sun demon by themselves in a turn with no crits (All spawns are Elite for this scenerio).

This party feels pretty strong, I'm looking forward to getting destroyed somehow.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My team is that exact configuration without Ubisoft. We're steamrolling stuff that's not scenario 72.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Where'd you find that anyway? I agree it's many times better than either reddit wiki guide. It lines up with my thoughts from studying the class very well.

Also, at level 8 I'd consider going back to take the other level 7 card. It looks pretty fine to me.

A few months ago there was a contest on the subreddit for "alternate" builds (no unmarked spoilers in link). That one was nominally for a high-level Triforce but I think it's just a better guide outright.

And yeah, picking up the other level 7 card is a solid choice too. It's just got the misfortune of being up against one of the most overpowered cards in the game.

The more I talk about Triforce the more I want to replay it, which is weird given how I felt about it at the time.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I disapprove of this aspect of the guide advertising the items as being necessary when their designs are RNG-locked. I think a guide should be more all-purposes. However I repeat that I find his analysis very good and mostly in line with what I'm thinking - the amount to which we agree at the moment diminishes (but does not extinguish) my desire to write a guide after I've had some more play so I can speak from experience!

I'm super into my Triforce exactly because of the prevailing opinion against the class. That means trying to make it work is a puzzle, an optimization challenge :) I think I'm on to something but at Level 3 I can't go shooting my mouth off in a "guide" just yet.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 22, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah, it's the best I've read, despite still making utterly baffling claims at times. Triforce spoilers:
He dismisses the L1 stun two targets attack because you'll never have both earth and ice at the same time. Yeah, not if you insist on putting your element generator on the card that gives you air you won't.

You really have to tweak your build to adjust both to any element generating colleagues in the party and to any random items you unlocked that help you. And depending on how early you unlock the class and whether your group plays on hard/very hard, I would even advise adding a specific element to one generator card and then save for the generate any element second. I never felt a need for extra movement once I worked out which element pairs you want. (Generally, that's Earth/Ice or Air/Fire, at least until you pick your L5 card.) once you have two ways to generate pairs of elements that you want, the class really becomes obnoxiously effective.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Narsham posted:

Yeah, it's the best I've read, despite still making utterly baffling claims at times. Triforce spoilers:

Agreed! He looks at a multi-shot Stun with potential for further upside and says "do not want?" Shoot for one thing you'll have Earth + Ice on any turn after you Crystalline Blast top + Tremulant Cyclone bottom, which is a pretty reasonable thing to do anyway so you get some decent initiative on your fat AoE before the ripe targets change position. Agree with a whole lot of it otherwise, though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I just unlocked Triforce in my solo TTS campaign last night and uhhhhh yeah that certainly is a class that exists. I'm not excited for it at all but I'm happy to read thoughts and ideas from the rest of you and I'm glad to read about people who like it :)

I retired a Cragheart and immediately started a new one because part of my retirement involved adding Curse to the top of Dirt Tornado and now I want to actually use it. I also had enough gold to add +1 attack to the top of Crater. I wanted to add jump to a commonly used move card but the best option was the bottom of Explosive Punch and I didn't have enough gold for that so I settled for the Crater upgrade and a sanctuary donation.

Yes I realize that Curse Dirt Tornado is less awesome with only 2 characters but it's still fun to do and I'm enjoying the results so far.

Plus the Cragheart is just awesome fun.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just unlocked Triforce in my solo TTS campaign last night and uhhhhh yeah that certainly is a class that exists. I'm not excited for it at all but I'm happy to read thoughts and ideas from the rest of you and I'm glad to read about people who like it :)

Triforce spoilers: I had a looot of fun with it, think so far it's one of my favorite classes to play, HOWEVER. I play Gloomhaven with 3 other people, two of which were playing classes that could semi-regularly generate elements, and two of which bought items to help me more with elements. Playing Triforce solo might be...okay? But I might not recommend it if you have a choice

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Last night we had the entire bless deck and both curse decks empty. Had six curses in my 14-card deck for a while...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We finished Scenario 53 tonight.

As gimmicks go, at least "survive 10 rounds" isn't as asinine as "move a bunch without dying."

We basically hid in the south part of Room A, while my rock man sealed us off save for one long winding tunnel. And the Brute kited everyone away for a few rounds. I escaped and grabbed the chest, so we unlocked an item.

Item 72
Shoes of Happiness. They seem... Lame? I guess for certain classes it'd be a good way to get a ton of XP but... At least for the starting 6, it's not too impressive. Am I missing something?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Xad posted:

Triforce spoilers: I had a looot of fun with it, think so far it's one of my favorite classes to play, HOWEVER. I play Gloomhaven with 3 other people, two of which were playing classes that could semi-regularly generate elements, and two of which bought items to help me more with elements. Playing Triforce solo might be...okay? But I might not recommend it if you have a choice

We haven't unlocked Triforce in my IRL group yet and there are 3 of us. Our Tankerer and Spellweaver are about to retire and they're going to play Two Minis and Sun after that. Even if we had Triforce available I don't think any of us would play it.

My Mindthief is going to unlock Cthulu hopefully within the next few sessions and I'm really curious to see what that class is all about.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

We haven't unlocked Triforce in my IRL group yet and there are 3 of us. Our Tankerer and Spellweaver are about to retire and they're going to play Two Minis and Sun after that. Even if we had Triforce available I don't think any of us would play it.

My Mindthief is going to unlock Cthulu hopefully within the next few sessions and I'm really curious to see what that class is all about.

Oh man, two minis and sun are FANTASTIC together

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
To be fair Sun seems fantastic with everything because everyone benefits from someone else taking all the aggro and then not needing healing after, and also blessings.

I do kinda miss my Two Minis but I'm running Sun and loving it. My wife is playing her second Spellweaver and just enhanced Forked Beam to be 3 damage 3 targets. Holy crap that is effective with a high level modifier deck.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I retired a Cragheart and immediately started a new one because part of my retirement involved adding Curse to the top of Dirt Tornado and now I want to actually use it. I also had enough gold to add +1 attack to the top of Crater. I wanted to add jump to a commonly used move card but the best option was the bottom of Explosive Punch and I didn't have enough gold for that so I settled for the Crater upgrade and a sanctuary donation.

Yes I realize that Curse Dirt Tornado is less awesome with only 2 characters but it's still fun to do and I'm enjoying the results so far.

Plus the Cragheart is just awesome fun.

Triforce solo would be difficult, though I suppose if you had Cragheart or Mindthief as the second character you'd be able to reliably set yourself up with the elements you need. It's a very attention- and time-intensive class. Someone with lots of time on their hands could try a solo party of Triforce and Circles...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Xad posted:

Oh man, two minis and sun are FANTASTIC together

Yeah as soon as we unlocked Two Minis and saw certain cards we were all like "yeah wow there's some good synergy with Sun".

Continuing Sun chat, my TTS solo Sun is ridiculous. Just hit level 5 and got a check mark perk at the same time. The attack deck is now insanely good.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Every time with any class: okay I'm going to use this card to generate (element).

Flip attacks: rolling (element).

Alternate ending: rolling +1, rolling +1, null. With advantage.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 23, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Every time with any class: okay I'm going to use this card to generate (element).

Flip attacks: rolling (rlement).

Alternate ending: rolling +1, rolling +1, null. With advantage.

Why do you not get to keep the two +1's in that instance?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
If you flip a null the attack does no damage no matter what other modifiers exist from abilities or the modifier deck.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you have advantage and flip a non-rolling +1 and a Null, do you not get to ignore the Null?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Reik posted:

If you have advantage and flip a non-rolling +1 and a Null, do you not get to ignore the Null?

You do (get to ignore the null) but it's not about "ignoring" the null in that case it's about choosing the better of two options since you have advantage.

Rolling mods work different in that they link but also don't give you another option to choose when you're advantaged, so you just play it out as normal, which is null damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Reik posted:

Why do you not get to keep the two +1's in that instance?

There's a reason a lot of us prefer the "two-pile" house rule.