Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Found a hell of an ugly McMansion on accident yesterday

Apparently the people who built it owned some healthcare company that went bellyup halfway through; Google Earth says it was in 2011 sometime. When you look in the windows, there's nothing but bare studs and floor. Realtor's page says it's $200k, with another $200k of work required to finish it.

Looks like the back porch has been worked on a little, maybe?

Belongs in sudden valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So this thread talks so much about lovely house design, so what are some examples of good house design and architecture in modern houses? I realize that builders in most neighborhoods are going to build pink brick cubes, but in the unlikely event that I ever get enough money to do a custom build, how does one avoid ending up on McMansion Hell?

Mcmansion Hell wrote up a primer on basic architectural principles and how mcmansions mess them up. I'm a lot softer on how they look than some people, but they also tend to have really poor functionality that'd you'd find frustrating if you had to live in everyday. Like the parts of the house that actually got used were all at different ends of the house; you had to walk through the formal dining room, parlors, and home offices to get from the kitchen to your bedroom.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also keep in mind that according to these forums anything that is a tract home no matter how basic is considered a McMansion so you'll just have to embrace it

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

Also keep in mind that according to these forums anything that is a tract home no matter how basic is considered a McMansion so you'll just have to embrace it

Modern track housing has absolutely embraced the patchwork look of mcmansions. Some people get more hung up on a giant house obviously built cheap, and other people get hung up on mismatched windows, multiple facades, and insensible roof lines.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

there wolf posted:

Modern track housing has absolutely embraced the patchwork look of mcmansions. Some people get more hung up on a giant house obviously built cheap, and other people get hung up on mismatched windows, multiple facades, and insensible roof lines.

I feel that it worked the other way around. McMansions are just what happens when tract homes get acromegaly.

All of the features that make McMansions ugly were present in one form or another in crappy 1970s split levels, just less exaggerated.

Actually, maybe tract homes have one advantage. Since they were designed to be built quickly, they usually skip the non-euclidian room geometry problem that McMansions stumble into.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I think most people here would be realistic and say there's nothing wrong with buying a moderately sized home in a subdivision to provide a place for your family. I (we?) laugh at the larger custom or semi custom jobs where people have had an actually huge home built but didn't spend enough per square foot to get more than an inflated cookie cutter box.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I grew up living in suburban neighborhoods that were comprised of houses that were always always always built within three years of each other.

Now I live in a neighborhood where the houses span between 1930 and 2009 in build year and it is such a nice change.

The one interesting effect this has is that it makes the house prices fluctuate wildly from house to house. Growing up it was understood that your friends house down the street was almost identical to yours in layout and amenities and they were probably worth the same amount unless someone put in a pool or something.

The house on my street that was built in 2009 is the most expensive house on the block by over $200k. There are a few houses worth about half of its last sale value at this point.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I like my neighborhood. There are three or four waves of development represented and no HOA, so you see lots of different layouts and later customizations as you walk through the area, ranging from classic 70s stuff to closely packed late 2000s suburban jungle cookie cutters. I wouldn't want to live in one of those but walking through that part of the neighborhood is a cool experience. It is like an alien landscape compared to the older more comfortable suburbs which have things like space between houses and yards and trees and stuff.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The dead grass around the house, the pitch-black windows barely reflecting light and giving no inkling of what's inside. The hint of an incoming storm in the clouds. This is perfectly set up to give off a feeling of being a cursed house, imo.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

MrYenko posted:

The trick is to lock into eye contact with your guests while you poop.
There is something to be said for having the bathrooms away from guests.

A lot of newer homes seem to have a second or third bathroom that is too close to the dining room...

On another topic, what about garage doors that open horizontally?
(I thought it was cool. The sliding panel ones.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 4, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

The dead grass around the house, the pitch-black windows barely reflecting light and giving no inkling of what's inside. The hint of an incoming storm in the clouds. This is perfectly set up to give off a feeling of being a cursed house, imo.

I keep saying that some enterprising inde horror person should make a movie around the creepiness of mcmansions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

there wolf posted:

I keep saying that some enterprising inde horror person should make a movie around the creepiness of mcmansions.

Have them be haunted by the ghosts of competent architects.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://twitter.com/katietiedrich/status/1036637575585382402

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ENHANCE

:thunk: :supaburn:

https://imgur.com/gallery/tXDHzOr

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

They say they fireproofed a bit

outdoor kitchen builder posted:

I wrapped the charcoal grill wood in stainless steel , the Viking doesn’t need anything

but I'm not so sure that is 100% fireproof.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It's me, I'm the previous owner.

See this lovely louvered window that doesn't close all the way and lets in critters? Well I finally got around to doing something about it.

(Yes that is a scrap of masonite, most of a tube of silicone caulk, the piece of plastic that wouldn't quite stay taped up under it, and 5 roofing nails. Why do you ask?) This bathroom is on short time and is not in use at all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Senor P. posted:

On another topic, what about garage doors that open horizontally?
(I thought it was cool. The sliding panel ones.)

I really like inventive uses for garage doors.

H110Hawk posted:

It's me, I'm the previous owner.

See this lovely louvered window that doesn't close all the way and lets in critters? Well I finally got around to doing something about it.

Hey, me too. Mine was actually missing the top bit of glass. Getting a new bit cut to size was going to actually cost money because my house was built in the 1950s and there's not a single standard sized thing in it. Even the bedroom doors are different widths, ffs.

But I just used a 1m x 1m clear polycarbonate sheet so it would still let in light. Some foam weatherstripping and roofing screws and it was good to go

Now I just need to dust, sweep and clean out all the poo poo that's blown into my garage over the past few years.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
(Potentially) Double posting. Got a lot done this weekend. Here is an album of everything: https://imgur.com/a/wohWbnv

I decided to demo out my garage this weekend because the closer I looked at anything even remotely related to it more things popped out as wrong and dumb. For the record, I removed exactly two outlet covers but just to get at the drywall behind it. Everything else is as I found it.

(Almost!) Before, we did knock off the one bit of drywall above the subpanel, which housed a surprise j-box!

Not sure what/when/how happened here, but this is turbo hosed, as is the board below it. I put in a call already to a contractor but it's labor day. If you recall my patio cover, I understand this is very bad. I don't own a jack.

The list of things we found wrong or half-assed in here knows few bounds.
- Drywall screws were over-driven in almost every case, probably 50% halfway through the board, 25% driven home, and the rest were "close enough" depth wise. However, they didn't properly center the boards, which meant the edges were often either out in the air or splintering the edge of the stud. It also meant in a bog standard 2x4/16" OC room they had to cut drywall. Many of the screws were driven at a 45 degree angle to try and grab wood.

- No tape, barely mudded, and we could see as they ran low on mud, eventually giving up. This meant screw extraction was surprisingly easy.

- Rear corner where there are two piece of non-treated wood? Those were both like the top one, not affixed to anything, and used to "secure" the corner drywall.

- Upper cabinets were ikea standard, with that "rigid plasticy cardboard" back (kind like masonite?) you nail on. It was fairly "thick" as it were, but still not...structural. At least not until they screwed a scrap of 2x4 through it with ~8? screws, at least 3 of which flat out missed studs. Studs that were not covered in drywall and thus easily findable. We never stored much in there thankfully, mostly just some random papers. We hit it with a sledge one time and gravity did the rest as the backer tore off the cabinets.

- The electrical cluster gently caress. The room was originally fed by one breaker in a remote panel and they just kinda... kept on going anytime they wanted more. One outlet was held in by the back-wires alone, and for unknown reasons screwed to a 2x4 scrap instead of the stud. Haven't checked if they backstabs, but we all know they are. The boxes were jammed overfull, almost nothing is clamped, including the sharp edges of the flex.

- Shelves in the back were held on by these big screws, half of them into drywall alone, some hit studs.

- Bottom cabinets/drawers were two single pieces with a piece of something particleboard looking but very heavy. It had 6 screws going into it to "hold it all together", 4 of which actually held on. It was otherwise unsecured to the wall. Same with the rickety particle board shelves next to it.

- You can see the carnage left behind by the old school cantilevered garage door of doom. :stare:

- 2 studs don't hit the sill plate because they hit the sill plate bolt instead, as is customary.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 4, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Your kitchen units are made out of asbestos, I presume?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hah, dude deleted the album. Presumably on advice of a home insurance lawyer.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I actually looked at a house with a crawlspace the other day which is a rarity in the UK, it was technically a two thirds height basement or something that existed due to the place being on a hill but thanks to this thread I immediately spotted that a) there was clearly something making a nest there and b) the owner was venting their tumble dryer into it by dumping the outlet down a hole in the floor above. I suspect the fluff from b) may have led to a) .

The rest of the place needed what could be optimistically described as a redecoration that I strongly suspect would have uncovered some horrors.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I actually looked at a house with a crawlspace the other day which is a rarity in the UK, it was technically a two thirds height basement or something that existed due to the place being on a hill but thanks to this thread I immediately spotted that a) there was clearly something making a nest there and b) the owner was venting their tumble dryer into it by dumping the outlet down a hole in the floor above. I suspect the fluff from b) may have led to a) .

The rest of the place needed what could be optimistically described as a redecoration that I strongly suspect would have uncovered some horrors.

When I did the original viewing of my house I said “nothing some redecoration won’t fix”. I’ve spent £152,000 on it so far.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jaded Burnout posted:

When I did the original viewing of my house I said “nothing some redecoration won’t fix”. I’ve spent £152,000 on it so far.

Yeah I just read your entire thread end to end and it only reinforced my initial feelings regarding "just needs some redecoration". See also the place with what looked like an exposed brickwork "feature wall" but on closer inspection turned out to just be that the plaster had been stripped (you could see the old tape at the top edge) , at my guess because of a leak in the flashing on the roof above.

The estate agent actually asked me if I was a surveyor or something, nope, just a terrible nerd.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

I don't actually hate this. The tower/turrets are dumb and the 2nd story window things are dumb and don't look functional but other than that. It's completely possible the interior layout is trash but from these two haunted exterior shots I'm ok with it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It just needs a bit more color!

Hmm, not quite sellable yet.

There we go

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 4, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Good lord, how much contrast amplification did you apply there? I like the distortions in the sky where you can see red/green color banding.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Good lord, how much contrast amplification did you apply there?

Enough.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

schmug posted:

I assume you are talking about "pitch". It is how threads are measured. It states the number of threads per inch, or spacing in Millimeters.

Example:
1/4-20 is a 1/4" diameter diameter screw, with 20 threads per linear inch.
8-32 is no.8 wire gauge with 32 threads per linear inch.

M8 X 1.5 is an 8mm diameter screw with a spacing between threads of 1.5mm

you can count the threads in a pinch, but I use something like this at home:

Corrected, because I am an idiot.

Nah, I know what pitch is. My bolt gauge is similar to what wesleywillis posted, but mine is flat credit-card-like plastic, and it has a v-notch in the middle for sizing the outside of tubing, and a v-tab you can bend out to measure the inside of tubing. Kind of like this thin: https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11129103 but built in and a bit smaller.
I also have thread pitch gauges like you posted, though mine are separate metric and SAE.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I recently had to deal with getting measurements for a unit manufactured in Sweden and realizing that metric thread pitch is calculated in a completely different manner than standard measurements was one of those things where i had to look at the wiki for multiple minutes to suss out wtf was going on.

Think of metric thread pitch as how far the bolt or nut moves when screwed in or out one full turn.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

H110Hawk posted:

Not sure what/when/how happened here, but this is turbo hosed, as is the board below it. I put in a call already to a contractor but it's labor day. If you recall my patio cover, I understand this is very bad. I don't own a jack.

That rafter, unlike your patio header, is not vertically load-bearing; its main function is to tie the two walls together. Since the roof is a hip (and thus largely self-supporting), splay is not as big an issue as it would be were it a standard gable roof. All of that horizontal-run stuff is there to keep the walls more or less square. Kinda the bare minimum to do it...which is also fairly typical for the time that was built (I'm assuming post-WWII to about 1962)

It appears to have split at a knot - which is a very common thing. If the garage is less than 16--LF wide, you can install a sister next to it, and either post-jack the sagging rafter, or clamp it to the new one to line them up, and screw/nail them together.

You can do the same for the saggy roof joist above it, but that does not appear to be about to fail...although that one also has a hella-huge knot in it. I'd sister it up, eventually.

(edit) You could also install a shitload of rafters across; it'll add some structural integrity, and you can hang crap off of rafters...or build a little storage loft in one corner.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 5, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

That rafter, unlike your patio header, is not vertically load-bearing; its main function is to tie the two walls together. Since the roof is a hip (and thus largely self-supporting), splay is not as big an issue as it would be were it a standard gable roof.

Yay. That's what the contractor said as well, so thank you.

PainterofCrap posted:

It appears to have split at a knot - which is a very common thing. If the garage is less than 16--LF wide, you can install a sister next to it, and either post-jack the sagging rafter, or clamp it to the new one to line them up, and screw/nail them together.

You can do the same for the saggy roof joist above it, but that does not appear to be about to fail...although that one also has a hella-huge knot in it. I'd sister it up, eventually..

I have a great idea, lets use a bunch of super knotty wood to build a structure in a dry earthquake ridden area! It's the 40's, Hitler is dead, and nothing could go wrong! Garage is ~17x19'. Contractor is going to largely redo the inner wood structure to support adding a ceiling w/ insulation (or attic space?) later on.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Another lovely Airbnb.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

H110Hawk posted:

Yay. That's what the contractor said as well, so thank you.

I have a great idea, lets use a bunch of super knotty wood to build a structure in a dry earthquake ridden area! It's the 40's, Hitler is dead, and nothing could go wrong! Garage is ~17x19'. Contractor is going to largely redo the inner wood structure to support adding a ceiling w/ insulation (or attic space?) later on.

Great! He can overlay 12-LF 2x6 to get to 17'...Or go crazy & overlay two 2x8x16s!) 24" on-center from front to back to get a nice solid floor/ceiling structure.

Incidentally, on a second closer look, that knotted roof rafter hasn't being doing poo poo since it was installed; the knot goes all the way across; shear strength endeth there. It's effectively two pieces of lumber, butted together.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

“It was a house without kindness, never meant to be lived in, not a fit place for people or for love or for hope. Exorcism cannot alter the countenance of a house ; Hill House would stay as it was until it was destroyed.”
― Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So this thread talks so much about lovely house design, so what are some examples of good house design and architecture in modern houses? I realize that builders in most neighborhoods are going to build pink brick cubes, but in the unlikely event that I ever get enough money to do a custom build, how does one avoid ending up on McMansion Hell?

This house is humongous but a nice example of "modern" design that isn't an ugly gray box or a mishmash of clashing styles.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/309-Hillwood-Rd-Richmond-VA-23226/89125281_zpid/?fullpage=true
It also has a good example of a Kitchen Island You Can gently caress On.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Another lovely Airbnb.

Seems a little cramped but otherwise okay.

*scrolls down*

Oh.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Another lovely Airbnb.

for when you're in such a hurry in the morning you need to take a piss on the way downstairs

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Imagine how many times that sink gets bumbled into while trying to go up/down those stairs at night.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

Another lovely Airbnb.

I think it was thread a while back that posted a similar landing bathroom, except it was an addition to an older house and pretty obviously a piece of the old servant stairs that had been turned into it's own room. I remember thinking it was pretty neat except the layout was a little weird, sink not being next to the toilet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Having the toilet on the landing used to be the standard in Berlin apartments and is still pretty common in older/cheaper ones but for gently caress sake they'd give you a door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

beautiful house

That house is amazing. The wall of windows looking into the woods is exactly what I want when I win the lottery.