Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
technically there's still a bottom fan spot in the S2/R6, the shroud is perforated so you can still supply air to the GPU from the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It even fits a basement 280mm radiator if you have a really short power supply. You don't really lose anything for the existence of the shroud and it actually directs air to the hot components instead of it needlessly running over your externally ventilated PSU.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

K8.0 posted:

Remember that 2080 Ti are supposedly heavily binned by Nvidia. In reality we'll have to see how it plays out, but there could be some major clock or thermal issues with these cards.

I agree, but I also think nVidia's probably keen on the idea of moving a lot of low-scoring ASIC parts that would otherwise likely find themselves getting habitually returned to B&Ms and online retailers.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

ronya posted:

technically there's still a bottom fan spot in the S2/R6, the shroud is perforated so you can still supply air to the GPU from the bottom

I think there will be more noise if it's blowing directly against part of the shroud though? I've just noticed the S2 doesn't even come with a proper side panel in any version so I suppose that's why they'd put a shroud on it.

The downside of the R6 vs the S2 is you have to go to 120mm fans if you want 3 in the front, S and S2 can have 3x 140mm. Can you even remove all the drive cages in the R6 as well?

If I was going for a silent as possible while idle air cooling case, I'd want 3x 140mm fans in the front with nothing in their way. I wouldn't use the top fan slots either. I haven't managed to find an alternative to the S yet

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
You can actually put 3x140mms in there - it is, after all, the same size as the S2 - but you'll be missing screws at the top:

There is otherwise no use for the 140mm bottom-most screw holes.

Possibly there were plans for a 5.25" slot cover accessory for it at some point.

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 28, 2018

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

Prolly cause the 590 is coming out real soon

Leaked numbers put the 590 squarely in 1070 ti territory. It would be nice if said rumor were true: the highish end GPU space needs more competition.

3peat
May 6, 2010

3peat posted:

I never owned a nvidia card until now and I wanna buy a used 1080/ti, but these nvidia driver problems posts are scaring the gently caress out of me
That said how am I supposed to switch from amd to nvidia drivers? I'm thinking unplugging the internet cable so windows doesnt do some bullshit, uninstalling the amd drivers, switching the cards, installing the nvidia ones, then plugging the cable back in, would that be sufficient?

Geemer posted:

I'd download the latest nvidia drivers and put them somewhere easily accessible. Then boot into safe mode w/o networking and use DDU to get rid of the AMD drivers. Then, instead of rebooting, power down, swap the cards, boot back up and install the nvidia drivers.

I got a used 1080ti for about 450 euros a couple days ago, did like in the above post and it seems to be working fine

Yudo
May 15, 2003

So I guess there is no good way then to test a 7970 I found (I currently have NV drivers installed) that is worth the trouble? Maybe I'll just donate it.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Yudo posted:

So I guess there is no good way then to test a 7970 I found (I currently have NV drivers installed) that is worth the trouble? Maybe I'll just donate it.

What do you want to test, exactly? If you just want to verify that it works just swap it in and see if you get video. If the comp boots with the card installed it's most likely fine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Indiana_Krom posted:

If you want a full tower that isn't some design Darth Vader rejected for being too edgy, have a look at the Corsair Obsidian 750D. You could also grab the optional perforated front panel, but otherwise the case is pretty close to a perfect monolith and can still hold a boatload of water cooling hardware.

It's kind of sad that sleek contemporary design is on the way out in favor of the blingee LED cases.

Also, it's virtually impossible nowadays to find something without a window. I tried, there isn't much.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

What do you want to test, exactly? If you just want to verify that it works just swap it in and see if you get video. If the comp boots with the card installed it's most likely fine.

If I am going to sell it to someone I would want to stress test it first. I'd feel negligent otherwise. That, unfortunately, will require AMD drivers installed and I don't know if risking downtime is worth whatever such an old card would fetch.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's kind of sad that sleek contemporary design is on the way out in favor of the blingee LED cases.

Also, it's virtually impossible nowadays to find something without a window. I tried, there isn't much.
Indeed, at least they let you turn off or otherwise disable all the RGB, I built my machine to be "stealthy", hence:

Actually the side panels on the 750D are interchangeable, so if you order a second/replacement solid panel for it you can turn one into a windowless case. I was tempted to do that on mine but I was already something like $1500 in to the build and decided against spending any further for something that was purely cosmetic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Glue some nice fabric to the inside, it’ll be pretty.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

I kinda like the windows to an extent since they let you monitor your interior without having to remove the side panel. I'm less fond of how many cases have flat/smooth front panels now

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Glue some nice fabric to the inside, it’ll be pretty.

Or spraypaint the inside of the glass, either way you retain the neat shinyness.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Indiana_Krom posted:

Indeed, at least they let you turn off or otherwise disable all the RGB, I built my machine to be "stealthy", hence:

Actually the side panels on the 750D are interchangeable, so if you order a second/replacement solid panel for it you can turn one into a windowless case. I was tempted to do that on mine but I was already something like $1500 in to the build and decided against spending any further for something that was purely cosmetic.

Stealthy!? With multiple 3.5" HDD's! NOOOO!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’m gonna do the Linus RGB build with my next PC. I’m sorry senpai. :nyoron:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

The ATX standard hasn't changed in any significant way since the mid 90s. If you want to build a classic computer in a beige case with a turbo button built in, there are literally millions of old cases out there with sheet metal you can nostalgically cut your fingers on.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

will the turbo button make my computer faster

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Statutory Ape posted:

will the turbo button make my computer faster

If you actually dug up a 486 33/66, yes? Alternately i'm sure you could rig something up to where it activated an overclock profile.

Anything else, it's just like the magic / more magic switch.

http://catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

All I know is that I'm really angry at my parents for throwing out their old early 90s Compaq 486SX/33 box that'd been upgraded with the Pentium Overdrive 83Mhz chips. Those things still sell for a good amount of money on eBay to old hardware enthusiasts. Even more than the original Pentiums, in most cases.

Yet they *kept* the old Commodore 128DCR in the library. Still worked when I sold it to a friend locally, despite not having been powered on for over two decades.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Is there something about Id Tech 6 engines I should be aware of? Or maybe I just need to upgrade my PSU.

I'm running an old system; i7-2600k, 16GB RAM, ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, 1 SSD 1 HDD, 650W Corsair PSU.

I recently upgraded my 650 Ti Boost to a 1070 Ti.

With Vsync on, both games runs just fine. But with Vsync off, both Doom 2016 and The New Colossus run for a minute or two before my computer BSODs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Turning VSync off runs your computer as hard as it can, vsync on allows some idle times between frames.

Now that you've got a faster GPU it's possible that running the rest of your system harder is causing crashes. It's hard to pin down specifically what is crashing, BSOD could be anything from your CPU to memory to mobo to GPU to PSU.

I'd start with DDU and a clean install of drivers since that's easy. Disable XMP and set your CPU back to stock, see if that helps. Then maybe try popping out half your RAM and see if you're still crashing, then try the other half. If you've got an OC-capable motherboard maybe setting the CPU multiplier a bit lower (below stock if necessary) and see if that stabilizes your CPU.

650W should be plenty, in principle. As long as it's not a lovely old PSU that is way out of spec or something. I'd lean towards probably not the PSU.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 29, 2018

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
In my experience, dying PSUs tend to just restart the system instead of giving BSODs. Not that it's impossible, but a blue screen at load wouldnt immediately make me think of the PSU. I'm guessing you're over clocking that Sandy Bridge? Could be CPU instability,

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Intel offers a very simple yet effective CPU stability checker: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

I run it periodically, and this just reminded me to update it. Windows also has a built-in RAM checker, just run a Start Menu search for Windows Memory Diagnostic and let it do its thing. It's not as comprehensive as letting memtest86 run all night, but it'll let you know if something's awry more quickly.

EDIT: 4.1.0.31 (the most recent version) of the Intel diagnostic tool was throwing an IMC (integrated memory controller) failure at me, so I went back to my older version (4.0.0.29) and everything's peachy. Here's that .exe hosted on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lo8JD9gn3KhKrpwFfBy5eHGzi3XqGhtL/view?usp=sharing (probably available elsewhere if you don't trust me :tinfoil: )

So if you run into a failure, try the older version and see if it passes.

Lastly, there are tools like this which allow you to better analyze a BSOD: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html (not sure how it works with Win10)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 29, 2018

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Broken Machine posted:

If you actually dug up a 486 33/66, yes? Alternately i'm sure you could rig something up to where it activated an overclock profile.

Anything else, it's just like the magic / more magic switch.

http://catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

I'd argue that it applied more in the 80286/386 era at latest.... by the time 486s came out the "turbo" functionality (which was actually slow mode, to take it back to 8086 4.3mhz or whatever it was so old games would work right) it still on 486s didn't go slow enough for those same old games and became ambiguously kind of useless.

but on a OG 286 that poo poo brought it right back down to XT speeds so the older games worked

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sniep posted:

I'd argue that it applied more in the 80286/386 era at latest.... by the time 486s came out the "turbo" functionality (which was actually slow mode, to take it back to 8086 4.3mhz or whatever it was so old games would work right) it still on 486s didn't go slow enough for those same old games and became ambiguously kind of useless.

but on a OG 286 that poo poo brought it right back down to XT speeds so the older games worked

I haven't thought about any of that in ages, good stuff. I still have a 386 around, no idea if it even still posts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yudo posted:

Leaked numbers put the 590 squarely in 1070 ti territory. It would be nice if said rumor were true: the highish end GPU space needs more competition.

I would decrease your expectations for the 590 tbh. 12-24% seems to be the range over the 580 in the leaks ive seen, which is a good bounce, but would still way behind the 1070 Ti and even regular 1070 in most stuff, especially at 1440p. You'll still need to look at the Vega 56/64 to get that kind of performance from the AMD side.

Wccf seems to think the launch date is November 15th and the price-point is at $300, AMD clearly trying to fill the gap between the $200 580 and $400 Vega 56. But the value proposition might be tough unless it beats the leaks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Pro tip, if you ever use Dell credit towards a GPU, you can:

a) Get them to price match Amazon in the chat, even if they're $400 over Amazon's price

b) Have them ship it to New Hampshire, then immediately call them back and tell them you gave them the wrong address, they'll change to your new address and forget to charge you sales tax, which saved me another $70

I'm now the proud owner of a PNY twin fan 2080, lol

Are there still no games that use DLSS?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Are there still no games that use DLSS?

There's still nothing, but a console variable to enable DLSS appeared in PUBG recently. It doesn't work currently so they might be waiting for GFE to roll out the model data.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

Is there something about Id Tech 6 engines I should be aware of? Or maybe I just need to upgrade my PSU.

I'm running an old system; i7-2600k, 16GB RAM, ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, 1 SSD 1 HDD, 650W Corsair PSU.

I recently upgraded my 650 Ti Boost to a 1070 Ti.

With Vsync on, both games runs just fine. But with Vsync off, both Doom 2016 and The New Colossus run for a minute or two before my computer BSODs.

How old is that corsair PSU by chance? If it was from the same time as when you built that 2600K setup then yes the PSU is probably the first thing I would try and replace as it sounds like a load issue since VSync off = Run as fast as you can.

Mine was doing something similar and since I swapped out my PSU and UPS since both sort of were from a similar timeframe, everything has been back to 100% solid since then.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
EVGA has open-cooler 2080s in stock for MSRP ($700).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Uh oh: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-cards-dying/amp/

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

I'm curious how much of that is user error / driver issues / power issues. It's really hard to pin this stuff down without hard data, and combing through internet forums isn't hard data.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm curious how much of that is user error / driver issues / power issues. It's really hard to pin this stuff down without hard data, and combing through internet forums isn't hard data.

Yeah my new 2080 non-TI was crashing so that the whole PC would reboot, every 2 minutes or so. Took me a half hour to figure out that a loose wire was preventing the top fan from spinning. It was weird because it reported normal temps in HWMonitor, and one fan should have kept it cool enough, but maybe there's some other failsafe on it that was causing the reboot. Working fine after I got the second fan going.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can't have hardware failures if you never get the hardware you preordered :smug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Can't have hardware failures if you never get the hardware you preordered :smug:

"I'm the proud, :smug: owner of a really expensive promise!"

That being said, this doesn't really bode well for that $999 EVGA 2080Ti. Seems like it'd be more like a $1059.99 2080Ti, since you'd be an idiot not to get the extended warranty on it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

go to hell, amp. Who the hell decided this was a good thing?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"I'm the proud, :smug: owner of a really expensive promise!"

That being said, this doesn't really bode well for that $999 EVGA 2080Ti. Seems like it'd be more like a $1059.99 2080Ti, since you'd be an idiot not to get the extended warranty on it.

Actually it's costing me $2000 CAD :smug: :cry:

e: TBH I feel confidant that EVGA will take care of me if there's a problem with the card. I just want it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
*looks at new FE 2080TI, tugs collar*