Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

redsniper posted:

Maybe y'all should nut up and learn Japanese. :colbert:
(Me too :ohdear:)

I have to for work and a) gently caress this and b) dubs for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress dubs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But fortunately now everything has the option for both and you can listen to whatever you like.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
There's nothing wrong with dubs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd5vTu3zqc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDmvxguplBE

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Holy gently caress that Mexican dub isn't real. It can't be.

Jesus Christ it's an anti-AT Field

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

redsniper posted:

Maybe y'all should nut up and learn Japanese. :colbert:
(Me too :ohdear:)

I started but I have no discipline so I can just read kana.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Subs are indubitably bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evangelion on tv, subs vs dubs, it's 1996 all over again baby

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Real pros don't use subs, dubs, or even audio. Mute that poo poo without subtitles and just read the lip flaps like a goddamn true blue otaku.

Y'all are children.:unsmigghh:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Some dubs, especially more recent ones, are very acceptable and are a lot more fun.

The Evangelion dub is neither of these and some of the decisions made are chronically brain dead and I'm glad Gainax is suing former-ADV.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What's the end of eva dub screw up?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nessus posted:

Eterna-debate over whether Asuka's line that ends the film is accurately translated.

Szmitten posted:

Some dubs, especially more recent ones, are very acceptable and are a lot more fun.
Ghost Stories is my go-to for "contractually obligated to produce but the show is rote so laet's make it fun".

There was also some lame card-game show that got the same treatment on Adult Swim but not quite as sublime

Zeruel posted:

Holy gently caress that Mexican dub isn't real. It can't be.

Jesus Christ it's an anti-AT Field
No, it's a joke. Sadly Shinji does not drop a MariachiCoco Grito in any of the LatAM dubs.

It's a good joke though.

I don't always watch my Animus dubbed, but if I do I prefer Spanish.
The Mexican dub of DBz kept the part where Piccolo tells Krillin off during the Android saga, for example.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I mean the basic problem with subs is that you're spending time looking at words at the bottom of the screen when you should be looking at the rest of the screen and absorbing it.
TVs are like 4 feet wide now. It's not like you're missing the super quick easter eggs from FLCL if you're watching something Subbed anymore.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 6, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zeruel posted:

i stand by shinji's im so hosed up and misato's so loving what if im not you. what are the other instances of unwarranted profanity?

I think misato's so loving what line is completely appropriate. It really helped show how frustrated and tired Misato was at that point. I don't get why some people hated that line.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The biggest problem with the EoE dub is that they changed the pronunciation of like half the terms including the title robits. The VAs themselves were fine, but why Manga decided to gently caress with the established language I'll never know.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The biggest problem with the EoE dub is that they changed the pronunciation of like half the terms including the title robits. The VAs themselves were fine, but why Manga decided to gently caress with the established language I'll never know.

It represented the effort, definitely.

Evas, like meh-vuhs.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

This is a topic where I get a little torn. I hate when dubs mess with pronunciation, but I also really hated 'See-moan' in the otherwise decent TTGL dub, despite it being spelled Simon everywhere. Spell it 'Simone' instead at least.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nessus posted:

The added comical grape squelching noises for some extremely gruesome scenes for no discernible reason

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Maybe I'm just a brain weird, but twenty plus years of watching anime and foreign films have made it super easy for me to absorb the subtitles while keeping my attention mostly on the image.

Of course, all this depends on the talent of whoever is translating/writing the subtitles. People who do it professionally know that subtitles should be quick, simple, and easy to read. You're not going to get every nuance in the language and that shouldn't be your aim anyway. I remember reading an essay by Donald Richie, the author of several books on Japanese film (he's also the man usually responsible for the subtitle track on on your Cirterion Kurosawa DVDs), and he said that his philosophy for writing subtitles is that they should be as bare as possible. The hope is that the viewer gets to a state where they can absorb the image, the subtitles, and the audio performance all at once. This will give the viewer the necessary information to see the intention behind the subtitles and allow them to focus primarily on the image and sound rather than the subtitles.

When watching subtitles we often get in the mindset that the subtitles are giving meaning to the images. It should actually be the other way around: combined with the performance of the original actors, it is images and sound that inform how the subtitles should be read and what inflection we read them with.

This goes against the philosophy of most fan subbing communities, who want every nuance and subtlety to be represented in their subtitles. The language becomes flowery, they refuse to translate certain words or phrases in to English friendly equivalents, and the subs become hard to read and digest. We weren't meant to READ anime, we were meant to WATCH it, and I can totally understand why most would prefer dubs over subs.

/end effort post

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just dislike subs because I can’t watch on my tablet and play WoW in the background at the same time as easily if it was dubbed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Subs are great because I can finish an episode in ~5 minutes if I just want to see the overall plot by reading the script faster than it's read and pressing the right key to skip the next 5 seconds and get to the next line.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I have always strongly preferred original dub Gendo vs. new dub Gendo.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Paracelsus posted:

Subs are great because I can finish an episode in ~5 minutes if I just want to see the overall plot by reading the script faster than it's read and pressing the right key to skip the next 5 seconds and get to the next line.

wtf you know Film and television is a visual medium right? Reading a movie's script and watching it are quite different.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Who could have guessed that anime fans would prefer to look downwards rather than make eye contact with someone who is talking.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Subvisual Haze posted:

Who could have guessed that anime fans would prefer to look downwards rather than make eye contact with someone who is talking.

Your computer is not a person, just so you know.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

Your computer is not a person, just so you know.

There's lots of videos debating if the new Lion King movie is live action or not. 'Computers are people too' will surely follow!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Console Role Player posted:

Maybe I'm just a brain weird, but twenty plus years of watching anime and foreign films have made it super easy for me to absorb the subtitles while keeping my attention mostly on the image.

Of course, all this depends on the talent of whoever is translating/writing the subtitles. People who do it professionally know that subtitles should be quick, simple, and easy to read. You're not going to get every nuance in the language and that shouldn't be your aim anyway. I remember reading an essay by Donald Richie, the author of several books on Japanese film (he's also the man usually responsible for the subtitle track on on your Cirterion Kurosawa DVDs), and he said that his philosophy for writing subtitles is that they should be as bare as possible. The hope is that the viewer gets to a state where they can absorb the image, the subtitles, and the audio performance all at once. This will give the viewer the necessary information to see the intention behind the subtitles and allow them to focus primarily on the image and sound rather than the subtitles.

When watching subtitles we often get in the mindset that the subtitles are giving meaning to the images. It should actually be the other way around: combined with the performance of the original actors, it is images and sound that inform how the subtitles should be read and what inflection we read them with.

This goes against the philosophy of most fan subbing communities, who want every nuance and subtlety to be represented in their subtitles. The language becomes flowery, they refuse to translate certain words or phrases in to English friendly equivalents, and the subs become hard to read and digest. We weren't meant to READ anime, we were meant to WATCH it, and I can totally understand why most would prefer dubs over subs.

/end effort post
"Just according to keikaku*"

*note: Keikaku means plan.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The actual official EOE dub/sub gently caress up is the line "Shinji, we, like the angels and Adam, are born from Lilith." Which is mega wrong considering it's supposed to be "Shinji, like how the angels are born from Adam, we are born from Lilith." Adam and Lilith are equal beings.

There's also a sequence in Death where they recap Kaji's end and there's a cut to black accompanied by the sound of Asuka slapping Shinji as they have a shouting match. The dub replaces the slap with a gunshot. In the commentary Tiffany Grant says "Yeah, we replaced the original sound effect with a louder meatier gunshot because the original was just, lol, it sounded like a slap!"

These people are incompetent.

edit: See also "There's no word for "I" in Japanese."

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 7, 2018

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

What's wrong with the first one? It reads correctly for me.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

What's wrong with the first one? It reads correctly for me.

the syntax isn't clear. makes it sound like everyone is from Lilith rather than comparing two different relationships

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paracelsus posted:

your worse than a dub watcher

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
He might be, probably, almost certainly is joking

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Agronox posted:

This is the Evangelion thread, only serious posts here.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

wtf you know Film and television is a visual medium right? Reading a movie's script and watching it are quite different.

We're talking about limited animation, the still parts are there on the screen and 90% of what I miss is just lip flaps.

Agronox posted:

Not joking, I just use it to check out shows like Black Clover I'm not particularly invested in and wouldn't bother with if I had to devote the full run time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Reading a script for a Shōnen is a hell of a thing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just watch the scene where Eva unit 1 holds Kaworu, stretched out to last the entire length of the TV series + EoE + the rebuilds + death/rebirth

E: Shinji and Misato staredown at the train station and the elevator scene are in their regular locations and included in full.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I just watch the scene where Eva unit 1 holds Kaworu, stretched out to last the entire length of the TV series + EoE + the rebuilds + death/rebirth

E: Shinji and Misato staredown at the train station and the elevator scene are in their regular locations and included in full.

You’ll love this, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blld6o0D2gs

RME
Feb 20, 2012

All these dub sickos come crawling out

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dub was great gently caress y'all who be hatin

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The plan was a success.

EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Sweet jesus it's an anti at field