Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It looks really cool in motion and has the vibe and depth of an aardman set in a lot of shots, i loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah seeing it in motion has made me actually interested in seeing the film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The frame rate stuff also seemed way less noticable in the movie than the trailers. I never found myself distracted by it or even noticing it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The movie looks like nothing I've ever seen before. It's truly something to behold. Y'all should watch it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm waiting to see it on Christmas.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For the first five minutes I thought I'd forgotten to pick up a pair of 3d glasses.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For the first five minutes I thought I'd forgotten to pick up a pair of 3d glasses.

yeah but for the whole movie, they use image offset and chromatic aberration instead of blur to show depth of field and its really distracting

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

asecondduck posted:

I'm trying really hard to not be an old person yelling at clouds as I age but man a lot of the artists on the Spider-Verse soundtrack sound like they came from an SNL skit:

I mean, I'm in my mid 20s and rap music in kid's movies makes me fuckin criiiinnngggee

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In some scenes it legitimately feels like they achieved the depth effect of a really well done 3D movie except in 2D. I guess it has a lot to do with the framing, but man, other movies need to take note because this truly felt like it raised the bar of how animated movies should look.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I mean, I'm in my mid 20s and rap music in kid's movies makes me fuckin criiiinnngggee

I know you didn't mean it to come off this way but on reading this I instantly had a flashback to 2009 vintage YouTube comments going "I'M ONLY 13 AND I DON'T LISTEN TO ANY OF THE poo poo OF TODAY I ONLY LISTEN TO THESE SONGS I HEARD ON GUITAR HERO!!!!11" :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lol why

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cringing at the black music in a kids movie starring a black kid.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's because I'm racist, of course.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just kidding, I'm not racist. In fact, I always make sure my young children are exposed to age-appropriate music they'll have context for, and creative role models of strong character, like XXXTENTACION and his finest work.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're probably just a dork not into the current cool scene.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

XXX specifically is one thing and I actually agree that it's hosed he's still there, but writing off an entire genre of music as not age-appropriate does belay some biases.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kidz Bop exists for a reason!!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Just kidding, I'm not racist. In fact, I always make sure my young children are exposed to age-appropriate music they'll have context for, and creative role models of strong character, like XXXTENTACION and his finest work.

Vince Staples oraganizes and donates to local YMCA youth organizations, Blackway is the son of a famed Ghanian writer and satirist, Thutmose grew up a nigerian immigrant and has some real horror stories about how the us immigration office treated his family but ended up studying computer science before his music career took off.

Why cant they be good creative role models?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cause daddy likes rock and roll not these RAPPERS!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Vince Staples oraganizes and donates to local YMCA youth organizations, Blackway is the son of a famed Ghanian writer and satirist, Thutmose grew up a nigerian immigrant and has some real horror stories about how the us immigration office treated his family but ended up studying computer science before his music career took off.

Why cant they be good creative role models?
That's great! I think they are. I also think it might be good to make sure young children are of a certain age and have sufficient maturity and context to parse critically the common thematic content and language which defines the genre, including works by those artists; and that this might anyways be preferable to whitewashing rap music by having movie studios pay rappers top dollar for work artificially (somtimes thinly) sanitized of this content, while in the process selling to kids a great number of artists who lack the integrity of the people you just mentioned.

Also because the whitewashed rap music in kid's movies sucks rear end?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 17, 2018

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

That's great! I think they are. I also think it might be good to make sure young children are of a certain age and have sufficient maturity and context to parse critically the common thematic content and language which defines the genre, including works by those artists; and that this might anyways be preferable to whitewashing rap music by having movie studios pay rappers top dollar for work artificially (somtimes thinly) sanitized of this content, while in the process selling to kids a great number of artists who lack the integrity of the people you just mentioned.

Also because the whitewashed rap music in kid's movies sucks rear end?

lol u are such a dweeb. its just music

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No teenager or kid thinks about that bullshit - they just care that it sounds good.

Jesus christ you're a loving loser.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the only sanitized song is the sample from Biggies Hypnotize, the soundtrack excepting the orchestral work is original and family appropriate commisioned work about superheroes and doing the right thing and swinging around on webs

(Seriously, I think half the songs have a line about swinging around new york on webs, rappers love superheroes.)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

No teenager or kid thinks about that bullshit - they just care that it sounds good.

Jesus christ you're a loving loser.
*vintersorg blares Skins at 5-year-old* why are you crying. you dweeb. you loving loser. i am a good, extremely not racist parent

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You think 5 year olds listen to movie soundtracks.

This soundtrack is aimed at teenagers and you were just lamenting that rap in a soundtrack for them is cringe for some reason.

You're in your mid-20's, also the age group this music is for and you're sounding like a 50 year old parent.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

hahaha

Also, The Burning rules and has George Costanza playing a jock.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

You think 5 year olds listen to movie soundtracks.

This soundtrack is aimed at teenagers and you were just lamenting that rap in a soundtrack for them is cringe for some reason.

You're in your mid-20's, also the age group this music is for and you're sounding like a 50 year old parent.

he likes intellectual rap about respecting women and donating to the homeless lmfao

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

poo poo, you know what, I bet if we throw enough money at Juicy J he'll throw down for The Grinch 2 (2020). You say no to Christmas presents / Juicy J can't, kids!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You're trying really hard here.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Obviously the problem is that immortal technique isn't on there delivering real New York bars about how Bush did 9/11

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing is I don't actually think it's hosed that X is there

Yes, dude was a very bad person, but he's not the one actually profiting from it, on account of being dead. Meanwhile, the main people getting money for his music are... the people he harmed in the first place, since his main crime was horrific domestic abuse, and his estate basically consists of his victim(s) and his mom

Like, that's about the best way this could have worked out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Don't worry. I'm into hip-hop and even I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I feel like most of these are flavor of the week artists and won't still be popular this time next year.

Post Malone broke the record set by Michael Jackson with Thriller for a song spending the longest time on the Billboard charts

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gripweed posted:

Post Malone broke the record set by Michael Jackson with Thriller for a song spending the longest time on the Billboard charts

I thought Jason Mraz did that with "I'm Yours".

Then Imagine Dragons beat him with (I think) "Radioactive".

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Looking at it, Nicki seems to be the only New York rapper on that soundtrack, though fittingly she's from Queens.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gripweed posted:

What can I say, a lot of people have poo poo taste :haw:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What can I say, a lot of people have poo poo taste :haw:

Hey, Thriller is pretty good

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

poo poo, you know what, I bet if we throw enough money at Juicy J he'll throw down for The Grinch 2 (2020). You say no to Christmas presents / Juicy J can't, kids!

Please tell me how rock music, country music, blues, and any other form of popular music differs from rap in terms of lyrical content historically and why it is better to have it then rap music.

Please work in defenses for the following lyrics:

"Sounds like an animal
Panting to the beat
Groan in the pleasure zone
Gasping from the heat
Gut-wrenching frenzy
That deranges every joint
I'm gonna force you at gun point
To eat me alive"

"This ain't no rag, it's a flag
And we don't wear it on our heads"

Thank you in advanced.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

„horror"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What a weird way to advertise the star, too.