Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"people in The Country do it" is like the biggest warning sign it's wrong.

Indoor cats are perfectly happy, live MUCH longer, and don't get terrible diseases, eaten by predators, hit by cars, hosed with by people, etc. If a cat is whining to go outside, it's bored and under stimulated. (or it spent a lot of its life outside... Pandora's box was opened)

Cats are also horrible for their environment as they kill everything and each other.

Indoor cats are best cats.
I won't argue that they don't have an effect on their environment, but my cat must've been a loving tank then because he was about a 50/50 split outdoor/indoor cat and that fucker lived 20 years before he got sick and we had to put him down. Never had any serious issues before that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

HOLY poo poo I've missed this thread I couldn't find it for the last three weeks and I was like "WHERE HAS ALL THE BAD WITH MONEY GONE?"

I found it only when someone told me that they moved it to loving AI.

edit: and in the time since I came here it's now moved to goddamn pet island.

At least now I have it bookmarked.

Blasphemy. You don’t bookmark this thread AND make it your homepage?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
BWM Thread: As Preventative Maintenance, Change Your New Cat Every 2 Years

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've had one outdoor cat and several indoor cats over the years, and that's enough for me to know having an outdoor cat is 100% not worth it. Even aside from the bird murder and cat safety problems, it's just annoying having to let it in and out and deal with it harassing you when it wants outside.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Alternatively my girlfriends former outdoor cat had a sibling that was more than likely bird murdered as a kitten. She’s skittish as all hell and is afraid of the ceiling fan so there’s probably some cat PTSD going on there.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

I feel that a horse named Justice, appearing in a court of law, should be wearing studious-looking spectacles and a shirt and tie.

...and a chancery wig, to round out the ensemble.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Can I now post about how the first year with my first dog (a 9 year old Boston Terrier / Rat Terrier mix rescue) has cost so much that his vet makes good natured jokes like “so, this is your low cost adoption?” And he can’t get insurance for these things because they were all pre existing. Heh. Still love him more than anything.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Does anyone here own a silver labrador retreiver?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How much should you budget for expensive pet bills? Is a 10 cent bullet too little or should I spring for a 12 gauge slug?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Krispy Wafer posted:

How much should you budget for expensive pet bills? Is a 10 cent bullet too little or should I spring for a 12 gauge slug?

I spend every dollar my wife and daughter want, as I smile and shake my head.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is both GWM and GWL, it is cheaper to say yes dear than to divorce.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

"Mr. Vet, please save our cat. Cost is no concern."

<out of sight of family>

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

True, the ND1s are cheap as gently caress with the release of the ND2, which finally rivals the S2000 stock for stock
ND1?
ND2?

E: awww yiss I forgot to refresh and we’re out of AI. Today is a good day.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

quote:

Posted byu/Moon_Frost
Seeking advice, future concerns as a 31 y/o making around 33k a year. How screwed am I?

My situation: I'm a 31 year old male, single, no college degree. No savings, everything extra atm is paying off a 27k used truck loan (that I purchased in May 2018) to save money on interest. I should have it paid off in a year (originally a 6 year loan).

I make 16 dollars an hour doing retail, 40 hours a week during winter, and as much overtime as I can get in the summer, but I'm not counting that because it's not guaranteed. So roughly 33k a year, no 401k or plans offered. No health insurance.

I just recently have been thinking about future retirement and how impossible it seems. Before that thought my goal was to get a dependable vehicle, pay that off, and then start saving for a down payment on a house so I'm not throwing rent money away (currently renting an apartment at 630 per month). But now that I thought about retirement and lack of health insurance. I don't know what my best course of action is.

Edit: wanted to explain the truck a bit. Before I purchased it (2015 silverado with 50k miles). I had a 2004 Chevy cavalier that was falling apart and it was at the point that repairs were costing more than it was worth. I wanted to get a vehicle for where I live, northern Wisconsin, in an area that doesn't get plowed much. I got stuck several times with my little car, people suggested truck for ground clearance and 4 wheel drive. I suppose I could've gotten an older truck, but I wanted to invest in something I hope to have running well after 20+ years. I didn't want to buy a cheap truck with a lot of miles and possibly have a similar repair situation in a few years.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

That one is mostly just sad. The fact that he's paying off his 6 year loan in a year suggests he can prioritize, but this is a guy without a degree and likely no specialized skills, working in a dying industry, making not a lot without the prospect of making more without healthcare to boot. Honestly this is a person who can't really afford any car, but since this is America, he can't afford not to have one either.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
In New Zealand Gareth Morgan rich guy and economist decided that wiping out cats would save the native birds.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10860618

He really exceeded expectations after going on an idiotic rant after the Prime Minister's cat was hit by a car. It also helped end his political career.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/98670017/gareth-morgan-questions-pms-value-of-native-wildlife-after-her-cat-paddles-killed-by-car

Clearly no cats is GWM. However what's better than no cats is having the neighbour's cats visit so you don't have to pay for food or vet bills and get to cuddle them for free.

fake edit: Should I buy a clydesdale with 50,000 miles on the clock?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Murderball posted:

Horse psychologist, GreatWM

Be a Horsewitch, get the best of every world.

No longer in AI but while we're doing this crossover,

canyoneer posted:

To be considered “used,” most Americans say you need an mileage of about 100,000.

ps: welcome home, BWM bird!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

It always a loving truck (except when it’s a mustang), bought for reasons that essentially anything else but a truck would be better at!

Did I get this thread booted to AI when I :lol:d at that AI goon for buying a used truck with a 78mo loan?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Cacafuego posted:

It always a loving truck (except when it’s a mustang), bought for reasons that essentially anything else but a truck would be better at!

Did I get this thread booted to AI when I :lol:d at that AI goon for buying a used truck with a 78mo loan?

No Chris did when he talked about his COMPETITION SPEC M2 BMW while that topic was on probation but now we're in Pet Island so it's all :cool: again.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What! That's not even true!

... I don't think

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
For how much we talk about cars and horses, this thread was long overdue for a forum tour anyway

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And crypto, so gotta get to yospos or whatever

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Here's the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/aj52w1/seeking_advice_future_concerns_as_a_31_yo_making/

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

therobit posted:

Petition to change thread title to "As preventative maintenance, Change your new cat every 2 years" while we visit PI.
ftfy

efb

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

And then, get this, the judge asks, "WHY THE LONG FACE"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Dik Hz posted:

ftfy

efb

I thought of that but I didn't think PI would like the idea that you would ever get rid of one. I was trying to be considerate of our hosts.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

therobit posted:

I thought of that but I didn't think PI would like the idea that you would ever get rid of one. I was trying to be considerate of our hosts.

We all know the trade in value on a used cat is worse than the rustiest FCA shitcar. So you just acquire new ones to keep your credit score high.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

howdoesishotweb posted:

We all know the trade in value on a used cat is worse than the rustiest FCA shitcar. So you just acquire new ones to keep your credit score high.

You get more if you sell them private party instead of to an animal testing research facility.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

You get more if you sell them private party instead of to an animal testing research facility.

but what if you're cat loan is underwater?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Devian666 posted:

but what if you're cat loan is underwater?

Take it out of the burlap sack to start with.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Are resale prices on used cats finally recovering, or is that just the dead cat bounce?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

~~Tale as old as time (again)~~

Good Credit but Low Income

OP posted:

I’m looking to finance a 2018 Mustang GT or 2016-2018 Camaro SS preferably used so I can save some money.

I’m currently 23 and have a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost which I’m going to sell privately so I can “upgrade” to a V8. I was 20 back when I bought I this car new in April 2016 and I got a pretty good APR (4.9) even though it was my first car and I had pretty much no income, but I gave $12,000 down on it.

I’m going to sell the Ecoboost to a friend who is going to give me 21,000 for it and I currently owe $14,200 and I’ll have about $7,000 left over which I can put some as a down payment on the new car.

Now the problem is that I don’t have to much provable income. In 2018 I made about $20,000 which I can prove and my credit score at the moment is 663 with my credit cards almost full but I haven’t had any late payments ever.

I’m going to be using a co-signer who has a credit score of 755 but again she also has little income.

I’m looking at cars in the price range of $32,000 and I want to give about $3,000-$4,000 as down payment and keep my monthly payments at around $520 or lower, but what are the chances of actually getting approved?

OP posted:

I’m on my parents insurance and the difference from what I’m paying now is $31 a month for the Mustang GT and $15 for the Camaro SS.

OP posted:

I should’ve mentioned that when I got my car back in 2016 my credit score was 713 and I only owed about $3,000 in credit cards and now I’m about $11,000 in credit card debt.

This is going to work out spectacularly for all involved: dumbass kid, his equally dumb co-signer, his parents paying his insurance (which will probably skyrocket once he gets in his first accident)...

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

~~Tale as old as time (again)~~

Good Credit but Low Income

This is going to work out spectacularly for all involved: dumbass kid, his equally dumb co-signer, his parents paying his insurance (which will probably skyrocket once he gets in his first accident)...

I like it, but can we work pets in there somehow?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I like it, but can we work pets in there somehow?

Hmm, I’m reading through that fool’s reddit posts and maybe I’ll find some elaborate dressage purchases. All I’m finding so far is that he’s really into shoes and is also looking at buying a Rolex :laugh:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Cacafuego posted:

Hmm, I’m reading through that fool’s reddit posts and maybe I’ll find some elaborate dressage purchases. All I’m finding so far is that he’s really into shoes and is also looking at buying a Rolex :laugh:

He’s into fake sneakers and is looking to buy a fake Rolex. That’s what “rep” means in that context.

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 24, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The time our 3 month old puppy got sick had me imagining explaining to my wife that a $4k stay in the Ivy league doggie ICU was not something we should be paying for.

Thankfully he just needed some IVFs and antibiotics, which were cheaper if someone prescribed them for a human...

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 24, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My former co-worker loved his dogs so much. He was DINK so he could afford it, but one required 4 blood transfusions before finally expiring. Each pint cost about $700. And that was just the blood and not any of the other procedures needed so this animal could continue making GBS threads itself at every opportunity.

therobit posted:

Are resale prices on used cats finally recovering, or is that just the dead cat bounce?

:golfclap:

Even if you're upside down on your cat, just let them go because they'll always land right-side up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"people in The Country do it" is like the biggest warning sign it's wrong.

Indoor cats are perfectly happy, live MUCH longer, and don't get terrible diseases, eaten by predators, hit by cars, hosed with by people, etc. If a cat is whining to go outside, it's bored and under stimulated. (or it spent a lot of its life outside... Pandora's box was opened)

Cats are also horrible for their environment as they kill everything and each other.

Indoor cats are best cats.

Or do what we do, leash the cat and take it for a walk.

It should be said, it works, but only if you accept that the cat is really walking you

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Cat stock price has gone up about $1 a share since this morning.

Other ways to invest in cats

"The pet industry is booming," writes JJ Kinahan, chief strategist at TD Ameritrade, in an email.

I also learned there are something called CAT bonds that pay out a bit each year except in the case of natural disaster where you might lose most of your investment. So clearly the best way to make money is to short sell CAT bonds then cause a nuclear war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Tomfoolery posted:

Cat stock price has gone up about $1 a share since this morning.

Other ways to invest in cats

"The pet industry is booming," writes JJ Kinahan, chief strategist at TD Ameritrade, in an email.

I also learned there are something called CAT bonds that pay out a bit each year except in the case of natural disaster where you might lose most of your investment. So clearly the best way to make money is to short sell CAT bonds then cause a nuclear war.

CAT bonds seem like a real bad investment as increasing greenhouse gas levels make once-in-a-century storms start popping up every few years. Betting against climate change is BWM.