Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

What could the conversion fee on that be? 1% - 3%.

So, risk $422k to save $4.2k to $12.6k? Like, I get it but Jesus Christ not when the outcomes are either you save a used car or lose a house worth of cash.

Do rich people - and I’d consider a 30 year old with $422k saved as rich - have the time to look at their money and worry about paying such little amounts of tax (ie $4.2k-$12.6k) when converting, or do they have a “money person” who is feeding them this info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Do rich people - and I’d consider a 30 year old with $422k saved as rich - have the time to look at their money and worry about paying such little amounts of tax (ie $4.2k-$12.6k) when converting, or do they have a “money person” who is feeding them this info?

This person obviously didn't as no legitimate CPA or Financial Advisor would have suggested such an insanely foolish plan.

I manage my own money, but I do have a CPA that I use for advice and sanity checks on tax efficiency and the like. I know other people who just shovel all of their stuff at a firm to manage for them because they have no interest in dealing with those kinds of thing and/or feel like they aren't qualified to do so.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cacafuego posted:

422k isn’t that rich, and engineers - especially software “engineers” are loath to ask people for advise. Especially someone who studied a non-stem field like finance.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

No there is no "money person" feeding them info in most cases. This kid decided to take him lump sum with him by basically strapping it to the roof of his car in a clear plastic box using nothing but twine then stayed the night at the cheapest motel in the bad part of town instead of doing what literally any rational person would do: leave it in usd until he needed it or wire it across for cad using a bank. Hell even a "normal" I don't trust the banks person would have put it in a duffle bag in the trunk and brought it inside the motel.

That is some dumb get rich quick level bullshit and I feel literally 0 sympathy for him.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

So, risk $422k to save $4.2k to $12.6k? Like, I get it but Jesus Christ not when the outcomes are either you save a used car or lose a house worth of cash.

BWM: 1-3% wise, 100% foolish

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The money person is the guy he did iowaska with at the hackerthon after party

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

BWM: 1-3% wise, 100% foolish

Mods

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The worst Bruce Lee movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Midjack posted:

The worst Bruce Lee movie.

QuadragonCX

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

Not only that, but there is already a market mechanism to do that using your regulated and insured broker, known in Canada as Norbit's Gambit.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Cacafuego posted:

“Smart” people always believe they’ll never fall for “one weird trick” and that they can use raw intelligence to min max everything. Plus, tech people have a loving hard on for anything that uses tech to avoid existing systems.

Having worked with software engineers, the ayahuasca joke isn’t that far off. It was probably a fellow soylent bro though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Humans not good predictors of risk. Beep bop beep. Profession not a variable in stupidity. 001001.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
STEM dorks are the best (and SA has a high proportion of them) because they'll see a data point like "90% of active investors lose to index investors" and take it is an irresistible challenge to come up with their own stock picking system.

Which will inevitably fail, not because they were wrong, but because the market is rigged, the market is influenced by idiots, "this market is no longer grounded in reality", etc

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Paying 1% - 3% on a large amount of hard-earned money does suck, and I can totally empathise with this guy wanting to avoid that. But if you're going to use something as shady as crypto to do it, wouldn't you at the very least transfer it in smaller chunks rather than doing it all at once?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

The money person is the guy he did iowaska with at the hackerthon after party

Iowaska is nothing but corn syrup. I think you're taking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayahuasca?wprov=sfla1

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

The very link you posted shows that as one accepted spelling though.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Mantle posted:

Not only that, but there is already a market mechanism to do that using your regulated and insured broker, known in Canada as Norbit's Gambit.

Yeah, just googling "canada us currency exchange fees" or something will pop up a bunch of articles about how he could've exchanged his money for a few hundred bucks. (It's Norbert's Gambit, not that it matters, because any vaguely related search terms would find it. Norbert is s funny name though.)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Enchanted Hat posted:

Paying 1% - 3% on a large amount of hard-earned money does suck, and I can totally empathise with this guy wanting to avoid that. But if you're going to use something as shady as crypto to do it, wouldn't you at the very least transfer it in smaller chunks rather than doing it all at once?

At least they didn't try real estate, guaranteed 6% transaction costs ought to be illegal.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Huh? Where's the BWM thread?

Where could it be? Camera lenses are BWM!
*checks dorkroom*
Nope.

Another card derail?
*checks AI*
Nope.

I've got it, preppers!
*checks TFR*
Ahhh!

No, I will not bookmark it. The hunt is half the fun.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

theHUNGERian posted:

Huh? Where's the BWM thread?

Where could it be? Camera lenses are BWM!
*checks dorkroom*
Nope.

Another card derail?
*checks AI*
Nope.

I've got it, preppers!
*checks TFR*
Ahhh!

No, I will not bookmark it. The hunt is half the fun.
I'm loving the BWM world tour. Whichever mod moved it initially deserves some sort of prize.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The BFC mod, and who could blame 'em

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I was talking with a client and he was checking the approval for his suppressor (only like almost a year). Don’t try anything at that guy’s bank.

The BWM was us talking about how much we wanted to buy wood furniture for ARs and just fudd them to hell and back.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

crazypeltast52 posted:

The BWM was us talking about how much we wanted to buy wood furniture for ARs and just fudd them to hell and back.

Do it:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have wood AR furniture but no AR to stick it on :retrogames:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

:piss:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I know a goon who bought a desert eagle around when CS 6.0 or so was big. He forgot to clean it and I’m not sure what that does exactly but it reached a state of inoperability

He knows how dumb of an idea it was now

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alan Smithee posted:

I know a goon who bought a desert eagle around when CS 6.0 or so was big. He forgot to clean it and I’m not sure what that does exactly but it reached a state of inoperability

He knows how dumb of an idea it was now

"Deagle" used to be a bannable word in TFR. Might still be.

They sell one in gold tiger stripe finish which I cannot hate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

"Deagle" used to be a bannable word in TFR. Might still be.

They sell one in gold tiger stripe finish which I cannot hate.

It's not a hanging offense lately.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Since we're still not back in BFC, I just want to say that next weekend I am going to take a look at a 10 year old BMW with a V8 engine. :getin:

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
If it's the only one worth getting then enjoy your rod bearing job.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

If it's the only one worth getting then enjoy your rod bearing job.

Already done. :getin:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Since we're in a gun forum now, BWM is surfing ebay for reloading equipment.

I keep seeing C&R stuff on aimsurplus and, welp, guess I need another gun. How can I say no to a CZ82 for $200. Or a Romanian Tokarev for $220?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Ahhhh tax season is beginning. Satisfying reading about dual high income couples having meltdowns because they owe a tax bill. You see, they increased their withholding so they didn’t give the government a loan. Those TCJA withholding tables should give us plenty of content this year.

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 11, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

howdoesishotweb posted:

Ahhhh tax season is beginning. Satisfying reading about dual high income couples having meltdowns because they owe a tax bill. You see, they increased their withholding so they didn’t give the government a loan. Those TCJA withholding tables should give us plenty of content this year.

I'm gonna have to bitch a little about this, because my wife and I have always claimed zero on our W4s but still have to pay at the end of the year because our government is stupid.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Average refunds going down is a good thing overall but if this is what it takes to make people mad about this bullshit tax bill, I’m not going to correct them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I'm gonna have to bitch a little about this, because my wife and I have always claimed zero on our W4s but still have to pay at the end of the year because our government is stupid.

If you live in a state with high income tax, you can get hit with AMT even when you claim zero, it's awesome.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

howdoesishotweb posted:

I think many dual high income couples will be pleasantly surprised by their tax bill this year, which I'm pretty sure was the whole point of the tax cuts.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I think many dual high income couples will be pleasantly surprised by their tax bill this year, which I'm pretty sure was the whole point of the tax cuts.

If you put your info into the tax caster app it gives you an old law/new law summary. Despite being very against the law it is quite good for me personally, saving me $3700.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

As long as a significant amount of their itemized deductions weren't from high state taxes and mortgage interest on their suburban mini-mansion or small 1 bedroom in San Francisco then...yeah, anyone making more than $200k will probably have no problem with the tax cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Can confirm :v: