Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I wrapped up another small piece: a case for a TV, so you can use it as a play surface for tabletop roleplaying games. It's not strictly-speaking quite done, as I still need to install a couple of cooling fans, but the carpentry is done.

(Apologies for the lovely photos)

The wood is a few old boards I had lying around that were leftovers after other projects. They were old and sun-bleached enough that it wasn't until I'd resurfaced them that I was able to conclusively identify the species: sapele and cherry for the bulk of the case, with a bit of maple for the mortised (edit: mitered) top portion. The finish is "The Good Stuff", a wipe-on oil-based urethane finish that I'm pleasantly surprised by. It's easy to apply, cures fairly quickly, and leaves a finish that I'm pretty happy with. That said, I don't know what'll happen to it as it ages.

I feel pretty good about this piece. My dovetails are continuing to get better, and just as importantly, I'm getting better at hiding the gaps. I only made one really glaring procedural error (that I know of :v:): lingering too long with the belt sander when trying to even out the join between two of the boards, which left a divot along the top edge of the frame, between the sapele and maple. I was able to fill that in with a little scrap and some sawdust and glue.

I'm starting to wonder how much of being an experienced woodworker is making precise cuts that fit together smoothly, and how much of it is having the knowhow to hide mistakes.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm starting to wonder how much of being an experienced woodworker is making precise cuts that fit together smoothly, and how much of it is having the knowhow to hide mistakes.

Im starting to think most of it is experience to know when “good enough” is.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
The running joke in a shop I worked in was "trim'll hide it"

Its a combination of good cuts, fixing/hiding mistakes, and not being overly critical. Besides they are nothing more than makers marks that prove it is hand made :v:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

That's beautiful. Any good rec for chisels to do just the Laurel leaves and any vids or book for instruction?

I've been doing a bit of chip carving but it's really not gonna translate well to maple and cherry furniture like I'm working now.
I have this set https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...9702d31fb000995 and this set, which I got for like 50% off one year after Christmas https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...9702d31fb000995 plus a few things I've added here and there (small grounding tools from Ashley Iles, and a few odd backbent gouges) and they pretty much cover everything you'd need for classical relief carving. I know nothing about carving in the round, but you need a bunch of backbent stuff. Hirsch, pfeil,Two Cherries, Auriou, and Stubai are all good continental brands, and Henry Taylor and Ashley Iles are good British makers, but the British/London pattern numbering system is different and the numbers don't line up. I will say the Pfeil stuff comes razor sharp out of the box which is good-sharp really really matters with carving. Most of my carving chisels I just buff/strop and almost never grind or put on a stone. The problem with buying carving chisels is they are very expensive to buy individually, but sets always come with 3 tools you don't need etc. Sometimes sets of old oddball carving stuff comes up on ebay/old tool dealers that can be a good deal if you don't mind taking the time to get them razor sharp, but trying to carve with less than very very sharp tools is quite frustrating.

For the laurel leaves, you could do them all with a #12 6mm 60 degree V chisel, a #7 14mm gouge, a #9 5 or 6mm gouge, a #1 8mm straight chisel (you could probably just use a bench chisel) and a #1 8mm skew. I don't know of anywhere that teaches the laurel leaf specifically, but it's pretty simple. When I get some time, I am going to carve a bit more to make a sample corner to keep and I'll document it if you want. Anything Mary May is good-her new book on the acanthus leaf is great- and she's on Roy Underhill alot. Reading the grain direction/cutting downhill is super important in carving and there's no substitute for just cutting some wood. Poplar carves decently and is good to practice on.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, dang, that's some really nice work. Agreed on the paint, though I can see how it'd make your life easier.

Do you have an estimate for how much wood went into that project, or how much time you spent on it?
I actually have no idea the actual dimensions because I built it all off a story stick and cut to fit. Tape measures ruin everything. It looks like it's 3-4" thick, but it is all built up on a 1 1/2" lamination of baltic birch, so it was all made up from 8/4 stock. It might be 20-30 bf if that? Laborwise I really have no idea. I've been working on this on and off for 9 months as the house kept getting slowed down. I remember making most of the big mouldings in a day or two and assembly probably took 2 days. The carving + sanding I had originally figured at about 3-4hrs/running foot for the laurel leaves, I think I probably spent 25-30? hours total carving and sanding them, so that came out about right. I got much faster carving by the end, but somehow much slower sanding. The corbels I very hurriedly carved in ~6hrs start to finish and it took 2-3 hours to install. Probably in the neighborhood of ~75-100 hours?

I love your TV box, that's a great idea. That finish looks pretty nice too, especially for wipe on poly. There's an old saying to the effect that the difference between an amateur and professional is that a professional knows how (and when) to hide their mistakes.

Jhet posted:

That is some stunning work. It's the sort of detail that makes people really love a house.

When my wife and I lived in Louisville there was detailed work on the mantle around the fireplace and as soon as we saw it we were ready to put in an offer on the space. The rest of the condo was nice enough and we did little projects to make it nicer, but that sort of detail in a few places really did seal it. I think I spent 10 minutes just staring at the work around that 100 year old fireplace.

Let's hope that work you did is around in 100 years for some one else.
I like clean, midcentury modern lines fine and all and there are some very beautiful shapes in that, but to me old carving and inlay draw you in in a way the stripped down stuff just can't. A carved Georgian dining chair with ball and claw foot and acanthus leaf on the knee looks great from across the room because it has, in silhouette, very pretty lines (lines that look an awful lot like the very pretty, cleaner lines of the much-underappreciated Queen Anne stuff before it), but as you get closer you start to see all these other very nice lines and curves inside the silhouette. Closer still, your eye pulls you in and you look at that beautiful ribbon striped mahogany seat rail, and isn't the curve of that claw really nice? When you have your nose against it, you see the way the leaflets on the acanthus knee turn over on themselves and you hadn't even noticed you were smelling the furniture. Midcentury modern just doesn't pull you closer in the same way to me. Acanthus leaves and scrollwork have been looking good for 2500 years, and I don't think they're gonna suddenly turn ugly overnight.

Granite Octopus posted:

Im starting to think most of it is experience to know when “good enough” is.
"Perfect is pretty, but done is beautiful." I learned this at my old job where getting this thing delivered tomorrow meant my boss could make payroll Friday, and suddenly perfect wasn't quite as important as done.

It's the old 80/20 rule-sure you can spend hours sanding whatever you're doing past 220 grit, but I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between sanded to 220 and sanded to 2000 under lacquer, except that the sanded to 2000 won't take dye or stain very well.

And yeah, trim will hide it. People think 'simple' midcentury stuff should be cheaper to build, but there's no moulding to hide behind so all the sudden everything has to be perfect.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Seconding the pfeil tools, they’re legit. I practically sleep with my 3mm #9

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Kick-rear end stuff

V-gouge the silhouette, shallow gouge the ripples, more-or-less?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

tl:dr-I cut down some trees that used to have perfectly good leaves of their own and carved them into new leaves for someone’s fancy fireplace.

That's awesome, super cool work, thanks for sharing.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have this set https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...9702d31fb000995 and this set, which I got for like 50% off one year after Christmas https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...9702d31fb000995 plus a few things I've added here and there (small grounding tools from Ashley Iles, and a few odd backbent gouges) and they pretty much cover everything you'd need for classical relief carving. I know nothing about carving in the round, but you need a bunch of backbent stuff. Hirsch, pfeil,Two Cherries, Auriou, and Stubai are all good continental brands, and Henry Taylor and Ashley Iles are good British makers, but the British/London pattern numbering system is different and the numbers don't line up. I will say the Pfeil stuff comes razor sharp out of the box which is good-sharp really really matters with carving. Most of my carving chisels I just buff/strop and almost never grind or put on a stone. The problem with buying carving chisels is they are very expensive to buy individually, but sets always come with 3 tools you don't need etc. Sometimes sets of old oddball carving stuff comes up on ebay/old tool dealers that can be a good deal if you don't mind taking the time to get them razor sharp, but trying to carve with less than very very sharp tools is quite frustrating.

For the laurel leaves, you could do them all with a #12 6mm 60 degree V chisel, a #7 14mm gouge, a #9 5 or 6mm gouge, a #1 8mm straight chisel (you could probably just use a bench chisel) and a #1 8mm skew. I don't know of anywhere that teaches the laurel leaf specifically, but it's pretty simple. When I get some time, I am going to carve a bit more to make a sample corner to keep and I'll document it if you want. Anything Mary May is good-her new book on the acanthus leaf is great- and she's on Roy Underhill alot. Reading the grain direction/cutting downhill is super important in carving and there's no substitute for just cutting some wood. Poplar carves decently and is good to practice on.

I actually have no idea the actual dimensions because I built it all off a story stick and cut to fit. Tape measures ruin everything. It looks like it's 3-4" thick, but it is all built up on a 1 1/2" lamination of baltic birch, so it was all made up from 8/4 stock. It might be 20-30 bf if that? Laborwise I really have no idea. I've been working on this on and off for 9 months as the house kept getting slowed down. I remember making most of the big mouldings in a day or two and assembly probably took 2 days. The carving + sanding I had originally figured at about 3-4hrs/running foot for the laurel leaves, I think I probably spent 25-30? hours total carving and sanding them, so that came out about right. I got much faster carving by the end, but somehow much slower sanding. The corbels I very hurriedly carved in ~6hrs start to finish and it took 2-3 hours to install. Probably in the neighborhood of ~75-100 hours?

I love your TV box, that's a great idea. That finish looks pretty nice too, especially for wipe on poly. There's an old saying to the effect that the difference between an amateur and professional is that a professional knows how (and when) to hide their mistakes.

I like clean, midcentury modern lines fine and all and there are some very beautiful shapes in that, but to me old carving and inlay draw you in in a way the stripped down stuff just can't. A carved Georgian dining chair with ball and claw foot and acanthus leaf on the knee looks great from across the room because it has, in silhouette, very pretty lines (lines that look an awful lot like the very pretty, cleaner lines of the much-underappreciated Queen Anne stuff before it), but as you get closer you start to see all these other very nice lines and curves inside the silhouette. Closer still, your eye pulls you in and you look at that beautiful ribbon striped mahogany seat rail, and isn't the curve of that claw really nice? When you have your nose against it, you see the way the leaflets on the acanthus knee turn over on themselves and you hadn't even noticed you were smelling the furniture. Midcentury modern just doesn't pull you closer in the same way to me. Acanthus leaves and scrollwork have been looking good for 2500 years, and I don't think they're gonna suddenly turn ugly overnight.

"Perfect is pretty, but done is beautiful." I learned this at my old job where getting this thing delivered tomorrow meant my boss could make payroll Friday, and suddenly perfect wasn't quite as important as done.

It's the old 80/20 rule-sure you can spend hours sanding whatever you're doing past 220 grit, but I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between sanded to 220 and sanded to 2000 under lacquer, except that the sanded to 2000 won't take dye or stain very well.

And yeah, trim will hide it. People think 'simple' midcentury stuff should be cheaper to build, but there's no moulding to hide behind so all the sudden everything has to be perfect.

Somehow I knew Ashley Isles chisels were going to be involved. I bought a pretty complete set years ago on a whim when the local Paxtons had them on clearance. Was gonna learn the finer points of wood carving.
Well, speaking of finer points, I was leaning on one knife trying to clean up a joint or something, don't remember, and it slipped and nearly hara-kiri'd me. :histdowns: 2 clean slices one above the navel, one below, right through my hoodie. I sold them all the next day for less than half what I'd paid, and immediately regretted it ever since.

Great work on the mantel, btw. :discourse:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm so tired of not having enough cargo space to transport sheets or timber lengths. Every online supplier has their own arcane rules and restrictions around delivery that makes it effectively impossible to get anything delivered for a reasonable price.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm so tired of not having enough cargo space to transport sheets or timber lengths. Every online supplier has their own arcane rules and restrictions around delivery that makes it effectively impossible to get anything delivered for a reasonable price.

I bought the cheapest 4x8 flat top trailer I could find and just strap down stuff to that. Cost like $250 and I can haul all the sheet goods and 10' long pipe / beams easily enough with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1FGTGarmlQ

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I love these kids so much.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That Works posted:

I bought the cheapest 4x8 flat top trailer I could find and just strap down stuff to that. Cost like $250 and I can haul all the sheet goods and 10' long pipe / beams easily enough with it.

The idea of towing a trailer does terrify me more than somewhat

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I had toyed with the idea more than once of dropping a few hundred on a crappy little pickup truck just for hauling plywood and tools and stuff, but I don't think you can do that anymore since Cash for Clunkers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's really not that bad. I was terrified the 1st time I pulled mine but the little 4x8 ones you can take off and pull around with one hand. Learning how to back it into the driveway was fun for my neighbors to watch I am sure but after one day of loving around with it I got it working no problem.

There's literal millions of illiterate rednecks towing boats around without destroying themselves and everyone around them, so you can do it if you wanted. I just cruised my local Craigslist until I saw one pop up for < $300. Made a huge difference in being able to jaunt out ASAP to get people dumping plywood, lumber etc for free nearby or for getting some of the larger power tools etc I got off craigslist as well. I have a Jeep Cherokee and a Prius, so loading up anything bigger than 4'x4' becomes nearly impossible otherwise.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

That Works posted:

It's really not that bad. I was terrified the 1st time I pulled mine but the little 4x8 ones you can take off and pull around with one hand. Learning how to back it into the driveway was fun for my neighbors to watch I am sure but after one day of loving around with it I got it working no problem.

There's literal millions of illiterate rednecks towing boats around without destroying themselves and everyone around them, so you can do it if you wanted. I just cruised my local Craigslist until I saw one pop up for < $300. Made a huge difference in being able to jaunt out ASAP to get people dumping plywood, lumber etc for free nearby or for getting some of the larger power tools etc I got off craigslist as well. I have a Jeep Cherokee and a Prius, so loading up anything bigger than 4'x4' becomes nearly impossible otherwise.

What up Jeep + $250 4x8 trailer buddy :hfive:

I picked up the Harbor Freight one on sale, it is light and bounces when empty but easy to drive. Granted I have not taken it on a Texas highway (70mp/h posted nobody does less than 80), I feel like i should weight it down before trying that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:eyepop:
tl:dr-I cut down some trees that used to have perfectly good leaves of their own and carved them into new leaves for someone’s fancy fireplace.

Wow, thank you for sharing the finished product.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I drove around a city once with huge sticks of moulding hanging out my subaru drivers side window. I had to put it out the driver side because I had to push against the wind so it wouldn't flex and break :D I know what you mean

That Works posted:

uh, is this deal still available.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

uh, is this deal still available.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lbs-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62648.html

Wait for a coupon

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Right before Christmas they had a coupon for $250 (with tax) for that trailer and I jumped on it. It took about 5 hours to put together. The 20% coupon will get close at $280.

One thing to note, it can fold in half for storage but requires taking bolts out that are held in with locking nuts. Personally I would not trust loosing/tightening them over time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well I got tired of loving around online and went down to the local big box, on the understanding that they have a sheet cutting service so I could at least get stuff in the car.

The sheet cutting machine was broken.

OK no problem I'll just buy 4 2x4ft sheets instead of one 8x4ft since that's how I was going to have them cut down anyway.

Twice the price, you say?

OK let's talk to customer service and see if they'll sell me a sheet's worth of smaller pieces for the price of a sheet, since they could restock easily as soon as the machine was back up.

Manager says no, huh? Oh another store has their's working? Only 45 minutes' drive?

I wound up buying packs of T&G loft boarding since it came out about the same price and fit in the car. Annoyed, but I got all my stuff and now the house smells like pine from the 9 lengths of 2x3" I carted home partially sticking out of the car window.

Only took 5 hours to buy some fuckin' wood.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Harbor Freight trailers are in sort of indefinite hiatus. DOT declared something about the wheels bad and last heard they were fixed but HF either hasn't started stocking them yet or they are waiting for something else to get finalized.

I just grabbed a pretty old used one for $250 off Craigslist as I had to haul a bunch of crap around for new home stuff anyways. People are always selling trailers of varying quality on CL.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Super Waffle posted:

I had toyed with the idea more than once of dropping a few hundred on a crappy little pickup truck just for hauling plywood and tools and stuff, but I don't think you can do that anymore since Cash for Clunkers

I got a 96 Tacoma a few years ago for the explicit purpose of hauling plywood and things made from plywood and I talked it down to $3k

And then two months later lumped $2k into a new transmission

No regrets but it’s definitely a rare find and still well past an impulse buy for most people

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
:psyduck:

I've stumbled into the following:

-Delta Unisaw, with extended wings, 6 blades, and a dado stack. New power switch, replaced by the owner (an electrician) and in pristine condition. All jigs included.

-Delta 6 inch standalone jointer
-Old standalone Craftsman drill press
-Router table with 2 plunge routers (bases included, bits included, jigs included)
-2 dust collectors (woodcraft cheapo and a standalone)
- midi lathe with stand and lathe tools
- Sjoberg jointer's bench (similar to this one: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/541135711452192022/?lp=true)
- delta mortiser with chisels

A friend's dad is closing his basement shop due to health issues.

He said he would part with this for 2300 usd.

I nearly broke my nose on the glass to the credit union to finance that purchase.

more info to come!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Home Depot rents trucks and trailers and stuff by the hour. If you can manage your shopping to be like once or twice a year, the added cost of a $20 or $30 rental isn't too bad.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Leperflesh posted:

Home Depot rents trucks and trailers and stuff by the hour. If you can manage your shopping to be like once or twice a year, the added cost of a $20 or $30 rental isn't too bad.

Yea for sure, when you're up to 5-6 times a year you might as well buy one

I've broken a HF omt, grinder and a bunch of jigsaw blades with pretty light initial use, I'd be real hesitant driving at 50 with one of those behind me from harbor freight. I'm sure there is something from that store that doesn't break instantly but I haven't found it yet

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I've broken a HF omt, grinder and a bunch of jigsaw blades with pretty light initial use, I'd be real hesitant driving at 50 with one of those behind me from harbor freight. I'm sure there is something from that store that doesn't break instantly but I haven't found it yet

And my Compressor, scroll saw, planar, belt sanders, dust collection, and precision metal lathe (a few broken parts) have been going strong ranging back over 10 years.

People love to bag on HF but if you don't buy the cheapest poo poo on the shelf they have some decent stuff. It helps to buy the stuff in person so you can inspect the quality before purchase, and do your research if you plan to drop more than $100 on anything.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

HF is not going to get a class action lawsuit for lovely jigsaw blades, which you'll break no matter who the maker is. I've bought lovely tools from DeWalt and Bosch that were just poorly designed.
Otoh, with your track record, even with a simple trailer, ymmv....

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I dunno, I didn't buy the cheapest poo poo they had, I don't love to bag on HF. Its just a fact for me: everything I've bought there has broken fairly quickly during its intended use. I looked up the products you listed that worked for you and they seem to have a similar range of complaints. Some people like it, some people have it break on them immediately. Luck of the draw I guess and I don't want to play that game with a trailer.

Mr. Mambold posted:

HF is not going to get a class action lawsuit for lovely jigsaw blades, which you'll break no matter who the maker is. I've bought lovely tools from DeWalt and Bosch that were just poorly designed.
Otoh, with your track record, even with a simple trailer, ymmv....

Yea I didn't realize that low quality jigsaw blades would break that quickly. I was hoping to at least get a few cuts out of them. I bought a set of bosch blades and the quality difference was unbelievable.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Well, like I said, check out CL for used trailers, in RI they popped up all the time within 50 miles from me and it only took like 2 weeks of looking before I had one that fit my needs. If you're like me, and only using it to haul sheet goods or lumber for the 10 mile drive from Home Depot or other lumber stores and am only loading it up with like 300lbs or less 99% of the time it's pretty forgiving.

Also read up on how to pack wheel bearings and do that as soon as you get the trailer, new or used. It's easy as poo poo to do and one of the main points of failure for trailers if not maintained / done properly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Did I mention my latest woodworking project? I really only wanted to destroy it. If I'd given it some thought, I'd have tried to maybe leave the limbs longer and sculpt them into snake heads or arms.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Mambold posted:

Did I mention my latest woodworking project? I really only wanted to destroy it. If I'd given it some thought, I'd have tried to maybe leave the limbs longer and sculpt them into snake heads or arms.

That thing has more branches than my credit union.

“I don’t pay for the truck . I pay for it to leave.”

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Anyone want to make a clock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EjGzlMjac

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

dupersaurus posted:

Seconding the pfeil tools, they’re legit. I practically sleep with my 3mm #9

V-gouge the silhouette, shallow gouge the ripples, more-or-less?
Yes basically. What've you been carving with that #9?

I used the #9 to run along the middle to make a raised vein, the 7/14 cut crossgrain to make the ripples, the #1/8mm skew to really cut down deep in the little corners where the leaves meet to make it more like one leaf is on top of the other. Used the flat chisel and skew to round the transitions from concave to convex. It adds the appearance of more depth if you make the low ripples on one leaf opposite the high ripple on the one it's next too, and cutting a scallop in the edges of the low edges seemed to make it all look better and emphasize the shape of the leaf, but do that after you cut the ripples with the 7/14. Another good trick that cleans everything up, is to turn the V chisel so one edge is on the wood basically, and do the final outlining (after most of the modelling/shaping) with the chisel turned like that. It slightly undercuts the edge and makes more of a shadow and cleans all the trash out of the bottom of the cut.
This might make more sense:

Not much of a process shot, but shows a bit how it starts out. I definitely deepened all the cuts from here.

I really do, but I don't think I have the patience or precision for it. John Harrison who famously invented the first really accurate marine chronometer made his first clocks out of wood-oak and lignum vitae and boxwood I think.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wood, and particularly plywood, is a surprisingly suitable material for clocks.

The forces involved a really low. A typical clock is driven with less than one milliwatt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vQelV1vSww

Some time I want to build a clock with an Arnfield escapement like this one.

It’s a design developed in 1987 that solved a problem that had never been solved during the heyday of mechanical clocks (by eliminating a source of variable friction and therefore error).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yes basically. What've you been carving with that #9?

I’ve carved a mask and a little bust, but mostly blocks for printmaking. I’ve got a couple of blocks of mahogany (probably) ready to sculpt when I find the time though

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's not that bad, but storing it can be a pain in the dick. If you decide to get a trailer the best bang for the buck in the UK is an old trailer tent at 6*4 generally, strip everything out and buy a bunch of ratchet straps. Alternatively get a roof rack, but think real carefully about the boards flapping up or down at speed due to aerodynamics. I went the trailer route because we use it for camping too, total cost with new tyres & wheels ~£100

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Can someone recommend a decent drill press in the under $200 range? I took a chance on the highly rated WEN 10" and it was an absolute rattletrap. Spindle and both belt wheels were comically high in runout. Took 3 emails with their customer service team before I booted it back to amazon.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Hasselblad posted:

Can someone recommend a decent drill press in the under $200 range? I took a chance on the highly rated WEN 10" and it was an absolute rattletrap. Spindle and both belt wheels were comically high in runout. Took 3 emails with their customer service team before I booted it back to amazon.

I have this one:
https://www.sears.com/craftsman-10inch-bench-drill-press-with-laser/p-00934983000P

I haven't used it a ton, but I've never had issues with it

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have this one:
https://www.sears.com/craftsman-10inch-bench-drill-press-with-laser/p-00934983000P

I haven't used it a ton, but I've never had issues with it

Same on both points

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Much obliged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Hasselblad posted:

I've also got the WEN and this loving thing flexes under pressure. Can't drill without wobbles, can't press.

What do I call it?