Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Taear posted:

I'm going to say this is the first time I'm just absolutely not excited.

The first episode was nice enough and it's not a bad thing the contestants aren't that high profile ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Taear posted:

While I'm really enjoying Ghosts I'm also getting a bit annoyed with them using the story vehicle of her constantly talking to the Ghosts when other people are around and coming off like a mad person.
There's times when it makes sense but really if you can't just ignore them then don't stand in a room with them while filming is going on.

I have not yet seen 'Ghosts' but isn't this something a Bluetooth or just holding a phone would sort out?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Unkempt posted:

I have not yet seen 'Ghosts' but isn't this something a Bluetooth or just holding a phone would sort out?

I....don't know what you mean.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Taear posted:

I....don't know what you mean.

If you put a bluetooth headset on people will think you are talking on the phone rather than talking to invisible ghosts or imaginary friends.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

marktheando posted:

If you put a bluetooth headset on people will think you are talking on the phone rather than talking to invisible ghosts or imaginary friends.

Oh right, that wouldn't work in any of the situations in the show.
She's not just talking to herself as she walks around, she's saying things to the ghosts while mid-conversation to other people or in closed quiet sets and etc.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Dell_Zincht posted:

Once you've had Bob Mortimer on, you can't possibly get better.

That said, I quite enjoyed it, bit weird seeing Paul Sinha taking up Noel Fielding/Phil Wang's "strange" outfit shtick, also he's about as charismatic as he is on The Chase (not very.)

Joe Thomas is pretty much what I expected, Iain Stirling's rant about ventroliqism was funny and i'm strangely attracted to Lou Sanders.

I thought Iain Stirling's rant was rubbish. Just getting louder and angrier until the audience eventually laughed despite not actually having been funny. Lou Sanders was fun and she is attractive

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Paperhouse posted:

I thought Iain Stirling's rant was rubbish. Just getting louder and angrier until the audience eventually laughed despite not actually having been funny. Lou Sanders was fun and she is attractive

They laughed because getting angier and louder is a type of hyperbolic exaggeration. Exaggeration is one of the 8 aspects of comedy that people will laugh at. Therefore if you look closely you will actually see...

Just kidding, though I thought it was a great start to the season, but then again I'm a new fan and I've like almost all of the seasons; so what do I know!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It was okay.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I really liked the hide and seek one.
Iain comes across as a bit of a hyper competitive prick, but then again so did Tim Key (because he is hyper competitive) so I dunno!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

I really liked the hide and seek one.
Iain comes across as a bit of a hyper competitive prick, but then again so did Tim Key (because he is hyper competitive) so I dunno!

Tim Key's hyper-competitiveness was funny because he tried to bend the rules or blatantly cheat as often as he could - when you know the backstory between him and Alex Horne regarding the Perrier award this is even funnier. Also he was part of the original Edinburgh Fringe Taskmaster.

The best thing about Taskmaster though is that every single series has had a surprise standout contestant. I knew Bob Mortimer would be great in S5, I had no idea Sally Philips would be as hilarious as she was.

I get the feeling that Lou Sanders is going to be this series' Sally Philips.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also in that I want to see her gently caress a water cooler

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

Tim Key's hyper-competitiveness was funny because he tried to bend the rules or blatantly cheat as often as he could - when you know the backstory between him and Alex Horne regarding the Perrier award this is even funnier. Also he was part of the original Edinburgh Fringe Taskmaster.

I know. He's still credited as writing tasks too, I wonder which ones are him?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Horne/Key/Watson dynamic is always fun, people should check out We Need Answers if it's online anywhere and also their backstage game No More Women which will revolutionise long car journeys for you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sebzilla posted:

The Horne/Key/Watson dynamic is always fun, people should check out We Need Answers if it's online anywhere and also their backstage game No More Women which will revolutionise long car journeys for you.

We Need Answers is all on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xVtGTUno-Q

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I could watch a whole show of the trainyard hide and seek task.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Lou Sanders really isn’t well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

This week's ghosts was full of proper sitcom writing.
There's another earlier episode where Alison says a line and her partner replies to it where I couldn't imagine two people thinking that way. In this one they did it again - she comes downstairs in a big fancy dress and he says "Oh okay then Downton Abbey". She replies "Downton abbey isn't a person you know". Now to me, everyone would say the former and it seems totally legit, but not that he thought it was a person from that line.

Not to mention them putting a DVD of friends on for the Ghosts just so they'd have an excuse to ask for the disk to be changed when we know the house has internet!

I like the show when the jokes are about the stuff the Ghosts are doing but I like it a lot less when the joke is "Alison sees the ghosts and is talking to them when nobody else can see them". It just makes her look extremely stupid, especially by this point.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

I like the show when the jokes are about the stuff the Ghosts are doing but I like it a lot less when the joke is "Alison sees the ghosts and is talking to them when nobody else can see them". It just makes her look extremely stupid, especially by this point.

Yeah that's getting old fast. That episode felt like a letdown to me a bit. I like the moon subplot, but the old man playing her neighbor in the A plot was so hammy and cheesy that it ruined that entire episode for me. It was the first time I sat staring at the screen waiting to laugh.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Taskmaster: I can't imagine how anyone who rank this as the best series but it is getting better with each episode and it's superior to s6. Joe's awkwardness is great, Iain is coming across as a bit of a twat so I'm enjoying him fail, Lou is the series mandatory crazy one, Paul is just so out of place on the show, and Sian is an ok middle of the road contestant.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Paul Sinha is an idiot.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Good Omens is on Amazon Prime today, I'm one episode in and it's already fantastic.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Julio Cruz posted:

Good Omens is on Amazon Prime today, I'm one episode in and it's already fantastic.

Definitely has a weird doctor who / CBBC budget look to it, odd for an amazon show.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

wooger posted:

Definitely has a weird doctor who / CBBC budget look to it, odd for an amazon show.

Well it's a shared BBC production...

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Angrymog posted:

Well it's a shared BBC production...

Why is it on Amazon Prime on the UK then? Just weird. Same with Killing Eve series 2, still not out in the UK.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

wooger posted:

Why is it on Amazon Prime on the UK then? Just weird. Same with Killing Eve series 2, still not out in the UK.

It’s coming out on BBC 2 at some point, I think?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

wooger posted:

The director has also been a director for Doctor Who and Sherlock, so yeah.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

wooger posted:

The co-production deals for amazon is that they get released on prime first (but not geoblocked) and then serialised in the UK, so they can capture both types of audience I think??

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's fun, I guess. I really liked the book but it's a long while since I read it now.
I'd not call it bad or anything, it's just a bit....flat?

And michael mckean's accent is so loving poo poo. Like unbelievably poo poo. It's destroying any bit he's in. And that's a lot of bits!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Taear posted:

And michael mckean's accent is so loving poo poo. Like unbelievably poo poo. It's destroying any bit he's in. And that's a lot of bits!

Is that the fake Scottish guy played by Saul Goldman’s brother?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Shadwell's accent isn't meant to be recognisable, it's a mishmash. I guess it comes over like a bad Scottish. He's a really good Shadwell, one of the best bits of the show for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Shadwell's accent isn't meant to be recognisable, it's a mishmash. I guess it comes over like a bad Scottish. He's a really good Shadwell, one of the best bits of the show for me.

I remember, and I know McKean is meant to be good at accents, but young Shadwell was just....Scottish. I dunno, it's horrible to listen to. I feel like there's been a few moments that the show isn't explaining quite properly and he's definitely one.

wooger posted:

Is that the fake Scottish guy played by Saul Goldman’s brother?

It's Michael McKean, c'mon.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Taear posted:

I remember, and I know McKean is meant to be good at accents, but young Shadwell was just....Scottish. I dunno, it's horrible to listen to. I feel like there's been a few moments that the show isn't explaining quite properly and he's definitely one.

Yeah, they showed Elvis in the diner with no payoff, and talked about the spare baby possibly growing up to breed tropical fish with no payoff... I thought all the horsemen but War lost out in their introductions too. The Pestilence joke is really good in the book and they just did half of it.

And actually to be fair if they were going to show young Shadwell, and have him be so thoroughly Scottish, I don't know why they didn't just get McKean to do a plain Scottish accent.

Loved the show though!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really enjoying it, the only problem I have is that the kid actors are pretty bad.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
There are a few minor things I'm disappointed they cut out (the Hell's Angels, the Them making their own weapons out of sticks and string, Newt's car's warning system) but overall it was OK, it definitely starts better than it finishes though.

The kids are reasonable but they all struggle a bit when things start getting weird, Adam most of all.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 3, 2019

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

I quite liked it overall, but it reflects the source materials time when it comes to the actual women characters. That and the kid actors being hit and miss.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

There are a few minor things I'm disappointed they cut out ... the Them making their own weapons out of sticks and string ...

I think that was the most baffling change for me. This turned what was a powerful moment in the book into something farcical, where the literal embodiment of war seems to be beaten by having her foot trodden on by a child.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Yeah, they showed Elvis in the diner with no payoff, and talked about the spare baby possibly growing up to breed tropical fish with no payoff... I thought all the horsemen but War lost out in their introductions too. The Pestilence joke is really good in the book and they just did half of it.

And actually to be fair if they were going to show young Shadwell, and have him be so thoroughly Scottish, I don't know why they didn't just get McKean to do a plain Scottish accent.

Loved the show though!

I enjoyed it but yea there are a lot of moments where it felt like a pointless wink at people who read the book and nothing else.
The horsemen felt wasted and so did Satan.

I swear we saw him (satan) in the book and he was a beautiful angel (which makes sense!) and that never happened. Maybe I'm remembering something different where that happens, I dunno.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Taear posted:

I enjoyed it but yea there are a lot of moments where it felt like a pointless wink at people who read the book and nothing else.
The horsemen felt wasted and so did Satan.

I swear we saw him (satan) in the book and he was a beautiful angel (which makes sense!) and that never happened. Maybe I'm remembering something different where that happens, I dunno.

Possibly thinking of Gaiman’s Sandman?

I watched the first episode of Good Omens last night, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Tennant is full 10th Doctor, and Sheen is nicely amiable, I suppose. Looking forward to the story expanding away from them, though.

I could do with slightly less narration, honestly. Just let what’s happening on screen tell the story. It comes across as them desperately trying to force the book’s prose onto the screen (which is obviously great as a book), but comes across as contrived as large chunks are just spoken verbatim.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Possibly thinking of Gaiman’s Sandman?

I watched the first episode of Good Omens last night, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Tennant is full 10th Doctor, and Sheen is nicely amiable, I suppose. Looking forward to the story expanding away from them, though.

I could do with slightly less narration, honestly. Just let what’s happening on screen tell the story. It comes across as them desperately trying to force the book’s prose onto the screen (which is obviously great as a book), but comes across as contrived as large chunks are just spoken verbatim.

Good omens is the only Gaiman book I've ever read.

I'm going to say that without the narration it wouldn't make sense and if you changed it then you'd be changing too much and might as well not bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I used to really like Gaiman's writing when I was a teenager, but now that more and more of his stuff is adapted, and I get to experience it again, I find it more and more insufferable. American Gods was the breaking point for me, where the TV show's problem highlighted problems with the book, and the whole thing just unravelled. I kind of enjoyed the first episode of Good Omens, but I already feel like I'll be watching it with gritted teeth by episode 4.