Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Participation trophies undermined the value of winning and made America weak. Prove me wrong.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, we should take down Confederate monuments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

lmao yes loving yes ty

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

lyin in my death bed, tubes taking away all my shids fards and cames, holding hands with my beautiful unscratched hardwood floor.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

goethe.cx posted:

look at my cool nerd wife! she participates in all the same nerdy hobbies i do. we have to ride elevators separately or otherwise we'd exceed the weight limit

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Ambrose Burnside posted:

the scene: i am restrained in a chair with clockwork orange-style eye hooks engaged. a man is arbitrarily nailing poorly-made hairpin legs to the sides of a damp wooden pallet previously used to transport a leaky cargo of bulk feta cheese. "this coffee table build is great Content", he says. i am screaming and screaming

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The five teams should have been as follows:

A turd
A bowl of Lima beans
A blind person of indeterminate ethnicity
A piece of paper that has "High Cholesterol" written on it in an urgent font
The "iron" player piece from Monopoly

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I know furries and juggalos are our allies against oppression but I'm not down with the clown to pound at the pound.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Bust Rodd posted:

Imagine getting dunked on by Chuck E. Cheese and trying to go about the rest of your day like normal.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Memento posted:

Hey, Young Tom Waits pours greens as fast as Young Tom Waits wants.

BIG BOUNCERS BLASTOFF 3 posted:

Tom Waits for no man.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Which island?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

*The other Tom waits accordionlly*

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm pretty sure a dude wrote a travel book 100 years ago and came to the conclusion that the land itself was blighted and evil, but wasn't sure if the people poisoned it or it poisoned them

I specifically remember his depiction of this one kind of brick, and how the soot from the mills stained it to the color of infected bile, and nobody ever cleaned it off, and why would they because the next day it would be back even worse, and the air smells like slag, and the architecture itself reflects a sickness of the soul, a world without an idea of beauty or good, and the windows of the houses peered back like the orbits of the already dead. The text seemed so lurid but apprehensive, he had to leave you could see it.

One time I was driving thru Ohio and there were unending miles of disused rail and telegraph lines like huge crosses -- eerily pagan seeming, miles of memorials for unknown monsters -- and nobody took any of it down after it went obsolete or ever will. Wood that should have rotted away but refuses. Broken caps of ceramic insulators. Train station with every window stabbed out.

And hedge shrines but not wholesome: rain wet teddy bears and dead flowers and crosses that are far smaller and somehow far more brittle and disintegrating and worm eaten, all together at the end of tire marks that go off the road to where the vegetation burned off and still won't grow again.

Ohio is too often like if magical realism was real, it's like if there was a house where the walls are completely filled with insect hives that stop just at the lead paint, but it's a whole state. Not that long ago some kids were playing with their dog in the park and it came back with an unfamiliar ball -- a human skull tinted dark dark brown by years in the soil. Something's working without end right under the surface and human dignity isn't a part of its design.

You can be in Ohio and choose to look away but it's permeated everything. If you had walked a few more paces off the road you could have fallen into the cellar of some long gone homestead that never had a chance to be on a map. I know people who years ago were in the same situation and literally fell into a graveyard with unreadable tombstones, and the graves had sunken into hollows in the land, in Ohio.

It is no surprise to me that before uncle Sam there were all kinds of hosed up myths about skin walkers, or wendingos, or what the gently caress ever. Some places just aren't well. I think it was somewhere in Ohio where a dude had kept abducted women in his basement for years and his wife and kids were fine with it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sounds about right. I mean look at a map of Ohio and then at a map of Mordor.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OMFG FURRY posted:

pretty much all of the midwest is proof that evil is not only real, it is winning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think the post that inspired that marvel needs including as well;

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I didn't actually understand the American Gothic literary movement until I pulled off the road to pee in Ohio and just, felt the state seeth at me. Ohio is actively malicious in a way normally only ascribed to pedophiles in the Catholic heirarchy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This sounds a ton like Lewiston, Idaho. Do not ever go to Lewiston. It is the worst part of Idaho. Of Idaho. Think about that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This sounds a ton like Lewiston, Idaho. Do not ever go to Lewiston. It is the worst part of Idaho. Of Idaho. Think about that.

Can you validate this Funny Forums Quote™?

Lord of Pie posted:

Idaho's not even a state, it's just a sprawling militia compound with a bunch of taters and mule deer

EorayMel has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Jul 4, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EorayMel posted:

Can you validate this Funny Forums Quote™?
It's false. Many of the militias grow lentils, peas, and wheat instead of potatoes, and there is a large beef and dairy industry in the southern camps.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Idaho is the backbone of the nation's french fry and baked potato industries, and for that I thank them.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
ohio's not sick, it's just angry. all conquered land will in time slough off its conquerors like so much dead and rotting skin

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

nankeen posted:

ohio's not sick, it's just angry. all conquered land will in time slough off its conquerors like so much dead and rotting skin
heck yes I love Modest Mouse too

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Wanna do a proper road trip through Idaho and Ohio now.

I drove through Idaho once on the way to someplace better and it felt like that. Just a desolate stretch of road with a warning sign every now and then. 'Caution: strong winds' 'Caution: snowdrifts' etc. I pulled off the highway to buy something from a service station at some campground and people stared at me like they were all locals, at a holiday park.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Outrail posted:

Wanna do a proper road trip through Idaho and Ohio now.

I drove through Idaho once on the way to someplace better and it felt like that. Just a desolate stretch of road with a warning sign every now and then. 'Caution: strong winds' 'Caution: snowdrifts' etc. I pulled off the highway to buy something from a service station at some campground and people stared at me like they were all locals, at a holiday park.

Hope this helps:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The scariest part of Idaho, for anyone dumb enough to travel there, isn't Lewiston, which is an industrial shithole, or the Nazi backwoods, or the Mormon south, or the economically-collapsed tourist towns in the mountains. It's a town called Moscow. Do not go to Moscow. Moscow seems very nice on the outside - arts! liberals! college! - but it is de-facto run by a cult (not its first!), there have been an insane number of mass shootings there (google them!), and the whole place is basically some smiling fake-town-pride Stephen King horror poo poo. Everyone is extremely tense and a surprising number of people just straight-up go missing from the area. Some serious "something lurks beneath the surface" stuff going on there.

It is not a good place and I will not be surprised if there's at least one Netflix documentary about it in 20 years. There's a reason all the serial killers come from the Northwest.

edit: I'm not trying to outdo or piggyback off the much funnier Ohio quote by the way, I just want to express my intense discomfort with Moscow, Idaho.

edit 2: I just remembered the entire Wallace area. So this ruined former mining hellhole filled with pedophiles (not a joke), and then Moscow.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

An old girlfriends psycho ex came from there the pieces are faaaaallling into place

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

FactsAreUseless posted:

The scariest part of Idaho, for anyone dumb enough to travel there, isn't Lewiston, which is an industrial shithole, or the Nazi backwoods, or the Mormon south, or the economically-collapsed tourist towns in the mountains. It's a town called Moscow. Do not go to Moscow. Moscow seems very nice on the outside - arts! liberals! college! - but it is de-facto run by a cult (not its first!), there have been an insane number of mass shootings there (google them!), and the whole place is basically some smiling fake-town-pride Stephen King horror poo poo. Everyone is extremely tense and a surprising number of people just straight-up go missing from the area. Some serious "something lurks beneath the surface" stuff going on there.

It is not a good place and I will not be surprised if there's at least one Netflix documentary about it in 20 years. There's a reason all the serial killers come from the Northwest.

edit: I'm not trying to outdo or piggyback off the much funnier Ohio quote by the way, I just want to express my intense discomfort with Moscow, Idaho.

edit 2: I just remembered the entire Wallace area. So this ruined former mining hellhole filled with pedophiles (not a joke), and then Moscow.

Never again will I need to ask "Where did those wacky Japanese get their ideas for Silent Hill ?".

Edit : Yes, I know about Centralia.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FactsAreUseless posted:

I spent a short time in St Maries and Moscow was where people went to party :v:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I just spent an hour going down an insomnia-fueled Google black hole and can safely say I will never, ever visit Moscow, Idaho.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Every time I see someone discuss Idaho I think "yep, you da ho alright".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jedit posted:

Every time I see someone discuss Idaho I think "yep, you da ho alright".

every single person in that town of 2500 people made that joke to me when I first got there

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

every single person in that town of 2500 people made that joke to me when I first got there

Did you consider the possibility that you might, in fact, be da ho?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone in here just dunkin on Idaho.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Everyone in here just dunkin on Idaho.

They should show more respect for someone who died fighting Sardaukar .

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

FactsAreUseless posted:

quote:

Moscow Police Chief David Duke

Well that's a thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They should show more respect for someone who died fighting Sardaukar .

That was not the ghola the mission.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

there's a really good fur trading post in Moscow. least creepy thing about it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pick posted:

Let the record show that the least creepy thing about Moscow, Idaho is a place to buy the preserved skins of dead animals to decorate your home and person.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Let the record show that the least creepy thing about Moscow, Idaho is a place to buy the preserved skins of dead animals to decorate your home and person.

Paging Pick. Paging Pick to the quote thread.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Outrail posted:

Paging Pick. Paging Pick to the quote thread.

Pick posted:

???????

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

heck yes I love Modest Mouse too

we haven't learned to eat our conscience yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com