Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

dammit now i have to reread the chapter

woohoo now i get to reread the chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Shaggy Laius is pretty hot in that kind of "sad tormented loner hero" way.

I feel that this chapter somehow conflicts with Falin's story of her time at school, because I was sure that in that one Marcille was depicted as being a fellow student. I want to go and reread it, but I don't know which chapter that was.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Guess you'll just have to read the whole thing over.

Poor you.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Crasical posted:

Man, Dullahan are no joke. I wonder how many monsters could earn the 'Run, don't bother trying to fight it, just run" command from Laius.

And then it hits its head on the ceiling twice.

"Don't fight, just run!... You can't eat it, we shouldn't waste energy."

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm wondering what the deal with Laius and Farlyn's parents is. They seem to not be on speaking terms with them, previous chapters implied that Laius and Farlyn have run away from home, and then there's the whole thing "You look like dad when you're like this" -> instant grooming in this chapter.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Didn't Farlyn send them letters? She seemed to be fine with them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
On page 32, Marcille is holding Izutsumi's tail when they return to Laius but there's no other sign of her. I assume she's being literally dragged back and forth along the ground.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
we never got to see what was in marcille's letter because it was a love letter

I bet her dream has to do with her fears of outliving everyone she knows, especially Farlyn.

Though the increasingly likely half-elf theory kind-of conflicts with that? I guess even as a half-elf she would still outlive them.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

HenryEx posted:

I'm gonna build a shrine to shaggy Laius

I think thats his dad tho

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So we had a Chilchack-focused chapter and now a Marcille one. We got Senshi's backstory not too long ago, so I guess we'll find out more about Izutsumi next time?

It's interesting that the Thorden siblings' motivation for exploring the dungeon would have gotten Kabru's approval, had he known about it. I hope he and Elf Captain are fine so they can meet up with the party somehow. Marcille and the Elf Captain are probably gonna have some entertaining interactions.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Here we are now
My name's Laius
Gonna eat things
That are dangerous

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

chapter 1

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lt. Lizard posted:

Other option is that she is actually ancient, and a big deal in elven society, but doesn't want to make fuss about it. Like not 20.000 years but thousand plus.

her mom (can't remember if it was the same for the dad) was a court magician. i think that might come up when she meets the other elves, we also saw glimpses of her in the dream a while back, so it might be more her mom is an important deal than marcille herself.

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

Mikl posted:

I'm wondering what the deal with Laius and Farlyn's parents is. They seem to not be on speaking terms with them, previous chapters implied that Laius and Farlyn have run away from home, and then there's the whole thing "You look like dad when you're like this" -> instant grooming in this chapter.

Their father is a like a low noble or mayor right? I think the falling out was Dad wanted him to be a proper member of society while Laius wanted to be a dungeon explorer/Monster Weirdo. I know there were like 2 flashback chapters that touched on it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if their parents were normal at all it's pretty understandable that laius wouldn't get along with them.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Noticed this on a re-read:

Marcille is hecking rude.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Tetracube posted:

Though the increasingly likely half-elf theory kind-of conflicts with that? I guess even as a half-elf she would still outlive them.
I missed this on my first read, but this page from the nightmare chapter hints pretty strongly at a human father and an elf mother.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Her whole black magic thing and getting really excited about the whole dying and coming back thing is absolutely leading to her either wanting to bring back someone specific or to cure death in general or at least make all these short lived people she keeps getting attached specifically to live forever.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Noticed on a full reread that early on Marcille calls her staff Ambrosia, which is also what Farlyn says she named hers in this chapter

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This manga is a joy...just love all the little details.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Slight inconsitency on the timelines here since Laius says it's been a year since Marcille joined up with them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/1155134101017509888
https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/1159272166304751616

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/pixlotl/status/1162840981638488064

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Senshi finds you all to be... Acceptable ingredients.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/Chackn/status/1169362669469483008
Sadly, just an ad for the next manga volume, as far as I can tell. But drat this makes me hungry for a Dungeon Meshi anime.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
This should be illegal.
You can't tease us like that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Huzzah! posted:

https://twitter.com/Chackn/status/1169362669469483008
Sadly, just an ad for the next manga volume, as far as I can tell. But drat this makes me hungry for a Dungeon Meshi anime.

I imagine it will get one once the series is complete and they can do the whole thing at once. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

:hai:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't want an anime 'til it's over. I don't need some middling studio-original ending that deflates the story.

Also, YEAH, it's about time Kabru got a cover.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean you could easily adapt everything from beginning until Farlyns resurrection and subsequent draconification, into a single, strong, relatively self-contained season that would end with a suitably dramatic twist and a sequel hook. Then you would do a new season once there is enough material for one. If it works for Attack on Titan, Houseki no Kuni(yea, I know, but shut up, there will be a second season!) or Vinland Saga, it should work for Dungeon Meshi too. :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This should be illegal.
You can't tease us like that.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

they gotta be animating this for sure

imagine: laius being an idiot... in 1080p

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I wish more series would get the OVA treatment much like Jojo's bizarre adventure did during the 90s and 00's. I think it's much better for runtimes instead of working around 18-20 minute chunks of plot being put out on a weekly basis you give someone 30+ minutes and a month or two between releases; and I think it would make it easier to organize the chapters leading up to the red dragon, while also making that an episode to itself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean you could easily adapt everything from beginning until Farlyns resurrection and subsequent draconification, into a single, strong, relatively self-contained season that would end with a suitably dramatic twist and a sequel hook. Then you would do a new season once there is enough material for one. If it works for Attack on Titan, Houseki no Kuni(yea, I know, but shut up, there will be a second season!) or Vinland Saga, it should work for Dungeon Meshi too. :shrug:

This is where I'm at, too. There's enough material for a first season, easily, without having to come up with an anime-original ending.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've been re-reading Dungeon Meshi all over again thanks to that preview and noticed something neat.

Marcille here compares extending your lifespan using your magic as if it was eating your own flesh. At first you're thinking Senshi looks uncomfortable because Marcille's being a nerd, but knowing his backstory and fear you realize Marcille hit a bit too close to home with that remark.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's really, really impressive just how consistent the characters are, even as we continually learn more and more of their backstories, fears, and motives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Not gonna lie, I am looking forward to seeing them encounter an honest to god D&D Lich someday.