Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jesus WEP posted:

there’s a tesla in office car park now. i walk close enough to trigger the thing every time

woah woah there are loads of teslas near me, am I gonna have to go gdpr subject access request them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

woah woah there are loads of teslas near me, am I gonna have to go gdpr subject access request them all?
i'd suggest moving

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

1. Find a used firetruck
2. drive it around
3. no more teslas

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Need a map/list of countries and territories with the most/fewest Teslas per person to plan my next move

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i don't know if EU countries have class action lawyers like america does, but if so this would be an amazing lawsuit. tesla's server systems are so hosed that i don't see how they could ever pass an audit to prove they deleted all the footage, even if they tried to just do a blanket nuke of all "sentry" cam footage

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

:eyepop:

quote:

They face multiple problems as baby boomer buyers age out of motorcycling and the belief that Millenials apparently have little interest in motorcycling and/or do not have the money to purchase Harley’s machines.

I guess because this isn’t business journalism they can dare suggesting the thing: everyone is broke

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
millennials are broke, so harley made an electric bike that cost as much as a down payment on a house.

for some reason, it didn't sell well

mystes
May 31, 2006

Even ignoring that issue they're screwed, though, because they have marketed themselves into a corner as expensive toys for aging boomers. I don't think even rich millennials who are into motorcycles are going to want to buy harleys.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and weirdly, the boomers still want loud pipe road hogs that won't immediately smear them on the pavement the second they touch the throttle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
at this point the people that enjoyed the era of harleys they try to nostalgia up have been dead for 20 years. 60s bikers were all shitbag criminals, and anybody age 40-60 spent years riding AMF-built Harleys, some of the most dogfuck awful machines ever shat out of an assembly line

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

we could stop making motorcycles that are both the worst and most expensive on the market

OR...

we could keep selling chrome gewgaws to senior citizens at 5000% markup and duct tape together some electric thing for the [makes face] millennials

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you see a '77 harley for sale for $200, you turn around and run

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

you see a '77 harley for sale for $200, you turn around and run

i will always love how barger went on the record in his memoirs that harleys were a mistake.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Midjack posted:

we should have been on whatever was supposed to be after oil a few decades ago. we got off track somewhere.

:capitalism:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there isnt anything after oil, it's consumerist propaganda that makes you assume there must be

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

there isnt anything after oil, it's consumerist propaganda that makes you assume there must be

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
or more precisely, the thing after oil is men feeding on men

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

after oil... there is only death

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just you wait

Exxon-Mobil, British Petrol, Royal Dutch Shell, and Saudi Aramco will announce a joint venture to mine comets for organics

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Hydrogen is it, but because there's no way to monopolize it (beyond capitalizing on their existing respective networks of service stations) the oil folks will just keep us addicted to the last drop*

*unless Abiotic Oil is real, in which case forget any meaningful investment in alternative propulsion and hello runaway greenhouse

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

eschaton posted:

just you wait

Exxon-Mobil, British Petrol, Royal Dutch Shell, and Saudi Aramco will announce a joint venture to mine comets for organics

This is about cars, not gin.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

indigi posted:

space trash could help mitigate global warming if there's enough of it so I approve this plan

lol I’ve seen the same idea on reddit. build a bunch of mirror satellites and have them chill at a Lagrange point. somehow a better idea than taxing the rich apparently

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i feel like those solutions address two different problems really

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i also feel like reducing the amount of sunlight to hit the earth by enough to materially affect global warming is one of those things that's guaranteed to have unforeseen consequences

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the mass famine as a result of decreased crop growing is in fact an entirely intended consequence

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it turns out it's way easier to reduce global warming by depopulating the global south, and destroying all the nascent rapidly growing industrial economies

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

infernal machines posted:

i also feel like reducing the amount of sunlight to hit the earth by enough to materially affect global warming is one of those things that's guaranteed to have unforeseen consequences

shifting the daylight hours would gently caress the ecosystem up BAD and probably cause mass extinctions pretty quick.

speak of extinction and Harley Davidson, HD is selling its merch as a clothing brand for young folks hoping to catch the just passed wave of 70s nostalgia or the current wave of 90s nostalgia, which contains nested 70s nostalgia.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Hydrogen is it, but because there's no way to monopolize it (beyond capitalizing on their existing respective networks of service stations) the oil folks will just keep us addicted to the last drop*

*unless Abiotic Oil is real, in which case forget any meaningful investment in alternative propulsion and hello runaway greenhouse

@AynRand{Ve vill build expressvays to the moon!}

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

well why not posted:

lol I’ve seen the same idea on reddit. build a bunch of mirror satellites and have them chill at a Lagrange point. somehow a better idea than taxing the rich apparently

the rich think it’s a better idea because they’d get a bunch of mirror satellites that they can repurpose into a giant mirror any time a national government gets uppity

project Archimedes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

cutting the amount of energy entering the earth’s thermodynamic system would gently caress poo poo up like you wouldn’t believe.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i wrote unforeseen, but i meant unintended, and even that's like barely the case

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer
this is just the first step in deterraforming earth so that we’ll be better prepared for living on mars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you know, if we just had some weird-rear end meteor land near the tiber river, i think we could solve both these problems at once

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

well why not posted:

shifting the daylight hours would gently caress the ecosystem up BAD and probably cause mass extinctions pretty quick.

i get your drift but lol man we already been doing both them shits in a major way for centuries

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
end stage capitalism is destroying birth rates but not fast enough to correct for global warming

it’s comforting that the worst horrors of unmitigated climate change will probably be borne by fewer humans than are alive now

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
but even they, too, will love the car

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

our grandchildren, as they sift the toxic soil for nutrients: sure it sucks but everyone knows men loved a nice big v8

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Gazpacho posted:

or more precisely, the thing after oil is men feeding on men

humanity got lighting from whales and penguins and seals

don’t think there’s no reason people won’t light the night after capitalism harvests golden corral country

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabor posted:

the mass famine as a result of decreased crop growing is in fact an entirely intended consequence

That’s the super obvious one.

Cold‐blooded animals would be hosed. The air around them might be the same temperature it was in pre‐industrial times, but sunning themselves will no longer be as effective.

Birds aren’t going to like what it does to thermals.

Speaking of air currents, they would shift on continental scales. Blocking sunlight would lead to its own version of climate change.

Nightime temperatures would continue to be elevated by the extra‐thick blanket of greenhouse gases; blocking sunlight would do nothing to stop that. Ocean acidification will happen either way.

Then there are the photochemical effects, other than on photosynthesis. The rate of breakdown for organic molecules will drop, within the atmosphere, on exposed surfaces, and in the ocean.

They say “sunlight makes the best disinfectant”. So much for that.

If we had to install an L1 sunshade, it might be preferable to preferentially block long wavelengths to lessen the photochemical effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Platystemon posted:

That’s the super obvious one.

Cold‐blooded animals would be hosed. The air around them might be the same temperature it was in pre‐industrial times, but sunning themselves will no longer be as effective.

Birds aren’t going to like what it does to thermals.

Speaking of air currents, they would shift on continental scales. Blocking sunlight would lead to its own version of climate change.

Nightime temperatures would continue to be elevated by the extra‐thick blanket of greenhouse gases; blocking sunlight would do nothing to stop that. Ocean acidification will happen either way.

Then there are the photochemical effects, other than on photosynthesis. The rate of breakdown for organic molecules will drop, within the atmosphere, on exposed surfaces, and in the ocean.

They say “sunlight makes the best disinfectant”. So much for that.

If we had to install an L1 sunshade, it might be preferable to preferentially block long wavelengths to lessen the photochemical effects.