Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Today, Serra was out with me for about an hour as my legs uncramped.

I yawned and closed my eyes. But something made me open my eyes before closing my mouth.

Serra had shoved her head in my mouth to take a look around.

How do they survive in the wild?!!?

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 24, 2019

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I yawned and closed my eyes. But something made me open my eyes before closing my mouth.

She's thinking, whoa your beak is on the inside, that is crazy.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Captain Log posted:

Numbers

This is not the first time I've heard of a cockatiel investigating the inside of a mouth

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tsaedje posted:

Numbers

This is not the first time I've heard of a cockatiel investigating the inside of a mouth

Yeah.

The answer to how cockatiels survive in the wild is they don't, except through brute force of outbreeding death

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
The thing that cracked me up was how she managed to stick her head in my mouth without brushing against a tooth or anything.

Yet she is literally terrified when I try to get her to eat some fruit.

:derptiel:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah.

The answer to how cockatiels survive in the wild is they don't, except through brute force of outbreeding death

This may also relate to how many eggs she likes to lay.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I had budgies as a little girl, and I had a few that LIVED to do this to me. Anytime it looked like my mouth would be open...BOOM there they were sticking their head in my mouth and trying to beak my teeth /shrug

Strange creatures they were.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Saying something because this has my head about to explode -

My local shop has a lot of babies that require hand feeding that also go home with the owner every night for care. They don't get sold until they are fully weaned and socialized. This store also keeps a bunch of disabled parrots that live in the store, not for sale.

Today, someone came in, waited for the employee to get busy ringing someone up, ran into the back, stuffed a loving baby galah into his backpack, and bolted out of the store. I've met this galah and he or she is a little sweetheart.

Luckily, he was apparently on foot and the police are checking all the local homeless camps. They are reasonably optimistic that the bird will be found. But the poor thing isn't even weaned and will not survive without proper care.

Good God, this has me so pissed off. I loving hate most people.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I'm not a big fan of the police, but for this bird's sake I hope they find the thief and get the bird back to safety. Poor birdy.

I hope this was a move of desperation and they simply didn't know the bird was a baby and thus unable to fend for itself.

Edit: Cuddle that birb. If you happen to pick up a shotgun, then you could use it to hunt, too! I mean, you could use a spear for that but god that'd be difficult.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 25, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Chaosfeather posted:

I'm not a big fan of the police, but for this bird's sake I hope they find the thief and get the bird back to safety. Poor birdy.

I hope this was a move of desperation and they simply didn't know the bird was a baby and thus unable to fend for itself.

Sadly, my part of town (SE Portland/Gresham) isn’t unsafe, but it’s extremely run down and has a homeless problem. They have video cameras and think the guy looked homeless. Either that or extremely badly groomed.

I swear to God I’d be security for their place for free, just sit at the front with a spear and a shotgun. Hearing about this has be unreasonably pissed off. I’m going to go hug Serra.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Saying something because this has my head about to explode -

My local shop has a lot of babies that require hand feeding that also go home with the owner every night for care. They don't get sold until they are fully weaned and socialized. This store also keeps a bunch of disabled parrots that live in the store, not for sale.

Today, someone came in, waited for the employee to get busy ringing someone up, ran into the back, stuffed a loving baby galah into his backpack, and bolted out of the store. I've met this galah and he or she is a little sweetheart.

Luckily, he was apparently on foot and the police are checking all the local homeless camps. They are reasonably optimistic that the bird will be found. But the poor thing isn't even weaned and will not survive without proper care.

this breaks my heart...poor baby must be so scared and hungry :(

I would go kiss and cuddle my two monsters but they are birdie snoring atm and its the first time its been quiet today...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Disco Salmon posted:

this breaks my heart...poor baby must be so scared and hungry :(

I would go kiss and cuddle my two monsters but they are birdie snoring atm and its the first time its been quiet today...

I'm hopeful it will turn up. It probably cannot fly and if it did get taken by a homeless person, they will find it. Police sound like they're actually taking it seriously and checking the camps. I'm guessing a $1500 parrot is probably Grand Theft?

I literally cannot think about that poor bird for more than a minute without getting upset. It was such a little sweetie.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Feeling for you over here Log, what a terrible story. I hope they find that lil baby Galah!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Hug in a Can posted:

I have a freckle in the palm of my hand- one of the budgies always tries to pick it up. He doesn’t understand. It must be a seed, and yet...

tattoos used to confuse taco a lot

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

mikerock posted:

Feeling for you over here Log, what a terrible story. I hope they find that lil baby Galah!

The good part of all of this - Serra has been scritched and thoroughly bothered.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
here is another reason birds are good:

https://power2save.org/2019/10/21/power-players-amanda-and-nicole/

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GoldStandardConure posted:

tattoos used to confuse taco a lot

Ama is not fussed by tattoos or, in general, any skin markings, but Charlie will sit on my shoulder and tenderly tongue the tattoo there all day if I let him

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
SEND HELP! BIRB HAS MY PHONE!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Double Post -

The stolen baby bird is getting multiple segments on local. Any Portland or Portland adjacent bird goons, keep a look out. This bird was already bought by one of the employees, but still had to be weaned. Her name is Charlie.

https://www.koin.com/video/baby-cockatoo-stolen-from-bird-hut/4047516/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
At some point in the almost 30 years he's been around, our grey learned how to do a few pretty awesome burps. He learned one that's a really good deep beer belch followed by the exhale.

I just did a decent burp and the grey followed up with the exhale for me.

Thanks dude.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That's real partnership, right there.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookie does big lip-smacking, open-mouth chewing sounds when she's either happy with what she's eating or suggesting that you give her some of what YOU are eating.

It's a little disturbing.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Pookah posted:

Pookie does big lip-smacking, open-mouth chewing sounds when she's either happy with what she's eating or suggesting that you give her some of what YOU are eating.

ew

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Serra just had her first night fright in probably a year and lost four feathers. Two of them had blood in them, so I freaked out for a few minutes. This isn't the first time she has lost a blood feather, but it's still jarring. I kept her up on my shoulder for a hour past her bedtime until I was certain she wasn't actively bleeding. None of the blood feathers were broken, thank goodness.

Ugh, bird, don't scare me like that.

Edit: Yep, when she shimmed off while on my shoulders to straighten her feathers, she got some blood on my undershirt. Just a drop or two from a bird that sized is terrifying, but she just spent the last hour on my shoulder preening and fussing at me. I think she is just wondering why she got to have a late bedtime. :derptiel:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Serra just had her first night fright in probably a year and lost four feathers. Two of them had blood in them, so I freaked out for a few minutes. This isn't the first time she has lost a blood feather, but it's still jarring. I kept her up on my shoulder for a hour past her bedtime until I was certain she wasn't actively bleeding. None of the blood feathers were broken, thank goodness.

Ugh, bird, don't scare me like that.

Edit: Yep, when she shimmed off while on my shoulders to straighten her feathers, she got some blood on my undershirt. Just a drop or two from a bird that sized is terrifying, but she just spent the last hour on my shoulder preening and fussing at me. I think she is just wondering why she got to have a late bedtime. :derptiel:

Does she need a night light? That helped my parakeets when I was little, one of them was very prone to night frights in his old age. I hope she doesn't do this to you too often and I'm glad she's alright.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Neither of my birds is especially prone to night frights but Sera's had a couple. I usually end up leaving a light in the kitchen on for the night. It helps a ton.

Also losing blood feathers is terrifying. Sera once gave a shake and let loose a blood clot that covered me and the wall in little red droplets. I was terrified. He was, I think, just a bit relieved to be done with that feather, which I think had been bothering him for a week or so.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Chaosfeather posted:

Does she need a night light? That helped my parakeets when I was little, one of them was very prone to night frights in his old age. I hope she doesn't do this to you too often and I'm glad she's alright.

In my experience, cockatiels have them every now and then. That’s good advice but I’m not too worried about it just yet.

RoboRodent posted:

Neither of my birds is especially prone to night frights but Sera's had a couple. I usually end up leaving a light in the kitchen on for the night. It helps a ton.

Also losing blood feathers is terrifying. Sera once gave a shake and let loose a blood clot that covered me and the wall in little red droplets. I was terrified. He was, I think, just a bit relieved to be done with that feather, which I think had been bothering him for a week or so.

That was me, last night. She shook blood everywhere.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

How did I end up with a bird that demands an early bedtime, and then spends the next hour and a half playing and singing and pretending to have a nest in the bottom of the cage? Why, Ozzy? Why is this necessary?

I don't really mind, but it's weird. Maybe he just doesn't want an audience when he's being silly. Also still unsure if he has egg laying equipment or just wishes he did. I love my trans son.

Not okay with the nightly screaming to go to bed. This is a recent thing, and we're working on that. I have earplugs, because Ozzy has one volume and it is eleven. We seem to be making progress. Tonight was a bad tantrum, but earlier he was feeling brave enough to walk on the floor.

Sometimes I feel frustrated because almost two years later he still refuses to be touched by anyone, and a day where he marches around on the floor is still notable, and it feels like we're not making progress, but then I have to remind myself that we can only go at his pace, and also when I got him I don't think he knew what flying was, much less that it was something he could do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RoboRodent posted:

I have earplugs, because Ozzy has one volume and it is eleven.

I feel like this should be a thread title. Bird Crazies: My Bird has one volume, and it is eleven.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pookah posted:

Sinbad does the same thing. You're eating and making lip smacks, so if he's making lip smacks, maybe he'll get to be eating too. It's sound borblogic.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pookah posted:

LOL I am so glad to hear that tbh... Cricket does the same thing, but its more of a yum yum yum noise, and when you are eating something she either wants or likes, she does the whole "Is it yummy? Is it good? it is REALLY GOOD? Did you eat your dinner?" routine. All in the most pathetic voice she can muster. And, if you look at her, she will do the baby bird begging motion then look at me and go "Yeah?"

Trev does the same thing(we think he picked it up from her) but he has the most adorable happy yum noises when he gets something he really likes, it makes me laugh every time. It's like watching a cartoon. He is beak in the bowl, tail in the air, and all you hear are happy trills and " Mmmmmm MMMMMMMMmmmmmm's " and "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo"'s going on. then he will throw an occasion "It's yummy Its good Its yummy good job good bird its yummy" with his little GCC accent. It is hilarious!

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
I'm worried about my idiot feather goblin. I've been noticing he's looking a bit scruffy lately. I figured it's about the right time for a molt, he's getting lots of pins, nbd. I had him in the shower last night and was checking him over and he does have a lot of pins, but he also has a large (imo) bald spot (no feathers, no down) right at the end of his sternum below his ribs. It's about the size of a pea.

I've noticed he's been preening that area a lot lately. I'm always on the lookout for bloody feathers in case he's plucking but I haven't found anything like that. The skin looks good - healthy and pink, no bleeding or mutilation, just naked.

I'm obviously making a vet appointment asap, but is there anything in his bird life that I could check out or change up? My biggest worry right now is that it may be a fungal or bacterial issue from bathing in his dirty soup-water. :ohdear:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Spare-Ohs posted:

I'm worried about my idiot feather goblin. I've been noticing he's looking a bit scruffy lately. I figured it's about the right time for a molt, he's getting lots of pins, nbd. I had him in the shower last night and was checking him over and he does have a lot of pins, but he also has a large (imo) bald spot (no feathers, no down) right at the end of his sternum below his ribs. It's about the size of a pea.

I've noticed he's been preening that area a lot lately. I'm always on the lookout for bloody feathers in case he's plucking but I haven't found anything like that. The skin looks good - healthy and pink, no bleeding or mutilation, just naked.

I'm obviously making a vet appointment asap, but is there anything in his bird life that I could check out or change up? My biggest worry right now is that it may be a fungal or bacterial issue from bathing in his dirty soup-water. :ohdear:

Okay, without pictures it's hard to tell, and I don't want to condescendingly lecture you about things you already know, but are you aware that birds are just one big comb-over?

Most birds (penguins are an exception) don't have feathers over their entire body, but grow feathers in stripes, and then basically just hold the feathers over the bald areas. There's a big patch on the belly where feathers don't grow, and during brooding, that patch gets larger and engorged with blood and very hot and the bird just gently lays that hot skin on the eggs.

If your bird is molting heavily, he might just be temporarily unable to cover it, or is just too lazy to hold his feathers over it. Sera had a bald throat when he was relaxed for about a year until he figured out how to hold his feathers like a grown up bird. If the skin looks good, that might be what you're looking at.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011

RoboRodent posted:

Okay, without pictures it's hard to tell, and I don't want to condescendingly lecture you about things you already know, but are you aware that birds are just one big comb-over?

Most birds (penguins are an exception) don't have feathers over their entire body, but grow feathers in stripes, and then basically just hold the feathers over the bald areas. There's a big patch on the belly where feathers don't grow, and during brooding, that patch gets larger and engorged with blood and very hot and the bird just gently lays that hot skin on the egg s.

If your bird is molting heavily, he might just be temporarily unable to cover it, or is just too lazy to hold his feathers over it. Sera had a bald throat when he was relaxed for about a year until he figured out how to hold his feathers like a grown up bird. If the skin looks good, that might be what you're looking at.

Time to get A BIRD MERKIN.

I actually had no idea about this so I really appreciate the response. It does my anxiety some good to think it may just be a natural bald spot I've noticed because of his molt.

He has a vet visit scheduled for Thursday morning. He'll be thrilled.

I'll try to get a picture of it later today. In the meantime, I have a Very Professional and Accurate Depiction on a post-it note.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I mean, first, that's an adorable diagram, I love it. Second, yeah that looks like the right place to be part of the belly patch, sticking out.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not 100% sure but that does look like the tummy spot to me based on the picture. On Crouton and Galbedir it is noticeable when they are stressed and being manhandled by the vet on their back while getting examined or stabbed with needles. I think it may also be what causes the plump bird cameltoe? I am not a bird cameltoe expert however.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

I mean, first, that's an adorable diagram, I love it. Second, yeah that looks like the right place to be part of the belly patch, sticking out.

More or less verbatim what I was going to say.

Also I love Cricket and Trevor ugghhh. Trevor is my good Internet bird son

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I think it may also be what causes the plump bird cameltoe? I am not a bird cameltoe expert however.

the bird cameltoe expert has logged in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
Omg. I'm both relieved and embarrassed. I spoke with the secretary and she had a good laugh at me. I'm going to be sending them a photo tonight and see what the doc thinks just in case.

Thanks for educating me, bird friends! Here are Kepler pics as payment.