Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Drink?
This poll is closed.
Water 32 26.67%
Tea 21 17.50%
Soda 28 23.33%
Alcoholic 22 18.33%
I dunno 17 14.17%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mill Village posted:

How’s mturk going for you? I signed up a few months ago but I haven’t done any work yet. I’m hoping I could make enough money to work from home once I stop procrastinating.

It's been a few years, but I used to do mturk.

Unless things have changed, a decent wage is possible. But you have really got to hustle. You live and die by your qualifications (what let you take certain jobs), and by being around when the good, reliable companies drop work.

There are forums out there focused on Mturk, with scripts, advice, and usually daily threads of hot jobs. Don't rely on the Reddit, it's too slow. Without the scripts, and just trying to find the good jobs yourself, you'll probably find them. But only after the pack, using auto-accepters and the like, have already descended.

Also, another unless it's changed, don't rely on eventually getting the status that lets you not have random Captchas and take exclusive jobs. It rarely gets handed out, and seemingly to not very many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

new after the rain chapter!!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

iospace posted:

That day is today!
i'd have to start over first!

Infinitum posted:

Galos x Lio strikes me as more of a Bromance than whatever Romance I keep finding them shipped as. Def some queer implications thou, so I'd love to see what the Director has to say about it as some point
i haven't seen promare yet but the official Promare art book has a page of Lio tied up in bondage gear so you can probably guess what the staff thinks

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 10, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
they are just kissing and hugging their half naked bodies to each other like friends do

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He was literally performing CPR on Lio, which apparently set off half the females in the screening I was in.

Like I'm not having a crack as it's 2019 and You Do You Who Gives A poo poo, but it wasn't as overtly homoerotic as people make it out to be, as they were pre-established plot reasons for him doing it, and they probably should have leaned into it a bit harder.

2 shirtless dudes in a mech is pretty hard to argue with though :v:

Pretty sure it failed the Bechdel Test as well.

Expect My Mom posted:

i haven't seen promare yet but the official Promare art book has a page of Lio tied up in bondage gear so you can probably guess what the staff thinks

Lio knows what he's about :wink:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If y'all get the opportunity to see Promare on the big screen you def should though.

Especially if you're a fan of Triggers mech designs.

Using fire to construct objects is really cool to watch as well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not very easy to have a discussion when all you're saying is "many people read this scene this way, but i read it another way, which means that read is objectively correct" about a scene that was probably written to have room for a few different reads. you could say the same thing about the end stuff in re:cutie honey and i wouldn't be backed up by the law itself to tell you you're wrong since that's given equal levels of plot justification that you could i guess take completely straight but it would suck if you kept pushing it as the "correct" read on the scene

also

Infinitum posted:

He was literally performing CPR on Lio, which apparently set off half the females in the screening I was in.

is a weird sentence

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 10, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

new after the rain chapter!!

it was good!

re: Promare, it makes me wonder, if one of the characters was a woman if you'd be working as hard to justify the no-romance perspective on their interactions.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

Infinitum posted:

...Promare stuff...

I have some disagreements with regards to your subjective opinions on the gay.

Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't have leaned in harder, they could have! But I do think that they chose the right amount of romantic tension considering the genre they were working with, as well as time. They also did basically the same thing with Kill la Kill. Like, think of it this way: What if the movie was exactly the same, but Lio was actually a woman and not just reeeeally effeminate looking? Would you still consider that not romantic in nature, or to put it another way; perhaps societal expectations on romantic inclinations (in fiction) are much lower than those of implied non-hetero relationships. Now, maybe you don't see that potential even if Lio was a woman, and that's fine! It still wouldn't be the most overt romance depicted on film. Like, not even close. I just don't think that the movie needs to prove itself with gay.

In addition with that, their were other elements, if minor, that paint the movie's motive as intentional, if not overt. To start, and admittedly not something I knew prior, is that one of the most prominent symbols of the movie is a pink triangle. The nature of discrimination is paramount to the themes of the movie. Hell, they try to cram every form of discrimination visually possible to depict for two hours straight. But the use of the pink triangle, a symbol associated with the LGBT community, as a primary symbol for the burnish feels particularly notable considering its history.

Another point to consider is the nature surrounding the CPR and the Lio De Galon and the goddamn heart shaped cloud puff when they emerge that's like stupidly unsubtle, but goddamn Trigger as all hell. One is that Galo's CPR is reeaallly stretching the definitions of CPR procedures as is, but also happens to be seriously homo-erotic in nature. Seriously, look at it. Look at it. What kind of trained firefighter lifts up the victim and touches his finger to their neck like that? And that there isn't even a 'ew, no homo!' comedy moment before or after. The mech, well, I can't say how intentional it is, and I really don't care for shipping... things. But I will say it alone doesn't say much, but, Trigger being Trigger- it's hard to not think they wouldn't be aware of their fans' reaction. Also that heart shaped cloud yo, didn't even see it the first time.

Finally, a scene I think everyone misses. The ice lake introduction with Aina. In tandem with the above this scene makes much more sense in my eyes. See, on a first time viewing this scene is a bit gag wherein we see Galo is simply way too job focused, and an idiot, to see that Aina is really interested in him romantically. I think the intentional reading, subsequently, is that it's a hint to that Galo is, at the very least, not straight. I don't think that's a stretch, considering everything else. Now, maybe, just maybe, Galo's asexual or something?

Not a thing if you understand the ending lyrics, which Gkids doesn't typically translate in my experience so that sucks. It's straight up a love song between Lio and Galo.

Translated lyrics

And while a bit more subjective, the lyrics overall are pretty gay/romantic for all the songs if you read into em a bit

https://twitter.com/_iepi_trash/status/1181987573264072704?s=09

On a last note, Trigger has stated they 'would like to do more' along the lines of 'that scene', which is positive if nothing else. I'm paraphrasing, though, I don't feel like tracking down the quote.

I hate to be a 'gay crusader' for this movie but I hate this movie getting misrepresented just because Lio and Galo don't spend the last ten minutes staring at the audience and shouting in unison "WE ARE IN GAY LOVE AND ARE NOW GAY MARRIED WITH GAY LOVE. HAPPY ARE WE." with souless eyes, as is the common stereotype. I like that the movie subdued, in this regard. Helps it to feel normal, while still being bold in its own right. Also, m/m relations are severely underrepped in general, so that's a nice change.

It is probably only the CPR scene that people are latching onto for confirmation, I feel.

Infinitum posted:

Pretty sure it failed the Bechdel Test as well.

Thhhhhatt'sss *points finger*... probably true and Trigger could probably do better in that regard. One failing of a two hour movie of bros broing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

blechdel test

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dogsicle posted:

blechdel test

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The ED for LoGH:DNT is stuck firmly in my head.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The bechdel test is not an objective truth and things that fail it are not automatically sexist. That was never the intent of it. The intent was to jokingly show that, in the grand scheme of things, there aren't a lot of movies that just have women talking. The intent was never to apply it to every single individual thing and deem it a success or failure based on just that. It's especially worthless in the context of anime, where unlike western film you actually do get a lot of stuff with female leads or majority female casts.

It's not a failing of promare at all, nor is it even worth pointing out.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 10, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

The bechdel test is not an objective truth and things that fail it are not automatically sexist. That was never the intent of it. The intent was to jokingly show that, in the grand scheme of things, there aren't a lot of movies that just have women talking. The intent was never to apply it to every single individual thing and deem it a success or failure based on just that. It's especially worthless in the context of anime, where unlike western film you actually do get a lot of stuff with female leads or majority female casts.

It's not a failing of promare at all, nor is it even worth pointing out.

Things that "pass" it also aren't necessarily not sexist, either. The wiki page points out that if you apply it to songs, Baby Got Back passes right in the opening line. When things like the Academy Award nominees are put to it, frequently half or more end up 'passing'.

Really, there's no one magical test that can tell you if a work is sexist or not when it's about conversations, and the topics of them. The sexy lamp test (Can your female character(s) be replaced with a particularly sexy lamp, with little to no change to the story?) works better, because that's about agency and the such.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I posit that the sexy lamp test is also a bad test because all it makes me think of is what constitutes a sexy lamp.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive got a controversial idea for a test: you look at a work, you put it in context of what its trying to do and in what ways for what reasons, and then you decide for yourself whether or not you think its sexist

scarily, this may end up with people having different opinions on what is or isnt sexist.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 10, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's nuts

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

youre a bb now

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

ive got a controversial idea for a test: you look at a work, you put it in context of what its trying to do and in what ways for what reasons, and then you decide for yourself whether or not you think its sexist

scarily, this may end up with people having different opinions on what is or isnt sexist.

Pretty much. Tests can be useful to discuss the presence of women in media, and how female characters are used and portrayed, but there's no perfect one out there. I would also say that you need to put something in the context of its time, along with what it was trying to do and why. Something can be viewed as sexist/racist/homophobic in the light of how things are now, but have been super progressive for the time it was released. That doesn't make discussing how certain views were wrong not good, but dunking on something because it doesn't hold up perfectly to the modern view of things is also not good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BB Got Back

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

BB Got Back
didn't know you were into that kind of thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

youre a bb now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lova-yf-lI

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
agreed with what people are saying here, tests/concepts about sexism or racism or whatever in media all are design to talk about the culture and not the specifics of the media itself.
like, if you take something like that is design to talk about culture broadly and then make it some sort of pass/fail system for media, all that does is actually lead to a more homogenized culture and is not a mindset that actively cares about getting diverse perspectives into media.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sharkopath posted:

I posit that the sexy lamp test is also a bad test because all it makes me think of is what constitutes a sexy lamp.

It's a major award!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

agreed with what people are saying here, tests/concepts about sexism or racism or whatever in media all are design to talk about the culture and not the specifics of the media itself.
like, if you take something like that is design to talk about culture broadly and then make it some sort of pass/fail system for media, all that does is actually lead to a more homogenized culture and is not a mindset that actively cares about getting diverse perspectives into media.

its mostly just a method for people who don't know anything about sexism/racism/whatever to make themselves feel better for the cartoons they like. yes baby! woo! this episode of my hero academia passes the bechdel test! now nobody can make fun of me for tweeting about it constantly!

its dumb

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really like this song.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

its mostly just a method for people who don't know anything about sexism/racism/whatever to make themselves feel better for the cartoons they like. yes baby! woo! this episode of my hero academia passes the bechdel test! now nobody can make fun of me for tweeting about it constantly!

its dumb

Ultimately who it serves the most in the long run is media conglomerates. It gives them a checklist for anything cookie cutter they make to be deem "progressive." You end up with a world where the most moral good media properties are those made by committee that follow these rules while stuff made by minorities is now deemed lacking in moral fiber because they wanted to just tell their own story.

cough cough
of course this is already happening
cough cough

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I really like this song.

the fate/extra ccc ost is really good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shinji hosoe is a good composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8YndgtLyXA

he also did music for the zero escape trilogy

e; actually i dunno if hosoe did work on ccc i keep getting mixed results that only definitively say he did extra

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Carole and Tuesday is really good, but I kinda hope the director goes back to Jazz for his music for his next anime. There's been a ton of good Japanese Jazz lately and it'd be nice to have him revisit that soundscape.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think Hosoe worked on CCC, some sites just credit him for it because some songs are reused from F/E. The composers who seem to have actually worked on CCC are James Harris and KATE, going by the credits on the OST.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I liked a bunch of Hosoe's songs for XS2 but I think like nobody else ever did

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Who's the director that hates tobacco and smokers?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Who's the director that hates tobacco and smokers?

All of them, I hope.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The first few seconds sounded like a track straight out of Sonic Adventure. Still cool tho.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/kadian1366/status/1193619838607998977

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey