Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'll most likely never be able to keep poultry myself but this is one of my favorite threads to lurk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Chard posted:

I'll most likely never be able to keep poultry myself but this is one of my favorite threads to lurk.

That's where I am. I'm a "wannabe but never gonna be" where ducklings are concerned.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
An ornithologist friend of mine, close to retirement, is working himself up to maybe keeping quails at some point in the near future. I depend on constant quail updates to be a good friend to him.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Chard posted:

:same: I love your quailposting fauna, and am anxiously for the day we get a place of our own and I can finally get birbs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/DogSolutions/status/1197596536215080960

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I am a quail owner who lives pretty close to New England and my babies lived outside through the polar vortex without issues. I did frequently change their water and I did set up a localized space heater at one point but that was maybe panicky over-concern because they did not hang out anywhere near it.

They were sheltered on a porch, but it wasn't an enclosed porch.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

StrixNebulosa posted:

How specifically are quail as pets compared to chickens? Are they as messy/loud?
they're really quiet, but messy - they love to dust-bathe and scratch around, and you would be amazed how much poo poo they can produce for such tiny creatures. but they're just so much smaller than chickens that they can't physically create as much chaos, so as long as you figure out a system for dealing with their waste, they do well in enclosed spaces. socially speaking they're more skittish and panicky than chickens, but if you're patient with them they will become quite tame and do the thing where they follow you around and scold you constantly in their mysterious language

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

gravitas!

frida's baby is a bit of a slow starter, but i now have four golden idiots. one of hot chip's children just tried to escape the brooder box using the crouch-and-spring technique (with perfect form!) that its mother uses to harass and terrorise me every single day of my drat life, so i can already tell that one is going to be a problem

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

those lashes are something fierce

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
So small!! :syoon:

hope and vaseline posted:

those lashes are something fierce

Birdy eyelashes are my favourite. Chickens and other poultry have some of the best.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

So small!! :syoon:

Birdy eyelashes are my favourite. Chickens and other poultry have some of the best.

I haven't really noticed duckling eyelashes. But it's adorable watching them sleep or try to fight sleep. Those eyes will close and those (relatively) large heads will droop over and then BAM they'll start back awake and repeat the process.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Hi, I work at a farm and ranch store, and we sell baby poultry in spring. This spring we'll be getting Guinea fowl chicks! We haven't had them before. Are there any tips or good knowledge to give to potential new owners? Like uh, things that aren't typical for turkeys or chickens. I like to give lots of information to people so they know what they're getting into.

I know they're pretty wild, and amazing for bug control. We are up in Montana, are there precautions for winter, I know sometimes it's hard to get them in a co-op.for warmth if you don't get them used to it as babies.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

They're loud as poo poo.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ghostnuke posted:

They're loud as poo poo.

And it's the worst noise in the world. Great birds if you want your neighbors to hate you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmw9_N1yloA

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

And it's the worst noise in the world. Great birds if you want your neighbors to hate you!

"DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FOOD OR WANT SEXY TIME!!!"

"HEY!!! I CAN HEAR YOU!!! DO YOU HAVE FOOD?!?!"

"WHAT?! WHAT!?"

"WHERE AM I?!"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Sounds like what would happen if you tried to use a flamingo as a bow for a violin.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Good God. It sounds like a rusty robot trying to gently caress itself to death.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Culex posted:

Hi, I work at a farm and ranch store, and we sell baby poultry in spring. This spring we'll be getting Guinea fowl chicks! We haven't had them before. Are there any tips or good knowledge to give to potential new owners? Like uh, things that aren't typical for turkeys or chickens. I like to give lots of information to people so they know what they're getting into.

I know they're pretty wild, and amazing for bug control. We are up in Montana, are there precautions for winter, I know sometimes it's hard to get them in a co-op.for warmth if you don't get them used to it as babies.
:supaburn: KEETS KEETS KEETS :supaburn:

i used to keep guineas when i was on land and it was basically the greatest experience of my life, but there is absolutely a few caveats lmao. like the others said, first off, the noise - the rusty squeaking thing is a conversational sound and when they're startled the whole flock hollers in perfect chorus and it is deafening. some people like the noise, i like the noise, but some neighbours may not. that said, the noise is conditional on the size of the guinea flock. not that they don't make the same sounds when there's only a few of them, but three or four of them going off at once may be workable every now and then in a residential area - twenty is not!

the keets are quite delicate and sensitive to cold, so until they're growing their adult feathers, buyers will need to make sure they've got a brooder set up. but once they grow up they're super sturdy in all conditions (though obviously they still need shelter for snow) and they don't seem as susceptible to disease and parasites as chooks. but the young ones are fragile and must be treated like the dainty fluffballs that they are.

they're quite wild, i don't think it's possible to have a tame snuggly guinea like you get with chickens. other people have had problems with co-raising the two species together, but i never had an issue. i think the secret is making sure they're not overcrowded and have space to get away from each other. the two flocks hung out separately during the day but all slept together at night. you have to take care when introducing them to a coop, locking them inside for a few days is generally recommended, because they'd rather be up in a tree. they'll also wander if not securely fenced, although they have a good homing instinct so they'll usually come back.

they're excellent for bug control, they'll kill snakes, and they're a great warning system for other predators near the coop. they don't eat as many greens as hens, so aren't quite as dangerous to plants, but they love to dust-bathe and will gently caress up garden beds in their own good time lol

i think that's all i have to say for now, i'll add more as i think of it. you're going to love working with the keets, they are so cute, and loading the customers with as much information as you can is the best idea to make sure they all go to happy, safe, well-prepared homes :h:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

!!

photographing quail chicks is always funny because they're so small and move so quickly that the camera can only focus on one at a time

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Already have nailed that judging sceptical look

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Living vicariously through youtube videos of birds and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhHQMAT8N3s

> owner moves mom + chicks into an empty chicken coop

"the chicks seem to like it. they're running around looking for bugs. the mother, is, kind of upset because this signals chance. and guinea fowl, if there's anything in the world that they hate, it's change."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

My ears are bleeding. Also,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Id like to see how guinea and quail intelligences match up, my guineas when i had them were very stupid birds that freaked out at every little thing

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

hope and vaseline posted:

Id like to see how guinea and quail intelligences match up, my guineas when i had them were very stupid birds that freaked out at every little thing
a lot of what we think is stupidity is actually just various adaptations to being on the bottom of the food chain. guineas have better emergency survival skills (they're fantastic group hunters, for one thing) but a really strong, ridiculous startle reflex that takes over all their executive functions in a crisis and turns them into screaming idiots, because on the savannah the only strategy they really need when attacked is to scatter in all directions while making lots of noise to distract the predators from the keets, who go straight for cover. quail also have the startle reflex but they're slightly more reasonable about it, they're also much more tameable than guineas but i don't know whether that's intelligence or something else. that's not to say they're smart animals, because they are absolutely not lol. they're so fascinating :allears:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

one weird thing i've noticed about incubator babies is that the chicks recognise the adults of their own species, but the adults don't recognise them. the quail chicks are fascinated by the adult quail and want to follow them around, but the adults still just think they're bugs and try to peck them; the very young keets i'd take on yard excursions also used to gravitate toward the adult guinea fowl, never the chickens, but the adults weren't interested and would get agitated when the keets tried to snuggle.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I also loves birds

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

fauna posted:

a lot of what we think is stupidity is actually just various adaptations to being on the bottom of the food chain.

... oh wait, this is *not* the uspol thread. carry on

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/gato_iberico/status/1198275847335153666

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I also loves birds

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I also loves birds

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I love all of natures creatures, except Norway rats and grey squirrels.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Thanks for the great keet info folks! I'm excited as heck to care for the babies.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Culex posted:

Thanks for the great keet info folks! I'm excited as heck to care for the babies.
you should be! they are hilarious little clowns. if you're dealing with grizzled old farm types, hopefully some of them will get excited too. guineas are an acquired taste but they definitely have their fans!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

outdoor lessons. today the chicks learnt to hunt! (wood mites)

they're getting harder to transport around now that i can't fit them all in one hand, which is a shame because it was easy to carry them everywhere when i picked them up and they just did this:

bonus them

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Ah gently caress me, we lost another one. Something took our small cemani. The rest are fine, just spooked. Found a possum scavenging at it but it definitely wasn't the culprit. Probably a raccoon. We set more traps but that's about all we can do at this point.

I'm tired of losing birds :smith:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Ah gently caress me, we lost another one. Something took our small cemani. The rest are fine, just spooked. Found a possum scavenging at it but it definitely wasn't the culprit. Probably a raccoon. We set more traps but that's about all we can do at this point.

I'm tired of losing birds :smith:
:( that sucks, i'm sorry. loving raccoons sound like a nightmare to deal with. they have hands! it's unholy. rip goth chooklet :h:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fauna posted:

:( that sucks, i'm sorry. loving raccoons sound like a nightmare to deal with. they have hands! it's unholy. rip goth chooklet :h:

I'm sorry, too. I'm not a bird owner either and don't plan to be one, duckling obsession aside. And one reason is that my bird would be ducks and I know I almost certainly wouldn't have the money/expertise to put together a safe enough outside shelter.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

dog-proof coon traps work quite well as long as you're prepared to dispatch it after it's caught. I always feel bad about killing them, but I've got some nice skins out of it, so :shrug:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

wilderness time!

as part of my habitat experiments i have a few pallets in my backyard. i didn't intend for them to be a baby quail playground, but they turned out to be perfect for that use. the sheltered areas are full of tiny moths that the chicks were able to hunt, shielded from the sky and under the watchful gaze of the gamebird starter crumble totem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

fauna posted:

wilderness time!

as part of my habitat experiments i have a few pallets in my backyard. i didn't intend for them to be a baby quail playground, but they turned out to be perfect for that use. the sheltered areas are full of tiny moths that the chicks were able to hunt, shielded from the sky and under the watchful gaze of the gamebird starter crumble totem

oh my god so much preciousness

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 27, 2019