Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think I hate the whole Rey and Kylo talking to each other through the force thing. They fought so many times in that mode that when they actually do fight at the Death Star I had no idea if Kylo was actually there or not. Just fuckin didn’t care for it

I much prefer force skype as a way for them to be forced to talk to each other without being able to fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

euphronius posted:

Was not expecting that audience score. Huh

With all its faults and lol-worthy story choices, TROS is still entertaining. That's all most average moviegoers really want out of going to the theater. I say this anecdotally as the majority of the group of people I saw the film with aren't the kind who spend time reading/watching/ingesting film analysis or engage in film discourse on social media/message boards and they all said it was pretty good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

There were a few good moments, but he seemed a little bored most of the time. If you're going to bring back Palpatine, he should've spent the entire movie just ruthlessly making GBS threads on Kylo. Making fun of his hat, making fun of his inability to resolve his feelings about mummy and daddy, making fun of how he's never won a lightsaber battle, all of it.

No, the movie should have been Palpatine making GBS threads on Kylo AND ghost Luke just following him around making GBS threads on him too.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Quantum Shart posted:

It does it in the most pathetically regressive way by reducing the force back down to blood magic, gently caress it was the turning point for me from being ambivalent to not liking this jumbled panic attack of a film

Pook Good Mook posted:

In TLJ Snoke said he told Keylo that the force would provide a counterpoint to him.
Actually this made me think, what if both explanations are kind of in play? What if Rey was made stupid strong by the Force as a counterpoint not to Kylo, but to Palpatine? He actually basically says as much, when he says whatever it was about “just as you are all the Jedi, I am all the Sith”? That blunts the “it’s reduced to blood magic” complaint a little and retains the “Force-made counterpoint” explanation.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

euphronius posted:

Was not expecting that audience score. Huh

People love spectacle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly after RoS I like the prequels better. For all their many flaws they were at very least focused and memorable. I am struggling to remember anything from RoS despite seeing it yesterday which is not anything I can say for the rest of the series. (I have not seen Solo to be fair)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pollyanna posted:

The 5-star reviews all read like the twitter posts. Football game, remember?

We live in an age where the corporate machine creates and propagates brands designed for audience conscription. The loudest voices on Twitter are the ones who have allowed Harry Potter/Marvel/MylittlePony to become part of their identity. To challenge or have the quality of a piece of this property challenged is to have your very worldview challenged. Now that everyone has both a platform and an echo chamber at their fingertips it becomes easy to take up arms to defend the brand or to attempt to tear down others to elevate yours.

You're right to call it sports and you can see this mentality in politics as well. EVERYTHING has become brand loyalty, religion, in some ways - my side must be the correct one and I will not engage in any alternate scenarios.

EDIT:

Mat Cauthon posted:

People love spectacle.

Yes, you're also going to get people who just want to clap like seals at things that go kaboom and couldn't give a poo poo if it was Star Wars, Trek or Transformers. They are the blessed.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 20, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

People love spectacle.

And when it gives them what they want. They go into a Star War expecting lightsaber battles and big space battles against Death Stars and to see their favorite characters like Ewoks and Wedge show up and wink and say hi. TLJ didn't really have any of that proper, this has it in ridiculous amounts.

Jedi was actually better audience received than Empire at the initial time, I think.

A creative decision I can't figure out is why JJ didn't illustrate the YOU ARE ALL OF THE JEDI visually with Force Ghosts behind her, which Palps would also see and throw some fear in him as opposed to a bunch of voice cameos of which the average person who even consumed a lot of cartoons and stuff might recognize two of.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hazo posted:

Actually this made me think, what if both explanations are kind of in play? What if Rey was made stupid strong by the Force as a counterpoint not to Kylo, but to Palpatine? He actually basically says as much, when he says whatever it was about “just as you are all the Jedi, I am all the Sith”? That blunts the “it’s reduced to blood magic” complaint a little and retains the “Force-made counterpoint” explanation.

Kylo is continuously stronger than her, though - she's just gifted without training.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

weekly font posted:

It's gonna be borderline impossible to find now so I'm just gonna hope whoever posted it in here sees this request:

Someone posted a picture of some dipshit up on a stage probably giving a TED talk at Facebook HQ or something that had a sign in the background that said something like MAKE THE CONSUMER YOUR ______ MAKE YOUR BRAND A RELIGION etc

If you could repost that for me that'd be swell thank you.

I would also like to know more!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hazo posted:

At that point Ben had already turned to the light, so Sheev wasn't wrong; he represented all the darkness of the Force in the end, whereas Rey believed herself to represent all the light. Sheev and Rey destroying one another was the Force's attempt at balancing itself, but Ben stayed alive, and as such was it was left unbalanced with the death of Sheev and Rey. Ben transferring his life force to Rey brought the force back into balance by equalizing the Jedi and Sith into nothing. Though, this only works assuming that Rey no longer identifies herself as a Jedi (which can be argued by her now brandishing the gold saber).

[edit]

Darko posted:

Kylo is continuously stronger than her, though - she's just gifted without training.

True. He does best her on the death star fight and only "loses" because Leia intervenes.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 20, 2019

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It’s been canonically explained that “balance” means absence of the dark side.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hazo posted:

It’s been canonically explained that “balance” means absence of the dark side.

Nope. Freddie Prinze Jr. is just the messenger here. He's delivering canon straight from Lucas from Filoni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsnb61JPmM

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I thought Disney changed the balance thing, that was Lucas who said balance is no dark.

Finn has about as much Force talent as Leia did in Jedi by the end of this movie. I think TLJ was going full out "Force creates its own poo poo for its own purposes" while this is all about Jedi power vs Sith power.

teagone posted:

True. He does best her on the death star fight and only "loses" because Leia intervenes.

Yeah, he bested her every time he actually went all out in fighting her in any movie, and she gets saved by people interfering all the time and/or him being injured.

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 20, 2019

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

teagone posted:

Ben transferring his life force to Rey brought the force back into balance by equalizing the Jedi and Sith into nothing.
Nah she's a Skywalker!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Nah she's a Skywalker!

She's a Palpatine taking on the Skywalker name, fusing the bloodlines into one entity. Balance.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blood Boils posted:

I would also like to know more!

I got extremely loving lucky and jumped to page 260 to look for it and it was on page 261.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rey is a mary sue now isn't she? I mean there's like no denying it now right?

Hey at least here's an interesting way to look at the trilogy if your one of those people that say George Lucas ruined my childhood, Disney raped it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Hey at least here's an interesting way to look at the trilogy if your one of those people that say George Lucas ruined my childhood, Disney raped it.

No or at least no more than any other fantasy protagonist.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Darko posted:

And when it gives them what they want. They go into a Star War expecting lightsaber battles and big space battles against Death Stars and to see their favorite characters like Ewoks and Wedge show up and wink and say hi. TLJ didn't really have any of that proper, this has it in ridiculous amounts.

I mean, the throne room fight, the hyperdrive crash, and everything that happened on crait? All those scenes are gorgeous spectacle.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just :lol: if you don't think the Palpatine backstory and Snoke clones and star destroyer fleet won't be filled in by the Obi-Wan show and/or Mandalorian season 2 or whatever. Ta-da! Gaps in proper storytelling suddenly become brand opportunities.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

Nope. Freddie Prinze Jr. is just the messenger here. He's delivering canon straight from Lucas from Filoni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsnb61JPmM

That’s cool, I’ve only ever heard the quote from George about balance meaning not dark side. I haven’t kept up with the more recent things I guess.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

feedmyleg posted:

Just :lol: if you don't think the Palpatine backstory and Snoke clones and star destroyer fleet won't be filled in by the Obi-Wan show and/or Mandalorian season 2 or whatever. Ta-da! Gaps in proper storytelling suddenly become brand opportunities.

The bad guys want Baby Yoda so he can Force Heal the charred corpse of Palpatine.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Rey is super strong because she's the last Jedi and the force is giving her it's powers, but also bloodlines because that does matter.

Palpatine is super strong because i like to believe he just absorbed all the souls of former Siths by robbing their tombs, because unlike the Jedi, Siths wouldnt lend you their strength after death, you have to take that poo poo. I'd guess that what he did to Plagueis was absorb his power, the same way he can absorb the life essence of Rey and Kylo. That's his super power, the guys a leech.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
My job? Yeah, I live on Exegol in the blind, dead Emporer's science lab.

He says one day soon I'm gonna have to menace a girl comes to stab him? But also she'll be overcome with rage and I shouldn't stop her?

I dunno, dude's nuts but at least I get benefits. The guys who chant in the robes dont even get that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Lol, no.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

All this talk about bloodlines is what makes Star Wars farcical. "We got to stop these bad Empires, but can only do so with the aid of people that are just born better than everyone else".

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tenzarin posted:

This is a stupid concept in general, but the movie almost dares the people who yelled loudest about it to have another go.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
What would Rey's arc have been if Palpatine wasn't involved at all? People say it'd be better, but there'd be no conflict at all for her without him, apparently people just wanted the ending to be about her killing Kylo because they've decided he represents everything they hate. But a story that's just about an irredeemable jerk being destroyed by a flawless hero doesn't seem interesting at all.

SirPhoebos posted:

All this talk about bloodlines is what makes Star Wars farcical. "We got to stop these bad Empires, but can only do so with the aid of people that are just born better than everyone else".

But that would describe her perfectly regardless, the ship had already sailed on her being naturally better than everybody else prior to any version of her origin being elaborated on in any sense. Again, she wasn't just kind of powerful, she was super powerful and had Anakin's lightsaber becoming sentient just to try to convince her to use the Force, and Obi-Wan's voice echoing in her head.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 20, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

teagone posted:

Lol, no.

The emperor shot out so much lightning he destroyed fleets of ship but rey had the power to stop it on the first try?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Beeez posted:

What would Rey's arc have been if Palpatine wasn't involved at all? People say it'd be better, but there'd be no conflict at all for her without him, apparently people just wanted the ending to be about her killing Kylo because they've decided he represents everything they hate. But a story that's just about an irredeemable jerk being destroyed by a flawless hero doesn't seem interesting at all.

I don't think the suggestion is just to remove Palpatine and leave everything else the same, I think the idea is to write a better storyline for her.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Every character loved rey, even kylo ren!

And she is the last jedi and she is the last skywalker(no relation).

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Tenzarin posted:

The emperor shot out so much lightning he destroyed fleets of ship but rey had the power to stop it on the first try?

I mean she didnt? Her and Ben get loving wrecked and she literally is nearly dying and it takes the power of like 10 dead Jedi's to get her back on her feet. They basically collectively took out Palpatine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Beeez posted:

No one else gets an arc, why should Rey?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Tenzarin posted:

Every character loved rey, even kylo ren!

Poe didn't. Did you miss all the HILARIOUS bickering they did?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Beeez posted:

I would have thought they were going to follow up with TLJ with Keylo in charge but becoming more and more unhinged and detached with rage as he attempts to hunt down Rey and consolidate power. Rey would try to turn him to the light or something while he ravaged civilized worlds looking for her.

Something more personal rather than a magic fleet mcguffin and space wizard

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Just Chamber posted:

I mean she didnt? Her and Ben get loving wrecked and she literally is nearly dying and it takes the power of like 10 dead Jedi's to get her back on her feet. They basically collectively took out Palpatine.

You bring up a good point!

Even dead jedi, Dead for several movies loves Rey! Samual L Jackson Loves REY!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beeez posted:

You can literally do anything. There's an immature emo dude ruling the galaxy and like 20 Rebels with one Force user among them. Write a story about that. There is literally no reason to attempt to recreate Jedi in the 3rd movie and have some big bad wizard with a 3 layered Force/Space/Ground battle.

Hell, ROTS didn't even do that so you already have precedence for the third movie in a Star Wars series not being Jedi. gently caress, have Kylo win, do ANYTHING.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

General Dog posted:

The bad guys want Baby Yoda so he can Force Heal the charred corpse of Palpatine.

I read this and I have no idea if it's parody or an actual synopsis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rey can still be tempted by power for good causes even if Palpatine isn't there.