Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I agree 100%, you're high school teacher should never be a real romantic option. I just really like their relationship outside of any romantic aspects and was also fudging the numbers so tiny sempai could win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Yuiga will end meeting his future wife in college/at work.

The realistic ending.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Adnor posted:

The realistic ending.

Sensei ending confirmed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ethiser posted:

I agree 100%, you're high school teacher should never be a real romantic option. I just really like their relationship outside of any romantic aspects and was also fudging the numbers so tiny sempai could win.

It just makes no sense since assuming sensei is in her mid to late 20's, it would mean that she's either never dated anyone or shown any romantic interest in anyone from HS to now until she met Yuiga which for an adult is a really hard sell. Like I can't not think about how it is possible that she has no interactions with other adult staff that might lead to romance, no the only interaction is with her student and thus potential romance. Even by the usual romcom standards it feels unrealistic. Yes I overthink poo poo a lot. It's why I'm generally TERRIBLE with these types of shows since I instantly feel depressed and awful for the girls who didn't win unless there was "silver medal" already in place to "Pair the Spares" with in a way that made sense.

As for pairings, I like Uruka and if she's gonna go overseas I'd have no issue with it if it's played like in Ultra Maniac where he promises to wait for her and the last chapter/chapters are her coming back or something. Would be a nice little bow to wrap things with.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

doomrider7 posted:

It just makes no sense since assuming sensei is in her mid to late 20's, it would mean that she's either never dated anyone or shown any romantic interest in anyone from HS to now until she met Yuiga which for an adult is a really hard sell. Like I can't not think about how it is possible that she has no interactions with other adult staff that might lead to romance, no the only interaction is with her student and thus potential romance. Even by the usual romcom standards it feels unrealistic. Yes I overthink poo poo a lot. It's why I'm generally TERRIBLE with these types of shows since I instantly feel depressed and awful for the girls who didn't win unless there was "silver medal" already in place to "Pair the Spares" with in a way that made sense.

As for pairings, I like Uruka and if she's gonna go overseas I'd have no issue with it if it's played like in Ultra Maniac where he promises to wait for her and the last chapter/chapters are her coming back or something. Would be a nice little bow to wrap things with.

She's an Ice queen type.

Dudes likely were too scared off by her persona/she rejected anyone who asked.

Like some of the male teachers were hitting on her during that beach episode. And they tried to get her to go out a couple of times IIRC.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Some real single shaming going on here.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ethiser posted:

We're going to have to break out some PhD level harem math to figure this one out. The initial two girls were already in his class so they aren't technically "new" and Uruka was still always going to school with him and was never "new" so she's out. So the only two options left to him are sensei and tiny sempai since they were actually new people who weren't part of his life before the story started. We always have to remove the actually correct answer which eliminate sensei so by process of elimination tiny sempai has to win.

Edit: I went back to verify my information and it looks like tiny sempai might have been the first to put the idea of Yuiga becoming a teacher in his head so that's worth a ton a points.

Asumi is a late entrant, which is the worst possible odds.

If we're looking at it from a popularity/audience pleasing perspective, it would be Sensei, but she's best girl so she's out.

The initial two were in the same grade, but didn't seem to have any contact with him beyond that; they hadn't entered into the story. The ultimate question is "whose story is this?", and their introduction makes the most sense as the beginning of a story for both Yuiga and them. So from a convention/structure perspective, it would be one of the initial two, probably Fujiwara.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Fujiwara is too much of a free spirit to be chained down by a man like Yuiga. Also she's from a different manga

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I will question all assumptions just cause Ichigo 100% didn't follow it, and so I will always think there's a chance, unless the story has heavily favored a girl from the get-go (and even then Ichigo 100% went outta its way to break that trope too). WNL has never favored any girl though other than Sensei popularity, so I think it still feels like it could be anyone, though I tend to discount Rizu just cause she has had the weaker arcs. Also Nariyuki hasn't really made shown his feelings regarding anyone other than potentially Uruka so far, so we'll see whenever the other girls confess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ethiser posted:

We're going to have to break out some PhD level harem math to figure this one out. The initial two girls were already in his class so they aren't technically "new" and Uruka was still always going to school with him and was never "new" so she's out. So the only two options left to him are sensei and tiny sempai since they were actually new people who weren't part of his life before the story started. We always have to remove the actually correct answer which eliminate sensei so by process of elimination tiny sempai has to win.

Edit: I went back to verify my information and it looks like tiny sempai might have been the first to put the idea of Yuiga becoming a teacher in his head so that's worth a ton a points.

Tiny senpai is going to win because that's how the math works out. Ogata is actually going to realize this, because of her skill with math. She'll just be staring at a blackboard covered in equations with a look of despair.

Realistically it should be Ogata or Furuhashi, because the series was originally sold with them being the main love interests, and it wasn't even immediately obvious that it was going to be a harem story (as opposed to a romantic comedy with two love interests). But it's genuinely uncertain which of those it will be (I'm hoping for Furuhashi).

Adnor posted:

The realistic ending.

I already proposed an ending where he dates one of the girls, breaks up with them in college, and years later in his late 20s ends up working at the same school with sensei because they share the same career and at that point would have a pretty normal age gap (I think sensei is supposed to be in her very early 20s).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 23, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It will be Sekijo guys :smug: She deserves happiness as well

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Darth TNT posted:

It will be Sekijo guys :smug: She deserves happiness as well

WITH OGATA.

Asumi shot her chances with the whole fake dating thing.
Fumino is basically Judas Iscariot.
Kirisu is gross because she is living out her senpai crush on his kid. Also statutory rape waiting to happen.

And then we have a pure cute tomboy who called first dibs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mulderman posted:

WITH OGATA.

Kirisu is gross because she is living out her senpai crush on his kid. Also statutory rape waiting to happen.
Dude. Yuiga is turning 18 soon if not already. The age difference is roughly 6-8 years. I think this can be ruled out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rhonne posted:

And Godzilla!

And Goku

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Grouchio posted:

Dude. Yuiga is turning 18 soon if not already. The age difference is roughly 6-8 years. I think this can be ruled out.

I also compared Fumino to Judas. Please don't take that post too seriously.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Agravity Boys Chapter 3

This week's Agravity Boys takes a turn at tackling a serious issue.

Pattern broken! Higher dimensional being MIA.

I don't know what to think of this. :psyduck: I think I need to keep reading this for now to see where this train will crash.

Would've been fun if the higher being showed up with a special toilet or something.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yuiga is going to meet Miku in college and that's how we'll start the Tutor Harem Cinematic Universe.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Ibblebibble posted:

Yuiga is going to meet Miku in college and that's how we'll start the Tutor Harem Cinematic Universe.

Itsuki's the one who's gonna be a teacher. And since she was also the one least likely to end up with Fuutarou, I wouldn't mind that pairing at all. They'd probably get along famously.

Since the main "plot" has been dispensed with, we're in kind of a weird area. All three of the main girls have realized their feelings but only two of them have risen to "confession altitude." Tiny senpai is still too ironically detached to even realize her feelings. Sensei is mostly a beautiful fantasy. Sekijou is just silly.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

let uruka win 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Seikujo/Ogata 2020

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Tsutsui is just rubbing it in at this point

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rubbing it in the face of all Swim Team fans.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Agronox posted:

Tsutsui is just rubbing it in at this point

I've always found stuff like that to be kind of gross and mean spirited. It's I've started moving away from most harem romcoms.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I look askance at the very premise of the genre in the first place

That monster secrets manga would've been vastly better without the harem aspect that caused me to drop the series. If it had just been the guy and the vampire plus their quirky friends I'd have liked it far more

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 25, 2019

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Huh

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Harem romcom series seem made to make big swaths of their fanbase mad because if no one wins everyone gets mad, and most of your fanbase gets mad if anyone wins.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kaja Rainbow posted:

That monster secrets manga would've been vastly better without the harem aspect that caused me to drop the series. If it had just been the guy and the vampire plus their quirky friends I'd have liked it far more
You really should have kept reading. I wouldn't even classify it as harem, it's a triangle that gets resolved long before the series ends.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The problem with harem romcoms is I want them all to be happy but nobody has yet had the guts to do it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kaja Rainbow posted:

What was the harem angle in that one since I started it ages ago and l put in the backburner but forgot to return.

Fabricated posted:

Harem romcom series seem made to make big swaths of their fanbase mad because if no one wins everyone gets mad, and most of your fanbase gets mad if anyone wins.

This actually goes into another point I was gonna say in that people get less mad if everyone gets a happy ending of some kind usually via "Pair the Spares" which in turn brings up the issue that the female leads seem to have very few if any social interactions with friends or people not the MC, family, or other potential harem. Vampire and Komi get a pass since their lack of social interactions and friends is the point of the story and the issue being remedied if you will.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chumbler posted:

The problem with harem romcoms is I want them all to be happy but nobody has yet had the guts to do it.

Edit: I think Umi no Misaki ended like that. Can't remember if there was a harem rivalry, but in that one the winner was set in stone right from the get go and never really indulged the idea of deviating

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 25, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

chumbler posted:

Try Komi-San's most recent chapters.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the problem with most harems is everyone falling over themselves because they're horny for what's usually a comically bland and uninteresting protagonist

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

the problem with most harems is everyone falling over themselves because they're horny for what's usually a comically bland and uninteresting protagonist
This is exactly why We Never Learn is the best one. Yuiga is genuine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is Komi really a harem series?

Like, it's just a love triangle.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I'd say the real big problem is that they never give the female leads any characters to really interact with. They fall for the lead guy because he frankly seems to be the ONLY guy they interact with(outside of family that is). Komi I wouldn't peg as a harem to be honest since the lead isn't surrounded by girls. Something like Ah My Goddess is very much a harem albeit one where there was always a clear definite winner since the intro chapter.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

doomrider7 posted:

I'd say the real big problem is that they never give the female leads any characters to really interact with. They fall for the lead guy because he frankly seems to be the ONLY guy they interact with(outside of family that is).
This is exactly why We Never Learn is the best one.

Yuiga is basically the only guy they interact with so it does stumble there, but the girls are all such good friends with each other. That is part of what is gonna make the conclusion so painful.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is exactly why We Never Learn is the best one.

Yuiga is basically the only guy they interact with so it does stumble there, but the girls are all such good friends with each other. That is part of what is gonna make the conclusion so painful.

It would be SIGNIFICANTLY less painful if they had been given more characters to interact with and whatnot since there'd be some implied side ships is my point with that one.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I'd say you're 100% right on this. The whole genre has a fundamental problem. But its best examples can be fun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chumbler posted:

The only way to have a good solution that makes everyone happy (without a long timeskip or something) is for the author to be willing to set the other characters up with other people, and they're almost always unwilling to do this because it would hurt the ego of the readers (who are self-inserting in the protagonist) if the girl fell in love with someone else. Sometimes they'll do a thing where the loser girl(s) goes "things may not have worked out, but I'm still happy" and that may be better than the "silently pining forever" option, but it's still lame. But there's not really any other option, since the very concept of the "harem" genre exists as a sort of wish fulfillment thing.

The best form for these things to exist in is probably something like We Never Learn where there is a stronger focus on comedy than romance, because the format is fundamentally deeply flawed if someone is looking for a serious romance. This is also why We Never Learn is better than Quintuplets - it's more of a comedy than a drama, while Quintuplets leans more to the latter (though it's still pretty good as far as these things go and has its share of comedy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

The only way to have a good solution that makes everyone happy (without a long timeskip or something) is for the author to be willing to set the other characters up with other people, and they're almost always unwilling to do this because it would hurt the ego of the readers (who are self-inserting in the protagonist) if the girl fell in love with someone else. Sometimes they'll do a thing where the loser girl(s) goes "things may not have worked out, but I'm still happy" and that may be better than the "silently pining forever" option, but it's still lame. But there's not really any other option, since the very concept of the "harem" genre exists as a sort of wish fulfillment thing.

The best form for these things to exist in is probably something like We Never Learn where there is a stronger focus on comedy than romance, because the format is fundamentally deeply flawed if someone is looking for a serious romance. This is also why We Never Learn is better than Quintuplets - it's more of a comedy than a drama, while Quintuplets leans more to the latter (though it's still pretty good as far as these things go and has its share of comedy).

So basically Tenchi is the Alpha and Omega of harem anime with Grand Blue Dreaming as it's apostle.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 26, 2019