Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Looking to get back into reading fiction after falling off it for a few years. I've been in a bit of a bad way lately, so I'm looking for things that are on the funny, cheerful, or uplifting side. Not necessarily cloyingly so, but things that I will smile while reading, because I do appreciate a dark work but I've been reading a bit too much nonfiction about how awful everything is for everyone lately in the interest of staying informed and politically aware, and it's been affecting my day to day mood.

Like any classic goon I like scifi/fantasy, but other stuff (definitely including non-genre fiction) is cool too. Bonus points for LGBTQ+ characters who aren't the focus of tragedy.

Check out Becky Chambers' Wayfarer books. They're sci-fi that focus more on characters than plot but they're very mellow. She also had a novella out last year that was similarly low-key and mostly chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I guess I should mention that I like Agatha Christie-style fair play murder mysteries for their fun puzzle box-like qualities, although they don't really tend to be too uplifting, on account of being about murder. Funny, maybe.

In that case, you might want to check out Dorothy L. Sayers -- not all that uplifting, no, but she's witty and amusing. Murder Must Advertise is her funniest book IMO.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Selachian posted:

In that case, you might want to check out Dorothy L. Sayers -- not all that uplifting, no, but she's witty and amusing. Murder Must Advertise is her funniest book IMO.

The Campion books By Margarey Allingham are also good in that vein. Start as a light parody of Sayers and then go off in their own direction.

Hell if you want cozy murder mysteries without the murder, read Jeeves and Wooster. Start with _ Right Ho,Jeeves_

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Corona got me hankering for something topical. What's the best fiction about a pandemic or gently caress off scary disease or similar? I want something with a bit of heat and hollywood, but anything is fine as long as it isn't a lone pensioner's diary dying alone and learning nothing about the disease or some poo poo like that.
Edit: A loner learning a lot about the disease is good though. E.g. I am Legend.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 27, 2020

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Blindness by Jose Saramago, probably

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

Corona got me hankering for something topical. What's the best fiction about a pandemic or gently caress off scary disease or similar? I want something with a bit of heat and hollywood, but anything is fine as long as it isn't a lone pensioner's diary dying alone and learning nothing about the disease or some poo poo like that.
Edit: A loner learning a lot about the disease is good though. E.g. I am Legend.

You might like some non-fiction, such as Hans Zinsser's Rats, Lice and History, which has great chapter subheads.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Black Griffon posted:

Corona got me hankering for something topical. What's the best fiction about a pandemic or gently caress off scary disease or similar? I want something with a bit of heat and hollywood

Scott Sigler's Infected; it does have some serious body-horror moments if you're squeamish, though

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Oh I loving adore body horror, so that, along with the other two recs, are added to my list.
Edit: Or rather, it's purchased, since I'm terrible at resisting books that are $3 or less.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Oh I loving adore body horror, so that, along with the other two recs, are added to my list.
Edit: Or rather, it's purchased, since I'm terrible at resisting books that are $3 or less.

Tight! If you want less gore and more science, The Andromeda Strain is a classic for a reason, and John Dies at the End is fun if you can you want less science and more druggy, supernatural fuckery.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Connie Willis's Doomsday Book (a time travel story where the protagonist accidentally gets dumped in the midst of a black plague outbreak in medieval England) is dark, but good.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Everyone's gonna tell you Bridge of Birds.

Past that, All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.

None of those have LGBTQ characters though so I'll think a bit more.

Humerus posted:

Check out Becky Chambers' Wayfarer books. They're sci-fi that focus more on characters than plot but they're very mellow. She also had a novella out last year that was similarly low-key and mostly chill.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Campion books By Margarey Allingham are also good in that vein. Start as a light parody of Sayers and then go off in their own direction.

Hell if you want cozy murder mysteries without the murder, read Jeeves and Wooster. Start with _ Right Ho,Jeeves_
Definitely checking all of these out, thanks. I devoured all the Jeeves and Wooster books in high school, P. G. Wodehouse has a really amusing turn of phrase. I remember one of the books had Bertie describe a particularly rowdy working class group as "assorted costermongers, minor pugilists, and purveyors of blood-oranges" which has always stuck with me.

Thanks for all the recs, this thread is great. I've read Sayers before (I think Whose Body?, the first Lord Peter book) so I'll check out more of her work.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 28, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Selachian posted:

Connie Willis's Doomsday Book (a time travel story where the protagonist accidentally gets dumped in the midst of a black plague outbreak in medieval England) is dark, but good.

Every Connie Willis is like a hot topic shirt that became a novel somehow. I hate it so bad.

Black Griffon posted:

The Last Canadian is pretty good if you can find a copy.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Stringent posted:

How was the Abercrombie?

It's been a while since I've read his earlier books, so I'll shy away from detail about them.

I read 'A Little Hatred' recently, and all the exposition in the book takes place by dogmatically exploring odious characters. The pacing and intent revolves around characters' sense of self being unassailable, only to have them experience rapid change through environmental factors outside of their control. It's a raw critique of narcissism (and capitalism). I remember his earlier books being similar, but not nearly as well written as his most recent book.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ubiquitus posted:

It's been a while since I've read his earlier books, so I'll shy away from detail about them.

I read 'A Little Hatred' recently, and all the exposition in the book takes place by dogmatically exploring odious characters. The pacing and intent revolves around characters' sense of self being unassailable, only to have them experience rapid change through environmental factors outside of their control. It's a raw critique of narcissism (and capitalism). I remember his earlier books being similar, but not nearly as well written as his most recent book.

Cool, well I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy so I'll check it out, thanks!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm interested in learning about the history of the concept of the Devil/Satan, and how it's evolved into the modern idea of it. Any good books about that?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm interested in learning about the history of the concept of the Devil/Satan, and how it's evolved into the modern idea of it. Any good books about that?

maybe not quite what you are looking for, but if you are at all interested in a characterization of Satan, you absolutely must read Paradise Lost

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lord Hydronium posted:

I haven't read it yet but Satan the Heretic: The Birth of Demonology in the Medieval West by Alain Boureau might be what you want.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

You want Elaine Pagels's The Origin of Satan.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TommyGun85 posted:

maybe not quite what you are looking for, but if you are at all interested in a characterization of Satan, you absolutely must read Paradise Lost

I think this is an excellent suggestion. Paradise Lost is where most personifications of the Devil/Satan take inspiration.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Selachian posted:

This.

I have it on my shelf and should read it soon too OP.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

Tight! If you want less gore and more science, The Andromeda Strain is a classic for a reason, and John Dies at the End is fun if you can you want less science and more druggy, supernatural fuckery.

hey buddy I just got to the part where Perry inspects his scrotum and oh my god I thought my current deliberately ambivalent view of my own gender had removed from me the sympathetic pain one feels when the balls are in peril but now my entire crotch is aching.

gently caress you and also thanks, this is very enjoyable.

and thanks for other recs, all added.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

gently caress you and also thanks, this is very enjoyable.

and thanks for other recs, all added.

You're welcome- it gets worse!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

TommyGun85 posted:

I actually just bought that recently as well, but yeah, in this case I was looking more for non-fiction from a historical perspective.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't read it yet but Satan the Heretic: The Birth of Demonology in the Medieval West by Alain Boureau might be what you want.

Selachian posted:

Thanks for the recommendations!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I finished Voyage of the Space Beagle a few weeks ago and it was awesome, so thanks whoever recommended that!

I mean, it was a great time capsule and obviously influenced a ton of the Sci Fi of the era. And was fun in a Star Trek original series kind of way.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
After some stalling and easy reading, I think I’m going to tackle The Brothers Karamazov. Am I ok with the P+V translation if I already own it and liked their Idiot and C&P translations?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

After some stalling and easy reading, I think I’m going to tackle The Brothers Karamazov. Am I ok with the P+V translation if I already own it and liked their Idiot and C&P translations?

I've been recommended the Magarshack translation, which you can get (used) for $1-3. It was a Penguins Classic in the 80's.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Can anyone recommend a good "big picture" non-fiction book about the 1920s and the post-WWI period, especially 1918-1923ish? Just something about the social and political changes brought about by such a huge event. Ideally focusing more on Europe than the US, but anything is welcome.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Anyone know any good English language biographies of Sun Yat-Sen from a political perspective?

I read No Less Than Mystic about Lenin which was a good read (although critical) and was wondering if a similar work existed for Sun Yat-Sen.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Looking for some apocalypse fiction where the majority if not all of the book takes place as poo poo Is Going Down. I want to read about one or more people holing up in an apartment carefully rationing food for 300 pages.

Splicer posted:

I'm basically looking for the film Contagion, but longer and in book form.

Splicer posted:

Looking for some survival horror/sci fi where outside is bad but inside unsustainable. The Mist is an obvious example, though preferably with extended scenes of people going outside to support the inside.
Hi guys just wanted to say sorry

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Lomarf.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

quick splicer, ask for books about people having fun and going to big parties because everything's cool

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey can anyone recommend a good book on eating the rich during a successful worker revolution

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Splicer posted:

Hey can anyone recommend a good book on eating the rich during a successful worker revolution

Ok you can borrow my journal but it’s not done yet.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Rolo posted:

I read The Brothers Karamazov twice just not that translation, it's my favorite book. Also read the P+V translation of Anna Karenina and War&Peace, and I thought it was really good. Upon further inspection maybe they aren't considered the definitive best though.

I guess I read the Avsey translation, but it seems there's zero agreement between anyone on the best one.

knox fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 22, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Any good page turners a la Presumed Innocent or Gone Girl? Not necessarly having "a twist" (if it does don't tell me about it :v:), just that feeling of having no loving clue where it could be going.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any good page turners a la Presumed Innocent or Gone Girl? Not necessarly having "a twist" (if it does don't tell me about it :v:), just that feeling of having no loving clue where it could be going.

The Dinner

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Pictures at 11 by Norman Spinrad

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Hi friends. Please recommend books, articles, videos on building positive habits and destroying negative habits.

There is a world of literature on this topic but I don’t know what’s legitimate and what is garbage self-help scamming.

Non-fiction please.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Anyone subscribed to a good fiction magazine they’d like to recommend? Preferably ones available on Kindle, any genre. I’m subbed to Fantasy & Science Fiction, but if I have to read one more “magic clockwork people, but it’s an allegory about slavery/disability/something else incredibly obvious” story, I’ll go insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Any good books on the Imjin War or really any history of Japanese invasions of Korea?

ALSO, any good books about the American Eugenics movement?