Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1244692138820087818

our local leftist twitter celebrity has some words for the sheriff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

What if it's tex-mex served in Brooklyn?

i stopped by tortilla coast last time I was in DC. its across the street from the GOP headquarters and was the worst texmex ive ever had. guess that explains why ted cruz hangs out there so much

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

saintonan posted:

I don't think it's really fair to judge a culture's cuisine based on high-end dining. If I want good Mexican food, I'll go to Las Cazuelitas or Emilias in Brownsville (sorry, don't get into the upper Valley much so I don't have any examples from your neck of the woods). They're never gonna win a Michelin star but it's great food and great service.

It's more along the lines that it's perfectly acceptable to have the Tex-Mex label and it be a "higher end" dining experience. It's not so much to judge but just more examples that establishments like that exist and are perfectly fine. Like I'd also go, if there wasn't a shelter in place order, out to B-Town and get barbacoa from probably the last fire pit in Texas to eat there and take home to my grandpa out in Starr County.

Damnit now I want a Botana platter from Costa Mesa that says it feeds two but can easily feed 8 people.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 30, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/schwartzchron/status/1244696858460672001?s=21

I was wondering who was gonna be the first to try this

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde

Sir Tonk posted:

i stopped by tortilla coast last time I was in DC. its across the street from the GOP headquarters and was the worst texmex ive ever had. guess that explains why ted cruz hangs out there so much

I did as well. Got nachos cause how do you mess up nachos. Spoiler, they managed to mess up nachos.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Oh no the mega churches aren't getting enough money. :cry: gently caress em

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tex mex owns and you're racist if you don't like our flaccid, tiny tamales

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

tex mex is good. why is a raclette so much better and more valid than a queso flameado? and in fact most regional foods are pretty alright, except that garbage from the midwest. that poo poo is gross food for garbage people.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I'm a 35 yr old Hispanic and I still don't know what differentiates tex-mex and Mexican food.

Just give me some good carne guisada and rice, tamales, fajitas, enchiladas, etc, and I'll be a happy fat gently caress.

e: and bathe me in menudo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like Chuy's

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My apologies if a mod comes down on food chat here but I'm pretty sure that's 50% of this thread at any given time anyways.

Marxalot posted:

Hurricanes are why I generally keep 10-20lbs of pintos and rice on hand at all times.

I'm actually curious how well those beans handle over, like, a year. I imagine you don't go through that too fast. I tried to go in on dried beans awhile ago and kept getting sandy results--especially with pintos. I think some of it came from using old beans in particular, and I got the impression you're pushing your luck past a year with dried beans. Stuff like this makes me think otherwise. Or maybe you just put up with it?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

GenSpecific posted:

I did as well. Got nachos cause how do you mess up nachos. Spoiler, they managed to mess up nachos.

I have a thing where I actually like going to "Mexican" restaurants anywhere I find them outside of Texas, which in the States are just weirdly watered down Tex-Mex. Just to see what kind of way they gently caress it all up.

To describe the taste, it's like those middle ages paintings of African animals described second or third hand to the painter who had never seen an elephant, much less anything like one.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My apologies if a mod comes down on food chat here but I'm pretty sure that's 50% of this thread at any given time anyways.

I'm actually curious how well those beans handle over, like, a year. I imagine you don't go through that too fast. I tried to go in on dried beans awhile ago and kept getting sandy results--especially with pintos. I think some of it came from using old beans in particular, and I got the impression you're pushing your luck past a year with dried beans. Stuff like this makes me think otherwise. Or maybe you just put up with it?

I would think like most things, dried pinto beans can freeze for a long loving time. Granted I've never tried it, nor have I needed to. That and washing them so the skin gets a liiiiiitttle soft helps a ton.

Also I find this breather of a convo be a bit better than being hyper focused on how Abbott and Patrick are complete gently caress wits and our AG is trying his damnedest to ban abortion right now. That or any postulating that due to Abbott being a complete wuss will be the straw that breaks the camel's back in getting a Dem in the Governor's Office. :smith:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 30, 2020

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

Just replace tex mex with literally any other cuisine and it's pretty transparent. If you said that about soul food, you'd be called out for being a racist poo poo. If you said that about chinese food, you'd be called out for being a racist poo poo. So on and so forth. When you say that a cuisine isn't worthy of being made gourmet, you are implicitly saying that it is a worse cuisine - because it doesn't deserve to be made the best possible version of that cuisine. This is a racially charged sentiment because, obviously, the cuisines that this is said about are those that are made by groups that historically were impoverished or were discriminated against. The food that they made isn't worthy because they made compromise with poverty. Do you see how this is inherently a racialized statement that discriminates against those communities?

You're such a piece of poo poo lmao. First of all, there are a gently caress ton of hispanic people in Texas that absolutely love dishes like fajitas and tortilla soup and breakfast tacos and so on. I have literally no idea what the gently caress you're talking about with that. Second of all, the implication here that you expect to pay dog poo poo for tex mex is why all those cooks get paid like poo poo - because they can't charge the price that they should or people like you get pissed off that they want to be paid a reasonable wage. I also love how you pretend like all tex mex is the commercialized nonsense you get from places like lupe or chuy's instead of the mom and pop stores that you see all over Texas and especially all over the place in the Valley.

sir, this is a taco bueno

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1244725692245454849

Nice try Kenny

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm not sure it helps, but when I rinse them and boil them, I usually pick out the floaters, which I've been told to do. Haven't run into any problems yet.

Dameius posted:

I have a thing where I actually like going to "Mexican" restaurants anywhere I find them outside of Texas, which in the States are just weirdly watered down Tex-Mex. Just to see what kind of way they gently caress it all up.

To describe the taste, it's like those middle ages paintings of African animals described second or third hand to the painter who had never seen an elephant, much less anything like one.
I do this when traveling, in America that's been on business trips for the last couple of years, which take me all over. I've seen and eaten some really garbage Mexcian and I love the names, like Taco John's or Jimboy's Tacos (brought to you by Mexican restaurateurs, Mr. and Mrs. Knudsen, early pioneers of Cal-Mex).

The thing that I always find the most appalling, probably, is the salsa. I mean these days anywhere there are latinos, whether it's SLC or Detroit or wherever, you can find a good taco or the basics, but I swear to God it's like almost no one outside of Texas, New Mexico and California can make a good table salsa. The Midwest has to be the worst on this. I'm positive on multiple occasions that I've been served ketchup or cocktail sauce with some chopped up vegetables along with chips.

The only thing I've learned in teaching myself how to cook different cuisines over the last 5 years or so in Thailand is that regardless of the recipe, if you don't know what it's supposed to taste like you're not going to make it right, and from this I can deduce that a huge portion of Americans have never had decent salsa, which seems loving crazy because the mediocre bottled poo poo at Walmart or Meijer or whatever is 10x better than what's in the restaurants, so just start by copying that. I can completely forgive American Thai for being almost universally awful, but salsa is unforgivable.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Well of course, because they all get their salsa from New York City. :texas:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

PostNouveau posted:

I like Chuy's

their dip is amazing

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kunabomber posted:

sir, this is a taco bueno

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dameius posted:

Well of course, because they all get their salsa from New York City. :texas:

NEW YORK CITY?!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
My favorite texmex place has the absolute best salsa of anywhere, by far. I don't know if they make it themselves or get an obscure sysco product or something because I've never had it anywhere else. Oh, and the rice. There are very few places that have good seasoned rice (corn and peas do not add to the dish), and anamia's is by far the best. (Granted i believe its just mi cocina's recipe so take that for what you will...)

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Sardonik posted:

All food is loving delicious, how could you be categorically against food? Each category has so much range, there's bound to be something somebody likes in each one.

Except yellow squash, gently caress anything with yellow squash in it.

I was about to bitch and moan that goons posting about food is the goddamn worst but then I read this post, shining like a Taco Bueno sign in Abilene twilight.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
the worst food thing is that everybody under the loving sun overcooks okra and it drives me insane

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

about to order chips and queso from a cheddar's on i35

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Sampatrick posted:

the worst food thing is that everybody under the loving sun overcooks okra and it drives me insane

same with green beans

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

about to order chips and queso from a cheddar's on i35

stay home rear end in a top hat!!

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009
My wife and I did a two year stint in Corpus Christi for work, and we were absolutely flabbergasted by the crappiness of the Mexican food there. We asked recommendations from everybody we knew and every place was just awful. By the end if we desperately needed Mexican, we went to Chuy's. It truly was the lesser of all the evils.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arcella posted:

shining like a Taco Bueno sign in Abilene twilight.

That is quite a turn of phrase

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Devils Avocado posted:

My wife and I did a two year stint in Corpus Christi for work, and we were absolutely flabbergasted by the crappiness of the Mexican food there. We asked recommendations from everybody we knew and every place was just awful. By the end if we desperately needed Mexican, we went to Chuy's. It truly was the lesser of all the evils.

You asked the wrong people, then, there's several good places in Corpus.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

stay home rear end in a top hat!!

lol i'm at a hotel front desk, it's the only food place still doing takeout in the area

queso impression:

https://i.imgur.com/dLUEc2d.mp4

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Devils Avocado posted:

You go to Kingsville, and there definitely should be decent Tex-Mex joints in that refinery town.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
I cooked Italian food tonight because I'm now afraid that the peculiarities of any TexMex I eat will be interpreted as some kind of gang sign in this Forever War.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

I cooked Italian food tonight

that's racist

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's a lot of people angry at whatever Tex-Mex is. Some types of food correspond to ethnic groups, but not all of them, and generally all genres of food can be good so it's not good to be picky.

But if you don't like things covered in excessive amounts of melted cheese, there's not much that's gonna change that.

I thought that the Whitehouse was providing more aide to the states that were politically allied with the president and less to his enemies. Where's the payoff for all that dicksucking that the governor and lieutenant governor have been doing?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Devils Avocado posted:

Everyone discovers this about Corpus. Should be said that, like most of South-of-I-10 Texas, "crappy" is often better than most anywhere else, and I've eaten some kickass food in local Mexican joints, but yeah. If San Antonio had a satellite suburb, it would be Corpus.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's a lot of people angry at whatever Tex-Mex is. Some types of food correspond to ethnic groups, but not all of them, and generally all genres of food can be good so it's not good to be picky.

But if you don't like things covered in excessive amounts of melted cheese, there's not much that's gonna change that.

I thought that the Whitehouse was providing more aide to the states that were politically allied with the president and less to his enemies. Where's the payoff for all that dicksucking that the governor and lieutenant governor have been doing?
There's just something about that Sylvester Turner guy I don't like. Bad guy, folks. Shifty. Can't be trusted, a lot of people are saying.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

that's racist

I make no bones about my far-right cuisine.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lol Trump's still never gonna provide things for black people, no matter what state it's in.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

michael scott wayne gretzky dot gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've only ever heard of him picking fights with governors or congressmen. I wasn't aware he even knew about city mayors to target them.