Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Bryce_Newberry/status/1245514626365825025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Nonsense posted:

Mesquite is the one true wood. Inshallah

Mesquite isn’t even Texan!!

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Nonsense posted:

So basically the Valley including Laredo is taking this dead serious. I don't see Abbott moving the state in that direction unless we approach New York in case explosion.

Yeah, one of the underlying reasons being the general health of our residents, particularly in terms of diabetes and obesity. Also, most people here forego medical care entirely. It could really become a bad situation.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Arcella posted:

Mesquite isn’t even Texan!!

That's why we have to burn it!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Texas begs to differ on mesquite not being a product of Texas, unless we're going full on, "Well it didn't come from there." in which case we can just stop talking about anything other than flatbreads and fish or whatever the various pre-colonial tribes ate, since none of us or these foods came from there. I seriously think a lot of Americans don't recall that the Spanish colonized Mexico and that every "Mexican" thing you know is as colonial as every "American" thing you know. It's not like the Mayans and Aztecs sat down to tables full of chips and salsa or were wandering around making table-side guacamole and slurping ceviche, heh.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There’s a shitton of mesquite trees in Texas y’all.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

Texas begs to differ on mesquite not being a product of Texas, unless we're going full on, "Well it didn't come from there." in which case we can just stop talking about anything other than flatbreads and fish or whatever the various pre-colonial tribes ate, since none of us or these foods came from there. I seriously think a lot of Americans don't recall that the Spanish colonized Mexico and that every "Mexican" thing you know is as colonial as every "American" thing you know. It's not like the Mayans and Aztecs sat down to tables full of chips and salsa or were wandering around making table-side guacamole and slurping ceviche, heh.

A huge portion of Mexican cuisine descends directly from native american cuisine. Tamales? Mole? Tortillas? Mexico is in fact, at least nowadays, one of the post colonial societies where you can find the most direct influences from indigenous cultures. Mexican colonization was honestly not even remotely similar to American colonization in most areas and was in fact more similar to how African colonies were run (once again, in most places).

EDIT: Honestly man you sound incredibly ignorant when you say stuff like this. Guacamole literally is descended from a Nahuatl recipe.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

There’s a shitton of mesquite trees in Texas y’all.

There's one in my yard.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I was reading an article about mesquite trees.

quote:

This genus has been pushing out the Indian wild rear end (Equus hemionus khur).[10] This herbivorous mammal eats the pods of Prosopis spp, which was one of the intended purposes of its introduction. Through digesting and excreting the seeds, the Indian wild asses are providing the habitat needed for germination. The 5,000-km2 Indian Wild rear end Sanctuary is experiencing mesquite invasion of roughly 1.95 km2 a year

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1245465326407606278

So,yes, it's a stay at home order

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What's interesting about ceviche is that actually nobody really knows where it comes from and there have been a number of possible origins proposed. It was either a result of Granadan colonists or possibly a preexisting Moche dish or possibly something that was common throughout the Inca Empire or so on.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Well, almost. He went out of his way to exempt churches, so at worst he is killing lots of people and at best he is confusing lots of people. Awesome leadership, good job Greg.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sampatrick posted:

LOVE NOT BEING ABLE TO CALL TWC AND THEM NOT HAVING MY CORRECT WAGE INFORMATION FROM THE LAST YEAR SO I CANT GET BENEFITS WITHOUT CALLING THEM BUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CALL THEM THAT IS VERY NICE

Before this you would just be told that there were no available lines or operators then hung up on by the robot. Unemployment number stay small if people can't get/stay on it!

god help you all of you get laid off in this idiot state

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sampatrick posted:

A huge portion of Mexican cuisine descends directly from native american cuisine. Tamales? Mole? Tortillas? Mexico is in fact, at least nowadays, one of the post colonial societies where you can find the most direct influences from indigenous cultures. Mexican colonization was honestly not even remotely similar to American colonization in most areas and was in fact more similar to how African colonies were run (once again, in most places).

EDIT: Honestly man you sound incredibly ignorant when you say stuff like this. Guacamole literally is descended from a Nahuatl recipe.
A huge portion of Thai cuisine descends directly from regional cuisines, but, guess what? Not from what is today called Thailand. What is today Mexico is, de facto, a colonial construct and regional cuisines vary diversely across the country. When you drill down, what you always find is that way back in the day they ate this root and that paste and this fish, but over time, and with the influx of other cultures, things changed. The American nonsensical obsession with cultural appropriation, which is the root of any discussion about, "Yeah, but where did it come from?" always pollutes any serious dialog. We don't even know how far back things go or why they ended up the way they are. The papaya salad you're served in an American "Thai" restaurant is a modern Thai regionalization of a Lao dish that's more bland, based on the accession of Northeastern Thailand from Lao after Indochine fell apart. The chicken with basil is a stir fry dish - stir fry having been introduced by the Chinese mostly after they were brought in by King Taksin, if I have it right, to help fight the Burmese, who were the source of many of the curry dishes - though not all, as many are thought to have come from Muslim traders.

Point being, it's good to try and figure this poo poo out, but trying to draw lines in the sand across thousands of years of shifting borders and shared histories and trade routes and so on is just ridiculous. Sure, there's OG food from different parts of what today is called Mexico, and almost none of us have ever eaten any of it, absolutely guaranteed, because the warring groups at that time changed each others' foods with the introduction of regional variety, then the colonists introduced new things from abroad, from ingredients to cooking methods, and changed it again, and then the regional colonial cultures banged up against each other and changed it again. That's human history.

You want to eat real Thai food from what was, prior to the accession of the lands from British Malaya, French Cambodge and French Lao - as well as the interplay with modern day Myanmar - dried fish and chili paste. That's pretty much it. And every Thai person who knows their Thai would tell you that.

So, Texas gets to be a mesquite state because we grow a shitload of mesquite, and that doesn't take away from anyone else's ability to enjoy mesquite. The end, heh.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

while it grows all over texas, most of our mesquite (and nearly all of the HEB briquette charcoal) comes from "forests" in chihuahua and durango

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That's why we have to burn it!

Best of both worlds! Delicious seasoning smoke produced by pruning back an invasive species!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

I would happily read a primer on Texas BBQ styles outside of central Texas style.

Here is the Wiki on the various styles. You'll probably have to do some googling to get non-central stuff. Most likely you'll find info on East Texas the easiest to get.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Boy I just can't wait to see how the Texas Legislature responds to this financial crisis.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Cut taxes!

Nothing else.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zeroprime posted:

Cut taxes!

Nothing else.

Oh, I'm sure there'll be another bathroom bill, or another bill outlawing abortion, or bills taking away cities' ability to function.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

My dude I am not disagreeing with any of that or how cuisines spread and so on. I'm just saying that to call Mexican cuisine as far removed from Native cuisine like American cuisine is absurd and not remotely correct. Mexican colonization in most areas, aside from places like Sonora or other provinces on the border, wasn't the same type of settler colonialism that happened in the US. I'm not saying that the cuisine didn't change over time but to say that Mexican cuisine isn't massively influenced by Native cuisine is absurd and indeed, the cuisine is directly descended from Native cuisine because most Mexicans are descended from Native Americans and that is how they acquired those dishes. It's just not remotely similar to how American colonization happened. Mole is a native dish, Tamales are a native dish, tortillas are a native dish, pozole is a native dish, mixiotes are a native dish, I can go on man. Mexican cuisine is so intimately tied to Native cuisine that it is literally harder to find dishes that have an outright Spanish origin than it is to find dishes with a Native one.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I was curious what happened with the county convention so I checked my e-mail, and apparently I'm a state delegate :laffo:

Most senate districts are hurting to fill delegate spots (looks like SD12 needs 130 more delegates), and since the state convention is online they made everyone that filled out the form to be a delegate.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Pretty sure the Spanish killed a bunch of people when they took over too.

Also pretty sure there are a number of Americans dishes that could be traced back to indigenous origins. Things like wild rice, anything with corn, squash, and beans, tomatoes, potatoes, hominey and grits, cornbread and hush puppies, chitlins, succotash, green chili dishes, sweet potatoes, chili, fried green tomatoes, etc.

Your argument that wealthy white people don’t eat those kinds of foods is fine. Your attempts to claim that the poor people in the US were somehow so much worse than people in Mexico is dumb, bad, and counterfactual. And that’s fully ignoring that there are an awful lot of Hispanic people who’ve lived in territory that’s now the US but was formerly claimed by other people. Their food traditions are no less American, and they are no less valuable to the history and cuisine of our nation because you decided only brown people south of the Rio Grande are worth your adulation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The native americans who lived in northern texas ate a diet of almost only meat. They only came into the area in the 18th century though (which was part of why they didn't know what plants they could eat), so I don't really know who was here before.

There are some complicated politics about Mexico and its race relations. I think more of them were left in general after disease and european brutality took their toll, although regardless of how the european and native populations eventually mixed, the power structure heavily favored those with more european influence, even if the system eventually bucked those who were still fresh from Europe and forged a new national/ethnic identity. Definitely there wasn't any beef, chicken, wheat, cheese, or cilantro before the spanish came, but it's not much relevant because I don't think any cuisine genre around the world is more than 200 years old anyways. Food is an ever-evolving art.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

Pretty sure the Spanish killed a bunch of people when they took over too.

Also pretty sure there are a number of Americans dishes that could be traced back to indigenous origins. Things like wild rice, anything with corn, squash, and beans, tomatoes, potatoes, hominey and grits, cornbread and hush puppies, chitlins, succotash, green chili dishes, sweet potatoes, chili, fried green tomatoes, etc.

Your argument that wealthy white people don’t eat those kinds of foods is fine. Your attempts to claim that the poor people in the US were somehow so much worse than people in Mexico is dumb, bad, and counterfactual. And that’s fully ignoring that there are an awful lot of Hispanic people who’ve lived in territory that’s now the US but was formerly claimed by other people. Their food traditions are no less American, and they are no less valuable to the history and cuisine of our nation because you decided only brown people south of the Rio Grande are worth your adulation.

gently caress off dude, the settling of the US was qualitatively different from the colonization of Central and South America because of the genocidal nature of how colonialism worked in the US (and in Canada). The US predicated their expansion on the expulsion and replacement of Native peoples; you see this in the existence of reservations in the US, a system that isn't and wasn't possible in Mexico and other parts of Latin America because of the extent of Native populations. This isn't to say that Mexico doesn't have a long history of racism against those populations, but to equate the genocidal settler colonialism of the US with the exploitative colonialism of Mexico is absurd and counterfactual.

I also have no idea what the gently caress you're trying to say in your third paragraph because it has literally nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So basically you don’t know what you’re talking about at all. Got it. Gonna let you have your opinions.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nonsense posted:

So basically the Valley including Laredo is taking this dead serious. I don't see Abbott moving the state in that direction unless we approach New York in case explosion.

Hidalgo Sheriff's office is starting to put more pressure on people staying the gently caress home. Maybe officials are trying to take it more seriously while threading the needle of still being business friendly. I still see a shitload of people coming into the liquor store I work at and just browsing for a long rear end while. It really loving annoys me, because I know they're just doing it as an excuse to get out of the house.

The people in general are just barely starting to realize it's bad. Since our geographic isolation has pretty much kept poo poo low key for a long rear end time they think that's how it'll play out again. Most don't realize that if they get sick they probably won't be able to get affordable help in Nuevo Progresso or Reynosa.

Other liquor stores are starting to close earlier so better cleaning can be done and people make it home before curfews. I really want to float the idea to my boss about having people get five minutes max in the store to buy and to leave. I'm just not sure how it could be implemented without people getting all pissy. A good chunk of our customer base is a lot of winter Texan and old people transplants, makes me all kinds of worried for them.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

So basically you don’t know what you’re talking about at all. Got it. Gonna let you have your opinions.

Please enlighten us about how actually Mexican colonization was just like American colonization and was a genocidal affair driven around the expulsion of indigenous populations. The settler colonial nature of American expansion simply was not present in most of Mexico and this is a historical fact. This is why in Mexico you had the development of the Casta system and the growth of the Mestizo caste and so on. Mexican culture is born from a mixture of indigenous and Spanish cultural influences and that is why you have a much larger and clear influence from indigenous cuisines when you look at modern Mexican cuisine. Like, I legitimately don't understand why you're acting like this isn't the case. Spanish colonialism in New Spain (and also in Peru) was predicated on the exploitation of a large, predominately indigenous under class by a much smaller, predominately european ruler class. The census data from the Intendancy in 1794 further confirms this - of a total residency of 1,043,223, there were actually a total of 742,186 indigenous people, with a further Mestizo population of 112,113 in comparison to a population of only 134,695 Spaniards. The majority of Mexico remained predominately indigenous even into the 19th century; it's just not a comparable status to the US.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The two big differences were how there were just more natives left in Mexico after the genocidal conquests because there were more to start with, and how Spain brought natives into its system of feudal control with conquest and slavery as opposed to treating them as weird independently sovereign satellite states that would periodically be bullied into ceding more and more territory.

For the first couple centuries, I'd say that the Spanish had more brutality than the English, Dutch, and French further north of them (partially because Spain's colonies were way more profitable than the dirt farmers and beaver hunters up north), but the brutality did eventually dwindle into more modern class-based oppression while America picked up its second stride with Andrew Jackson forcibly uprooting native populations who had developed a lasting peace with the US and moving them out west. Mexico just empowered the wealthy to steal villages' land and keep the villagers on as hired workers, that was much less genocidal.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sampatrick posted:

Please enlighten us about how actually Mexican colonization was just like American colonization and was a genocidal affair driven around the expulsion of indigenous populations. The settler colonial nature of American expansion simply was not present in most of Mexico and this is a historical fact. This is why in Mexico you had the development of the Casta system and the growth of the Mestizo caste and so on. Mexican culture is born from a mixture of indigenous and Spanish cultural influences and that is why you have a much larger and clear influence from indigenous cuisines when you look at modern Mexican cuisine. Like, I legitimately don't understand why you're acting like this isn't the case. Spanish colonialism in New Spain (and also in Peru) was predicated on the exploitation of a large, predominately indigenous under class by a much smaller, predominately european ruler class. The census data from the Intendancy in 1794 further confirms this - of a total residency of 1,043,223, there were actually a total of 742,186 indigenous people, with a further Mestizo population of 112,113 in comparison to a population of only 134,695 Spaniards. The majority of Mexico remained predominately indigenous even into the 19th century; it's just not a comparable status to the US.

I mean, the huge string of military forts/forced re-education camps the Spanish built weren't exactly what I would call friendly to the locals...

The big difference is that in the end the locals won in mexico.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, the huge string of military forts/forced re-education camps the Spanish built weren't exactly what I would call friendly to the locals...

Oh absolutely, I would never defend that the ruling class was nice to the native populations. They were incredibly exploitative, almost a preliminary form of the type of exploitative colonialism that would later take a final form in the colonization of Africa.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

*grins EPNishly*

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
lol i just got asked to attend an 8-10 person meeting in downtown dallas

no one cares

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my libertarian friend is hosting a "social resistancing" bbq tomorrow

would you turn down free bbq, thread

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

i say swears online posted:

it depends on the sausage to ribs ratio

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's a libertarian, so he probably serving veal.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

i say swears online posted:

cheap sausages and overcooked bar-s hotdog rear end libertarian bbq

Dameius posted:

It's a libertarian, so he probably serving veal.

:vince:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I was always told the English/French wanted to actually build colonies and infrastructure and stuff while the Spanish were more interested in strip-mining the Americas and sending everything back to the motherland

Have no idea how true that is

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Spanish killed and enslaved a shitload of people including basically all the native people in the Caribbean what the gently caress is the conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn’t know Hernan Cortes was on this board. Bienvenidos