Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

if any of y'all are Jack Vance nerds with disposal income rn several books from his estate (his personal collection I think?) are being auctioned off an ebay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah i might just start Broken Earth (and some octavia butler) myself since what ive seen about it from yall and my own research makes it seem really really interesting and then see if my girlfriend's taken in by the Inheritance trilogy.

Ive been trying to help her find reading material that will hook her during this quarantine, she's very much a gamer/nerd type who loves witcher/skyrim/fallout/the early seasons of game of thrones but really wants to find stuff that's written by women of color featuring women of color.
I'm sure some of the stuff that isn't exactly "classic european medieval fantasy" might still interest her, she was mostly just talking about reading something with archers and swords and political intrigue and magic and so forth.

City of Brass is an Arabian Knights style high fantasy that’s primarily political intrigue, featuring an Egyptian woman who learns she’s half djinn and can do magic. Unfortunately the third book in the trilogy is not out until June 30. I’ve been waiting so long

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Stuporstar posted:

City of Brass is an Arabian Knights style high fantasy that’s primarily political intrigue, featuring an Egyptian woman who learns she’s half djinn and can do magic. Unfortunately the third book in the trilogy is not out until June 30. I’ve been waiting so long
I feel you. That and Harrow are the only books I ever preordered.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
E: beaten on City of Brass and very much agree.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah this makes sense, it's almost a counter intuitive quest i put yall on though i appreciate all the good tips...it'd be easy if there was like, a non white george rr martin type who wrote less rapey and less hosed up clearly-written-by-a-dude type poo poo.

Just nthing NK Jemisin, Broken Earth is just straight up the best fantasy trilogy imo.

As other people have said I think just less creepy white dudes are still the biggest set of less rapey/weird GoT esque books. A lot of WoC go beyond western Europe 2.0 for setting, and have a wider variety of stories. That said, there are at least a few other WoC fantasy authors I'd look at.

All of these are more focused on individual characters/operate on a different scale than Got, but they're at least good WoC fantasy that's relatively light compared to like Kindred or something. I think The Broken Crown by Michelle West might be good, although it has more of a focus political intrigue rather than big battles and whatnot. I would also try the Poppy War by RF Kuang. For Nnedi Okorafor Who Fears Death would probably be the closest - her fantasy books are always much more about following an individual character though. City of Brass doesn't have the same scale/focus as GoT, but it does have internicine conflict with multiple sides in a fantasy city (and is good).

This is more like, modern fantasy but honestly I think one of the closest in terms of having a bunch of different sides and a mix of intrigue and fighting with some magic would be the Jade City, but it's very much not a swords and sorcery kind of setting.

E: it's a graphic novel, but Monstress is also very good. It features two empires, one magical with multiple dissenting factions, and the other focused on eradicating the former. It begins during a rapidly deteriorating detente between the two sides, has gorgeous art, and would be worth a try imo if she's up for reading a comic.

foutre fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 3, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'd recommend Nalo Hopkinson's Brown Girl in the Ring but that's urban fantasy, not swords and sorcery.

Does it have to be by a black woman? If S&S by a black man is okay, then Samuel Delany's Neveryon books. Or Charles Saunders's Imaro, which is an African take on the mighty-thewed barbarian hero type.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Thank you so much for this.

Stuporstar posted:

I almost suggested that, but they specifically asked for WoC and the author of those isn't one (unless the pictures on Google are the usual white-washed photoshop filters).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Thank you so much for this.

I almost suggested that, but they specifically asked for WoC and the author of those isn't one (unless the pictures on Google are the usual white-washed photoshop filters).

i don't think they're whitewashed based on her wiki bio

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
She’s a mid-life convert to Islam but born to white Catholic parents in New Jersey.

Great books though!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

buffalo all day posted:

i don't think they're whitewashed based on her wiki bio

I didn't look that far.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Babel-17 by Samuel Delaney - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE2JK4Y/

Promise of Blood (Powder Mage #1) by Brian McClellan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092XHPIG/

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished the 7th Foreigner book. Deciding to take a break from it because I almost addressed someone as "Nadi"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ah, epic fantasy:

-read 400 pages
-only 56% through the book

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

ah, epic fantasy:

-read 400 pages
-only 56% through the book

Anything under 500 pages seems like a short story to me now.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

my bony fealty posted:

if any of y'all are Jack Vance nerds with disposal income rn several books from his estate (his personal collection I think?) are being auctioned off an ebay

Do you have any links? I can’t find, probably as I’m an idiot.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

foutre posted:

E: it's a graphic novel, but Monstress is also very good. It features two empires, one magical with multiple dissenting factions, and the other focused on eradicating the former. It begins during a rapidly deteriorating detente between the two sides, has gorgeous art, and would be worth a try imo if she's up for reading a comic.
Oooh i COMPLETELY forgot about that comic, i remember going 3 or 4 issues??? in but i guess i just stopped reading ANY comics (even the Image stuff i liked like that and the wicked + divine) 3 or 4 years ago
Thanks for reminding me, she likes anime enough so im sure some non superhero western comics here n there like that would interest her.

Lotta great tips on fantasy novels here, gonna add em to the list

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One option is probably LeGuin's Earthsea series if she hasn't read it. LeGuin was white but her characters are pretty consistently not so.

This is an interesting point when it comes to contemporary urgings to read more female and POC authors (which I totally understand and support): is the purpose of it for representation in fiction, or for supporting the work and careers of actual real-life minority writers? Obviously the ideal answer is "both," but when I make an effort to read more female authors - as I've done recently - I notice that their works don't necessarily feature female characters in any greater number than male-written fiction.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anything under 500 pages seems like a short story to me now.

gotta alternate ginormous SFF tomes with jack reacher books, it's the only way to stay sane

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

freebooter posted:

This is an interesting point when it comes to contemporary urgings to read more female and POC authors (which I totally understand and support): is the purpose of it for representation in fiction, or for supporting the work and careers of actual real-life minority writers? Obviously the ideal answer is "both," but when I make an effort to read more female authors - as I've done recently - I notice that their works don't necessarily feature female characters in any greater number than male-written fiction.

LeGuin had a great response to this in an interview I read that was published with one of her stories, can't remember where though. The interviewer noted that her work was very progressive but that many of her stories featured no women at all, and was she trying to make a comment about anything by writing such a conspicuous absence?

She replied with a very deadpan line like "stories about men sell better and I still need to get published."

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I came in here to make a recommendation request, and was happy to see discussion of author diversity. I’m nearly finished with Jemisin’s Broken Earth trilogy, and have loved reading scifi/fantasy with none of the usual gross gratuitous sex or paper thin sex-object female characters that nearly define the genre. The series features female protagonists of diverse races, and as a straight white male I really enjoyed that and would like more.

The Broken Earth series thematically ties in with current events in that periodic apocalyptic events force people to take shelter from a hostile environment for indefinite periods for survival. Jemisin is also sane about gender. There is a bit where a character seriously explains that without meat survival is impossible, which is nonsense without some in-universe explanation as to why they differ from current humans, but for the most part the trilogy earned its Nebula awards.

Can anyone recommend apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic fiction that doesn’t make me want to punch the author? That is, no characters who exist only to be sex objects and no obvious self-insert supermen. Bonus points for female or POC authors and major characters. Obviously Heinlein is right out. Any favorites? Bonus points for interesting and logical world/culture building.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Snakedance by Vonda McIntyre is an interesting far-future post apocalyptic novel that fits those criteria. I read it after Ursula K. LeGuin singled it out for praise.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Loucks posted:

I came in here to make a recommendation request, and was happy to see discussion of author diversity. I’m nearly finished with Jemisin’s Broken Earth trilogy, and have loved reading scifi/fantasy with none of the usual gross gratuitous sex or paper thin sex-object female characters that nearly define the genre. The series features female protagonists of diverse races, and as a straight white male I really enjoyed that and would like more.

The Broken Earth series thematically ties in with current events in that periodic apocalyptic events force people to take shelter from a hostile environment for indefinite periods for survival. Jemisin is also sane about gender. There is a bit where a character seriously explains that without meat survival is impossible, which is nonsense without some in-universe explanation as to why they differ from current humans, but for the most part the trilogy earned its Nebula awards.

Can anyone recommend apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic fiction that doesn’t make me want to punch the author? That is, no characters who exist only to be sex objects and no obvious self-insert supermen. Bonus points for female or POC authors and major characters. Obviously Heinlein is right out. Any favorites? Bonus points for interesting and logical world/culture building.

I think we had this request a few pages back, but I'm deep enough into a book that I feel comfortable reccing it. If you can stomach zombies, Lilith Saintcrow's Roadtrip Z series so far is a fun "what if the government decided it would be a good idea to make a super-soldier serum and distribute it through the annual flu vaccine" scenario that follows dual protagonist in rural America - a librarian and an ex-soldier. He's hot and competent, but in more of a romance lead style than a self-insert, so he respects women and has attractive flaws. As the outbreak hits and society falls to ruins, they team up with another ex-soldier (who is black) and two teenagers and set out on a roadtrip of survival.

I'm halfway through the second book and loving it, as the author got really into describing small town life and had a real slow burn of a buildup that felt fantastic to read, creepy in all the right ways. And I appreciate too that while there is a budding romance between the two leads, they've acknowledged it and shelved it because there's no time for it when survival comes first.

It's kind of cliche for zombie fiction, I guess, but it pulls it off so well I don't care. I want this team to survive, I want the leads to smooch, and I want to see more awful horror with the zombies, because they're freaky in all the right ways. Oh, and the politics are interesting because the librarian is from the big city and has liberal views, and the hero is most determinedly not, and it doesn't shy away from that, although of course no republican/democrat name dropping happens. It's also interesting to think of one of the author's other novels, Afterwar, which is set after a modern American civil war, and I believe she wrote it as a response to Trump. I haven't read it yet, but it's coming.

(hi I'm the resident Saintcrow fangirl. Her Dante Valentine urban fantasy is some incredible writing on trauma and how it wrecks you, her Jill Kismet #1 is about recovery and moving on after a loved one dies + fighting demonic monsters, and everything else of hers I've tried has been amazing. I really like her style!)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m not seeing that title. Do you mean “Dreamsnake?”

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Loucks posted:

Viriconium. The caveat is that it uses a so-far-into-the-future-it's-magic setting to tell a lot of different stories that start off with sword and sorcery and head towards completely different directions. It's a set of three novellas and a bunch of short stories, shouldn't be that hard to get an omnibus.

For something more traditional - Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor features some actual magic but the story is set in post-apocalyptic Sudan and it's a great book overall. Both the author and the protagonist are PoC as well.

I guess there is also the obvious post-apocalpyse classic, A Canticle for Leibowitz. I don't remember any author-punching-inducing scenarios in there, although there might be some in the sequel.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

^Canticle is pretty free from cringey poo poo, yeah

Loucks posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m not seeing that title. Do you mean “Dreamsnake?”

gently caress. Yes. I need to not post before the caffeine kicks in in the morning :doh:

Snakedance is the title of a really bad old Dr. Who episode

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 4, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Taking a break from my binge read of the Foreigner series after almost ending a sentence calling someone "Nadi". Read up through book 7. Overall enjoying the series, reminiscent of the Vorkosigan Saga.

My book club decided on The Blade Itself so I just switched to that and uhh woof, it's hard going from Cherryh's page long monologues to someone who seems to average 8 words a sentence, and uses exclamation points liberally.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Loucks posted:

Can anyone recommend apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic fiction that doesn’t make me want to punch the author?

Trail of Lightning / Storm of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse. It's set in the Navajo Nation far enough after apocalypse/breakdown that a new normal is kind of asserting itself but society is still very much changed. Doesn't focus quite as much on the (post)apocalypse itself as something like Broken Earth, and is generally a bit lighter of a read, but still feels p eschatological.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Octavia E Butler's Parables of the Sower and of the Talents books are both really good books that aren't exactly post-apocalyptic, but mid-societal breakdown. The main character is a young woman who goes on the road and meets different people and builds her own philosophy of what she thinks society should be like after collapse.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XUBC2C/

Skin Game (Dresden Files #15) by Jim Butcher - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HUVUSZ4/

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards #1) by Scott Lynch - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JMKNJ2/

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0180T0IUY/

Red Rising by Pierce Brown - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVS2J80/

Black Leopard, Red Wolf (Dark Star Trilogy #1) by Marlon James - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DP5W1LT/

Cradle Series by Will Wight - first three free
Unsouled - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1CYBS6
Soulsmith - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M09PWJQ
Blackflame - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716GZ8QX

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

pradmer posted:

Black Leopard, Red Wolf (Dark Star Trilogy #1) by Marlon James - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DP5W1LT/

Get this book!!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

Get this book!!!!

It's very good, BUT it contains copious amounts of rape, child abuse, child murder, rape, violence, and other really distasteful subjects. Marlon James pulled no punches and it's grimdark as hell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's very good, BUT it contains copious amounts of rape, child abuse, child murder, rape, violence, and other really distasteful subjects. Marlon James pulled no punches and it's grimdark as hell.

You said "rape" twice.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

He really likes rape.

:haw:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

pradmer posted:

Red Rising by Pierce Brown - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVS2J80/

Oh hey, this one's cheap here too. Anyone know what it is?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Black Griffon posted:

it's YA about a dystopian caste system dedicated to terraforming Mars. sort of hunger games-ish. I stopped after the first one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Rat posted:

He really likes rape.

:haw:

har har

For the record I prefer she/her pronouns.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pradmer posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards #1) by Scott Lynch - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JMKNJ2/

get this

quote:

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0180T0IUY/

don't get this

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

it's YA about a dystopian caste system dedicated to terraforming Mars. sort of hunger games-ish. I stopped after the first one.

It's basically The Hunger Games, Ender's Game, and Lord of the Flies run through a blender. I've only read the first one, and it was okay, but I'm in no hurry to pick up the rest of the series.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Lies of Locke Lamora is really good. If the sequels don’t live up to it it’s partly because it’s a hard act to follow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

I stopped halfway through because it read like a video game novelization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Selachian posted:

It's basically The Hunger Games, Ender's Game, and Lord of the Flies run through a blender. I've only read the first one, and it was okay, but I'm in no hurry to pick up the rest of the series.

It took me a while to circle back to the other books. They're a pretty big shift in setting, but I actually ended up enjoying them. They're good popcorn books.