Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

The dissolution of sugar in water doesn’t break chemical bonds. Otherwise it would be a reaction.

How do you know Gamers are angry about it? Given that the flaws of EGS have been fairly well publicized, this reads more as you saying “I don’t agree with people who don’t like Thing” rather than “I don’t know why they don’t like Thing.”

I genuinely do not know, I just see when people mention it people talk about how it's bad, all I know is they give out free games that I want to play so I have no problem with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
EGS doesn’t have a shopping cart, has employed pricing and discount schemes without coordinating with studios and publishers leading to said groups suspending sales at times. Their strategy with exclusive acquisition has incentivized studios to renege on previous agreements to provide steam keys. In addition, there have been unfounded allegations that TenCent’s stake in EGS means that consumer data will be provided to a Chinese entity-a rumor that found some support when the program was found to be accessing Steam data without notifying users.

There’s an also the argument that aggressively pursuing EGS exclusives is anti-consumer and leads to artificially higher prices for games, hurting gamers rather than letting game distribution platforms compete on features and price rather than monopolistic practices.

You’ve literally never seen any of the above statements?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

We also only have epic's word that its unintentional and that they cant read those files unless given permission by the user at a later rime

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

EGS doesn’t have a shopping cart, has employed pricing and discount schemes without coordinating with studios and publishers leading to said groups suspending sales at times. Their strategy with exclusive acquisition has incentivized studios to renege on previous agreements to provide steam keys. In addition, there have been unfounded allegations that TenCent’s stake in EGS means that consumer data will be provided to a Chinese entity-a rumor that found some support when the program was found to be accessing Steam data without notifying users.

There’s an also the argument that aggressively pursuing EGS exclusives is anti-consumer and leads to artificially higher prices for games, hurting gamers rather than letting game distribution platforms compete on features and price rather than monopolistic practices.

You’ve literally never seen any of the above statements?

I have only ever heard the one about "monopolistic practices" which struck me as odd considering that before EGS came around things were much more monopolistic. But I hadn't heard any of the others

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Carillon posted:

What's the hottest thing you can touch safely temperature wise, not due to the Leidenfrost effect, but rather because of the material having such a low thermal transfer rate?

That's a pretty interesting question (not sure what the Leidenfrost effect has to do with it either)

There's a lot that goes into it though. It's also kind of a trivial question without specifying how big is the thing you're gonna touch, and how long are you gonna touch it. For example you could hold a nanogram of material that is 10,000 degrees because it has so little actual heat to offer. Or you can touch a really hot piece of ceramic without burning yourself if you touch it really really quickly, since it has a low conductivity, but if you hold your hand on it for long you will burn.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do Gamers get so mad that the Epic Games store exists?

As one person who plays video games and posts in the steam thread a lot, and who also possesses strong negative feelings towards the Epic Games Store: those assholes went to a game I was anticipating (Phoenix Point) and gave them enough money to lie to me. I was going to get a steam key when the game dropped, that's the promise that happens when you back a kickstarter or fig or whatever. And suddenly I was told that no, that wasn't happening. It wasn't until enough people complained that the PP people promised steam keys again.

So in short: I cannot trust anyone who would pay others to lie to me, or otherwise misdirect me. I have nothing against other launchers (I use origin and uplay), but that one incident soured me on them forever and I will take grudges to the grave.

*This story does not mean that steam isn't also terrible, but I've already built up enough goodwill towards it that I'm more forgiving. Almost the first thing I learned about the EGS impacting me was through Phoenix Point.

**They also did this with Metro Exodus, which was on the steam storefront and then it wasn't, because EGS paid them enough money to do that.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

alnilam posted:

That's a pretty interesting question (not sure what the Leidenfrost effect has to do with it either)

There's a lot that goes into it though. It's also kind of a trivial question without specifying how big is the thing you're gonna touch, and how long are you gonna touch it. For example you could hold a nanogram of material that is 10,000 degrees because it has so little actual heat to offer. Or you can touch a really hot piece of ceramic without burning yourself if you touch it really really quickly, since it has a low conductivity, but if you hold your hand on it for long you will burn.

Well I was thinking how there's the physics demonstration where a teacher might dip their hand into molten lead, which wasn't what I was thinking about was all.

I hadn't really thought about the size and duration piece specifically, but that make sense. I guess decent size like a plate or pan or something, and duration wise fairly long? Not just a quick 2 second brush, but where you can actively manipulate the object.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Carillon posted:

What's the hottest thing you can touch safely temperature wise, not due to the Leidenfrost effect, but rather because of the material having such a low thermal transfer rate?

Carillon posted:

I hadn't really thought about the size and duration piece specifically, but that make sense. I guess decent size like a plate or pan or something, and duration wise fairly long? Not just a quick 2 second brush, but where you can actively manipulate the object.

Not sure if it's the hottest, but the stuff they used for the Space Shuttle's heat shield tiles is probably right up there. Here's someone picking up a block of it that's at two thousand degrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9Yax8UNoM

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hmm well you could either go for a really low heat capacity, so that a pan-sized object wouldn't have all that much heat to transfer to your hand, or a really low conductivity. However in a very low conductivity situation you still need to care about heat capacity, because when you touch it, your hand would still absorb the heat from the outermost layer - that heat would just take longer to be replaced from the interior of the object due to the low conductivity. So to avoid being burned upon touching you'd still want a low heat capacity object.

Digging around the numbers a bit and sorta hand-waving a little:

Uranium and Gold have very low heat capacities by weight, but they are also really heavy so a pan made of them would have a lot of mass and therefore still hold quiet a lot of heat. Gold also has a super high conductivity. Uranium's conductivity is actually comparatively low.

Manganese has the lowest conductivity for any pure metal and a fairly middle-of-the-road heat capacity for metals. It's also fairly light iirc so a pan wouldn't have much mass.

So I'd start with manganese or uranium I guess. No biggie just drive down to bed bath and beyond and get a uranium pan.

Ceramics tend hold a lot of heat but have low conductivities. So I sorta doubt you'd be able to handle one for long because there would be so much heat to absorb from the outermost layers even if the heat from the core is not flowing out to your hand. That's a harder problem to solve though and i'm sorta talking out of my rear end here.

e: beaten, yeah hold a thermal tile instead

e2: it's unclear what's happening in that video, it seems to be still glowing red hot but he tells people to only touch it by the corners, where it's no longer glowing. He also says it's because it's "dissipating the heat so quickly." So it seems like the corners aren't actually that hot anymore (the core would be dissipating heat out of the flat sides which are closer to the core) which is maybe cheating?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 13, 2020

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Not sure if it's the hottest, but the stuff they used for the Space Shuttle's heat shield tiles is probably right up there. Here's someone picking up a block of it that's at two thousand degrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp9Yax8UNoM

alnilam posted:

Hmm well you could either go for a really low heat capacity, so that a pan-sized object wouldn't have all that much heat to transfer to your hand, or a really low conductivity. However in a very low conductivity situation you still need to care about heat capacity, because when you touch it, your hand would still absorb the heat from the outermost layer - that heat would just take longer to be replaced from the interior of the object due to the low conductivity. So to avoid being burned upon touching you'd still want a low heat capacity object.

Digging around the numbers a bit and sorta hand-waving a little:

Uranium and Gold have very low heat capacities by weight, but they are also really heavy so a pan made of them would have a lot of mass and therefore still hold quiet a lot of heat. Gold also has a super high conductivity. Uranium's conductivity is actually comparatively low.

Manganese has the lowest conductivity for any pure metal and a fairly middle-of-the-road heat capacity for metals. It's also fairly light iirc so a pan wouldn't have much mass.

So I'd start with manganese or uranium I guess. No biggie just drive down to bed bath and beyond and get a uranium pan.

Ceramics tend hold a lot of heat but have low conductivities. So I sorta doubt you'd be able to handle one for long because there would be so much heat to absorb from the outermost layers even if the heat from the core is not flowing out to your hand. That's a harder problem to solve though and i'm sorta talking out of my rear end here.

e: beaten, yeah hold a thermal tile instead

e2: it's unclear what's happening in that video, it seems to be still glowing red hot but he tells people to only touch it by the corners, where it's no longer glowing. He also says it's because it's "dissipating the heat so quickly." So it seems like the corners aren't actually that hot anymore (the core would be dissipating heat out of the flat sides which are closer to the core) which is maybe cheating?

Awesome, thank you both!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I logged into an old Windows 10 laptop that has my Microsoft login, and logs in using a PIN. Now logging into my desktop PC, that I use a password for, my desktop has all of the colour settings and the background from that laptop. I can't find out how to change it back. The colour scheme is dreadful, either it's too bright or too dark. If I change it to Light mode, the taskbar is basically white, and if I change it to dark mode, the bookmarks bar on Chrome is always black, so I can't see half my bookmarks.

Stupid loving windows, just let me tell you what to do.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Memento posted:

just let me tell you what to do.

The story of personal computing in the last 10-15 years :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Does anyone know a good resource, or person, or place where I can learn how to become an accountant?

I'm stuck in a worthless job that pays a liveable wage. I hate hate hate my job, but I have no skills or education, and no other job is going to start me out at what I'm making now. I'm thirty-loving-six all of a sudden, and I want to have a job I'm not embarrassed to talk about or angry to work in.

Previously I worked in the billing department for T-Mobile and I was really good at it. I mean, when I say really good, I mean I took to it like birds to whatever they take to. I really enjoyed doing it. I got fired later for something not related to work but did involve my supervisor and ugh, it was a big thing and I had to take the fall so he didn't lose his job over it. That was a long time ago. In the interim, I did get an Associate's degree in business, but that's all but entirely worthless. But I did take Accounting 101 and was good at it. I like it, too.

I loving suck at every goddamn other thing, but I think if I could just get educated and trained, I'd be a fantastic accountant. I went and got Bookkeeping For Dummies, which is hardly a textbook but is a great primer for this kind of thing. The problem is, after I read this book, I don't know what to do, and I don't know any accountants or bookkeepers who can actually point me in the direction I should be going.

My attempts to do this on my own have just left me with countless Google searches and Reddit dead-ends. So many people are like GO TO COLLEGE GET YOUR DEGREE and just as many people are like DON'T GO TO COLLEGE YOU DON'T NEED IT TO BE AN ACCOUNTANT and then some say to just abandon this path because it'll never go anywhere and the other half are like, there is always need for accountants and you can make so much money!

Every good tip I find leads me to a good tip that just negates the first one. :sigh:

credburn fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 14, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carillon posted:

Well I was thinking how there's the physics demonstration where a teacher might dip their hand into molten lead, which wasn't what I was thinking about was all.

This is, far, far, from the materials science record holder, but there’s a plastic I work with sometimes called polycaprolactone. It melts in boiling water and I can pull it out with tongs, shake the water out, and immediately start shaping this hundred‐centigrade stuff with my bare hands because it is quite bad at transferring heat.

It’s transparent with a refractive index when liquid and when it solidifies, it goes milky white like polyethylene. This provides a further visualisation of its poor heat conductivity. You can watch it melt from the outside in in hot water.

e: Here’s a teacher using it for a demonstration. I like his reptile joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2WmYqzmyw

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 14, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

credburn posted:

Does anyone know a good resource, or person, or place where I can learn how to become an accountant?

I'm stuck in a worthless job that pays a liveable wage. I hate hate hate my job, but I have no skills or education, and no other job is going to start me out at what I'm making now. I'm thirty-loving-six all of a sudden, and I want to have a job I'm not embarrassed to talk about or angry to work in.

Previously I worked in the billing department for T-Mobile and I was really good at it. I mean, when I say really good, I mean I took to it like birds to whatever they take to. I really enjoyed doing it. I got fired later for something not related to work but did involve my supervisor and ugh, it was a big thing and I had to take the fall so he didn't lose his job over it. That was a long time ago. In the interim, I did get an Associate's degree in business, but that's all but entirely worthless. But I did take Accounting 101 and was good at it. I like it, too.

I loving suck at every goddamn other thing, but I think if I could just get educated and trained, I'd be a fantastic accountant. I went and got Bookkeeping For Dummies, which is hardly a textbook but is a great primer for this kind of thing. The problem is, after I read this book, I don't know what to do, and I don't know any accountants or bookkeepers who can actually point me in the direction I should be going.

My attempts to do this on my own have just left me with countless Google searches and Reddit dead-ends. So many people are like GO TO COLLEGE GET YOUR DEGREE and just as many people are like DON'T GO TO COLLEGE YOU DON'T NEED IT TO BE AN ACCOUNTANT and then some say to just abandon this path because it'll never go anywhere and the other half are like, there is always need for accountants and you can make so much money!

Every good tip I find leads me to a good tip that just negates the first one. :sigh:

Is it accountant or bust? I think you can get a job coding if you're willing to work, intensely and seriously, at learning it for 6 months or so.

Download PyCharm and start with a couple of books:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1654414018/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RxMnFb4HYV43E and https://www.amazon.com/dp/1951791274/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fyMnFbEWECVXN to start, then slightly more advanced books, then more advanced books, etc. You won't be coding the next Shopify or IFTTT after 6 months but you won't need to -- if you have a good understanding of the concepts and generally understand what is possible and how to go about it, you can land a job. The big secret about programming is that for almost any issue you run into, someone smarter has already figured it out and you just Google how to do it and adapt their code as needed. I mean, that's oversimplifying a bit but if you're relatively smart and have a flexible mind you can get a job after 6 months of hard work learning. Depending where you live, finding a job might be easier or harder and your first job might only pay like $50k but that's the first step.

If it turns out you have a knack for it and you get into the data science aspects of python, and assuming you live in or are willing to relocate to an area with a heavy tech or banking presence, you can make much, much more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
CPA licensure varies state by state. Look up your state rules to see if you need college or not.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Hello I need the original, or close to it, Actually [animal] only does that when they are in distress/pain meme

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 14, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do Gamers get so mad that the Epic Games store exists?

Some good points have been mentioned (most of which I didn't even know), but I think a lot of the internet anger is hyperbole or simply exaggerated. I'm mildly annoyed by EGS, because occasionally a game I want will be released, but then it turns out not to be on Steam or Gog. Creating a new account is :effort: so I just buy a different game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

credburn posted:

Have you looked at the accountant thread in BFC?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Hello I need the original, or close to it, Actually [animal] only does that when they are in distress/pain meme

cursed username/post combo :stonk:

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

HiroProtagonist posted:

cursed username/post combo :stonk:

I need it for a meme because robert smiths shirts have twice or even 4 times as many buttons as needed for a shirt and he waves his hands around and his hair.

very innocent

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

It evolved from a real thing that kept happening. A video of an animal doing something cute would go viral and an expert would say it wasn't cute and the animal was actually suffering.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Gobbeldygook posted:

It evolved from a real thing that kept happening. A video of an animal doing something cute would go viral and an expert would say it wasn't cute and the animal was actually suffering.

and theres a screenshot, thats what i need, or even a meme developed from it

I have googled but cant find the right words to get it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You want a real picture of a distressed/pained animal and a comment of someone pointing that out for a meme? Or you want the first time someone used that jokingly for something other than that?

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Organza Quiz posted:

Or you want the first time someone used that jokingly for something other than that?

Yes, the meme made of it.

Its a thing, i just cant find it no matter how much i search

If the original is horrible yeah dont post it, but there were joke memes made of casual and normal poo poo that were funny, just post one of those

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 14, 2020

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Actually dont.

I never want to see it in any form ever

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Where in SA can I go to ask for more youtube channels like Scaredy Cats and Brandon's Cult Movie Reviews? I'm looking for horror movie reviews/analysis and I'm not sure how to go about finding the good ones on youtube.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Memento posted:

I logged into an old Windows 10 laptop that has my Microsoft login, and logs in using a PIN. Now logging into my desktop PC, that I use a password for, my desktop has all of the colour settings and the background from that laptop. I can't find out how to change it back. The colour scheme is dreadful, either it's too bright or too dark. If I change it to Light mode, the taskbar is basically white, and if I change it to dark mode, the bookmarks bar on Chrome is always black, so I can't see half my bookmarks.

Stupid loving windows, just let me tell you what to do.

Some semi-recent update hosed up my theme and I had to wrestle with something similar to get my taskbar back to the way I liked it. It's not exactly the same situation as yours, but it might help. My taskbar used to have the dark theme and apps had the light theme, but apparently that's not a thing you can just choose from the theme menu anymore. I had to use regedit to change it back to they way it was.

I couldn't find the exact same tutorial I used, but I found this which is pretty close. What I did was navigate to the place the site describes and changed AppsUseLightTheme value to 1 and SystemUsesLightTheme to 0. You may have to create one of those rows in regedit yourself, but you'll see the results pretty much instantly if it works.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Where in SA can I go to ask for more youtube channels like Scaredy Cats and Brandon's Cult Movie Reviews? I'm looking for horror movie reviews/analysis and I'm not sure how to go about finding the good ones on youtube.

Nope

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Here's a stupid and small question: what's your deal dude :chillout:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Any geologists around? Pulled this rock from Lake Michigan. It looks very unlike any rock in my decades of pulling rocks out of Lake Michigan. I’m going with fossilized poop until I hear better.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Break it in half and take a picture of the fresh surface. Also find some hydrochloric acid and put s few drops on and tell me if it fizzes or not.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

StrixNebulosa posted:

I like Bloodbath and Beyond and Dead Head Reviews.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

I like Bloodbath and Beyond and Dead Head Reviews.

To confirm I'm at the right channels: Bloodbath and Beyond and... Dead Head Reviews? Dead Head seems to be a mostly empty channel.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pursued by bees posted:

Some semi-recent update hosed up my theme and I had to wrestle with something similar to get my taskbar back to the way I liked it. It's not exactly the same situation as yours, but it might help. My taskbar used to have the dark theme and apps had the light theme, but apparently that's not a thing you can just choose from the theme menu anymore. I had to use regedit to change it back to they way it was.

I couldn't find the exact same tutorial I used, but I found this which is pretty close. What I did was navigate to the place the site describes and changed AppsUseLightTheme value to 1 and SystemUsesLightTheme to 0. You may have to create one of those rows in regedit yourself, but you'll see the results pretty much instantly if it works.

Thanks for this, I'll give it a shot.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Any geologists around?

Yep! It looks like it's probably a conglomeration of fossilised shells, molluscs and the like. Pulling it out of Lake Michigan is unfortunately not helpful from a rock ID point of view, because it's probably a dropstone out of one of the massive glaciation events that formed those lakes, so it could have come from basically anywhere to the north, east or west of where you found it.

On this image in particular you can see where the shell has mineralised differently to the background rock, which looks like partially metamorphosed sandstone.

Those crescent-shaped lines are the remnants of shells that have worn away or broken off the mass.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

ultrafilter posted:

Have you looked at the accountant thread in BFC?

I did search for such a thread, but duh did not think to look there.

Another question, specific to these forums: How do I post a picture that is automatically small and can be clicked to be enlarged?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

code:

[timg][/timg]

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Memento posted:

Thanks for this, I'll give it a shot.

Yep! It looks like it's probably a conglomeration of fossilised shells, molluscs and the like. Pulling it out of Lake Michigan is unfortunately not helpful from a rock ID point of view, because it's probably a dropstone out of one of the massive glaciation events that formed those lakes, so it could have come from basically anywhere to the north, east or west of where you found it.

On this image in particular you can see where the shell has mineralised differently to the background rock, which looks like partially metamorphosed sandstone.

Those crescent-shaped lines are the remnants of shells that have worn away or broken off the mass.

Very cool. Thanks! I was going to try to not crack it open, but I might give it a shot tomorrow.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there a trick for cutting finger/toe nails that won't send them flying everywhere?

Where do you clip your nails? My wife does it over the toilet, I do it in the sink, who is right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a trick for cutting finger/toe nails that won't send them flying everywhere?

Where do you clip your nails? My wife does it over the toilet, I do it in the sink, who is right here.

I do it outside and don't care where they go.