Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Motronic posted:

8 more quarts ready for puttin up. This was only two days of harvest. I think I'm in trouble.

gaz👏🏼pa👏🏼cho👏🏼

Edit: also I found this:

Fresh Tomato Bloody Mary

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Motronic posted:

8 more quarts ready for puttin up. This was only two days of harvest. I think I'm in trouble.

:eyepop: so much! I'm amazed. Any recipe secrets that can elevate the rest of us?

Is it entirely species dependent for pinching off the flowers on the tip to get higher quality fruit of each cluster?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 13, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

:eyepop: so much! I'm amazed. Any recipe secrets that can elevate the rest of us?

I typically can very, very basic. This is just crushed tomatoes with a tablespoon of lemon juice per pint to bring up the acid. I've not even added salt. I figure I can do all that depending on what I use them for - and a lot of that ends up being sauce.

Is it entirely species dependent for pinching off the flowers on the tip to get higher quality fruit of each cluster?

I'm letting mine run wild still.

I'll grab a pic of a Super Sauce Hybrid (Burpee) the next time I can. They have been incredibly prolific producers and are almost all meat with very few seeds. I think this is my new favorite sauce tomato.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

lil poopendorfer posted:

Here's a cool tip I learned for anyone growing in containers that aren't draining quick enough. No need to re-pot or put in a smaller container, just pop a cloth of some kind in the bottom and it'll wick any perched water right out so you can water daily again.

Has anyone had success with herbs using this idea but with a water reservoir at the bottom? So the cloth wicks water up to the soil and you just have to refill the reservoir occasionally

I was thinking of trying it but I'd rather go straight to Kratky greens if I can, and windowsill space is limited

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Motronic posted:

I typically can very, very basic. This is just crushed tomatoes with a tablespoon of lemon juice per pint to bring up the acid. I've not even added salt. I figure I can do all that depending on what I use them for - and a lot of that ends up being sauce.

I'm letting mine run wild still.

I'll grab a pic of a Super Sauce Hybrid (Burpee) the next time I can. They have been incredibly prolific producers and are almost all meat with very few seeds. I think this is my new favorite sauce tomato.

Thanks for the tips, that sauce looks so so good. I really like the simplistic approach so I can adjust later to what I'm making.

I got scared after doing math and seeing how fast first frost is approaching so I pinched some flower buds up top, wasnt sure I was going to have the 5-6 weeks they seem to need to ripen. I cut off a significant portion of my crop but figured its better to not be greedy and just get higher quality tomatoes from those that do ripen. I guess my next step is topping them in a week or two so they have a full month to do whatever they can before.... the endless dark........ I'm not ready. 430 sunsets ahhh:smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That weave + string + method for supporting tomatoes works really well. Yesterday we had a thunder/windstorm that took down mature elm trees in my neighbourhood and flattened plants in my yard but my tomatoes don't even look like they were bothered.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I have a potentially dumb idea. I'm interested in trying to color up my small front yard in the spring. Is it possible to add tulips throughout the yard and let them come up before I start mowing without killing the tulips? If I mow them after flowering would I kill the tulips? Is this a dumb idea?

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

lil poopendorfer posted:

Dont give up!! Diatomaceous earth powder will shred them--and most other pests--to pieces. I have two pepper plants that were infested with aphids and I just covered the whole plants with the stuff and within 24 hours they went from hundreds to less than 10. Neem oil + soap didnt do poo poo. It's non toxic, cheap and easily available. Wear a mask/respirator when using it though, it'll mess your lungs up with prolonged exposure.

I'm finally starting to see some more aphids on my beans now. They were completely killing the plants for a while, then ladybugs arrived and wiped them out. Now I see a few aphids from time to time and a few ladybugs and my beans are starting to take off.

My okra plants were getting eaten by massive grasshoppers, but I seem to have scared them off lately and now I am trying to come up with novel ways to use okra because the four plants I have in the ground are not letting up. I have stewed them with tomatoes and onion, cooked them down in a couple of Indian recipes, put them in gumbo, fried them and more recently used an Ethiopian recipe. About to pickle a couple of quarts, too. A chef I work with recommended grilling them, which I've done but hadn't occurred to me this go-round.

And on preparing tomatoes, I like to halve them and squeeze the juice through a strainer to get rid of most of the seeds. Then I roast them in a low oven until they start to break down before putting them through a food mill. It ends up being a pretty concentrated sauce, which makes it a bit easier to store in my over-crowded freezer. Sometimes I'll throw a little onion into the roasting pan, but for the most part I prefer to add seasoning on the back end.

rojay fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 14, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Earth posted:

I have a potentially dumb idea. I'm interested in trying to color up my small front yard in the spring. Is it possible to add tulips throughout the yard and let them come up before I start mowing without killing the tulips? If I mow them after flowering would I kill the tulips? Is this a dumb idea?

I've seen that done with earlier bulbs, like crocuses

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Yeah, the tulips I had wouldn’t be done before I needed to mow, and the grass never did a good job of growing over it after. I would do this along the borders and just buy 5-10% more bulbs than you think you need.

Probably easier to just replace all the grass with flowers and other plants though. :D

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Earth posted:

This is called naturalizing and it’s awesome and I’ve done it. You’re going to have a little more luck with something that blooms earlier like crocus or blue squill.

I’ve had lots of luck with this particular mix. But even those bulk bags of crocus or blue squill will work just fine.

One thing I will say is that it tends to look better you you bunch the bulbs together rather than scattering them sparsely.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Earth posted:

As others said, this is totally a crocus thing. One word of caution: if you have deer they WILL dig them up and eat them over the winter.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Solkanar512 posted:

This is called naturalizing and it’s awesome and I’ve done it. You’re going to have a little more luck with something that blooms earlier like crocus or blue squill.

I’ve had lots of luck with this particular mix. But even those bulk bags of crocus or blue squill will work just fine.

One thing I will say is that it tends to look better you you bunch the bulbs together rather than scattering them sparsely.

Motronic posted:

As others said, this is totally a crocus thing. One word of caution: if you have deer they WILL dig them up and eat them over the winter.

Thank you three for the suggestion. No deer to worry about as I live right in the downtown area.

Jhet posted:

Yeah, the tulips I had wouldn’t be done before I needed to mow, and the grass never did a good job of growing over it after. I would do this along the borders and just buy 5-10% more bulbs than you think you need.

Probably easier to just replace all the grass with flowers and other plants though. :D

I would love to replace everything with flowers and other plants, but as it's my first year in the house it will be a few years before I can achieve that. There's a few houses around that have a no lawn set up. I am going to keep some lawn and mostly garden in raised beds as I like a clean look, but I do hope to get the grass to just walkways.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Earth posted:

I would love to replace everything with flowers and other plants, but as it's my first year in the house it will be a few years before I can achieve that.

Go slow.....you have time. Figure out what works where you are for mutiseason. In a lot places its just not that easy because of native weeds.

Like I've told so many people before.......reach out to your count ag extension office. They known exactly the stuff that will work for you.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Earth posted:

Thank you three for the suggestion. No deer to worry about as I live right in the downtown area.

I would love to replace everything with flowers and other plants, but as it's my first year in the house it will be a few years before I can achieve that. There's a few houses around that have a no lawn set up. I am going to keep some lawn and mostly garden in raised beds as I like a clean look, but I do hope to get the grass to just walkways.

Beyond just tulips, I recently bought some of these Dutch Garden bulb collections which are curated to have something blooming all year round:

They ship when they’re ready to plant, which is great as I’m redoing my front garden beds. I’m also rebuilding the other side and planning on using retaining wall blocks to create a terrace for planting, which depending on your layout might work too.

Now to figure out if I want to dig 300 individual holes or just skim off a few inches of mulch and soil, arrange everything, and cover.

Also, gently caress rose bushes. I can’t bring myself to entirely rip out the one from the PO, but drat if that thing hasn’t drawn blood every time I look at it wrong.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Now to figure out if I want to dig 300 individual holes or just skim off a few inches of mulch and soil, arrange everything, and cover.

Skimming and covering is a good strategy for bulbs, but if you're someone who likes power tools, may I introduce you to the bulb auger? Also called a plant auger, it's a giant drill bit that you can put in a regular cordless drill to make planting holes. A landscaper friend introduced me and at $25+ it's not worth it for the dozen bulbs I plant, but for 300 bulbs I definitely would want one.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
June and July were so awesome and wet and I never had to water anything. Now my area has been having a long stretch of nearly cloudless skies and low to mid 90s weather. This is the first time I'm really struggling to keep my full sun potted plants going. I've tried morning watering, I've tried evening watering. At this point I'm having the most success with a combination of both. This year even things that I rarely had to water in years past are completely wilted by the end of the day.

On the bright side despite all of the struggles in wilting and dryness things are still surviving and for the most part disease-free.

guri fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 15, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Do you have anything on the surface to keep the soil there cool from evaporation or is it so hot it doesnt matter?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

vonnegutt posted:

Skimming and covering is a good strategy for bulbs, but if you're someone who likes power tools, may I introduce you to the bulb auger? Also called a plant auger, it's a giant drill bit that you can put in a regular cordless drill to make planting holes. A landscaper friend introduced me and at $25+ it's not worth it for the dozen bulbs I plant, but for 300 bulbs I definitely would want one.

For a few hundred bulbs, it would be easier still to dig trenches. I can dig a trench, throw in some bulb fertilizer, throw in 400 bulbs and cover it back up to water in maybe 45 minutes if I don’t gently caress around too much.

But if you’re planting larger, single bulbs like alliums, an auger is awesome.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
This is totally worth a double post.

My first zinnia!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

My first zinnia!

:wow: Absolutely gorgeous

guri
Jun 14, 2001

Do you have anything on the surface to keep the soil there cool from evaporation or is it so hot it doesnt matter?
Yeah I have a good layer of mulch which is probably what is keeping things alive.

The rest of the country is seeing the longest monsoon season on record and terribly flooding but it's just hot here. Hopefully it lets up soon.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

lil poopendorfer posted:

Dont give up!! Diatomaceous earth powder will shred them--and most other pests--to pieces. I have two pepper plants that were infested with aphids and I just covered the whole plants with the stuff and within 24 hours they went from hundreds to less than 10. Neem oil + soap didnt do poo poo. It's non toxic, cheap and easily available. Wear a mask/respirator when using it though, it'll mess your lungs up with prolonged exposure.

I'll try this next, I think it might be getting too late considering the amount of visible webbing the evil little fuckers are churning out. How did you apply the DE? A large shaker?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Jan posted:

I'll try this next, I think it might be getting too late considering the amount of visible webbing the evil little fuckers are churning out. How did you apply the DE? A large shaker?

I just used a scooper and kind of threw it on the affected plants, targeting the aphids wherever I could. It's inert chemically so it wont bother your plants, but it's bad for your lungs so wear a mask when handling it.

The stuff that's sold for pests comes with a nozzle usually, just puff it on as much of the plant as you can daily until the pests are gone. Shouldnt take much though

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jan posted:

How did you apply the DE? A large shaker?

Put it in an old gym sock. Tap the side of it over where you want to apply.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
My avocado seeds I was sprouting in water have gone disgusting :(

One of them completely cracked in half and was filled with these gnarly little bumps that have the texture of hard water mineral deposits. Both the tops are brown and look sun-damaged. Where I stuck the toothpicks in seem to be infected little wounds too. I changed the water several times a week and washed out the cups, but perhaps it wasn't enough since there appeared to be a lot of biofilm. I think I shouldn't have put them outside in full sun (zone 10) but they seemed to be making little progress sitting in my north-facing window, the only windowsill I have. It had already been 8-10 weeks since I had started the first one, and no sprout, so I got impatient and put them outside. I guess next time I'll try just leaving them in the window and changing the water every single day for as long as it takes????

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The white moths of doom have descended on my garden and rained hell on many of my cruciferous vegetables, and even some plants near them. So far the red cabbage is mostly unscathed, and the actual sprouts on my brussels sprouts are alive, but some of my kale has been chewed down to the stem.

Anyway i know this has been discussed in the last couple of pages but I'd appreciate reading it again in context - what are some good solutions to this? I've just gone through and picked the catterpillers off as best I can, but I'd love to hear some prophylactic tips for next year.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I fuggin love bees. Sunflowers too!

Speaking of, I have two different kind: one with a single head and multiple flowers directly on the stalk below and mammoth with multiple heads. I'd like to collect the seeds but only the largest head is ripe enough on both, will the other flowers finish blooming if I trim the main now or do I wait and risk it

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 17, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

vonnegutt posted:

Dude, don’t even get me started on augers right now... just had to dig out a tow behind auger by hand this morning after getting it stuck last night -_-

[timghttps://i.imgur.com/kI9Yx1m.jpg[/timg]

That being said, I did pick up this guy recently for planting bulbs. Worst case it might do well for pokeweed and dandelion

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We grow spinach, pumpkin cherries, and lots of basil in our hot desert climate. I want to grow potatoes; I have a sweet potato plant in a pot but it just makes more and more leafy vines. What the heck

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

We grow spinach, pumpkin cherries, and lots of basil in our hot desert climate. I want to grow potatoes; I have a sweet potato plant in a pot but it just makes more and more leafy vines. What the heck

I live in zone 6 and have had to plant them early in the season to get any potatoes out of them. Sounds like you live in the zone where they are perennials. Maybe they take longer to grow in that climate?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jan posted:

Besides the pure logistics of getting the powder distributed you should make sure that you are doing so when it's dry. Moisture makes DE ineffective.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Wallet posted:

Besides the pure logistics of getting the powder distributed you should make sure that you are doing so when it's dry. Moisture makes DE ineffective.

Counterpoint: you can put some powder in a spray bottle and spray it all over. It'll dry with DE residue. :madmax:

Downside: the unsightly white film it leaves behind wont come off with watering. Not bad for the plant but not as nice to look at

Next year I think I'm just gonna keep a small layer of DE rocks (Oil Dry at NAPA, part no 8822) at the base of all my plants to keep anything from crawling up.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Wallet posted:

What strange weather we've been having in the San Francisco Bay Area. First a heat wave, then a thunderstorm in august, and now... snow!?

I dunno if it'll help at this stage, the bi-weekly neem oil was barely slowing down their progression and the heat wave just made them go into overdrive, so I ended up dusting a lot of webs. This is after an overnight rainstorm should've shredded most of them:

:negative:

lil poopendorfer posted:

Counterpoint: you can put some powder in a spray bottle and spray it all over. It'll dry with DE residue. :madmax:

Downside: the unsightly white film it leaves behind wont come off with watering. Not bad for the plant but not as nice to look at

Yeah, I know what you mean, after I was done dusting I sat down to look at my garden a little and felt a bit sad. One of the things I enjoyed about these plants, even more than the tomatoes, is just getting to sit down as the evening cools down and enjoy the fruit of my labour, my little island of nature in the middle of the city. If this helps the plants survive, good, but it also doesn't feel quite as satisfying, I suppose.

lil poopendorfer posted:

Next year I think I'm just gonna keep a small layer of DE rocks (Oil Dry at NAPA, part no 8822) at the base of all my plants to keep anything from crawling up.

I wonder if that'd do much in my case. Spider mites apparently get around by flying around on little web kites, so they'd eventually find their way up to this third floor balcony regardless. And even if I try and insulate my pots, I've noticed they build a bunch of webbing in the corners of the balcony railing, next to the walls... It really is a full scale infestation in the summer.

I get that all organisms are part of the food chain and that spider mites serve as food to other, important insects, but drat if I wouldn't furiously mash a hypothetical button that magically makes their entire taxonomic family vanish from existence.

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 17, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Next year will be the year I actually follow the calendar I make preseason :smith: even late taking off the top flower sets. Cant decide if I should top the plants now as well or give them another week as originally planned

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

CommonShore posted:

The white moths of doom have descended on my garden and rained hell on many of my cruciferous vegetables, and even some plants near them. So far the red cabbage is mostly unscathed, and the actual sprouts on my brussels sprouts are alive, but some of my kale has been chewed down to the stem.

Anyway i know this has been discussed in the last couple of pages but I'd appreciate reading it again in context - what are some good solutions to this? I've just gone through and picked the catterpillers off as best I can, but I'd love to hear some prophylactic tips for next year.

There is a spray of a bacteria (Bt) that you can use. I believe it constipates or otherwise makes eating difficult for cabbage worms, so they just starve and die. Might be conflating that with iron phosphate and slugs, though.

I hate garden pests. I once respected and valued all life, but now anything that poses a threat to my kale gets fuckin' mushed.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
BT makes caterpillar insides explode. It’s a bacteria and while I like butterflies and the like, I had to use it on my hops last year or not have any because of Question Mark butterfly infestation from a neighborhood Elm tree. I sprayed it down twice, but the second time wasn’t necessary really. They were curling up within 10 minutes of the first application.

There are other strains for other bugs and are usually not going to affect bees and pollinators. There’s not a Bt for aphids, mites, or thrips or no one would really complain of them for long.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

vonnegutt posted:

Dude, don’t even talk to me about augers right now -_-

Had to hand dig out a tow behind auger over the weekend, and snapped a hazard fraught pipe wrench when misusing it with a cheater bar

But I did buy this thing since I figure it might also work well for weeding dandelions and pokeberry.

Solkanar512 posted:

For a few hundred bulbs, it would be easier still to dig trenches. I can dig a trench, throw in some bulb fertilizer, throw in 400 bulbs and cover it back up to water in maybe 45 minutes if I don’t gently caress around too much.

But if you’re planting larger, single bulbs like alliums, an auger is awesome.

That’s a great idea! I’ll skim back the mulch and just trench them in with a hoe. Which, speaking of... how much mulch should I keep over bulbs?

Solkanar512 posted:

My first zinnia!

Oh whoah, neat! I love Zinnias, I’d never seen these before... Adding this to my list, along with pink sky petunias :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Had to hand dig out a tow behind auger over the weekend, and snapped a hazard fraught pipe wrench when misusing it with a cheater bar

Oh that's just awful. What happened? Does that thing not have reverse? (I totally would have swapped the hydraulics around if I couldn't get it out and it didn't have it)