Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm going to be sad when kishibe gets killed in one hit. but maybe makima does have good intentions toward humanity even after what we've seen. that just may mean a benevolent dictatorship, however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm curious what Makima's original plan was here. She quite obviously expected Denji to ask for sex, yet she invited Power over with a birthday cake? Did she intend to go "hey lemme kill power real quick then we can bone" or something? It's also interesting that she specifically ordered Denji to open the door rather than open it herself. All she did was a finger gun, it's not like she needed both hands. My best guess for that is to really load him up with guilt so he becomes more reliant on her. Although I guess we'll need to see what happens next chapter to have a better guess.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

I honestly dont know how much more of this I can take. Theres no amount of comeuppance that Makima can face that will make up for this and sending Aki-47 after Denji

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What a weird chapter. I feel like she's dead, but there's something really jarring about how he starts to fall asleep and then Makima executes Power with an ability we've not seen her use on panel while Denji is confused about cake that wasn't referenced when he was last with Power. Wasn't he supposed to be bringing her something? Especially given how much emphasis there was on Aki experiencing something that was a distortion of the real world. Dunno. Trippy.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm curious what Makima's original plan was here. She quite obviously expected Denji to ask for sex, yet she invited Power over with a birthday cake? Did she intend to go "hey lemme kill power real quick then we can bone" or something? It's also interesting that she specifically ordered Denji to open the door rather than open it herself. All she did was a finger gun, it's not like she needed both hands. My best guess for that is to really load him up with guilt so he becomes more reliant on her. Although I guess we'll need to see what happens next chapter to have a better guess.
I think she can just have her ring the doorbell whenever she wants, assuming this is all real. Last we saw Power she was waiting at their apartment for Denji to come back with a rice ball. So suddenly she's there on command with cake.

Power doesn't look all there in the panel. And Denji's hands are cold again.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i never understand why people say they didn't like the ending of fire punch, i loved the hell out if it though i could see if you were reading it weekly it would feel paced weird maybe

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I think it's a basic "Oh, you're sure just letting other people make your decisions will work out perfectly? Here! Not thinking for yourself lead DIRECTLY to the EASILY AVOIDABLE murder of your partner!" message. It's not about killing Power. It's about the effect killing Power has on Denji.

It's hard to get more reliant than "I will not make a single choice on my own for the rest of my life". But if Denji REFUSING to make choices leads to consequences even worse than even his bad choices, then it forces him to grow up a little more. In the most painful way possible.

As for the cake, it's possible it was also part of a general "Make Denji feel better" plan, like the movies, or paying for drinks.

Makima can switch from "Nice boss" to "Will kill your entire family" on a dime. Best to have things ready for whichever way the night goes.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the gun devil pulled a real genocide and killed aki not too long ago and makima STILL seems more hosed up than him, this manga is insane

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

For some reason, the Bill Hicks bit about Reginald Denny comes to mind...

At this rate, Reginald Denji will be afraid to ever open another door again :/

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Is this manga ending soon?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well it's running out of loving characters at this rate so I'm assuming.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thoren posted:

Is this manga ending soon?

Probably not.

Jump tends to announce the conclusion of a popular series is coming months in advance, and given the number of series that have ended lately, they're unlikely to let a popular and growing series go without at least asking if there's room to continue it.

(Also, there's that rumor circulating that the Gun Devil arc was only the first of three big turning points in the manga, but I can't find the original source, so... not strong evidence either way.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guys

I want off the ride now
Can I get off

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

there are whole other countries full of devil hunters to kill off before this is done.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

We haven't even hit the tournament arc yet, it's still a long way before it jumps the beam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nighthand posted:

We haven't even hit the tournament arc yet, it's still a long way before it jumps the beam.

Forgetting the greatest tournament arc in Jump's history.

For shame.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Guys

I want off the ride now
Can I get off

Ask Makima

[quote="“chiasaur11”" post="“507471625”"]
Forgetting the greatest tournament arc in Jump’s history.

For shame.
[/quote]

Good times, good times. :unsmith:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I still can't believe they killed Power

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
:tviv:

this train ain't got no brakes

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Viz

Mangaplus

Even worse the second time. Aki...that future really was inescapable huh.

Does this mean the Gun Devil is under Makima control now or is this something she did before?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

For whatever reason there's so many little weird things around this chapter that i keep grasping at the idea it could be some sort of fakout.

The fact that it doesn't quite match what the Future Devil said (maybe)
Denji seemingly knowing about the cake (birthdays=cake though, so not exactly out of the realm of his train of thought)
How nervous Power seemed as she was standing there (but i think she's always nervous around Makima)
Some other stuff lately i can't quite articulate.

Unfortunately, even adding up all this stuff (if it's even stuff) doesn't actually have to equal "she's actually alive! it was just a dream/simaculum/clone" and in fact, is extremely unlikely to.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

a kitten posted:

For whatever reason there's so many little weird things around this chapter that i keep grasping at the idea it could be some sort of fakout.

The fact that it doesn't quite match what the Future Devil said (maybe)
Denji seemingly knowing about the cake (birthdays=cake though, so not exactly out of the realm of his train of thought)
How nervous Power seemed as she was standing there (but i think she's always nervous around Makima)
Some other stuff lately i can't quite articulate.

Unfortunately, even adding up all this stuff (if it's even stuff) doesn't actually have to equal "she's actually alive! it was just a dream/simaculum/clone" and in fact, is extremely unlikely to.

If Denji wakes up and it was all a dream, then we have to go through Power and possibly Aki's deaths again

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
THIS SUCKS! I HATE THE FUTURE! I feel this even more with every new chapter

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I'm not sure if I'd feel better if this was all undone tbh, because then it would feel like death is something casually tossed around for shock value instead of how it has always been very final and blunt up to this point.

Even if Denji pulls Power back from Hell or whatever that's just gonna be a different character, and would ultimately just be Denji trying to make her be who she was before she died.

Power is dead and given how her and Aki were the only elements of the story Denji put before Makima, it feels like this was constructed as a win-win situation for Makima. Denji doesn't open the door? He becomes more independent which is what she wants, so win there. Denji opens the door? She now has a dog completely unmoored from any semblance of happiness besides her control, so win.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Chainsaw Man: Never open doors

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Spiderdrake posted:

Power doesn't look all there in the panel.

No kiddin’. :haw:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

How would Denji even get to Hell?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
What would happen if Denji listened to his chainsaw heart and didn’t keep opening these doors?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am waiting for Door Devil.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Apocron posted:

What would happen if Denji listened to his chainsaw heart and didn’t keep opening these doors?

Power would probably still be alive, for one thing.

Beyond that... well, I suppose Makima would say something about Denji clearly not wanting to be her dog if he was questioning orders like that. Best case, she'd ask what he wanted instead, then Power could come in bringing cake, and everyone would have a nice evening. Worst case, well, there's a lot of room for worst cases.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Yeah, I think I’m taking a long break from this, that one really bummed me out more than I thought it would.

Well written, I’m just not in the place for multiple gut punches atm.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I'm glad Denji and Makima finally got to bang :v:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I think the theory that Makima is trying to teach Denji to think for himself is accurate. I don’t have any clue what the endgame is for that, though. Probably something to do with the back and forth between Angel and Aki about the last noise devils hear before they die.

This chapter really gave me that end of Cowboy Bebop gut punch all over again. I love how this manga makes me feel. I also hate it. But I love that I hate it. Chainsaw Man remains a land of contrasts.

Archenteron posted:

lol. drat

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Denji wasn't the one who got banged

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
When are we going to get a spinoff manga about the coolest character, The Future Devil?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

When are we going to get a spinoff manga about the coolest character, The Future Devil?

Do you think the future devil ever secretly reminisces about all the sweet futures he's given. What he did to aki has got to be in his top 10. That'd be against everything he stands for since he'd be thinking about the past instead of a potentially cooler future

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Happy birthday Denji! :toot:

https://twitter.com/4gu07se/status/1297659298441396224?s=09
🎉🎉

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

irrelevant to the stuff that just happened, but: didn't Violence die in Hell?

That might prove to be a problem. (Also Beam, but "violence" is a bigger deal fear wise. Possibly the biggest?)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Dzhay posted:

irrelevant to the stuff that just happened, but: didn't Violence die in Hell?

That might prove to be a problem. (Also Beam, but "violence" is a bigger deal fear wise. Possibly the biggest?)

Death's probably the biggest.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

McTimmy posted:

Death's probably the biggest.

We haven't seen the Death Devil yet, correct?

It's been established there are "primal" fears, of which Darkness is one. I imagine Death has to be one too. I wonder what the rest are? Could probably make an argument that Control Devil is up there, since "Loss of Autonomy" is listed as one of the 5 basic fears of psychology - the others being extinction (death), mutilation, separation, and ego-death (humilation, shame, loss of ability to be loved, etc). I could also see God Devil being a primal fear as well, as "fear of god" is definitely a major thing in humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
What do you think is the least powerful devil?