Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

lil poopendorfer posted:

You can't say what makes it different, because there isn't anything. You're growing trees in pots, period.

Are you trolling in fuckin DIY lol. like, you can’t be serious that bonsai is just putting a plant in a pot like anything else. I’d reread comboomers post bc I think he put it well:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Personally, I don’t think the bonsai thread should be merged. If anything, the mood is different enough, and if the complaint is that bonsai thread moves too slowly then every bonsai post/question/picture would get buried by unrelated posts.

Plus a lot of bonsai “rules” are kind of antithetical to good conventional horticulture, and vice versa. I don’t really want to have to wade through a bunch of well-meaning “your pot is too small” or “why did you rough up that sapling so much?”

It’s a good and interesting niche thread that should remain so. Traditional potted plants or houseplants would be a weird interruption; somebody’s pothos looking like poo poo doesn’t have much correlation in bonsai land and shouldn’t be interrupting their topic for advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think my final cucumber plant, the best one, the one that was growing 14” cucumbers out of nowehere, perfectly sweet and juicy, may have finally developed bacterial wilt

:911:

You did a good job holding out as long as you did, soldier

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is this thread or the other thread the one for talking about planting fruit trees and shrubs

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m working on an OP for a more outdoors focused tree/wild plant/edible plant appreciation/discussion thread for The Great Outdoors if nobody else makes one.

Sweet. I keep forgetting to search for a foraging thread here. Most I've found online end up being 90% "hey what is this plant/mushroom can I eat it?" and 10% responses like, "yes, once."

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

rojay posted:

Sweet. I keep forgetting to search for a foraging thread here. Most I've found online end up being 90% "hey what is this plant/mushroom can I eat it?" and 10% responses like, "yes, once."

I made the thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938360

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Merge all of DIY into the plants thread?

:yeshaha:

I like the idea of delineating house plants and outdoor gardening threads. I kinda fell behind on the cellulosers thread, didn’t feel as clear as it may have been back as a houseplants thread here in DIY. I’ll still follow both because growing poo poo is fun and I want learn and see the cool stuff everyone else is doing :)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CommonShore posted:

Is this thread or the other thread the one for talking about planting fruit trees and shrubs

Eh. This is kind of vegetable gardening, while the other us kind of ornamentals. In other words,

:justpost:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Eh. This is kind of vegetable gardening, while the other us kind of ornamentals. In other words,

:justpost:

My tomatoes may as well have been ornamental this year

:negative:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanks for giving it your best shot, guys! :3:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

Haha. I picked a fully ripe habanero that size yesterday. It was delicious, but I wish it had been 4x larger.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm not even going to be an rear end in a top hat, I showed the picture to my wife and she immediately reminded me of my first year in this new garden.
Pretty sure I had a dime sized tomato that my oldest daughter immediately devoured. That was it.

Read books, check with your local ag extension, put good stuff into your dirt, shepherd the earth.

It's an infuriating hobby. When it works though, when you get that perfect sun warm tomato, when you get string beans better than your Grandma ever grew, it's loving worth it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hexigrammus posted:

What zone are you in? I've been wondering about growing these but haven't got around to researching them yet.

I think I mentioned previously about only growing Golden Pearls, Wonderberries, and other small solanums in pots over concrete. Just had to deal with another flush springing up in the newly planted Walla Walla onion bed. I'm losing count of how many flushes I've had to weed out so far.

They need to taste better to put up with this poo poo.

I like Physalis peruviana a lot and it makes me want to try more of the sweet solanums, but the more I read about them, the more it seems like physalis is the superior genus.

Maybe I’ll dip into the jaltomatas. They’re supposed to be physalis‐like.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

mischief posted:

I'm not even going to be an rear end in a top hat, I showed the picture to my wife and she immediately reminded me of my first year in this new garden.
Pretty sure I had a dime sized tomato that my oldest daughter immediately devoured. That was it.

Read books, check with your local ag extension, put good stuff into your dirt, shepherd the earth.

It's an infuriating hobby. When it works though, when you get that perfect sun warm tomato, when you get string beans better than your Grandma ever grew, it's loving worth it.

I went to the market today and bought the equivalent of my entire harvest this year to date for less than £5. gently caress these tomotos, potatoes and chilis had better come good.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

mischief posted:

My one adopted tomato plant this year has given me two split tomatoes so far, with maybe four more approaching red and a couple more still green - buuut it's basically September and I live in NY so I don't know how many of them will make it. But even if the whole thing keeled over and died right now, I'd still be so proud of it.

I'm thinking of getting a set of these Rootrainer things for starting tomatoes next year, apparently the depth makes them root more firmly once transplanted - anyone know if this is legit?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

With tomatos the whole plant is root, when you transplant you can bury it all the way up to the first set of leaves (or beyond).

I'm definitely thinking about greenhouses, cold frames and finding a decent manure source for next year. The growing season where I am is not forgiving on lazy People like me who don't fleece their plants.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Probably a waste for tomatoes. Keep in mind with tomato starts that you can bury them up to the last set of leaves and the whole plant will set roots.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Cool! I've never actually started tomatoes from seed, that's good info.

Does it work with other nightshades? I'm planning on peppers and eggplants as well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

showbiz_liz posted:

Cool! I've never actually started tomatoes from seed, that's good info.

Does it work with other nightshades? I'm planning on peppers and eggplants as well.

If it’s more expensive than the regular 3.5” starter pots, I wouldn’t bother. You can “train” the roots by watering from below and just watering properly. That’s just a deeper starter pot. I’m not sure those channels will actually do anything that just the outside of the pot would do.

The other thing to consider is how those will sit in a tray while you’re starting the seeds. There are a lot of gimmicks out there for gardening, and it can be difficult to balance what works with your space with what looks cool.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've always started my tomatoes in cell packs without issue. Then I plow, disc, and rototill the garden and plant them up to the leaves like mentioned and have always had great results.

Who else has their sweetcorn coming in? I almost lost most of my first patch to wildlife but a good electric fence took care of that.

Speaking of animal control I have a second patch of corn too far from the house to reach with an extension cord, does anyone have any recommendation on a solar fence charger or system to use?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok if :justpost: what are the common mistakes when planting fruit trees and/or grape vines, aside from poor climate matching?

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Not planting in full sun, planting in poorly drained soil, not taking preventive measures against pests.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Grapes???????????

Probably another 2-4 weeks till harvest!

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Coldpie, what zone are you? My grapes were ready months ago. Or I pulled them early. Zone 6 for me.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Months ago? A month ago our grapes were just barely starting veraison, and most of the warm weather growers I see on Instagram are just beginning harvest now. I think you may have harvested "early" relative to most locations, but it depends on the variety and your tastes, of course. We're in zone 4, up here in the Twin Cities, so we harvest late. We're growing cold hardy grapes developed by the University of Minnesota, and their literature says late September, early October harvest. The grapes are definitely still pretty tart. This is the first year I've let them put out fruit, so we're still feeling things out :)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Earth posted:

Coldpie, what zone are you? My grapes were ready months ago. Or I pulled them early. Zone 6 for me.

Mine are just getting there as well in a very old established plant

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I’m sorry to bug you guys again with a newbie question, but my Google fu is failing me on this one. My AeroGarden mint is finally coming in, and some of the leaves have these pale, wrinkled spots in the middle of the leaves. I looked closer and under but I don’t see any bugs or other spots. Something to worry about? It’s just a few of the leaves, not the whole plant.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
^^I ask a lot of new questions too they're totally fine and the people who know like to help :) :justpost:

If anyone can't find nasturtium seeds next year holla. I asked a friend to pick me up a pack with 8 flowers (I meant to break apart and plant in pots) and they got me 8 packs and I put them in garden beds instead and now I think I'm going to collect a thousand seeds?? It was shocking to see how much space they are willing to take up. This is two plants lazily collected worth. Between this, my poppy flowers and winged gourds I'll never run out of seeds of things I dont need but I fuggin love hoarding seeds. Does anyone here trade seeds?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

^^I ask a lot of new questions too they're totally fine and the people who know like to help :) :justpost:

If anyone can't find nasturtium seeds next year holla. I asked a friend to pick me up a pack with 8 flowers (I meant to break apart and plant in pots) and they got me 8 packs and I put them in garden beds instead and now I think I'm going to collect a thousand seeds?? It was shocking to see how much space they are willing to take up. This is two plants lazily collected worth. Between this, my poppy flowers and winged gourds I'll never run out of seeds of things I dont need but I fuggin love hoarding seeds. Does anyone here trade seeds?

I'd trade some seeds with you. Where abouts are you located? I'm on Vancouver Island. You can grow nasturtium as micro greens, if you have a big surplus of seeds too! I've got a few big ziplocs I'm filling of mixed pansies, mixed poppies, and mixed cosmos. I'd also be up for trading jade starters or leaves, african violet cuttings, monstera cuttings, or spider plants (if for some reason, you don't already have 8000 of the prolific things)

Hexi, as another anecdote: those golden pearls will severely outcompete cherry tomatoes. I planted one of each in a large raised planter, and the golden pearls choked the tomato until I chopped the golden pearl bush down. Totally stunted the tomato, compared to one that got its own, much smaller, pot.
Next year, they are each going in their own pot, on the lawn. If they want to try competing with clover, yarrow, grass, and dandelions, let's see what we get.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
If I didn’t think it would be near impossible to get you the monstera cuttings right now, I’d give you half a dozen I need to trim right now. But Canada is smart and the border is closed going south right now and I don’t think I can send them across the border. I may try to just take cuttings and plant them outside and leave them to die in the winter next year too. I think we might get too much rain, but it might be fine too.

We also just took 3 cuttings of some spider plants with a cool reddish hue on the leaves that are rooting and are going to get a free sign slapped on them and put outside in another week or two. So Seattle area, say something before I just give them to neighbors.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
Let's definitely do a seed exchange later in the year! I also have a bunch of cold hardy sedums I'd love to trade with other (american) northerners. Also down to send bare roots once it cools down. Should we start some sort of spreadsheet? I don't know how to do such things but I have a lot of things to contribute!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'd love to participate too. I have lots of extra seeds I know I won't be able to use.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Well my okra is officially too tall to harvest now (not that I have been anyway). If I top it will it branch out lower down or does it just grow from the main growing tip on the stalk?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Well my okra is officially too tall to harvest now (not that I have been anyway). If I top it will it branch out lower down or does it just grow from the main growing tip on the stalk?

So jealous. Every time I've tried to grow okra they've been demotivationally runtish, probably because the evenings are too cool.

Anyway, yeah. Okra naturally wants to get tall and leggy, but if you prune it it'll bush out. Normally when you're doing this you'd start when the plant was small, stake the main stem, and aggressively prune as it starts sending out shoots, but you could probably get away with topping it after it's already got tall.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Considering how quickly okra goes from "excellent" to "inedible", unless you're planning on harvesting it for seed, you have nothing to lose by cutting the tops off, harvesting the okra at the top, and waiting to see how it responds.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

poeticoddity posted:

Considering how quickly okra goes from "excellent" to "inedible", unless you're planning on harvesting it for seed, you have nothing to lose by cutting the tops off, harvesting the okra at the top, and waiting to see how it responds.

Yeah this is my first time growing it since I was a kid and I forgot you have to pick it every. loving. day. It's actually really good raw when it's very small. This is the first day without rain in about 2 weeks so, giant loving okra. I'm gonna chop it and see what happens-it's about time to plant fall/winter stuff there anyway.

SubG posted:

So jealous. Every time I've tried to grow okra they've been demotivationally runtish, probably because the evenings are too cool.

Anyway, yeah. Okra naturally wants to get tall and leggy, but if you prune it it'll bush out. Normally when you're doing this you'd start when the plant was small, stake the main stem, and aggressively prune as it starts sending out shoots, but you could probably get away with topping it after it's already got tall.
I don't think it's gotten below 75 here in like 2 months, lol. And the dewpoint is still upper 70s. I'd gladly give up growing okra. My brother in Connecticut tried some a few years ago and he said they did get a very little bit of okra before frost. It's really pretty amazing how quickly it grows when conditions are right and how slowly when they aren't. I planted in mid march and they did nothing for basically 2 months (I thought I was going to lose them and have to replant) and then in the past 3 months when it got really hot and wet they've grown 8'. They seem to be as indestructible as eggplants. Thanks for the tips about pruning early-I'll do that next year. I'm thinking about trying some of the red kind next year and planting them up front with the sunflowers to still have something tall when the sunflowers are done. I need to succession plant the sunflowers too. Cosmos can't handle the heat and next year I'm just going full zinnia in front of the sunflowers.

I weeded a bit and chopped down my sad brown sunflowers this evening and am starting to get excited about the garden again for fall. Carrot and greens and broccoli planting time soon. I may try some artichokes and cardoons too-anyone have experience with them? Apparently the thing to do here is plant now and harvest next spring?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't think it's gotten below 75 here in like 2 months, lol. And the dewpoint is still upper 70s. I'd gladly give up growing okra. My brother in Connecticut tried some a few years ago and he said they did get a very little bit of okra before frost. It's really pretty amazing how quickly it grows when conditions are right and how slowly when they aren't. I planted in mid march and they did nothing for basically 2 months (I thought I was going to lose them and have to replant) and then in the past 3 months when it got really hot and wet they've grown 8'. They seem to be as indestructible as eggplants. Thanks for the tips about pruning early-I'll do that next year. I'm thinking about trying some of the red kind next year and planting them up front with the sunflowers to still have something tall when the sunflowers are done. I need to succession plant the sunflowers too. Cosmos can't handle the heat and next year I'm just going full zinnia in front of the sunflowers.
The problem I have is that there's a tiny window at the end of summer when the days start getting shorter but it's still warm at night, and that's what okra really want for productivity. The heat makes the plants grow, but flowering and fruit set are triggered by day length. The magic number for peak productivity is usually given as 11 hours, although there's a shitload of different okra cultivars and probably a lot of variability among them. With dwarf varieties (which are really ones that reach maturity faster) I can sometimes wedge 'em in during a late spring/early summer planting where they'll get enough heat to grow well and produce right at the end of summer when the days first start getting shorter, before night temperatures drop enough they get temperamental and stop producing.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Is there anything I can do for this raspberry bush? I planted two starts at the end of April, they did well through the spring but collapsed and got roasted through the summer. They've stopped getting worse but I'm doubtful that they will recover enough to grow berries next year. I underestimated the space the raspberries would need when I started the garden. I have some fall/winter stuff I could plant in that space if the raspberries are never going to be happy...

A bunch of my neighbors have happy bushes in full sun, so I didn't expect them to get so fried.

ploots fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 2, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Electoral Surgery posted:

Is there anything I can do for this raspberry bush? I planted two starts at the end of April, they did well through the spring but collapsed and got roasted through the summer. They've stopped getting worse but I'm doubtful that they will recover enough to grow berries next year. I underestimated the space the raspberries would need when I started the garden. I have some fall/winter stuff I could plant in that space if the raspberries are never going to be happy...

A bunch of my neighbors have happy bushes in full sun, so I didn't expect them to get so fried.

loving water them. We've got a bunch more weeks of pre-fall temps and bright days. As long as they're alive they'll try to grow and do plant poo poo. You can probably nurse them through a seasonal dormancy by watering and fertilizing them very stringently now (maybe next time do shade cloth/shade boxes if you're not gonna water the bejeezus out of them? (maybe do irrigation, if you're into that)) and pampering them through the incoming seasonal transitions. Get them ready to do a lot of growth in 2021, but yeah don't be surprised if they aren't ready to grow berries for a year or two.

Or replace them with something else you want, IDK. You are their god and master.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My luffa gourd is finally starting to grow gourds instead of just pretty flowers.
There's about 10 of them now with more flowers growing everyday.
I might never have to buy a sponge ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guri
Jun 14, 2001

guri posted:

Anyone recognize what these peppers might be? Besides my usual birdseyes I planted lesya sweet peppers and sugar rush cream. Labels got misplaced and one of the latter two didn't make it while the other all came up looking like this which doesn't look at all like either. Tiny perfectly circular peppers that are growing upward. The only thing I can think of is I ended up with seeds for aji charapita or some ornamental variety. Hoping it ends up being the former.

These peppers are finally starting to change color; they all went from green right into bright orange. As brought up in one of the replies, I checked the calyx and it is a tomato-like star which seems weird. When the fruit was green it was just grassy and I assumed it would remain that way but as soon as it changed colors it is super sweet and fruity. Mystery!