Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

fauna posted:

now i think rickie isn't long for this world :( she was never as active as the others, and had a growth over her eye that seems to be getting larger, but this past week she's been sleeping all the time, losing weight, and visibly out of breath after activity. they were cage layers under artificial light so they laid year-round and i got them cheap because they were old, so i think she was already unwell when she arrived. the others are being kind to her and she still seems to enjoy dust-bathing and sunshine, so i'm not going to euth her just in case she pulls through. dying a natural death is kind of an achievement for a quail tbh

tomorrow i will cook some eggs for her

"Remember the One Quail who died peacefully in their sleep" sounds like something the quail would speak about in hushed tones for generations after, as if having been visited by a higher being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

barbecue at the folks posted:

"Remember the One Quail who died peacefully in their sleep" sounds like something the quail would speak about in hushed tones for generations after, as if having been visited by a higher being
:unsmith:

i've only ever lost two quails to illness before. (counting pavlova, my sad little white blob who died from eating too much dirt.) it's hard to know what to do in this circumstance. if it was friday i'd probably take her to the vet, because she's tame enough that it wouldn't stress her out too much, but the new ones aren't hand-tame and i don't think it would be worth the distress to rickie when the vet probably wouldn't be able to help her anyway. and i know i should euthanise her, but the sun was shining today and she was doing bird yoga and i think there's still some joy left in her life

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

My oldest chicken, the lovely Gertrude, is not doing well and no obvious cause :(

She's an ex-batt but has always been the healthiest of the lot, a chonky giantess compared to the others. I've noticed she's been slowing down a bit over the last few months but she's always been active and eating well.

She's started molting and I think it's taking a toll. This morning she wasn't moving around much and seems listless. I've brought her inside for some warmth and rest and TLC. I hope that will help.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

fauna posted:

:unsmith:

i've only ever lost two quails to illness before. (counting pavlova, my sad little white blob who died from eating too much dirt.) it's hard to know what to do in this circumstance. if it was friday i'd probably take her to the vet, because she's tame enough that it wouldn't stress her out too much, but the new ones aren't hand-tame and i don't think it would be worth the distress to rickie when the vet probably wouldn't be able to help her anyway. and i know i should euthanise her, but the sun was shining today and she was doing bird yoga and i think there's still some joy left in her life

I know I'm a parrot guy, but avian vet stuff is always terrifying. We have one certified avian vet in the state and an illness on the weekend can be...grim.

Still, a quail passing from "natural causes" has to be the best end to a quail story possible.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Their first time out of the coop and into the wide world.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Enfys posted:

My oldest chicken, the lovely Gertrude, is not doing well and no obvious cause :(

She's an ex-batt but has always been the healthiest of the lot, a chonky giantess compared to the others. I've noticed she's been slowing down a bit over the last few months but she's always been active and eating well.

She's started molting and I think it's taking a toll. This morning she wasn't moving around much and seems listless. I've brought her inside for some warmth and rest and TLC. I hope that will help.
oh no! gertie! :sympathy: it's awful the effect that battery life has on their little bodies. i hope she is just molting and she'll perk right up when she has successfullly installed next season's hairstyle

rickie is in a hospital box with oberon to keep her company. he is the mildest rooster i've ever seen, he asks nothing of his hens but their presence. i looked in just then and they're snuggling :qq:

heartbreak birds

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Their first time out of the coop and into the wide world.

I can practically smell the green growing things! So jealous!

Sorry for everyone’s sick birdies :(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enfys posted:

She's started moulting and I think it's taking a toll. This morning she wasn't moving around much and seems listless. I've brought her inside for some warmth and rest and TLC. I hope that will help.

Oh no, poor Gertrude. How old is she?

That happened with our Piper, the last nine months of her life she became more tired, spent most of her days on cushions in the sunshine. She also developed an eye infection that should have been dealt with much sooner and would have made her passing more gentle. Piper had just under eight years of retirement (and adding on her time in cages would have made her nine and a half). Pip*, Piper's nest sister is still going strong and she seems to have moved on (somewhat) from the loss of sharing an Eglu with Piper for nearly eight years.

Both Pip and Piper have had the best health of all our hens. Piper's eye infection was her first ailment.

Come on Gertrude, there's more treats for you, get well soon!

*Queen Pip the Glorious

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 11, 2020

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Joburg posted:

I can practically smell the green growing things! So jealous!

Sorry for everyone’s sick birdies :(

Don’t worry it’s going to get to 30 on Friday so it will all be dead

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My teenagers are spending their first night in their new coop tonight after having outgrown their coffin-sized enclosure on the porch. Im nervous like a new dad and have already gone out to check on them twice, freaking them the gently caress out the first time because I didn't sneak up on them.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i made the decision :( rickie was just sitting there puffed up and panting audibly with her eyes shut, not eating or drinking or moving, obviously in a lot of pain. it's been a long time since i've had to euthanise a bird, it loving sucks. she's buried up in the abandoned orchard with a native lily planted on her grave

rest in peace little bibbit

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

fauna posted:

i made the decision :( rickie was just sitting there puffed up and panting audibly with her eyes shut, not eating or drinking or moving, obviously in a lot of pain. it's been a long time since i've had to euthanise a bird, it loving sucks. she's buried up in the abandoned orchard with a native lily planted on her grave

Poor little nugget. Sorry for your loss.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Poor little nugget. Sorry for your loss.
thank you, friend :unsmith:

life goes on

they actually seem much calmer now than when rickie was alive. there was always someone with her and they were all very fidgety, i think they could tell she was suffering.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

fauna posted:

Awww, that loving sucks. I'm sorry you had to go through a loss, but you provided an awesome home for the little borbs.

I swear to God, only quail would figure out how to relax by looking dead. :birdthunk: It's adorable. :derptiel:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Captain Log posted:

I swear to God, only quail would figure out how to relax by looking dead. :birdthunk: It's adorable. :derptiel:
it is the funniest thing how the happier they are, the deader they look

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

fauna posted:

they were dusting up a storm today

I love orb

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Finally! I found it this morning. Hurricane Delta passed through yesterday so I didn't spend a lot of time outside.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sorry about Rickie, fauna. You have given those quail such a good life, I’m really glad that you share them with us. I can’t find the right smilie so here’s this one :henget:

Congrats, Alterian!!! Now that all my (April hatched) Pearl Whites are laying, I’m impatiently waiting for my hen-raised mixed breeds to lay. I hope I get some colored eggs from them but most likely they will lay brown eggs. They are pretty shy with me so they are hard to photograph :(

Mystery mixes, Black Beard and her brother:

Half Buff Orpington, half Easter Egger:

I love their floofy cheeks!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

fauna posted:

Really sorry about Rickie :( it's a very tough call to make and even tougher to carry out.

I don't know about Gertrude. She's chripy and in some ways very much herself, but she's also very weak :( She's developed this involuntary slow nodding behaviour. Worried there's something neurological going on as she can't seem to balance well either.

I'm syringing a vitamin mix into her in case it's some kind of deficiency, but the others are fine so I'd be surprised if that's an issue.

Because in some ways she seems herself (brrrrhing at me as I work, preening herself a little), I want to give her some time and feeding support to see if she recovers. If she keeps getting weaker and refusing to eat on her own, I don't want to just prolong things.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

fauna posted:

That's rough, I'm sorry. :( RIP Rickie.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Nth-ing condolences for Rickie. She looks adorable.

Stupid Newbie Question: Is there an authoritative book on backyard chicken keeping? There's obviously a lot of great online resources (this thread included) and I've learned a lot, but I don't know enough to do the required collection of 5 different opinions and weighing out which one is correct. I'm looking for The Official Facts by the chair of the poultry sciences department at Purdue or something that where I can just flip to with a question and get a strong answer.

I had a similar book when i was learning how to raise bees and it was REALLY helpful to just be able to look something up and get a good answer.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

thank you all so much for the condolences. this really is the nicest thread on the forums :unsmith: the nature of quail means i lean on everyone's goodwill and sympathy more than just about any other poster itt, but it's been a particularly bad year. rickie's illness wasn't unexpected, she'd always been the quietest of the newbies and i think it was because she was never well, but she was a sweetheart and it was very sad to lose her. here she is in younger, happier times (two weeks ago)

Enfys posted:

I don't know about Gertrude. She's chripy and in some ways very much herself, but she's also very weak :( She's developed this involuntary slow nodding behaviour. Worried there's something neurological going on as she can't seem to balance well either.

I'm syringing a vitamin mix into her in case it's some kind of deficiency, but the others are fine so I'd be surprised if that's an issue.

Because in some ways she seems herself (brrrrhing at me as I work, preening herself a little), I want to give her some time and feeding support to see if she recovers. If she keeps getting weaker and refusing to eat on her own, I don't want to just prolong things.
animals are mysterious in how they perceive pain. unlike humans, chronic illness doesn't really seem to diminish their happiness until it's well into the last stages. my rule is that if they're still eating well and showing an interest in their surroundings, they're still getting some pleasure out of life. it's only when they withdraw into themselves and can't even enjoy food that i can really say for sure that life's not worth the pain for them anymore. but it's so hard, finding the difference between prolonging their suffering unnecessarily, versus giving them as much time as possible to live their happy little bird lives.

i am praying for the gertiebird :( :glomp: your hens are lucky to have you. one thing is for sure, their lives are far better with you than they'd be anywhere else.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Joburg posted:

I love their floofy cheeks!

This chicken looks like a Very Alarmed Victorian Man.

HMPH!!!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here is Boo's temporary home until she recovers some of her vision (if she recovers any vision).

She also gets daily supervised play-time outside in the dirt with all the others locked away for her protection.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Sorry to hear about all the deceased birds everyone, it's a big bummer when an animal under your care dies. But you can't learn without making mistakes and generally you'll come out the other side better prepared to avoid those mistakes in the future. Hey if you're not deliberately causing harm out of malice, it will be ok. It will be ok.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Here is Boo's temporary home until she recovers some of her vision (if she recovers any vision).

She also gets daily supervised play-time outside in the dirt with all the others locked away for her protection.

Oh my gawd, that's the cutest guinea pig I've ever seen. :derptiel:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

LuckyCat posted:

sweet puffy blind baby :unsmith:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
People drive me crazy... I called this lady advertising her hens on Craigslist, I asked if any had gone broody, and she said yes, and I went over to get the broody and another hen for company. In talking with her at her chicken pen, I don’t think she even had a clue if her hen was ever broody “I just gather the eggs” she says. But her chickens look terrible and one is plucking and eating everyone’s feathers right in front of us, so I go ahead and take the “broody” and another one. They are currently in quarantine (learned that lesson well!) and “broody” has bumble foot on both feet. :argh:

Her feathers are growing in from molting (and the plucking :argh:) so I really don’t want to touch her more than necessary so I think bumble foot surgery is on hold for now. I’m just really annoyed at myself for not checking before taking them and feeling like I have to “save” these hens.

Anyway, thank you all for taking care of your birds better than that lady!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Joburg posted:

oh lord i loving hate people who mistreat their birds. some of the conditions i've seen quail kept under are abysmal, i often get the urge to break in under cover of darkness and liberate the rest of them, but have to settle for just doing the best i can for the ones i've bought :( animal protection is so overworked (in australia, but also everywhere) that the standards of cruelty at which a report is worth making are absurdly high, especially for birds and especially for livestock birds. but for some reason, even people who take good care of their chickens don't seem to think quail deserve the same treatment. they're small enough that four or five can be crammed into a tiny box in the dark and it takes them a few years to die of stress under those conditions, therefore it's fine to do so.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Animal protection in the US is a joke.

I know I see it from the parrot side of things, but being a member of local parrot groups on Facebook makes me want to cry most days. Some of them only live longer than humans and have cognitive intelligence on par with eight to ten year old children. (according to the research of Irene Pepperberg)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

We'd love to have more hens at the moment (down to three, from five), but we have a lot of building work on at home and just no room / space / money for new hens. We will be getting another two ex-batts by the end of the year, but when I read about British caged hen 'factories' that can house 120,000 hens and then the BHWT say they've rehomed another 300, it's heartbreaking and appalling animal abuse.

:smith:

Just got to remember we change the world for that one hen.

In our case, three hens.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Can't save the world on your own, a little is better than nothing. :)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My teenagers enjoying their new run/coop

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stealie72 posted:

:kimchi:

they are adorable

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
The first dork realized they could fly over the fence. It’s going to be wing clipping time soon.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Heh. Tell them.to.enjoy that grass in there. It'll be gone in a blink.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Someone came over to photograph the house today. Went to the backyard, was greeted by a chicken, was reassured that the chickens are safe, went outside.

Comes back in five minutes later: "I didn't realize you had more of them!"

Apparently chicken #1 had gone out to lull him into a false sense of security while the other three hid behind the shed, then when he got close to the shed they all popped out from behind it and demanded treats.

Normally they look like this as soon as they see someone standing at the door:

so I have to assume this little ambush was deliberate.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Someone came over to photograph the house today. Went to the backyard, was greeted by a chicken, was reassured that the chickens are safe, went outside.

Comes back in five minutes later: "I didn't realize you had more of them!"

Apparently chicken #1 had gone out to lull him into a false sense of security while the other three hid behind the shed, then when he got close to the shed they all popped out from behind it and demanded treats.

I. Would. Die.

From cute.

That's very cute.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

stealie72 posted:

Stupid Newbie Question: Is there an authoritative book on backyard chicken keeping?

Nettle Soup posted some book recommendations a while back

Nettle Soup posted:

For info, honestly, the best thing I found was books, I think I ended up with these 3:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0715325671/ Keeping Chickens: The Essential Guide to Enjoying and Getting the Best from Chickens
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0716030187/ The Right Way to Keep Chickens < This one was good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/9036615925/ Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens

I remember the encyclopedia being pretty great for just looking up different breeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

stealie72 posted:

that's such a handsome coop! they look a bit less agog than a few weeks ago, so they must be establishing a sense of ownership

ToxicFrog posted:

:kimchi: they coordinated a dramatic entrance to maximise their impact (therefore, chance of treats)