Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Amazons have the most distinctive speaking/singing voices, even when they don't do one of those "brztWHRR" noises in the middle of speaking :3:

also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy is becoming a chonk. A handsome chonk, but a chonk.

Are you hogging all the food????

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RoboRodent posted:

Ozzy is becoming a chonk. A handsome chonk, but a chonk.

Are you hogging all the food????

"Aaaayyyyyyyyyyy."

idk why your bird reminds me of the fonz

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

"Aaaayyyyyyyyyyy."

idk why your bird reminds me of the fonz

Well, I think I managed to catch him in a wink, so that might help.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In my experience, that is the closest an african grey gets to dancing. They are not exceptionally musical birbs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

me and my buddy enjoying looking out at the christmas lights tonight

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Miss Broccoli posted:

I am home: Good news my gf is freeeeeeee from bad abusive housemate, bad news his birds are not. Loki the green eclectus adores me and I didn't even get to say goodbye to him

He was obsessed with kisses and me and would leave whoever he was with if i was in the room and d e m a n d kiss

This Evee, she's very negelcted by that dude and really bitey and when she bites she does not let go, but she was slowly warming up to me. She was horny as heck too and would dance and honk at me for uhhhhhhh

Bonus very good cat who has since passed

:swoon:
Inject it straight into my veins!

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

What is the general feeling in this thread about sharing stuff about an ongoing experience raising a small wild passerine bird that is not conventionally kept? This wasn't a thing we wanted to do necessarily -- the raptor center near us was closed due to the pandemic; the alternative was to let the baby die on the scorching concrete.

It has been a unique and amazing but very hard (and rightly not recommended) experience that might be interesting for some here, maybe?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
So uh, starberries make Rain look like some sort of vampire bird monster. Bow just ends up with some rouge on his cheeks.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Masonity posted:

So uh, starberries make Rain look like some sort of vampire bird monster. Bow just ends up with some rouge on his cheeks.

Look at those CHEEK SPOTS!!! That budgie is an absolute hunk to other budgies.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plastic Pal posted:

What is the general feeling in this thread about sharing stuff about an ongoing experience raising a small wild passerine bird that is not conventionally kept? This wasn't a thing we wanted to do necessarily -- the raptor center near us was closed due to the pandemic; the alternative was to let the baby die on the scorching concrete.

It has been a unique and amazing but very hard (and rightly not recommended) experience that might be interesting for some here, maybe?

Yes please, with obvious asides that it shouldn’t be done except in the most extreme circumstances

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Pookah posted:

Look at those CHEEK SPOTS!!! That budgie is an absolute hunk to other budgies.

She's a cross between a standard and a show budgie. And I nearly called her Rorschach.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Yes please, with obvious asides that it shouldn’t be done except in the most extreme circumstances

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Masonity posted:

She's a cross between a standard and a show budgie. And I nearly called her Rorschach.

We had an English show budgie with a lesser, though still impressive level of cheek spottage, and the other budgies in the shop were literally queuing up to preen his glorious cheeks. Budgies are insanely impressed by cheek spots, so that girl is a goddamn supermodel crossed with a superhero in budgiedom.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

I'm a little worried actually. Someone replied to my imgur upload of that pic saying she didn't look healthy. She looks / acts / seems completely fine to me. Am I missing something or is it likely a troll or someone not getting that her beak is meant to be half hidden like that?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Masonity posted:

I'm a little worried actually. Someone replied to my imgur upload of that pic saying she didn't look healthy. She looks / acts / seems completely fine to me. Am I missing something or is it likely a troll or someone not getting that her beak is meant to be half hidden like that?

What was their worry? I don't see any problems.

In my experience, especially with the Serra video going to drat near 250k views, is someone will ALWAYS say you are doing something wrong. As I heard in the south growing up, "If one person says you look like a horse, ignore 'em. If two people say you look like a horse, at least check the mirror."

Translation - If a bunch of people are worried about a particular thing, double check it. But don't let it be a source of too much worry. Animals, like all hobbies and poo poo, attract their fair share of crazy folk.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i had to find a way to view webp images but now i agree, birb looks fine (and beautiful!)?

you're going to be the one the knows your buddies better than anyone else. if they're eating, not overweight, seem perky and happy, etc., chances are they're totally fine. diagnosing illness, whether animals or people, is the internet's favourite pastime and they're almost always wrong.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I posted something about Serra getting a wing trim on the Portland Facebook parrot group.

Firstly, Serra gets wing trims when she has trouble with night frights, which she does. She had bloodied herself badly three times, with each instance requiring a trim to remove some problem feathers. Also, when she is trimmed, she doesn't have frights. My vet, the only avian certified one in the state, is the one who recommends her staying trimmed until she stops nearly killing herself.

Two people, who were extremely established posters, went all knives out on me. Posting that I shouldn't be allowed to keep and abuse a bird - because it is abuse to -

- Trim wings
- Keep a bird in a cage (WTF?!)

They both ended up banned over how they acted, with my friends and the parrot shop chiming in to say, "Funny, Person X and Person Y, you've both brought your birds in for wing trims AND bought cages from us. Why are you saying he doesn't deserve a bird over those two things you do?"

tldr - People love to get all screaming mad when they're behind a keyboard. Animals being the subject seems to multiply this factor by 1000%.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

They didn't give any details. Just "the grey one looks unwell tbh".

She came over onto the table for millet, has been attacking her fruit mix even more since the pics, and is basically acting her usual lower energy than Bow but braver and chilled self. So I think she's fine. Just making sure I wasn't missing anything as they are still young and we've not even had them a month yet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Masonity posted:

They didn't give any details. Just "the grey one looks unwell tbh".

She came over onto the table for millet, has been attacking her fruit mix even more since the pics, and is basically acting her usual lower energy than Bow but braver and chilled self. So I think she's fine. Just making sure I wasn't missing anything as they are still young and we've not even had them a month yet.

Yeah, ignore that person. If they were saying (I'm making this up), "The cere looks to be a shade darker than normal with an unusual discharge. Has that been checked out? It could indicate whateverthefuck." it might be worth a thought. But just an "unwell" is literally meaningless and could be coming from a ten year old who thinks "Sleepy = Sad = Unwell."

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

She looks like a happy boodge to me. With a very dirty face.

Birds are weird and honestly most people don't know how to read their body language. I wouldn't worry.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Yeah, ignore that person. If they were saying (I'm making this up), "The cere looks to be a shade darker than normal with an unusual discharge. Has that been checked out? It could indicate whateverthefuck." it might be worth a thought. But just an "unwell" is literally meaningless and could be coming from a ten year old who thinks "Sleepy = Sad = Unwell."

RoboRodent posted:

She looks like a happy boodge to me. With a very dirty face.

Birds are weird and honestly most people don't know how to read their body language. I wouldn't worry.

Thanks. They are new enough that it was just... worrying.

And excuse me, she also has a dirty neck, chest and maybe even belly. She properly enjoyed those strawberries! :') It's a shame they are only allowed them as occasional treats.

Edit: they got back to me. They thought she was bald below her beak, where her white feathers are completely stained by strawberries.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 19, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Masonity posted:

Edit: they got back to me. They thought she was bald below her beak, where her white feathers are completely stained by strawberries.

:lmao:

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plastic Pal posted:

I'd be into it

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress i hate this avatar

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Masonity posted:

Thanks. They are new enough that it was just... worrying.

And excuse me, she also has a dirty neck, chest and maybe even belly. She properly enjoyed those strawberries! :') It's a shame they are only allowed them as occasional treats.

ahahahah

i mean they probably could have explained themselves better but at least it seems to have come from an earnest birb friend

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Miss Broccoli posted:

gently caress i hate this avatar

Lowtax is gone, it’s safe to give the forums money again.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Finally got grace to be comfortable on my shoulder...with a bribe

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Aww. Pesto only goes on my shoulder if I'm holding millet or Mayo but especially if I have both of those on me. He gets really out of sorts if he sees Mayo enjoying millet, lol.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The only time Ozzy has willingly gone on my shoulder was when we all went to my sister's for a few days while they sprayed for the neighbour's bedbugs, and he was just so incredibly distraught about the entire experience of a car ride and then a strange room in a strange house that he flew to my shoulder and cried a lot about everything.

I still sometimes think about how prior to that, probably every car ride he ever went on ended up with him being in a strange place with strangers and never seeing the old place again, because after that experience he's been incredibly calm about car rides.

More frequently, he likes the top of my head, but only for brief periods.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

The only time Ozzy has willingly gone on my shoulder was when we all went to my sister's for a few days while they sprayed for the neighbour's bedbugs, and he was just so incredibly distraught about the entire experience of a car ride and then a strange room in a strange house that he flew to my shoulder and cried a lot about everything.

I still sometimes think about how prior to that, probably every car ride he ever went on ended up with him being in a strange place with strangers and never seeing the old place again, because after that experience he's been incredibly calm about car rides.

More frequently, he likes the top of my head, but only for brief periods.

aw!

linnies are generally extremely social; alex's favourite place in the world is your shoulder. he likes to sit on the back of your collar and preen you, too, haha.

i'm hoping grace will slowly get friendlier as she gets to know us more.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It had to be done. It was a threat to national security.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There is zero guilt on that bird's face because they know it's your fault for leaving them alone with the toilet paper roll.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

AfricanGrey.jpg

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Log posted:

Lowtax is gone, it’s safe to give the forums money again.

How's that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

AfricanGrey.jpg

they’re so proud, too

He’s saying if you were holding off on changing your avatar because the forums were owned by a known domestic abuser, that’s no longer an issue

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

mediaphage posted:

He’s saying if you were holding off on changing your avatar because the forums were owned by a known domestic abuser, that’s no longer an issue

Oh, I think she was saying "how's that" because of the brand new kitty avatar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Oh, I think she was saying "how's that" because of the brand new kitty avatar!

Oh ho, I am not very observant, ty.

Speaking of plants, you might be interested in one of the orchids that blasted its buds the last three or four cycles/years in a row. My so was going to toss it but we decided to give it another chance after threatening to resign it to the compost heap