Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like rainbow star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I’m big on We Are and We Go! but, like others have said that and the Pirate Rap are kinda unfair. I’m REALLY fond of Over The Top but my partner and I made dumb joke lyrics about The Office for the the first few lines and now I cannot separate the two ideas.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I agree that it seems like the OPs have been a mixed bag but over the top gets me hype as gently caress whenever I hear it and makes me almost regret not watching the anime as it airs.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The 4Kids version of We Are is better than the English version we actually got.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

I forget the name of the song but I’m kind of partial to the current opening.

Julias posted:

Dreamin' On

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Imagine a world where the 4Kids dub made it all the way to the current chapter and we got dozens of variants of the pirate rap.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm cool with scanlation talk because that usually only begins Thursday or Friday. having the thread become [redacted] two days after the official chapter comes out is silly!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wann See how 4Kids would censor later stuff too. Oh no Law's fake arm fell off!!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Brook's devil fruit just magically turned him into a skeleton and the Rumbar Pirates became so frightened that they abandoned him on Thriller Bark. In a fun flashback, we see them playing the song that makes them incredibly sleepy every time.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My fav opening is the 4kids We Are. I can’t decide if I like the pirate rap ironically or unironically.

EmmyOk posted:

Every day i pray east towards Mecca that WSJ goes fully digital. And not just Jump+

I will do my best

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Libra posted:

Imagine a world where the 4Kids dub made it all the way to the current chapter and we got dozens of variants of the pirate rap.

By Brook it's just the verses of Rap God.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

“Special We Are” that plays at the tail end of Water-7 into Thriller Bark is my favourite because it was the OP around the time I got into One Piece and I really love that visual towards the end where Luffy goes Gear 2 and it circles round the crew to focus in on Brook. Really hope the first OP with Jimbei pays him some dubs!!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Julias posted:

I'm not convinced yet that spoiler text discussions would dominate the chat or wind up accidentally spoiling a bunch of posters.
I know people have shared their opinion to death about this already, and this week at least the discussion itself is a far bigger issues than the spoilers were, and usually they're pretty unobtrusive anyway.

But there's one issue I have that hasn't really been brought up yet. Sometimes the spoilers prompt actual discussions, and people stop spoiling that discussion when it's not directly related to the latest chapter.

For instance last week there was a discussion about a potential Ace flashback framed as speculation but clearly prompted by the spoiler discussion. Often it's less specific like people are suddenly talking about Ussop being too cowardly or Jimbei being cool or whatever, and you know based on black bars that preceded the discussion that character is going to do something lame/cool/whatever.

I can be pretty neurotic about spoilers for myself, so I don't think I'm in a position to judge how it affects most people, but I really don't like getting to the end of a chapter of One Piece and my first reaction being "Oh, so that's why people were having that discussion."

But I guess if you really want to segregate discussion to the degree that won't happen, you'd need two threads. I dunno, I'd probably subscribe to both and only read the spoiler thread after the chapter went out, and who cares if it's usually pretty dead? It's not like there's a finite number of threads in the world. If we just keep spoilers in here, that's fine, but I don't know if we want to address the way general subject matter sometimes gets implied by the subsequent conversation. A lot of people are good about tagging non-spoiler but spoiler-inspired comments, but inevitably someone won't bother 'cause their post isn't directly a spoiler, and that'll be that.

Undocumented Gamer
Jan 9, 2019

Last Celebration posted:

Really we should just by default ban the Pirate Rap and We Are/We Are Again/We Are One More Time/We Are But The Strawhat VAs Sung It This Time in these kinds of discussions because it’s just not fair.

With that criteria in mind:

1: Share The WORLD (goddamn poo poo slaps so hard)
2: Hikari E (shame about the English version though...)
3: Believe (just genuinely catchy)

Also I guess it doesn’t count but I’m gonna give an honorary mention to the Sniper King theme, every version.

Worth mentioning Bink's Sake as an amazingly catchy song.

Not sure what my #1 would be, but #2 is definitely Sogeking Theme. And it should also count as an OP.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I still can't believe the spoilers said Big Mom is actually Luffy's Mom and D stands for "Danny Devitio"

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

The World Inferno posted:

I still can't believe the spoilers said Big Mom is actually Luffy's Mom and D stands for "Danny Devitio"

dont talk about choppers new voice actor that way

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That all the straw hats grew up together as kids in an orphanage run by edea but all forgot because of amnesia brought on from too much Haki usage is just not something I saw coming at least. When you look back tho the hints are there, drat oda.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

That all the straw hats grew up together as kids in an orphanage run by edea but all forgot because of amnesia brought on from too much Haki usage is just not something I saw coming at least. When you look back tho the hints are there, drat oda.

Really intrigued by Imu's "Hat Compression"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

euphemism posted:

dont talk about choppers new voice actor that way

This is my dream

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight
My favorite OP is Fight Together.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I feel bad because I post spoilers because I figure people want to see them, but I don't actually read them. I want to be surprised too.

Best One Piece openings are Hope, Fight Together, Share the World and Hard Knock Days.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

What's more, the first man to hold the Will of D was a Trash Man who ate the Trash Trash Fruit, a.k.a the Gomi Gomi no Mi.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope the anime gets an OP that's just the Tobi Roppo being dinosaurs and doing dinosaur poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eiba posted:

But there's one issue I have that hasn't really been brought up yet. Sometimes the spoilers prompt actual discussions, and people stop spoiling that discussion when it's not directly related to the latest chapter.

This is absolutely something that can be an issue and that should definitely be cracked down on.

I also don't care for spoilers and generally try to ignore them when posted and certainly don't seek them out. Tho I feel like if people "read them, and then post about them incessantly" then that means there is a desire for people in this thread to talk about them :shrug:.

I also think it's mildly amusing that the preferred alternative topic was to talk about anime openings, which I as a manga-only reader have no context for, and when there is explicitly an anime thread to talk about this stuff in. Which if we ban pre-release spoiler talk there without opening a spoiler thread there is literally nowhere for the people that might want to talk about them to do so on this site.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I dont think theres been a marine animal zoan yet
And i feel there wont ever be

Does Pekoms' fruit count?

Paper Lion posted:

i get that the fruit name is just a fun thing about how its not really a fish anymore its a dragon, this is entirely a tangent: what would happen if you ate a devil fruit that turned you into a fish like a shark or a trout or something? would you still drown? I know we've seen a fishman eat a fruit before, but this is different since fishmen can innately live underwater, this would be the fruit giving the ability (presumably, since fish need water) so would it be rescinded?

I think you'd still be paralyzed. So a death sentence. Maybe Kaido was already suicidal back then and Big Mom gave him the Goldfish Fruit as a sick joke? But because he's Kaido, he ate it and it STILL didn't kill him somehow?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

This is absolutely something that can be an issue and that should definitely be cracked down on.

I also don't care for spoilers and generally try to ignore them when posted and certainly don't seek them out. Tho I feel like if people "read them, and then post about them incessantly" then that means there is a desire for people in this thread to talk about them :shrug:.

People wanting to talk about a thing doesnt mean the thing doesnt suck poo poo for the thread.

imo the only actual info drop from those lovely spoilers that should be allowed is "break week or no."

But I'll also be incredibly blunt in that I find it really sad that anyone would want their first exposure to new One Piece chapters to be these utterly joyless spoiler dumps.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

People wanting to talk about a thing doesnt mean the thing doesnt suck poo poo for the thread.

IMO the thread is the people in the thread generating the discussion

Like I said I don’t care for text spoilers either but if people want to talk about them this is literally the only thread that makes sense, an extra thread for spoilers would barely get used

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

imo the only actual info drop from those lovely spoilers that should be allowed is "break week or no."

But I'll also be incredibly blunt in that I find it really sad that anyone would want their first exposure to new One Piece chapters to be these utterly joyless spoiler dumps.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There's a lot of people who clearly absolutely do not want spoilers at all so the only compromise I can think of without being condescending to either pro/anti spoiler people is "One Piece General" thread that has a soft "Don't talk about anything from the last 2 weeks of chapters" kinda rule, and "One Piece Game Day Thread" which allows spoilers behind bars until the official release on the weekends.

That way we can all talk about the weird crackpot theories we always do on break weeks without interrupting anyone who hasn't caught up or doesn't want to read spoilers yet. :shrug:

It shouldn't be a mod's part-time job to clean a page up because people forgot to mark spoilers or hosed up the spoiler tag without realizing, but the people who want to talk about it should be able to. If you don't want spoilers on the new chapter, avoid the GDT until after you've read the new chapter. Simple fix and cuts the weird pages long derails on stuff that isn't super relevant to the newest chapter(s)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

lowercase16 posted:

Does Pekoms' fruit count?

I think you'd still be paralyzed. So a death sentence. Maybe Kaido was already suicidal back then and Big Mom gave him the Goldfish Fruit as a sick joke? But because he's Kaido, he ate it and it STILL didn't kill him somehow?

Tortoise
Not
Turtle

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Oh Snapple! posted:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Tortoise
Not
Turtle

It’s called the Kame Kame fruit which I think can be either turtle or tortoise.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The second you make a spoiler thread, the first thing that will happen is people will mix up the threads and post all the spoilers in the non spoiler thread and everyone in the non spoiler thread will get mad.

This will happen at least once a month.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I usually stop reading the thread when the spoilers are posted. That used to be Thursday/Friday and I was fine with that, it is a little dumb that I'm now basically only reading the thread one day a week but so be it.

I do not think multiple threads is a good idea though, since people like me would still have to do basically the same thing and then One Piece manga discussion would be even more fragmented. And the text based spoilers are usually so poorly articulated they are nearly meaningless anyway (almost as bad as the crappy speed scans).

Honestly there is a high quality free official release in the country where most of this audience resides which I would really like people to wait for because it supports the industry and is just generally a good thing I want to keep going for everyone. I'm not bothered by early spoilers/scans/etc, but I do want to support the official ones especially since they ARE free (I do have the $1.99/mo SJ subscription though because it is just worth it). So I really just don't want to give my time to scans or spoilers, but instead spend it all on the official release.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Dry (sometimes inaccurate!) bullet point spoiler summaries are lame, especially when they come out a couple of days after the official release. Speed scans are tolerable. Maybe even fine. Splitting off a spoiler thread will not solve the problem. There will absolutely be regular contamination anyway.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 17, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this is my big favorite OP op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_92ErLH5s4

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Ope Ope no Mi turns your body into a One Piece opening

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Listen, I mostly lurk, and i will be fine with the way this thread decides to go, but this is just silly to me. Text spoilers are anything but joyless to me. They build up hype for the actual chapter, and prolongs the enjoyment I get out of One Piece each week. Instead of reading the chapter, and being done with it after ten minutes, I get to spread it out and work to a bigger "climax".

I'm sorry it doesn't work like that for everyone, but I really don't like some people giving of the vibe that there is something wrong with enjoying a piece of entertainment this way.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Turning the page to see Roger laughing his rear end off at One Piece is one of the coolest things that's ever happened to me as a comics reader. Reading "Roger laughs at One Piece" would come nowhere near as close.

I respect that people experience these things differently, but I wouldn't read a list of key plot points before I went to see a movie or read a book or whatever, so the same applies to comic books for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
I think that is fine and valid.