Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thom at the very least knows an Aes Sedai when he sees one even if he doesn't know which Aes Sedai he's just stumbled into. And if there's an Aes Sedai present, he wants to be as far away as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

silvergoose posted:

No...no, there's definitely at least one time later on when he nearly misses a ball juggling or a line of a poem. I forget the details though. Feel like it was in TGH when Rand shows up or something.

He chokes on his wine or something when Rand cluelessly recounts the noble women inviting him for "lessons" and telling him their husbands are away for some reason he can't comprehend.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I could have sworn there's a scene where Rand (or Mat?) overhears Thom talking to himself which makes it clear he doesn't know who Moiraine is beyond "an Aes Sedai", but I can't remember when.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"Abruptly the flow of words and the juggling alike stopped. Thom simply snatched the balls from the air and stopped talking. Unnoticed by Rand, Moiraine had joined the listeners. Lan was at her shoulder, though he had to look twice to see the man. For a moment Thom looked at Moiraine sideways, his face and body still except for making the balls disappear into his capacious coat sleeves. Then he bowed to her, holding his cloak wide. “Your pardon, but you are surely not from this district?”"
Yeah.... he knows full well who she is, and he knows that she knows who he is. I don't think Thom is ever caught flat-footed like that again.

Lol she keeps calling him Master Bard. She knows.

And she sends him a love letter when her death is imminent despite not seeing each other for three books, and she tells the wonder girls that she already knows the face of the man she'll marry, and she bonds him upon first sight when she's resurrected (I can't remember her dialog there). And he can get close enough to her... uncle?... the king to murder him. They for sure know each other.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

BigHead posted:

And she sends him a love letter when her death is imminent despite not seeing each other for three books, and she tells the wonder girls that she already knows the face of the man she'll marry, and she bonds him upon first sight when she's resurrected (I can't remember her dialog there). And he can get close enough to her... uncle?... the king to murder him. They for sure know each other.
Thom murders her half brother (Taringail, who is Elayne, Galad and Gawyn's dad) but that's after Moiraine is already in the tower, and also that's presumably in Andor and not Cairhien. Thom much later kills the king of Cairhien (at the end of TGH) but at that point it's not a Damodred, it's a Riatin. It's likely that Thom and Moiraine would know of each other, but I don't think there's any reason they would actually have met, though they might have incidentally.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ani posted:

Thom murders her half brother (Taringail, who is Elayne, Galad and Gawyn's dad) but that's after Moiraine is already in the tower, and also that's presumably in Andor and not Cairhien. Thom much later kills the king of Cairhien (at the end of TGH) but at that point it's not a Damodred, it's a Riatin. It's likely that Thom and Moiraine would know of each other, but I don't think there's any reason they would actually have met, though they might have incidentally.

The timing here is such that Taringail marries into House Trakand right before Moiraine's raised to the shawl, but it's about 5 years later (Elayne is slightly younger than Rand) that Thom has Taringail killled.

By which time Moiraine is already out in the world, Lan bound as her Warder, and establishing her eyes and ears network.

Thom openly confronts Elaida and Morgase a couple years later.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 11, 2021

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I think the difference is probably mostly academic. There's not very many Cairhienin noblewomen who are Aes Sedai (we know of only one other, IIRC?) so I don't think it'd be a far leap to identifying Moiraine if one were familiar with the nobility there... but knowing her house name doesn't really do Thom any immediate good that I can think of. It's not like she was involved with anything that concerned him, family-that-she-doesn't-like aside.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thom would definitely have known she was Aes Sedai and Cairhienin at first glance and either would be huge, huge red flags given his history.

Running into both in one person at the rear end end of nowhere, he probably instantly assumed she was there *for him*, because why else would she be?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Like I said. Their first meeting she immediately begins calling him "Master Bard," with no prompting. She was absolutely saying to him 'hey buddy, I know exactly who you are.'

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
How does she know she's going to marry him? She says that to the supergirls before she goes through the redstone doorway in Tear and before Rhuidean. Is it based on some kind of foretelling?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BigHead posted:

She tells the girls she knows the face of the man she'll marry shortly after setting foot through the red-stone archway terr'angreal and talking to the snake people, where she presumably learned some facts about her future. Sorry, had that wrong. But it is after she meets Min and receives some upsetting news from her viewing in TEotW, so presumably it stems from that. She also starts treating Thom notably differently after Baerlon. She writes a love letter to Thom after walking through the three rings in Rhuidean, in which she received visions of all her possible futures. Morraine's connection to Thom is based on prognostication, not on having met him before (although she may have met him before), and also because, as previously noted, Thom fucks..

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 11, 2021

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Like I said. Their first meeting she immediately begins calling him "Master Bard," with no prompting. She was absolutely saying to him 'hey buddy, I know exactly who you are.'

I had forgotten about this in the previous wave of this discussion, and yeah, I'm now firmly back with my original reading of the relationship, which was that they both know exactly who the other person is almost immediately.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ani posted:

How does she know she's going to marry him? She says that to the supergirls before she goes through the redstone doorway in Tear and before Rhuidean. Is it based on some kind of foretelling?

She knows Min though.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Thom openly confronts Elaida and Morgase a couple years later.

Where do they recount this? I can't recall at all.

Man I really need to make time to reread the series before the show drops.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Where do they recount this? I can't recall at all.

Man I really need to make time to reread the series before the show drops.

I think its when Elayne works out who he is when she's blind drunk, he recounts the whole story to her.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s super creepy when Elaine flirts with Thom. Let me just say that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s super creepy when Elaine flirts with Thom. Let me just say that.

Yeah, that was bad. It's another entry in my "Don't Do This on TV" list.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Only if they really lean into the "Thom really is Elayne's biological father" otherwise I don't think it matters too much, because everybody around the situation is uncomfortable with it for you already.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Everyone except Thom. Which he should be shutting that poo poo down immediately. Ya know since he like changed her diapers and stuff.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Only if they really lean into the "Thom really is Elayne's biological father" otherwise I don't think it matters too much, because everybody around the situation is uncomfortable with it for you already.

the words put to paper that created the sentences that gave me the mental image of that incest creepiness should not have happened in the first place.

all of Jordan's sex weirdo poo poo should be cut. I hope to see much less spanking in the TV series.

somewhat related: the books really become readable again after Egwene got bonked. That stand-off was getting really tedious.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

the words put to paper that created the sentences that gave me the mental image of that incest creepiness should not have happened in the first place.

all of Jordan's sex weirdo poo poo should be cut. I hope to see much less spanking in the TV series.

somewhat related: the books really become readable again after Egwene got bonked. That stand-off was getting really tedious.

I want that one spanking scene to be like 15 minutes long specifically to make that one idiots head explode

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want that one spanking scene to be like 15 minutes long specifically to make that one idiots head explode

Which spanking scene though??

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The one where Rand and Ba'alzamon have a spanking fight in the sky

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The 65 page spanking montage at Hogwarts

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I have doubts they’ll cut the spanking, so I’m going to hope they go full running joke with always showing the random maid/butler/novice/soldier awkwardly misinterpreting the noise (in perrin/faile’s case dog/bird/horse/wolf covering their eyes) etc outside the room at least.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The one where Rand and Ba'alzamon have a spanking fight in the sky

'by the light, the things we saw in the sky at falme...'

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone recall the link to the blogger that was reading through the series for the first time and posting their thoughts/predictions? Had to reinstall browser and lost it and scanned first 50 pages of thread but didn't see it, but it was a really neat perspective on the series.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

This one?

https://neuxue.tumblr.com/WoT-liveblog

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Still waiting for her to restart that!

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

That's the one, thanks! Couldn't remember what it was called and hadn't bookmarked it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for that. It's about a billion times better than bloody Leigh Butler. I'm still annoyed I read hers almost start to finish.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thanks for that. It's about a billion times better than bloody Leigh Butler. I'm still annoyed I read hers almost start to finish.

So much better, although not really the same thing since this is a blind read through and the Butler one was a reread. FYI Neuxue kinda stalled partway through Towers of Midnight back in August and still hasn't picked it up again, although she insists she will at some point and has taken extended hiatuses in the past. The quality of her analysis is actually quite extraordinary, and she spot on guesses so much stuff that was going to happen many books down the line.

If you're interested there is also another blind readthrough/analysis being done on Tor.com which is decent - currently early in book 5; although it's proceeding at a really slow pace. Typically 1 or 2 chapters in each weekly update, and he frequently takes breaks for a week or two or decides to write an in depth essay on some philosophical point some weeks rather than continue the readthrough.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

The quality of her analysis is actually quite extraordinary, and she spot on guesses so much stuff that was going to happen many books down the line.

I should say, for those of us who had to follow along with the books (even if it's just the latter half of the series or whatever), a lot of people did make many accurate guesses as to how the series was going to go.

What we were right on varied on a case by case and person by person basis. The fun was in trying to hash it all out water cooler style.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

I should say, for those of us who had to follow along with the books (even if it's just the latter half of the series or whatever), a lot of people did make many accurate guesses as to how the series was going to go.

What we were right on varied on a case by case and person by person basis. The fun was in trying to hash it all out water cooler style.

I’m not sure whether to be happy or sad I missed most of that. My original WoT experience was binging books 1-10 over about 5 months in 2003 when I was in grade 11. I was carrying one of the books with me to all my classes; sneaking in a page here or there during that brief window of waiting outside the classroom for the teacher to arrive at the start of each period; rushing to the library at morning tea and lunch; basically doing nothing but read them once I got home each day (how I kept my grades up I still don’t know).

Each new WoT book that came out after that I did a full reread in preparation for; then I raced out, bought the book as soon as the bookstore opened, came home and read the book in a single sitting - I’d eat while reading. I’d be finished by around 6-7 am the next day. By the time Sanderson was writing I was working full time; so I’d take a few weeks vacation, and do my reread in one massive all day every day binge.

I don’t think I would have enjoyed the back half of the Jordan written books nearly as much if I’d had to wait for each one, especially CoT. As it stands I’m in the minority who still really likes that slow portion of the series; I sometimes start rereads at book 4.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I did the series via audiobooks from late 2019 until mid 2020, and was only able to so at that quick a rate because I drive a lot for work. And while I agree that not having to wait at all between books made it such that I hardly noticed The Slog, I can't help but feel left out from all the speculation of the time. I really enjoy that kind of thing, and would love to have been making guesses and reveling in the occasional correct one as the years went on. :sigh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I need to find my "I killed Asmodean" bumper sticker.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hey, this is great. Luckily I already read the entire series (two times, the first half a dozen novels even 3-4 times by now) so I just started to pile in, her sense of humor and her comments are great.

hey wait a minute, this is sucking down hours of my life, that's not great at all ahhh I'm getting addicted to this blogger

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She has got such a massive wide-on for Lan, and I really appreciate that she's just being straight up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

:dafuq: