Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah exactly, where the hell are the railguns in this universe?

Or the hero with a quirk that is just a railgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Put him in a giant bullet and have Snipe shoot him into the sun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why the gently caress have we not seen a Vector Cannon in this manga yet?!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I mean, the World Government in One Piece is irredeemably corrupt, brutal, and exists solely to prop up a horrifically, maliciously sociopathic aristocracy. And they're the kind of government that would think nothing of creating Impel Down, a turbo-guantanamo for supers except with even more disregard for any notion of human rights and a staff that overtly invokes imagery of Nazi Germany in its stylings

Saying "whoa this place is basically Impel Down" is a much more severe condemnation of hero society than you might be realize.

Runa fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 18, 2021

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The final page with AfO proclaiming that he'll be the Great Demon Lord is pretty fantastic with him dragging all those life-support machines with him.

Scholtz posted:

Wow, turns out the unique psychic connection between AfO and Shigaraki has allowed him to no longer be imprisoned.

He's out on bond.

:dadjoke:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I know it’s self-centric to ask “but what about ‘MERICA!?” in this comic book about interpreting western tropes through a Japanese lens, but

How hosed are the flyover states? Very, or Extremely Very?

Are gun’s even more of a thing or have the 2nd Amendment fundies rallied to quirk supremacy?

Is President Beyoncé IV prepared to force offer assistance to Japan in this disaster that the entire world will be looking at?

Is the hotdog still $1.50?

DrakePegasus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 18, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The real world solution to moral conundrums like this is and always has been capital punishment. We as a society have just moved away from it toward a more enlightened stance because we don't have bandits, pirates, and raiding armies prancing about the world anymore. Modern day capital punishments are rare and more performative than functional which is why when they so commonly execute an innocent man due to poor evidence it stands out as abhorrent. All for One is no longer a citizen needing to be judicially punished

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DrakePegasus posted:

It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you that a hotdog costs $1.85

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mxoyDecH68

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

DrakePegasus posted:

I know it’s self-centric to ask “but what about ‘MERICA!?” in this comic book about interpreting western tropes through a Japanese lens, but

How hosed are the flyover states? Very, or Extremely Very?

Are gun’s even more of a thing or have the 2nd Amendment fundies rallied to quirk supremacy?

Is President Beyoncé IV prepared to force offer assistance to Japan in this disaster that the entire world will be looking at?

We’ve seen a little bit of America from the first movie, it’s where All Might fled to when training to defeat All for One. David is an American who lives on I-Island. It seems mostly fine on the surface.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fabricated posted:

The fun thing about the fantasy/fiction debates over this stuff is that in their worlds it's a genuinely tough question.

In a world where people can be born with basically any sort of superpower, what do you do with the ones who have incredibly dangerous powers that decide (and commit entirely to) harming others and destroying society? If you cannot physically constrain them in a manner that isn't consistent with literal torture, what do you do?

I don't really got a good answer tbh. Overhaul's dequirking bullets would be the in-world solution for MHA; removing someone's quirk so they can't just blow up whatever prison you put them in with their minds would work well.

There's an anime "From the New World" that deals entirely with this concept as it takes place hundreds of years after mankind pretty much all gets psychic powers and how do you control all that?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc vigilantes actually mentions at one point that second amendment orthodoxy did in fact get wound up with quirk rights, and led to things getting real wacky for a while

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Iirc vigilantes actually mentions at one point that second amendment orthodoxy did in fact get wound up with quirk rights, and led to things getting real wacky for a while

I think that was a part I reread recently. The idea of Heroes originally started in the US on Rhode Island and there was a large amount of vigilantism at the time. Eventually a tiny fraction of these vigilante's were legitimised purely because they were the most marketable and everyone else became classed as villains as part of widespread quirk usage restrictions. This caused controversy over whether quirk regulation infringed on the second amendment which is still ongoing at the time of the msnga.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 19, 2021

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

"Sir, you can't be using your quirk in public, it's unfair to -"

"THE CONSTITUTION GIVES ME THE RIGHT TO USE MY BEAR ARMS WHEREVER I PLEASE!"

"Sir, that's - that's not what that -"

"I AM A PATRIOT WHO SUPPORTS THE CONSTITUTION AND I WILL NOT BOW TO TYRANNY REGULATING THE USE OF MY BEAR ARMS!"

(On a more serious note, god that is exactly what would happen if people in America started suddenly developing super powers. How dare you try and limit my right to shoot fireballs out of my nose by sneezing??? Who cares that I set some people on fire by doing it in public, that's my god given right as an American! No I will not wear a mask mandated by the DEEP STATE!)

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Nephthys posted:

I think that was a part I reread recently. The idea of Heroes originally started in the US on Rhode Island and there was a large amount of vigilantism at the time. Eventually a tiny fraction of these vigilante's were legitimised purely because they were the most marketable and everyone else became classed as villains as part of widespread quirk usage restrictions. This caused controversy over whether quirk regulation infringed on the second amendment which is still ongoing at the time of the msnga.

This was at least partly a tongue-in-cheek reference to City of Heroes, which Hori played and takes place in Rhode Island.

Also I'm no 2a scholar but I would think the answer at least under current jurisprudence would be pretty uncontroversially "quirks are not 'arms' within the meaning of the second amendment because the closest analogs that existed at the time 2a was passed (...just being really strong?) would not have been considered 'arms.'"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nonexistence posted:

This was at least partly a tongue-in-cheek reference to City of Heroes, which Hori played and takes place in Rhode Island.

Also I'm no 2a scholar but I would think the answer at least under current jurisprudence would be pretty uncontroversially "quirks are not 'arms' within the meaning of the second amendment because the closest analogs that existed at the time 2a was passed (...just being really strong?) would not have been considered 'arms.'"

That’s only if you’re using an originalist method of interpreting the Constitution, which was largely on the academic fringe until conservative thinkers used it as a means to justify whatever they wanted. Arms can very reasonably be interpreted to mean natural born super powers

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s only if you’re using an originalist method of interpreting the Constitution, which was largely on the academic fringe until conservative thinkers used it as a means to justify whatever they wanted. Arms can very reasonably be interpreted to mean natural born super powers

Most definitely, but originalism has defined the very limited jurisprudence on this issue thus far.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

thetoughestbean posted:

Even at Costco?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nonexistence posted:

I've heard this before and always wondered what server and how many Hami raids we were side by side killing antibodies. I'm half convinced Gang Orca is a reference to a prominent PC from back in the day but I won't be sure until I see a Taxi-bot cameo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Even at Costco?

Yes, that is the hotdog in question.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wow the world truly is going to hell.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/stormcallart/status/1352326501627211776?s=20

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
298 speedscans

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vigilantes 94

MIGHT SLEEP

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, then. Nice to have even more confirmation that he's gone completely unhinged if he's having hallucinations of O'Clock approving of his actions.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

:smith: RIP old detective buddy.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Deku is dead, funeral next chapter and series finale for chapter 300

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Whoa. Still internalizing the revelation from this chapter that Uraraka never actually saved Deku during the entrance exam and he's been in a coma ever since he hit the ground. Big stuff.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I know quality of the scans has been known to be bad but god its really noticable when like half the chapter is dark panels huh

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Whoa. Still internalizing the revelation from this chapter that Uraraka never actually saved Deku during the entrance exam and he's been in a coma ever since he hit the ground. Big stuff.

One canon coma theory is already one too many

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Gee, Mineta, if only you had some sort of power to stop people. Some sorta sticky ball thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sub Harrison posted:

Deku is dead, funeral next chapter and series finale for chapter 300

It's okay they'll death of superman him because that's really the only path Deku's incredibly stupid character and powerset has left to go

Just a horrible mullet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give us Mulletku

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Scholtz posted:

Gee, Mineta, if only you had some sort of power to stop people. Some sorta sticky ball thing.

Honestly, a literally-unbreakable grip is probably worse if he won't quit struggling.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Nothing but respect for my president

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's okay they'll death of superman him because that's really the only path Deku's incredibly stupid character and powerset has left to go

Just a horrible mullet.

You know, I wonder if we'll ever get a character that wants to embody All Might's will, kinda like Steel with Superman, prior to Deku coming clean about One for All.

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, a literally-unbreakable grip is probably worse if he won't quit struggling.

:yeah:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Rand Brittain posted:

You just put it on his foot or something.

Granted, then you have Bakugo blasting the floor and dragging a rubble boot around.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its cool that Bakugos going nuts because they wont let him see Deku, which means hes clearly in a very bad way, which is making Bakugo even madder.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am not looking forward to Inko's reaction. :( Might end up being the hardest chapter in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The only thing Midoriya breaks more than his arms is his mother's heart. :v: