Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So here's a question: What do I do with my old computer now that I've built a new one? The parts in it are like 6-7 years old. Do I sell parts of it? Where would you do that? Do I just throw it out? Are there places you're supposed to put computer parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Grapplejack posted:

So here's a question: What do I do with my old computer now that I've built a new one? The parts in it are like 6-7 years old. Do I sell parts of it? Where would you do that? Do I just throw it out? Are there places you're supposed to put computer parts?

Some of that stuff is probably worth selling, what are the specs? I sell my old stuff on eBay and just deal with the chance I might have a bad buyer, the only real problem I had was one person return an item without opening it but I just sold it again for more.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Grapplejack posted:

GPU might be a hot commodity right now.

I usually transfer the data and either convert it into an office-lite/netflix computer for friends/family or donate it to local schools, who usually have a computer lab that likes to take stuff like that apart.

If you're going to bin it, your local municipality should have a drop point for electronics disposal. If you're donating, make sure to wipe the drives and zero them out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If you're going to bin it, your local municipality should have a drop point for electronics disposal. If you're donating, make sure to wipe the drives and zero them out.

If you know anyone who does a lot of computer stuff they may have an empty HDD you could drop in there, I had stacks that I’ve pulled that were never-used data drives that came in prebuilts and laptops I upgraded for people.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Been raking through the last 15 pages of this thread to get a "feel" of the current hardware pick-ems, and went with Reverend Joshua's pick as a base

Reverend Joshua posted:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/txPDfP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.94 @ ModMyMods)
Total: $708.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-23 10:37 EST-0500

Comments, suggestions (especially with regards to video cards)?

Thanks to Butterfly Valley and FreeKillB for their initial replies.

Tweaked some of the components for my 1,000€ non-GPU budget. Gonna stick with my RTX 2060 until the 30x prices start dipping towards the non-stupid range.
Didn't really need the DX version over the base 500 case, but it has a USB-C on the front panel, apparently better airflow, and I don't care about noise at all.

I went with the 5600X over the 3600 since it would be a bit more of a step-up over my Ryzen 5 1600, and the price is still within my budget.

Look alright?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $614.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-29 03:01 EST-0500

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Been raking through the last 15 pages of this thread to get a "feel" of the current hardware pick-ems

Smart!

Looks good except you want a cooler for the 5600x. I guess you thought you'd go with the stock one because you read that it was adequate but noisy, but a better cooler provides more overhead for the cpu to boost to so get better performance too. The 212 is the base suggestion, if you want to spend a little more I'd recommend the scythe mugen 5 or fuma 2.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Smart!

Looks good except you want a cooler for the 5600x. I guess you thought you'd go with the stock one because you read that it was adequate but noisy, but a better cooler provides more overhead for the cpu to boost to so get better performance too. The 212 is the base suggestion, if you want to spend a little more I'd recommend the scythe mugen 5 or fuma 2.

Yeah, looks like I forgot to add my cooler to the part picker list, I got a Pure Rock 2, since I had pretty good experiences with be quiet and Noctua in the past, but didn't really feel I need a higher-priced premium option this time.

Cheers for the feedback! Thread's a solid source of information and experiences once again.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

What's the general rule on open box/used stuff? I always assume open box Micro Center stuff is used unless I can confirm otherwise (display model etc.), and I know RAM is risky and should be tested ASAP, hard drives might be a gamble, but I don't know about stuff like power supplies and mobos for the most part. Is it really worth trying to snag used/open box stuff if I'm only saving $20-$50 here and there?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Hi there,

I just upgraded my main PC and now I'm about to put together a computer from the leftover parts I got laying around.
RAM stuff always confuses me, so my question is;

Is it bad to mix this cheap Nanya ram I pulled from an old office computer with the Corsair Vengeance I got in there already?
The specs I found for the Nanya ram says it is 1300mhz and CL9. The corsair says 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 on it. I won't be mixing the ram on the same channel.
It is going into a P67 motherboard with a 2600k cpu.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

roomtwofifteen posted:

What's the general rule on open box/used stuff? I always assume open box Micro Center stuff is used unless I can confirm otherwise (display model etc.), and I know RAM is risky and should be tested ASAP, hard drives might be a gamble, but I don't know about stuff like power supplies and mobos for the most part. Is it really worth trying to snag used/open box stuff if I'm only saving $20-$50 here and there?

Only if you have a tolerance for maybe having to return things and also if the vendor has a good policy for returns. I buy all kinds of things from Amazon warehouse, for example. Hard disks and power supplies are probably the only things I'd avoid since I want them brand new with a full warranty. Motherboards are a little iffy but generally work or don't work. I've had them die before but it's usually right away or after a few years. The only one I had die in warranty was during the capacitor plague ~15 years ago.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Hi there,

I just upgraded my main PC and now I'm about to put together a computer from the leftover parts I got laying around.
RAM stuff always confuses me, so my question is;

Is it bad to mix this cheap Nanya ram I pulled from an old office computer with the Corsair Vengeance I got in there already?
The specs I found for the Nanya ram says it is 1300mhz and CL9. The corsair says 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 on it. I won't be mixing the ram on the same channel.
It is going into a P67 motherboard with a 2600k cpu.

You can run those together, they'll just run at 1333mhz and the timings of the slower RAM. If it's just a PC made of older parts that's fine. You might even be able to find a matching stick of the corsair stuff on ebay if you want it to be faster.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

See if there are any local highschool robotics teams in your area.

https://www.thebluealliance.com/teams

We still have some core 2 quad machines being used by our team that are still worth using so whatever it is im sure a team would use it.

FRC teams love donations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is a custom cooler really necessary for a stock 5600x? I left the stock cooler on my I73770K 5 years ago or whenever I bought it and it’s never been a problem.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's just loud. 99% of people won't notice a difference in speed performance with a better cooler.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have the stock cooler on my 5600x and I only really hear it if the ceiling fan in my office is off. If it's on it's not loud enough for me to hear it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It’s worth trying, and I’d say start the fans around 60 your fan curve. It’s been pretty quiet like that with my 3600.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is a custom cooler really necessary for a stock 5600x? I left the stock cooler on my I73770K 5 years ago or whenever I bought it and it’s never been a problem.

5600x is hot af. Do you need an aftermarket cooler? No. But the stock will be loud and you’ll for sure lose performance at the top due to thermal throttle.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Grapplejack posted:

What do you actually have? Because even parts that old are selling for serious money, depending on what we're talking about

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've ordered my dream machine (sans a few parts I'm transferring over to keep costs down in the immediate term).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£301.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£129.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£67.17 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (£103.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£76.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £709.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-30 16:03 GMT+0000

The CPU is probably overkill for me but since I intend to keep this machine for the rest of the decade, I thought I'd treat myself.

Would I see a day-to-day difference if I replaced the Samsung 850 EVO I'll be moving with an NVMe drive?

HalloKitty posted:

What do you actually have? Because even parts that old are selling for serious money, depending on what we're talking about

Hijacking this, would it be worth my while selling my 3570K, 8GB RAM and PSU (Corsair RM550)?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

spunkshui posted:

See if there are any local highschool robotics teams in your area.

https://www.thebluealliance.com/teams

We still have some core 2 quad machines being used by our team that are still worth using so whatever it is im sure a team would use it.

FRC teams love donations.

Nothing like this in my area unfortunately.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

GPU might be a hot commodity right now.

I usually transfer the data and either convert it into an office-lite/netflix computer for friends/family or donate it to local schools, who usually have a computer lab that likes to take stuff like that apart.

I think I'll look for the disposal, I kept the HD so it should be fine. I don't think the i7 3700 or the 8 year old ram will help anyone lol

e: I have a corsair 750w bronze that might be worth like $40, I've never had issues with it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've ordered my dream machine (sans a few parts I'm transferring over to keep costs down in the immediate term).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£301.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£129.99 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£67.17 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (£103.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£76.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £709.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-30 16:03 GMT+0000

The CPU is probably overkill for me but since I intend to keep this machine for the rest of the decade, I thought I'd treat myself.

Would I see a day-to-day difference if I replaced the Samsung 850 EVO I'll be moving with an NVMe drive?

Hijacking this, would it be worth my while selling my 3570K, 8GB RAM and PSU (Corsair RM550)?

If you don't have an immediate need for more storage, I'd hang tight. Differences will be minimal at best unless you're doing truly IO intensive work with the computer.

As for the old parts, you could give it a try. i5's of that vintage aren't the most desirable chip, but you still might get a decent amount for the combo. Maybe even a little more if you go through the hassle of selling the individual parts.

Grapplejack posted:

Nothing like this in my area unfortunately.

I think I'll look for the disposal, I kept the HD so it should be fine. I don't think the i7 3700 or the 8 year old ram will help anyone lol

e: I have a corsair 750w bronze that might be worth like $40, I've never had issues with it.

I'll bet the i7 could fetch a bit, people like those as they are a somewhat cheap way to upgrade an old i5 system. Old motherboards can go for pretty silly amounts too. Totally up to you on the amount of effort you want to put in.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Grapplejack posted:

A i7-3770K still sells for a bit, This listing is SOLD items, and they're selling for between $100-$150.
A plain i7-3770 might get around $80. If the motherboard chipset allows overclocking, and isn't utter trash, I guarantee there's a market for it.

I think it's a surprise to people these days that their hardware has a decent amount of value. It used to be the case that 8 year old hardware could barely be given away. It would be like trying to give away an early Pentium 4 when Sandy Bridge was already out.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 30, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm glad you pointed that out, because I didn't think my i7-3770 would go for that much since that is what, a 2012 processor? I'll have to sell that since they pretty consistently sell in that $70-90 range.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Quick question - my Radeon R9 390 ( https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-r9-390-r9-390-gaming-8g/p/N82E16814127874?Item=N82E16814127874 ) is dying - I want to replace it, and I'm not even worried about upgrading, I just want something comparable, because it runs all the games I want decently enough. But I'm out of the loop on hardware these days, and with the current price spike + stock shortage in GPUs, I don't know what to buy, or even where they would be available. What cards should I be looking at, and is there anyplace I can look to actually find similar cards in stock at a sane price, or am I poo poo out of luck?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A 1060 should be at around the same performance level, and some stores definitely have 1660s in stock.

BrownThunder is selling a GTX 1060 in SA-Mart

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just sold the 6 GB version of that exact same card for $250. Market is crazy.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

nitsuga posted:

If you’re near a Micro Center it’d be worth seeing what they had too, as you get a $20 discount on a CPU and MB combo.

Alas, I tried this, went there in person to pick it up, and they gave my order to someone else.

Somehow they mixed up mobos of completely different brands and sockets. And of course they had no more in stock. So some poor bastard picked up a mobo that won't fit his CPU without checking his order.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 31, 2021

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Quick troubleshooting question I'm pretty sure I know the answer to. Just got all my parts in for the new build and was trying to power up the mobo to do a bios update. Board wouldn't boot no matter what I did, tried jumping it with a screw driver and also verified the PSU was good using the included self test plug that had it spinning up. Assuming the board is DOA at this point but open to suggestions for further troubleshooting.

Only things connected were 24 pin and cpu power with nothing attached to the mobo, its a gigabye vision b550.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm glad you pointed that out, because I didn't think my i7-3770 would go for that much since that is what, a 2012 processor? I'll have to sell that since they pretty consistently sell in that $70-90 range.

Even older processors from five years ago can still be 70-80% as fast or so compared to a new modern equivalent. I wouldn't build a new system from old parts or anything, but if you have a comp from a while ago that's fine with a good power supply, you can just upgrade the graphics card for a while before you need a whole new one. That may change a bit with the new pcie4 standard, but computers haven't changed nearly as much this past decade compared to 2000-2010.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I bought my 5600x from a seller on eBay. It's brand new without the Wraith cooler (I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 anyway), and including delivery it's £290. The seller has tens of thousands of reviews sitting at 96% positive feedback. Am I mad for going for this? The CPU was well over £300 elsewhere.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

AK-47 posted:

Quick troubleshooting question I'm pretty sure I know the answer to. Just got all my parts in for the new build and was trying to power up the mobo to do a bios update. Board wouldn't boot no matter what I did, tried jumping it with a screw driver and also verified the PSU was good using the included self test plug that had it spinning up. Assuming the board is DOA at this point but open to suggestions for further troubleshooting.

Only things connected were 24 pin and cpu power with nothing attached to the mobo, its a gigabye vision b550.

I was in a very similar situation to you a couple of months ago, with a gigabyte b550i aorus pro that I couldn't get to show any indication of life when I tried to update the BIOS, but I quickly built it outside of the case and it booted to BIOS anyway even with a new 5600x and an older BIOS revision. I was then able to update it from within the BIOS and install windows as normal. Might he worth a go if you're confident putting it together and potentially having to take it apart again.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I bought my 5600x from a seller on eBay. It's brand new without the Wraith cooler (I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 anyway), and including delivery it's £290. The seller has tens of thousands of reviews sitting at 96% positive feedback. Am I mad for going for this? The CPU was well over £300 elsewhere.

I think this is fine, ebay is very much on the buyer's side in case of any disputes so its not in the seller's interest to gently caress you over.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I think I might have gone overboard on LED's.
Trying to lay out on paper what's in my head. (not shown, a 3rd controller for the LED strips around my monitor that reacts to what's on my screen)

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

I think I might have gone overboard on LED's.
Trying to lay out on paper what's in my head. (not shown, a 3rd controller for the LED strips around my monitor that reacts to what's on my screen)

Be sure to play around with brightness and color.

I like my case lights at 40 out of 255 because 4 strips is bright as gently caress.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

counterpoint turn everything to max brightness, rainbow color changing, de-synced if you can. Make your computer physically painful to look at.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Boxman posted:

counterpoint turn everything to max brightness, rainbow color changing, de-synced if you can. Make your computer physically painful to look at.

For inspiration:

LODGE NORTH posted:

So, I need some creatives.

I have a dual monitor setup, two 27GN950s, but boy, the RGB is loving annoying. My monitors aren't facing a wall, so whenever I wake them up, I essentially blind whoever is in the living "area" (it's an apartment).

It's hilariously obnoxious.

https://i.imgur.com/rcRfhiU.mp4

What options would I have to, like, cover this.

e: Spoilered to not blind people, jeez.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AK-47 posted:

CPU-less bios updates aren't done from boot, it's just a button on the back that initiates the process. A board not booting without a cpu is, I assume, completely normal behavior.

Looking at the website it may already have a Zen3 compatible bios from the factory.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 31, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Now I'm curious - what's the most dumbass, stupid looking, XXXTREME GAMER case out there? Not just lights, but, like, angles, extra bits that look like they'll cut your hand if you approach it wrong, all that dumb poo poo.

EDIT: Like, his is pretty dumb, but surely we can get dumber.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 31, 2021

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I think this has to be a contender: https://www.xigmatek.com/product_detail.php?item=287

Edit: This one also has potential: https://www.fsplifestyle.com/promotion/T-WINGS/feature.html

Gearman fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 31, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I thought the 5600X was supposed to run hot? Mine just has a dinky NH-U14S and it won't exceed 55C in stress tests and sits at 30C idle.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 31, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well the U14S is also a great cooler

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I demand higher temps. What the hell are we paying for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Well the U14S is also a great cooler

I was worried it wouldn't be enough but I'm happy to find out that a CPU cooler the size of a basketball isn't necessary.