Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

GlassEye-Boy posted:

In that case I seems a good theory is that Demandred (using Taim) was working to foil Mesaanas plan (manipulating the tower aes Sedai and the black ajah). Demandred certainly knew where Rand was as he was communicating with the Shaido encouraging them to also attack the Aes Sedai. Demandred and the Dark one probably didn’t want Rand in Tower hands as that reduces the chance of Chaos, and also increases the possibility of Rand being gentled.

Mesaana was in on it. No matter what happened with the plot to capture Rand, she could use it to drive the wedge between the Tower and the Salidar Aes Sedai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah, if you assume their goals are simply to breed instability and destroy unity, it would be hard to think of a better way than that sequence of events.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all they have to do is let him get knocked around a bit and then let him do his own thing after that. literally none of them are able to match his power and influence in terms of sheer effect it has on the land and people around them so they might as well let him be the one to do it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, recall Mesaana doesn't particularly care who's in charge of the Tower and what they're doing so long as they're advancing the overall goals. When Elaida sends the strike force to.attack the Black Tower, Alviarin asks Mesaana if she should intervene so that they don't risk Black sisters, Mesaana flat out didn't give a poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Am I remembering wrong, but didn't Elaida not even intend on finding black sisters, but just sisters she hated and the hunt was actually a miscommunication?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shageletic posted:

Am I remembering wrong, but didn't Elaida not even intend on finding black sisters, but just sisters she hated and the hunt was actually a miscommunication?

You are correct.

Sister, in particular, just Alviarin since she was blackmailing the poo poo out of Elaida.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GlassEye-Boy posted:

In that case I seems a good theory is that Demandred (using Taim) was working to foil Mesaanas plan (manipulating the tower aes Sedai and the black ajah). Demandred certainly knew where Rand was as he was communicating with the Shaido encouraging them to also attack the Aes Sedai. Demandred and the Dark one probably didn’t want Rand in Tower hands as that reduces the chance of Chaos, and also increases the possibility of Rand being gentled.

I don't think they were working to foil each other's plans at all- Mesaana's having her black Ajah goons torture Rand's sanity straight away, making sure he'll never trust any AS at all ever again, and then Demandred has Taim swoop in to spring newer, crazier, Rand from his captivity, loosing him to wreak more unhinged havoc across the nations he controls. The Black Ajah with the expedition being cut down by the Asha'man was completely incidental, because neither of the Forsaken cared what happened to them.

Sammael was the one that was actually pulling the strings on the Shaido, with Graendal's help. Those two were not at all working with Demandred/Mesaana, and Taim's attack was almost certainly meant to prevent Sammael from capturing Rand himself as much as it was to put him back on the board and out of the hands of the Aes Sedai.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Why do Black Ajah put up with their oaths, anyway? It seems easy to sneak in to use the Oath Rod and they all know how it works.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mossyfisk posted:

Why do Black Ajah put up with their oaths, anyway? It seems easy to sneak in to use the Oath Rod and they all know how it works.

Lots of reasons I'd imagine. First they wouldn't want to go oathless because that would immediately expose them when they lost/never got the 'ageless' look.

Second, even if the other Aes Sedai aren't super aware the other Black sisters are and probably keep a closer eye on the Oath Rod.

Third you actually need someone else to use it, so at that point you'd need multiple Black sisters working together who all trust each other enough not to rat the others out for clout. Which describes roughly zero of the ones we see in the series.

Fourth, tradition and a chronic lack of imagination.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 3, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

mossyfisk posted:

Can't unswear without breaking the oath in the first place so you'd have to be really really creative.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Zore posted:

Lots of reasons I'd imagine. First they wouldn't want to go oathless because that would immediately expose them when they lost/never got the 'ageless' look.
Aes Sedai don't know this. They all think it's using the power that grants the look, and assume wilders don't use the power much. Ishamael might've explained it at some point, I suppose.

Zore posted:

Second, even if the other Aes Sedai aren't super aware the other Black sisters are and probably keep a closer eye on the Oath Rod.
The hunters Elaida accidentally set on the Black Ajah got their hands on it ... pretty easily?, but I think they were fairly high up in the hierarchy. So yeah, it's probably not easy for middling Black sister to get her hands on it.

Zore posted:

Third you actually need someone else to use it, so at that point you'd need multiple Black sisters working together who all trust each other enough not to rat the others out for clout. Which describes roughly zero of the ones we see in the series.
Do you? I don't think it's ever used by an individual, but I'm not sure if it's ever said an individual can't use it by themselves...

Zore posted:

Fourth, tradition and a chronic lack of imagination.
It's this. It's entirely this.

fake edit:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Can't unswear without breaking the oath in the first place so you'd have to be really really creative.

oh, that's clever. I forget. What are the Black Ajah's oaths?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Black Oath #1 : to not betray the shadow until the hour of my death

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I don't think it's ever specified but it would be incredibly weird for a ter'angreal created to force criminals to obey an oath to be usable by someone alone. Just for basic security if nothing else so an oath roded sadist couldn't just steal and undo it. And we never see anyone actually use it alone in the series so :shrug:

Remember in the Age of Legends it was considered possibly the harshest punishment they had and used only as a last resort if they couldn't stop the person through more traditional reforms.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 3, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Black Oath #1 : to not betray the shadow until the hour of my death

Whoo, that scene! One of the best in the books.

Vavrek posted:

oh, that's clever. I forget. What are the Black Ajah's oaths?

But yeah, Egwene explicitly wonders what the other two Black Ajah oaths are, but never gets a chance to ask Verin, so I don't think we ever find out.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

jng2058 posted:

Whoo, that scene! One of the best in the books.

But yeah, Egwene explicitly wonders what the other two Black Ajah oaths are, but never gets a chance to ask Verin, so I don't think we ever find out.

I had to check the wiki, which says that we find out in the Wheel of Time Companion, not the main series.

1) I shall obey all commands given by those placed above me in service to the Great Lord

2) I shall prepare for the day of the Great Lord's return

3) I shall hold close the secrets of the Black Ajah, unto the hour of my death.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

th3t00t posted:

I don't have the numbers in front of me but I always got the impression that Taim was in his late 20's early 30's and had been channeling for 5 or so years. He was a commoner and only rose to power because he was backed by the shadow. Whereas Logain was early to mid 20's and had been channeling for 2 years or less and was a nobleman who already had power and family connections. We were never shown the extent of Logains knowledge or prowess with the power before his gentling. It was mentioned that Logain was strong, but never that he had knowledge about the power like what Taim had.

quote:

“Let me understand,” Logain said when he lowered the pewter cup. “You want to know what I think of al’Thor’s amnesty?” Some of the sisters shifted on their stools, maybe because he had omitted calling her “Mother,” but more likely because they despised the subject.

“I want your thoughts, yes. Surely you must have some. In Caemlyn with him, you would very likely be given a place of honor. Here, you may be gentled any day. Now. You’ve held off the madness six years, you say. How much chance is there, do you think, that any men who come to him might do as well?”

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Nothing that would prevent them from unswearing, except possibly the first if they were ordered to.

Spoilers up to book 12:

Galina certainly thought she'd be able to shed the oaths the Shaido Wise Ones forced on her if she could work around having been ordered not to pick up the rod after swearing to obey. Which implies to me a woman alone could relinquish her oaths.

Verin also said she intended to use the oath rod to unswear the shadow's oaths but couldn't find it. I don't remember if it was clear whether she believed she needed to poison herself first, or if the poisoning was a last resort after not finding it.

And of course, the hunters forced Black sisters to unswear those oaths without threatening them with death or anything. They were reluctant but I don't think they believed the hour of their death was upon them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Spek posted:

Nothing that would prevent them from unswearing, except possibly the first if they were ordered to.

Spoilers up to book 12:

Verin also said she intended to use the oath rod to unswear the shadow's oaths but couldn't find it. I don't remember if it was clear whether she believed she needed to poison herself first, or if the poisoning was a last resort after not finding it.

Re: Verin. She explicitly says that she looked for the Oath Rod first because she had things she wanted to do before dying, but when it was missing only then resorted to the poison.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jng2058 posted:

Re: Verin. She explicitly says that she looked for the Oath Rod first because she had things she wanted to do before dying, but when it was missing only then resorted to the poison.

She also says that she's not sure she could have released herself with the Oath Rod:

The Gathering Storm posted:

"Regardless, my first plan was to find the Oath Rod, the see if I could use it to remove the Great Lord's oaths. The Oath Rod appears to have gone missing, unfortunately."

Saerin, Egwene thought, and the others. They must have taken it again. "I'm sorry Verin," she said.

"It might not have worked anyway," Verin said, settling back on the bed, arranging the pillow behind her streaked brown hair. "The process of making those oaths to the Great Lord was... distinctive."

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
On Black Ajah unswearing, the Black Ajah hunters showed us that actually removing the oaths is a pretty trivial, if painful, process. It's possible that one of the oaths might prevent a sister from doing it herself, on her own, but it's demonstrated that they're not inviolable and Aes Sedai are trained to mind-game themselves around the Three Oaths anyway. The hardest part would probably be obtaining the Oath Rod itself to do the deed with.

I think the big thing is that basically none of the Black would want to unswear their oaths. They're Black for a reason, after all. The major reason to want out would be the Dragon's return, for those who aren't True Believers (like Sheriam), but of course once that's started leaving will definitely be noticed and you'll definitely be killed or worse. It'd probably be noticed and you'd probably be killed in any other time too, but it would certainly be swifter and more painful during the period the books take place in.

And also Aes Sedai are very bad at being wizards and probably wouldn't consider it. IIRC it wasn't even really known that you COULD unswear Oaths on the Rod.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Some stuff that are implied:

Being a darkfriend is a deadly offense, if you're a black sister being pressured by non-black sisters, being of the black ajah is pretty much the top of your worries, particularly as they're already playing around with the oath rod.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Not like it matters much since all Aes Sedai just skirt their oaths anyways.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

BigHead posted:

I had to check the wiki, which says that we find out in the Wheel of Time Companion, not the main series.

1) I shall obey all commands given by those placed above me in service to the Great Lord

2) I shall prepare for the day of the Great Lord's return

3) I shall hold close the secrets of the Black Ajah, unto the hour of my death.

What's interesting about that 2nd is Verin isn't breaking that by helping Rand either. She is preparing for the Great Lord's return by making sure the Dragon Reborn is ready to stop him.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Invalid Validation posted:

Not like it matters much since all Aes Sedai just skirt their oaths anyways.

Well, they smooth their skirts at least.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all the stuff about the truth of the oath rod and everything surrounding it is genuinely one of my favorite setting details just because i feel like it helps capture the series as a whole

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

all the stuff about the truth of the oath rod and everything surrounding it is genuinely one of my favorite setting details just because i feel like it helps capture the series as a whole

There were Aes Sedai who lived 300+ years. Can you imagine how long they lifespan would have been without the oath road?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

There were Aes Sedai who lived 300+ years. Can you imagine how long they lifespan would have been without the oath road?

LTT was ~400 when he sealed the bore and in the prime of his life. One of the kin is nearly 600. I'm guessing top end OP users with access to Healing could push a millennium.

Zore posted:

I might have missed someone else pointing this out, but the Oath Rod is totally usable by one person as we see when the sitters bust in on the Black Ajah hunters:

Chapter 26 of The Path of Daggers posted:

Saerin fingered her knife hilt and eyed them quizzically, not shifting a step. “A puzzle,” she murmured. Suddenly she glided forward, her free hand dipping into Seaine’s lap so quickly that Seaine gasped. She tried to keep the Oath Rod hidden, but the only result was that she ended with Saerin holding the Rod waist high with one hand while she held the other end and a fistful of her skirts. “I enjoy puzzles,” Saerin said.

Seaine let go and adjusted her dress; there seemed nothing else to do.

The appearance of the Rod produced a momentary babble as nearly everyone spoke at once.

“Blood and fire,” Doesine growled. “Are you down here raising new bloody sisters?”

“Oh, leave it with them, Saerin,” Yukiri laughed right on top of her. “Whatever they’re up to, it’s their own business.”

Atop both, Talene barked, “Why else are they sneaking about—together!—if it isn’t to do with the Ajah heads?”

Saerin waved a hand, and after a moment gained quiet. All present were Sitters, but she had the right to speak first in the Hall, and her forty years counted for something, too. “This is the key to the puzzle, I think,” she said, stroking the Rod with her thumb. “Why this, after all?” Abruptly the glow of saidar surrounded her, too, and she channeled Spirit to the Rod. “Under the Light, I will speak no word that is not true. I am not a Dark-friend.”

This is the rest of the scene, pasted in because it's one of my favorite payoff moments in any of the Aes Sedai plotlines:

quote:

In the silence that followed, a mouse sneezing would have sounded loud.

“Am I right?” Saerin said, releasing the Power. She held the Rod out toward Seaine.

For the third time, Seaine retook the Oath against lying, and for the second time repeated that she was not of the Black. Pevara did the same with frozen dignity. And eyes sharp as an eagle’s.

“This is ridiculous,” Talene said. “There is no Black Ajah.”

Yukiri took the Rod from Pevara and channeled. “Under the Light, I will speak no word that is not true. I am not Black Ajah.” The light of saidar around her winked out, and she handed the Rod to Doesine.

Talene frowned in disgust. “Stand aside, Doesine. I for one will not put up with this filthy suggestion.”

“Under the Light, I will speak no word that is not true,” Doesine said almost reverently, the glow around her like a halo. “I am not of the Black Ajah.” When matters were serious, her tongue was as clean as any Mistress of Novices could have wished. She extended the Rod to Talene.

The golden-haired woman started back as from a poisonous snake. “Even to ask this is a slander. Worse than slander!” Something feral moved in her eyes. An irrational thought, perhaps, but that was what Seaine saw. “Now move out of my way,” Talene demanded with all the authority of a Sitter in her voice. “I am leaving!”

“I think not,” Pevara said quietly, and Yukiri nodded slowly in agreement. Saerin did not stroke her knife hilt; she gripped it till her knuckles went white.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 3, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Johnny Joestar posted:

The line where the Forsaken mention Aes Sedai "binding themselves like criminals" is such a good, subtle piece of world building.

I do wonder if any enterprising Aes Sedai (Black ajah or otherwise) every had the idea to use it on rulers or other influential people over the years.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Libluini posted:

(yes, because it literally cut their life in half).
I think the companion actually notes the details as far as expected lifespan, and the correlation with strength in the power, where the absolute strongest like Rand or Lanfear would have expected to live for 800 years.

That does bring to mind one of my (many) all time favorite scenes, that isn't really a large one in the scheme of the series, but it's the bit after re-integrating his memories as Lews Therin when Rand meets with Cadsuane and Min to talk about going to visit the Borderlanders at Far Madding. She calls him boy, as usual, and he just sorta quietly chuckles and goes 'Really now, cmon, I'm over 450, and I'm the only properly raised male Aes Sedai in existence, and you're still going to do that bit?' It's just such a funny dramatic shift from everything that had happened up until that point in previous books.

Johnny Joestar posted:

I agree though. It's the perfect representation of how things twist and warp and change and are forgotten through time.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I do wonder if any enterprising Aes Sedai (Black ajah or otherwise) every had the idea to use it on rulers or other influential people over the years.

I think the rod, specifically, only works on people who can channel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

"You may call me Rand Sedai, if you wish,"

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Gwaihir posted:

I think the rod, specifically, only works on people who can channel.

It does yeah. And I think Sammael when talking with the Shaido Wise Ones implies it would only work on people who channel saidar at that. He could well have just been lying though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gwaihir posted:

(yes, because it literally cut their life in half).
I think the companion actually notes the details as far as expected lifespan, and the correlation with strength in the power, where the absolute strongest like Rand or Lanfear would have expected to live for 800 years.

"some channelers may have lived seven hundred years or more", is the closest I can find.

Also notes that the life expectancy of even non-channelers was ~200ish in the Age of Legends.

Long time since I've had occasion to open the Big Book of Bad Art (and, jeez, some of this art is really bad).

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
So I was way wrong on how long Logain had been channeling. 6 years and no madness? drat! :drat:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Long time since I've had occasion to open the Big Book of Bad Art (and, jeez, some of this art is really bad).

The WOT tabletop RPG rulebooks had some cool art, they used multiple artists (I think the same ones that did the illustrations for D&D 3e)

I was disappointed, though, to see that myrddraal had hair, I always pictured them as being bald/hairless. And Google shows I'm not the only one, there's some fan-art that's a lot closer to how I pictured them in my head.

edit: for example, art from the RPG

The bowl haircut makes it look like a huge dork (almost literally), takes away from it's aura of fear

This fan-art, for example, is quite a bit scarier and closer to how I pictured them (except possibly the mouth):

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 3, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

aparmenideanmonad posted:

LTT was ~400 when he sealed the bore and in the prime of his life. One of the kin is nearly 600. I'm guessing top end OP users with access to Healing could push a millennium.

I might have missed someone else pointing this out, but the Oath Rod is totally usable by one person as we see when the sitters bust in on the Black Ajah hunters:

This is the rest of the scene, pasted in because it's one of my favorite payoff moments in any of the Aes Sedai plotlines:

I like the implication that Mesaana, posing as Danelle Sedai was able to avoid detection because the Chosen considered themselves distinct from and above darkfriends

Technically correct, the best kind of correct!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

I like the implication that Mesaana, posing as Danelle Sedai was able to avoid detection because the Chosen considered themselves distinct from and above darkfriends

Technically correct, the best kind of correct!
Yeah, the oath wrangling really was such a great plot device. Tangential, but as a former academic, I really enjoy that Mesaana went over to the Dark One because of the in-world equivalent of not being able to land a tenure track job. It's by far the most reasonable motivation of any of the Forsaken!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a pretty universal factor for most of the forsaken is that they're fueled by pure pettiness

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Demandred and Sammael both went to the shadow because other people liked Lews Therin more than them. Like they were highly respected with tons of accolades... but Lews Therin had slightly more and they couldn't stand it.

I'm not sure if Demandred's 'He was always just slightly better, taller and more handsome than me!!!!', or Sammael's 'He got a promotion that I deserved!' is more pathetic though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's Asmodean's I WILL BE THE BEST MUSICIAN by making it so no one can play better than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there was never going to be any actual competition between them as to which would be the dark one's most favored because it's obviously only ever going to be the one single chosen one who purely just wants what the dark one does and isn't just a useful, deluded idiot who only has power because they're one of the few from the time before everything got hosed up and still remembers things