Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
looks like its gonna be its gonna be 75K->100K phaseout btw, according to politico

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

silicone thrills posted:

Give me back the Succ thread I dont know what to do with out it. im unmoored and posting in threads I normally just read.

you had a brave day, just float on the wind a little

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

looks like its gonna be its gonna be 75K->100K phaseout btw, according to politico

I believe nothing until the legislation is enacted.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

bedpan posted:

I believe nothing until the legislation is enacted.

ofc, manchin could blow it up lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the child checks are going to save them not the $1400

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Homeless Friend posted:

i hope he cites $gme as part of his reasons why the phaseout should be $10-15k

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nonsense posted:

the child checks are going to save them not the $1400

iirc the child checks are converting an existing tax credit into a monthly payment, correct?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Stringent posted:

cool, do riddick

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

where the gently caress is my money

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bouillon Rube posted:

A lot of people’s income has probably decreased quite a bit since 2019

Also $100k for couples is not a whole lot in most urban areas

Even for those who haven't seen a decline, they may have had to spend additional money just to have life function like normal. My wife and I thankfully have jobs where we can both work remote and we spent the previous stimulus check getting what we needed to setup home offices and a space for our daughter to do remote learning. We have some money saved we could have spent to pay for it but we don't even want to dip into that in case one or both of us get sick and we need it to pay medical expenses or any other expenses from dealing with covid.

Our budget is just as tight even with student loan forbearance as it was before. On one hand we're not paying one of our loans during the forbearance and we probably have overall decreased food costs since we're making almost all of our means at home. On the other hand, there are lots of other expenses we have especially related to education costs for our kid. There's also just a lot more wear and tear on our home and significantly increased utility costs from being here all the time. Our electric bill is at least 25% higher on average than it was before. There's also all the expenses related to staying safe during the pandemic (PPE, cleaning supplies, grocery delivery costs, etc.)

Unless someone is mostly debt-free with a high paying job and investments, they are probably doing worse during the last year than they were in any of the time before it if only because of all the things they are having to spend money on that they weren't before. People are almost certainly doing worse now on average than they were 6 months ago so lowering the threshold is just dumb all around.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Animal-Mother posted:

They're going to lose the next two election cycles so bad. All they had to do was write the number 2000 on pieces of paper and mail them out.

but what if they didnt spend the money correctly?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

They're going to lose the next two election cycles so bad. All they had to do was write the number 2000 on pieces of paper and mail them out.

bedpan posted:

And this is an excellent example of ideology, the things that centrists and technocrats claim not to have.

Sending out checks directly to the citizenry as a group is not within the mainline democratic ideology. This is why they are fighting it so hard, even though on a practical politics basis, it is a winner.

Both of these facts together make me goddamned furious and are I am seriously done voting for democrats
I mean I live in VA anyhow but anyone who clings to the party can win without my vote anyhow
gently caress I hate this party

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
they're gonna means test and compromise until the only stimulus that goes out is a $20 gift certificate to applebee's that like one guy in buttfuck illinois qualifies for

then when he tries to pay the bill he finds out the gift certificate's only good for $14 and they call the cops

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Homeless Friend posted:

i feel line sinema is going to be the real problem child in the senate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sir Tonk posted:

but what if they didnt spend the money correctly?

the next stimulus is just going to be direct depositing the entire amount to bezos "because you would have bought stupid poo poo on amazon with it anyway"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

bedpan posted:

iirc the child checks are converting an existing tax credit into a monthly payment, correct?

the romney one was getting rid of a bunch of tax credits in lieu of just straight checks, not sure what will be in the final legislation tho i havent been keeping up the past week or so

which was, you know, what the dems should have been doing all along. instead they decided decades ago that it was best to hide all the good things government could do

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
at the end of the day trump will have given me more money than ol' "2 grand" joe. this is funny, to me.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

bedpan posted:

the messaging is cryptic, but that's what it sounds like. get a tax credit back early instead of with the normal refund. i assume that means kiss your normal refund goodbye and you're SOL if you wouldn't normally qualify, e.g. you don't have kids.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This Joe Biden guy is a real piece of poo poo.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Nichael posted:

:hmmyes:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nichael posted:

butt rump

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

giving 20,000 doses to one person seems excessive

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nichael posted:

He sucks so much that if he got covid it would be like a huge tragedy for the nation and we'd have to spend a few days pretending to be somber so our friends don't ostracize us unlike when Trump got it and everything was hilarious, just like pure unhinged insanity for a weekend

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Both of these facts together make me goddamned furious and are I am seriously done voting for democrats
I mean I live in VA anyhow but anyone who clings to the party can win without my vote anyhow
gently caress I hate this party

this is also an example of why "lesser of two evils" scolding and thinking should be entirely rejected. The democratic party, as an institution, lives and breathes an ideology that does not permit addressing the material conditions of the population, this is in addition to all the other touchstones of neoliberal ideology. We are in the end of history and the democratic party does not see improvement of the condition of the people as possible or desirable.

The more someone claims to be an apolitical, technocrat administrator or a moderate dealmaker, or a centrist that can "reach across the aisle," the more you can be certain that the person is in fact none of those things and is instead a hardened neoliberal zealot.

Sir Tonk posted:

the romney one was getting rid of a bunch of tax credits in lieu of just straight checks, not sure what will be in the final legislation tho i havent been keeping up the past week or so

which was, you know, what the dems should have been doing all along. instead they decided decades ago that it was best to hide all the good things government could do

the proposals being a total mystery until they finally emerge with the president's signature certainly hampers examination of those same proposals

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

My family received a grand total of $5,600 from Donald J Trump, noted TV reality star and hockey puck steak salesman. If the Senile Rapist otherwise known as Crooked Joe does not meet this dollar amount or more, I will have no choice but to not vote for him yet again in 2024 and, even earlier in 2022, I will once again vote straight-ticket Hillary because it's her turn to let me down.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Joe bumdin

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

cope

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

???????

Only registered members can see post attachments!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Is that loss?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

i feel line sinema is going to be the real problem child in the senate

sinema & kelly are gonna be the rotating villains under biden, even more so than manchin.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

sinema & kelly are gonna be the rotating villains under biden, even more so than manchin.

biden is the villain too actually

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

cmpsa?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Manchin rolled completely over. he will be no problem at all.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Homeless Friend posted:

it would be funny if his starving constituents converted him into calories

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Zerilan posted:

Joe decided that if he can't keep his kids alive, no one else gets to either.
:perfect:

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol at the actual discord

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

a helpful bear posted:

lol at the actual discord
it's an admission that he paypigged thousands into that game

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1358967693366468609?s=19

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Narrator: He would not act, nor would it be fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

"i'm going as fast as i can" says man 19 days late on a promise