Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Narzack posted:

Where is all this information from? The manga, or do I really suck dick at watching shows?

Some of it is explicitly stated and you have to watch closely, some of it is inference but strongly supported, and some of what's been said on the past page is just nonsense lol

the manga is an entirely different beast and should be treated as such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Narzack posted:

Where is all this information from? The manga, or do I really suck dick at watching shows?
Everything Tuxedo said but also add in 20-some years of OBSESSIVE fan-work to dissect every little thing, along with non-show possible Canon poo poo like the old series Bible where the Adam and Lilith are a part of a planet-seeding process by an ancient cosmic Elder Race.

It's kind of an amazing mess!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also on my first watch i didn't even get that Yui was Unit-01, so, like, definitely don't feel bad about not picking up on everything the first go-round :v:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also on my first watch i didn't even get that Yui was Unit-01, so, like, definitely don't feel bad about not picking up on everything the first go-round :v:

I can at least say I got that one, haha! But, yeah, I haven't really engaged with the franchise since when I first watched it two decades ago, though it stuck with me as the best thing I'd ever seen. Didn't get into any fandom or forums for it, until I posted a few days ago. I did, a few years ago, read a few issues of the different mangas from the local library. I kinda liked the slice-of-life school one, because it was nice to see Shinji in a happier place. Shinji Ikari Raising Project, maybe? I read a couple issues of the straight manga, and one I didn't like. The one I didn't was kind of the same story as the anime, but with lovely art and the kids had blade weapons or something.

Anyway, long story short, this is the most I've talked about the show and it's interesting to see information that I've never known. Like, what's the significance of the two tracks that Shinji is always listening to on his walkman.

PS never skip 25 and 26, that's for suckers.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wait where is it stated/implied that Unit 01 was made with Lilith's legs :psyduck:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I only picked up that Yui was in 01 in EoE. And that was probably only because they spelled out Asuka's mom being in 02. I also completely missed adam being in Gendo's hand even though the netflix version is the DC. And Kaji delivering adam to Gendo is like a full 10 episodes before that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also on my first watch i didn't even get that Yui was Unit-01,

I don't think she is. Her death might have been a requirement for creating 01, but 01 is something very different and distinct from who Yui was.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pretty good posted:

Wait where is it stated/implied that Unit 01 was made with Lilith's legs :psyduck:

there's like a split-second image of Unit-01 (or some Evangelion, at any rate) being grown out of Lilith from the bottom in Episode 23

e: https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/5548/Why-Liliths-Legs-are-Gone-and-Shinji-Didnt-Recognize-01/

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think she is. Her death might have been a requirement for creating 01, but 01 is something very different and distinct from who Yui was.
Ehhhhh, if there’s one concrete thing that I know about Eva canon, it’s that Yui’s soul is definitely in Unit 01.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JazzFlight posted:

Ehhhhh, if there’s one concrete thing that I know about Eva canon, it’s that Yui’s soul is definitely in Unit 01.

There’s a difference between Yui being 01 and being in 01. I guess this means that in theory 01 has its own soul separate from Yui.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wdarkk posted:

There’s a difference between Yui being 01 and being in 01. I guess this means that in theory 01 has its own soul separate from Yui.
I think that's series text considering the Entry Plug, bullshit about the Room of Gauf, etc. With Berserk mode being the unrestrained animus of the Eva

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JazzFlight posted:

Sure, and after episode 19 so is Zeruel's S2 engine. Does anyone think 01 is actually Zeruel?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

wdarkk posted:

Oh for sure, I think I misread the original quote, sorry. Yeah, I’d say the “beast” of 01 is unique on its own without counting Yui’s passenger.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
poo poo, man, I'm not even 100% clear on what EVAs actually are and what they're own goal is, other than being derived from Adam. And Kaoru keeps calling people Lillin, which i assume is some kind of plural for descendants of Lillith? I mean, really, the confusing cosmology of the whole thing is one of the appeals to me.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there's like a split-second image of Unit-01 (or some Evangelion, at any rate) being grown out of Lilith from the bottom in Episode 23

e: https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/5548/Why-Liliths-Legs-are-Gone-and-Shinji-Didnt-Recognize-01/

I love this show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Narzack posted:

poo poo, man, I'm not even 100% clear on what EVAs actually are and what they're own goal is
They're a biomechanical weapon with no consciousness that won't work unless a 13 year old is inserted into them and bathed in alien menses.

Except for the times they just go bugfuck and start working on their own.

Or when they accidentally absorb their pilots. Or when the sync between pilot and Eva is so great it causes physical harm to the pilot.

I wonder if the official line being "They're giant robots!" was why the Jet Alone was such poo poo. Like a PS4>Xbone style failure of corporate intelligence.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Narzack posted:

We'll do the rest when I get back
misato is toyko-3's aatrek

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FilthyImp posted:

They're a biomechanical weapon with no consciousness that won't work unless a 13 year old is inserted into them and bathed in alien menses.

Except for the times they just go bugfuck and start working on their own.

Or when they accidentally absorb their pilots. Or when the sync between pilot and Eva is so great it causes physical harm to the pilot.

I wonder if the official line being "They're giant robots!" was why the Jet Alone was such poo poo. Like a PS4>Xbone style failure of corporate intelligence.
To be fair to the military-industrial complex, I believe at the time of Jet Alone there had been what, two? Angel Attacks where you could actually see poo poo, and possibly some earlier stuff based on estimates of infrastructure etc.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

TenementFunster posted:

misato is toyko-3's aatrek

Misato is a broken, alcoholic fuckup who lets her baggage destroy her life and ultimately the world, but let's not pretend she's enough of a failure to post on this forum.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the EVA were like the unrestrained maternal instinct of whoever went into them. That's why Asuka's mother completely forgets about her, and Asuka later has a revelation regarding that in EoE.

E: a bit like with Ritsuko's mom and the computer system where she put three aspects of herself into it

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 12, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There are a lot of character's in Eva who want the various horrible demon machines they're building to be mothers to them, and this ends tragically pretty much without exception.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They all watched Terminator 2 and figured why not that, but for moms?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

There are a lot of character's in Eva who want the various horrible demon machines they're building to be mothers to them, and this ends tragically pretty much without exception.

name an interpersonal relationship in Evangelion between anyone or anything that doesn't end tragically

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

name an interpersonal relationship in Evangelion between anyone or anything that doesn't end tragically
Kaji didn't seem to cause Shinji any direct problems

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

That entire post is Evangelion (and fandom) in a nutshell.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pen Pen is a good boy and is everyone’s friend.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

Pen Pen is a good boy and is everyone’s friend.
That penguin can read and drink beer. I don't trust him.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Kaji didn't seem to cause Shinji any direct problems

Yeah but he fuckin dies, that's trajic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, exactly.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

They're a biomechanical weapon with no consciousness

Aren't the Evas actually fully biological creatures? I could swear somewhere in the show Ritsuko says something about all that armor actually being for restraint rather than protection, and we see when arms are exposed without the armor covering them that they look human. I've always assumed that if you removed all the armor from an Eva it would look pretty similar to a human, freaky eyes aside.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Aren't the Evas actually fully biological creatures? I could swear somewhere in the show Ritsuko says something about all that armor actually being for restraint rather than protection, and we see when arms are exposed without the armor covering them that they look human. I've always assumed that if you removed all the armor from an Eva it would look pretty similar to a human, freaky eyes aside.
I think they cyborg them up pretty good... their heads can be replaced, and while they'd be humanoid, I doubt they'd look very human. I remember noticing the entry plug looks like it was put into some kind of a pithing hole.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I thought the EVA were like the unrestrained maternal instinct of whoever went into them. That's why Asuka's mother completely forgets about her, and Asuka later has a revelation regarding that in EoE.

I love how that scene beats you over the head with the shot composition before the revelation.

Also, just rewatching that sequence I noticed the really creepy shot with the maggots.

SUNKOS posted:

The shoulder pylons are referred to as restraints very early on with unit 01. They lock into the giant doors on either side of them in the hangar.

There are multiple instances where parts of an Eva are depicted as pretty much human looking. Teeth, arms and fingernails. I was never clear on if the Evas were anything more than a husk though, I can't remember them being depicted as "alive" before having the human soul in them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SUNKOS posted:

Aren't the Evas actually fully biological creatures?
I went back and forth on that one and decided that the Entry Plug, Control Systems that sync synapses, and umbilical power cable are tech-y enough to count as cyborg-like and biomechanical.

Even if the bits are squishy meat, there's some kind of interface somehow.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fly Ricky posted:

That entire post is Evangelion (and fandom) in a nutshell.
oh, you don't understand a plot point? well have you tried reading this 20-year-old, 5000 word forum post, that itself references and even OLDER forum post?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I’ve read some old forum posts on other sites and it is wild, WILD, how deep people get into it and desperately try to create connections that just aren’t there.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Unit-00 Soul Talk: At the very least, we know whoever is in there really, really hates Ritsuko (or is mistaking her for her mom) in particular

Regarde Aduck posted:

My first Eva experience was buying 2 episodes at a time on vhs

You young shits

Man those white VHS cassettes were expensive as gently caress even for the time too

Little video store at the mall grifting them for $40 a pop

MechaX fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 12, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MechaX posted:

Unit-00 Soul Talk: At the very least, we know whoever is in there really, really hates Ritsuko (or is mistaking her for her mom) in particular

And that kinda points to it being Naoko. It would explain why she goes berserk upon re-awakening inside Unit-00 and realizing in short order that Rei is somehow still alive and now "piloting" her, and that Ritsuko replaced her both as head of NERV's scientific division AND as Gendo's lover. Plus we know second hand from Ritsuko and the flashbacks that Naoko was a massive egotistical bitch who never liked to be one-uped by anyone. Also explains why Unit-00 seemed to have a massive fixation on trying to hurt and kill Rei in every possible way before it gets melted by Ramiel and needs to be completely rebuilt from the ground up.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

oh, you don't understand a plot point? well have you tried reading this 20-year-old, 5000 word forum post, that itself references and even OLDER forum post?

but enough about somethingawful dot com

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The REAL Goobusters posted:

but enough about somethingawful dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The mythology is fun to speculate about but not really important to the core story. I don't get the impression that Shinji understands any of this stuff beyond the revelations we see him have.

Crustashio posted:

There are multiple instances where parts of an Eva are depicted as pretty much human looking. Teeth, arms and fingernails. I was never clear on if the Evas were anything more than a husk though, I can't remember them being depicted as "alive" before having the human soul in them.
Yeah. Like even from the first couple of episodes you'd expect a machine to stop moving when it runs out of power, not to rip open its headpiece to reveal a set of ghastly teeth and start acting like a feral beast

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 12, 2021