Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Rommel1896 posted:

I see that the Patternist Series by Butler is on sale today. I don't really know anything about the series, but I tend to prefer hard-ish SF like the Revelation Space by Reynolds or Fiasco by Lem. Could someone give me a quick non-spoilery rundown on the Patternist books? Don't know whether to buy them or not.

The Patternist books are sci-fantasy with ancient telepathic vampires and an alien disease that turns people into werewolf-like things. The chronological order is not the same order they were written in, and it shows. Patternmaster was Butler’s first published novel, which is not very good (by her own later standards).

Wild Seed is the best book in the series. I’m inclined to recommend that one as a standalone. Mind of my Mind is ok. Clay’s Ark was... uh... she was trying to humanize the “werewolves” she created in Patternmaster, but as an alien virus that makes people need to rape to infect others and uh............................ :psyduck:

The whole series may be the most hosed up poo poo she ever wrote (that’s including Bloodchild). I’m not a fan of it at all, even though I love pretty much everything else by Butler.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

StrixNebulosa posted:

These have been on my to-read for the longest time, I should finally read them!

Morgan who?

I always say this when the Light Brigade comes up: it is a fantastic book but it is horrifically violent and graphic. If you have any triggers related to that kind of thing, be aware. I know it was a tough read for me personally because of that stuff but it was, again, fantastic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I always say this when the Light Brigade comes up: it is a fantastic book but it is horrifically violent and graphic. If you have any triggers related to that kind of thing, be aware. I know it was a tough read for me personally because of that stuff but it was, again, fantastic.

I've read two of Hurley's Nyx books - someday I'll get to the third. She, uh, knows how to write turbo-hosed up things. Thank you for the warning, especially if anyone else in here is thinking of reading it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

StrixNebulosa posted:

Found a review on goodreads and

Oooooh! Ooh yes, okay, thank you, this thing is going on the to-read list!

It's pretty interesting, really. The setting is basically your horrible D&D hellworld where recorded history is many thousands of years of magical apocalypses, undead hordes, demon invasions, necromancer lords, just one horror after another. Until someone a while back managed to establish a more or less democratic state where the collective will of the people becomes an actual power capable of holding the horrors at arm's length.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Groke posted:

It's pretty interesting, really. The setting is basically your horrible D&D hellworld where recorded history is many thousands of years of magical apocalypses, undead hordes, demon invasions, necromancer lords, just one horror after another. Until someone a while back managed to establish a more or less democratic state where the collective will of the people becomes an actual power capable of holding the horrors at arm's length.

The other nice thing is that the author will happily answer questions on his google group, so long as it's not a major spoiler plot point in a future book: https://groups.google.com/g/the-commonweal

So he's chatted about the social structures of the various ilks of human beings, talked a little more about how magic works in the world, etc.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

fritz posted:

It's fantasy not sci-fi but Graydon Saunders' The March North and 1.5 of the sequels are solidly military and absolutely not right wing.

What the heck is it with books I want to read suddenly not on Amazon? I can't find it anywhere on the store.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ccs posted:

What the heck is it with books I want to read suddenly not on Amazon? I can't find it anywhere on the store.

I was just looking too, and they're available via google play and some other services:

http://dubiousprospects.blogspot.com/2018/09/where-to-get-my-books.html

Edit: I have no idea whether these books will be DRM free or in the right format to read on a kindle, which sucks. I'd like to read the book, but I hate loving around with a big chain of format converters.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 15, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

a foolish pianist posted:

I was just looking too, and they're available via google play and some other services:

Edit: I have no idea whether these books will be DRM free or in the right format to read on a kindle, which sucks. I'd like to read the book, but I hate loving around with a big chain of format converters.

As I understand it, google play and/or rakuten kobo offer DRM free ebooks

And you want calibre for converting any ebooks into kindle things, it's simplified the process and is how I read all my ebooks now!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
The Kingshold series is pretty solid and mostly on unlimited. It’s a main book > short stories > main book > short stories > ... series, where the short story collections advance the plot a bit and explore the world but aren’t required reading. The basic conceit at the start is that it’s a kingdom which is just trying out democracy for the first time. It’s worth at least trying the first one out imo.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

The books are DRM free if downloaded from google and they are simple to convert to Calibre and are easily readable on Kindle (I have done this)

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Found a review on goodreads and

Oooooh! Ooh yes, okay, thank you, this thing is going on the to-read list!

Just as a head's up, I quite like The March North but it's sequels go in a veeeeery different direction.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

Just as a head's up, I quite like The March North but it's sequels go in a veeeeery different direction.

the series is, broadly, about figuring out how to make a fledgling uhhh anarcho-syndicalist? libertarian communist? radically egalitarian society work (by using magic)

sometimes that involves self-defense but more often it involves figuring out how to make your canal system for transporting goods between different collectives more efficient

basically the books own and are truly unlike anything else i've ever read, a massive labor of love that the author never intends to profit from and that's full of truly strange things

edit: and it's unclear if an editor ever touches them

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 16, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah - I still like the sequels, but they’re very different (and tbh could use a lot of editing.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand it, google play and/or rakuten kobo offer DRM free ebooks

And you want calibre for converting any ebooks into kindle things, it's simplified the process and is how I read all my ebooks now!

It's worth noting that it depends on the publisher or author; they sell a mix of DRM-free and ADEPT DRM ebooks. It'll say on the individual ebook page whether it has DRM.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I am shocked, shocked to find that Baen’s forum is basically a Parlr lifeboat.

quote:

For example, a user named Turk joined on January 11, 2021, writing “I heard about this site on a few other forums. Conservative but not rabidly or idiotically.”

So what did Turk believe qualified as “not” being rabidly or idiotically conservative? When someone on the forum praised the police officer who led the rioters away from the Senate floor during the Capitol siege, Turk said, “He should have let them invade the senate floor. Time those POS’s faced a little reality.” The rest of that thread then discussed how the riot wasn’t that bad because not many cops were really hurt (fact check: over 100 were injured, a number of them seriously) and “only” 5 people were killed, which to forum users meant the siege wasn’t that serious.

This view was shared by others on the Bar, with user Arun.tblp describing the Capitol siege as a “peaceful protest.”

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Danhenge posted:

The books are DRM free if downloaded from google and they are simple to convert to Calibre and are easily readable on Kindle (I have done this)

I have also done this.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm catching up on a couple pages back but I finished A Memory Called Empire from a suggestion in this thread and I enjoyed it a lot. I guess it did drag at the beginning but it pays off.

Some of it stretched belief - what nation would send an ambassador with no support staff? But the conflicts and plot were very good

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

mewse posted:

I'm catching up on a couple pages back but I finished A Memory Called Empire from a suggestion in this thread and I enjoyed it a lot.

There's a lot to like, what with the poetry and the sad kissing and the deliciously gruesome death of the emperor but I think my favorite part was when she got Yskandr back in her head, because his voice is just so much fun. Next book soon! I'm excited!

Has anyone read Piranesi? I shotgunned it in one sitting and I was riding high, feeling like "drat this might be an all-timer" and then the cop showed up and the real world intruded in a boring way >:| and now I think it's merely good.

I've been alternately slogging through and enjoying The Shadow of the Wind in the meantime. The way Zafón writes about Barcelona makes my soul straight up eject from my body with joy but the way he writes about women (or, specifically the way the narrator thinks about women) simply makes me wish to perish.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Danhenge posted:

The other nice thing is that the author will happily answer questions on his google group, so long as it's not a major spoiler plot point in a future book: https://groups.google.com/g/the-commonweal

So he's chatted about the social structures of the various ilks of human beings, talked a little more about how magic works in the world, etc.

I knew him of old, on Usenet.

E: and what I meant to say is that he was a good dude and a high-quality poster, but wrote in a fashion that often required some unpacking to understand. So that's still the case.

Groke fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 16, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The March North is Good and the sequels are different but still good.

I like the wizards, and the weeds.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

tiniestacorn posted:

Has anyone read Piranesi? I shotgunned it in one sitting and I was riding high, feeling like "drat this might be an all-timer" and then the cop showed up and the real world intruded in a boring way >:| and now I think it's merely good.

I really enjoyed it I guess despite that part of the story (and a lot of other folks in this thread have liked it if you dive back a few months or so to around when it came out) but I can see how that plot development would change your feelings about it. My favorite parts were definitely the first half or so where it's just lush descriptions of the House with the small hints at the mystery.

I actually got my mom a copy for Christmas after I read it (she really loved Johnathan Strange & Mr Norell too) and after she got a few pages in she asked me "so this is a lot of descriptions of statues and hallways - is this the whole book?" and I kinda wished it was.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

mewse posted:

I'm catching up on a couple pages back but I finished A Memory Called Empire from a suggestion in this thread and I enjoyed it a lot. I guess it did drag at the beginning but it pays off.

Some of it stretched belief - what nation would send an ambassador with no support staff? But the conflicts and plot were very good

I am now about 150 pages in and it's picked up quite a bit so I've preordered the second one. As someone who is terrible at remembering names, all the empire people having the naming convention of [Number + Object] is really difficult. If Ten Pearl goes off and does something else for 20 pages, there is no way I am going to remember who the hell that is :(

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

tiniestacorn posted:

I did, and adored it. Back during a previous Piranesi discussion, another goon recommended the audiobook which is narrated by Chiwetel Ejiofor. That was a pro recommendation, his voice really goes well with the story and he does a great job.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Piranesi was really good. Strange and Norrell's best parts were also during the build up, while the truth was still unknown to most of the characters. But since that's such a long book, the climax is only a tiny blip in a sea of mysteries and atmosphere. Piranesi sheds its mysteries a lot faster.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

An update on the Baen situation:

http://file770.com/weisskopf-announces-hiatus-for-baens-bar/

quote:

Baen Books publisher Toni Weisskopf told participants that the company’s online forum Baen’s Bar will be “taking a break” as of midday February 16. The announcement came in the aftermath of Jason Sanford’s February 15 article “Baen Books Forum Being Used to Advocate for Political Violence”, a public post on Patreon.

Weisskopf said:

It’s been brought to my attention by some helpful folks that speech not everyone agrees with, and that may have become unlawful speech, has occurred on Baen’s Bar. In order to fully investigate those serious allegations, and any violations of the Bar “no hitting” rule, we will be taking a break from the Bar as of noon February 16th, and encourage all our readers to enjoy their lawful conversations elsewhere for the time being.—Toni Weisskopf, Publisher

e:

https://twitter.com/jasonsanford/status/1361692536352497664

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mauser posted:

I am now about 150 pages in and it's picked up quite a bit so I've preordered the second one. As someone who is terrible at remembering names, all the empire people having the naming convention of [Number + Object] is really difficult. If Ten Pearl goes off and does something else for 20 pages, there is no way I am going to remember who the hell that is :(

:same:

It got to the point where I was confusing the names of the ambassador's assistant and their friend while they were in the same scene and extended to their pet names for each other

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The March North is Good and the sequels are different but still good.

I like the wizards, and the weeds.

The March north is an ok copy of the black company. The rest is Harry Potteresque and completely boring.
Aptly shows what the difference between self published and published is.
Also, Saunders must be agoon, why would a self published author keep getting pushed here.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Cardiac posted:

The March north is an ok copy of the black company. The rest is Harry Potteresque and completely boring.
Also, Saunders must be agoon, why would a self published author keep getting pushed here.
usenet, not sa.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Honestly, all it takes is one goon to become a fan of a work for something to be pushed here constantly. Then if a second goon reads it and also loves it, that's two goons in this thread going "READ THIS READ THIS" and that can feel like the entire thread, as it's not a huge thread.

Which is to say, good to see a dissenting opinion. I'm still going to try the March North because it sounds like my jam, but now I know that at least one other goon isn't into it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I may have been one of the early March North goons so that may be a red flag for anyone who's read my posts.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Cardiac posted:

Can you articulate your reasoning for why you think it's "Harry Potteresque"? I can totally see it not being someone's jam but that characterization seems like nonsense.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Cardiac posted:

While by and large your comment about self published material is true, it's not always the case. At this point I'd wager the ratio of trash to good is improving pretty steadily towards regular market books. Also just because an author is self published doesn't mean they didn't pay for professional critique, editors, beta readers, etc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've started reading Parable of the Sower (the first Earthseed novel) and for a book written in 1993 but set in the 2020s it is so close to reality that it is kind of depressing. Not that things are like that now but I could definitely see them heading in that direction.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Danhenge posted:

Can you articulate your reasoning for why you think it's "Harry Potteresque"? I can totally see it not being someone's jam but that characterization seems like nonsense.

harry potter but everyone is 30 years old and learning to be a civil engineer

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Are there any new, good "adventuring party" style sword and sorcery books? WotC don't publish anything without Drizzt on the cover.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I feel like I never got a good read on what makes something count as "sword and sorcery" vs other types of fantasy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
"A plot impelled by hacking, slashing, and fireballing" would probably be a fair summary. Like if Lord of the Rings were about getting some money instead of destroying the Dark Lord, and the characters were cutthroats and working class men-at-arms instead of secret and not-so-secret royalty, and they stopped at a tavern instead of Lothlorien to slake their thirsts. And the prose was in a less elevated register. Then it would probably be sword and sorcery.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
The standard defining examples of sword and sorcery, to me, would be the Conan stories, and also Fafhrd & Grey Mouser. Protagonists are not exactly paragons of virtue, they might occasionally do the right thing but are likely motivated by greed or lust, if they ever save the world (or just a village) it was probably an accident.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dragonshirt posted:

Are there any new, good "adventuring party" style sword and sorcery books? WotC don't publish anything without Drizzt on the cover.

Jim Hines' Jig the Goblin series is the best thing I can think of in the past twenty years or so that reads as directly inspired by D&D adventuring parties. It's more comic fantasy than "sword and sorcery" though (party of adventurers captures hapless goblin; surprise! goblin protagonist!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I feel like there's a lot of stories with characters that kind of start that way, but then get dragged into the big world-ending plots somewhere along the series. The main party in Orconomics, for example.