Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Lester Shy posted:

Just had an aunt and uncle test positive 3 weeks after Pfizer dose 1. No clue where they picked it up as they've been doing all the right things since last March. I know you don't get to 95% protection until two weeks after dose two, but this still seems like pretty bad luck.

I think with the variants circulating its going to be harder to pinpoint where anything is picked up nowadays. Given that it’s 3 weeks after, they were due likely due for their second dose but if you acquire Covid is there even a point anymore?

Sometimes I read this thread to stay informed and sometimes I use it to dump my anxieties... After hearing about some of these post vaccine cases, the hope I had for a slightly better 2021 is starting to diminish a bit. :smith:

I’d really like to be able to make solid plans that don’t involve me having mini anxiety attacks every time I leave my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

liz posted:

I think with the variants circulating its going to be harder to pinpoint where anything is picked up nowadays. Given that it’s 3 weeks after, they were due likely due for their second dose but if you acquire Covid is there even a point anymore?

Sometimes I read this thread to stay informed and sometimes I use it to dump my anxieties... After hearing about some of these post vaccine cases, the hope I had for a slightly better 2021 is starting to diminish a bit. :smith:

I’d really like to be able to make solid plans that don’t involve me having mini anxiety attacks every time I leave my house.

Well preliminary data from Israel is showing the vaccines do work, and work well. I think I read they have vaccinated 1/4 of their population, and for the first time since the pandemic started, cases are higher in people under 65 than over 65; because 65+ is the age group they focused on first with the vaccines.

stay hopeful but also stay vigilant.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Blitter posted:

Right, so a significant spike mutation with a very real potential of being similar in aiding escape as the E484K in the SA variant. Bear in mind the A.23.1 lineage just gained the E484K in liverpool the other week, something that has also happened elsewhere. Do you think that warrants caution?

everything about covid warrants caution. speculating about what variant may end up being resistant to vaccines in the gbs covid thread isn't useful.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

liz posted:

There is definitely still a point in getting the vaccine if you've gotten COVID. It's looking like the resistances conferred by the mRNA vaccines are broader, stronger, and longer lasting than natural resistance.

Millions of people have been vaccinated at this point and the positive tests we are hearing about, in addition to being few and far between, fall into one of these categories:

1. Not all doses completed / not enough lag time between last dose and exposure
2. Asymptomatic cases
3. Mild cases

We have, to my knowledge, not heard of a single death from someone who got COVID after a complete mRNA vaccine (both doses + 2 weeks before exposure).

Variants are something to keep an eye on, but so far we have reason to be optimistic about how the mRNA vaccine rollout will allow some kind of return to "normal".

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Inept posted:

everything about covid warrants caution. speculating about what variant may end up being resistant to vaccines in the gbs covid thread isn't useful.

Great, well, if speculation is going too far, time to just add some links to the CDC and some state heath authorities and close this thread then.

Heaven forbid a GBS thread include some kind of discussion or speculation.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh yeah? Well that's MY basketball and I'm going home!!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't understand how telling people to freak out as much as possible is ordinary discussion but telling them they don't need to freak out as much as possible is some kind of police action that means the thread has to shut down.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s the cycle of every gbs thread. Aggressively berate others. Walk it back. Complain. Ad infinitum.

And I for one, love it.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Salt Fish posted:

I don't understand how telling people to freak out as much as possible is ordinary discussion but telling them they don't need to freak out as much as possible is some kind of police action that means the thread has to shut down.

I wasn't telling people to freak out, I was asking a very specific question to the people in this thread who will actually read and understand scientific papers so I can better evaluate the risk that I am exposing myself to. My situation is applicable to probably no one else in this thread, but there have been some great discussions and information sharing so I was hoping to utilize that.

The people who have actually read the paper have come to the same conclusion I did, so thank you for that. I now have some serious thinking to do.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

is this poo poo still going on?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Blitter posted:

Heaven forbid a GBS thread include some kind of discussion or speculation.

speculation about random variants resisting vaccines sounds like it would be better discussed on facebook, yeah

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Salt Fish posted:

Oh yeah? Well that's MY basketball and I'm going home!!!

Hah, actually it was a jibe at the QCS crowd who also found the negativity and speculation in covid threads to be extraordinarily offensive, and a mod who proposed exactly what I suggested.

Inept posted:

speculation about random variants resisting vaccines sounds like it would be better discussed on facebook, yeah

Thanks for your insight and your helpful post.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

CSM posted:

What's the point though, why not wear ordinary facemasks? Do these kind or respirators even protect others? Facemask type respirators with valves don't. But I guess this is something different?

I taped a surgical mask to the exhaust valve, with a little slack for easier breathing. Seems to work fine, I can see the little “bag” move when exhaling. Don’t want to kill any grandmas, even if they’re (by my personal observation) the ones who care the least about this thing

As predicted it made the top of my nose super sore, the glasses/resp combo is rough, I’ll wear normal masks for a few days and try again, maybe I’ll fit it better next time. Other than that, the difference in air is incredible, it really filters a lot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I put my glasses' nosepiece on top of the respirator. It takes a little getting used to, but the seal is perfect and it's not painful at all.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I put my glasses' nosepiece on top of the respirator. It takes a little getting used to, but the seal is perfect and it's not painful at all.

Which model are you using? On a 7700 the curve makes me feel like my glasses will slide off, but I only tried that for a second.

Bought some UVEX protection glasses, when they arrive I’ll try that combo, I suspect they won’t fit at all.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

Right, so a significant spike mutation with a very real potential of being similar in aiding escape as the E484K in the SA variant. Bear in mind the A.23.1 lineage just gained the E484K in liverpool the other week, something that has also happened elsewhere.

Giggling silently behind my mask at how much you sound like my cousin when he was 9 and would only talk incessantly about Pokémon and kept rattling off facts about them to whoever was around.

Yeah, those are all important things you're mentioning, I'm sure, but the same recommendation still applies no matter what strain is dominating your neighborhood: Stay the gently caress away from other people so you don't get sick.

Edit: Also this

Inept posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Which model are you using? On a 7700 the curve makes me feel like my glasses will slide off, but I only tried that for a second.
Did you try some double-sided tape across where the glasses sit? You'd have to replace it regularly, I guess.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they sat a little high on the mask, so you'd have to place them further out then normal.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 17, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Giggling silently behind my mask at how much you sound like my cousin when he was 9 and would only talk incessantly about Pokémon and kept rattling off facts about them to whoever was around.

gotta catch 'em all, bro

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

liz posted:

Better things aren't possible

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

PathAsc posted:

Better things aren't possible

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

so tired of fuckin doomposting get a drat hobby

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Are there any studies yet on corona transmission through mucus membranes and sexual excretions? Want to make sure I'm practicing my hobbies safely (my self and with others, masked up of course).

Is corona stored in the balls or are you safe after a few weeks?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Isn't Pfizer making vaccines out of Belgium or something

Big lol, if true

Nowhere in the world are more vaccines produced per capita than in Belgium.
Phizser, gsk, Johnson&Johnson, part of Oxford and AstraZeneca. Everybody is happily mixing chemicals here. Even the Dutch cross the border to cook their meth and xtc here.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

so tired of fuckin doomposting get a drat hobby

Right, let's flip that frown upside down, and celebrate that today, 500000 less people have to needlessly worry about covid!

Yes, the doom and gloom is clearly the issue.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bape Culture posted:

It’s the cycle of every gbs thread. Aggressively berate others. Walk it back. Complain. Ad infinitum.

And I for one, love it.

Then some smart rear end (like me this time) will chime in, tell everyone to not wear a mask, spread this poo poo everywhere so that humanity dies a fiery gasping death.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Blitter posted:

Right, let's flip that frown upside down, and celebrate that today, 500000 less people have to needlessly worry about covid!

its a lovely catchphrase op

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

400,000 was January 19. So that's 100,000 deaths in less than a month, or 20% of the country's entire pandemic death toll in a single month.

The odd thing is that throughout that same period, new cases sharply dropped while deaths plateaued. I know there's a multiple week lag between infections and deaths, but given the vaccine rollout is concentrated among the vulnerable and you've vaccinated about 15 million people I would've thought you'd see the opposite - increasing cases but dropping deaths.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bape Culture posted:

And I for one, love it.
CHILI BEANS!!!!!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well MY WIFE who has some health issues was at least able to get her first Pfizer shot today

I'm hoping I can get mine before the summer but who knows.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bape Culture posted:

And I for one, love it.

You imbecile.

Sorry. Sorry. I didn't mean that.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The point of this entire forum is yelling at people you fundamentally agree with because they said it wrong.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

smoobles posted:

The point of this entire forum is yelling at people you fundamentally agree with because they said it wrong.

uh no dickhead i think you'll find its for agreeing with people but lecturing them on their phrasing

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

hbag posted:

uh no dickhead i think you'll find its for agreeing with people but lecturing them on their phrasing

an apostrophe what are you some grey forum poster :frogout:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Arising from the ashes of my gibbis virus thread probe because lol can't fuckin doom joke about things being actually bad :jerkbag:

ANYWAY, during that time I found out that someone close to my family who may as well be family has covid. Since the place I live sucks poo poo it's either from the kids school or from having to work. Guess we'll find out about the rest of the family in the next few days. In the meantime, beating the dead horse to my own kids because this isn't even the first set of people/family close to us that's got it. It seems as though infections here are staying at about the same pace or slightly increasing. I have a feeling that once the snow and ice clear out we're going to see a rise in cases here again. There's so much less mask wearing going on now than there was in January, and sanitary procedures have slipped immensely at the main grocery store.

Be safe goons, hopefully it's better where you are but goddamn.

Is it at least better outside the US?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

PathAsc posted:

Lol

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

gently caress

I wanted to believe

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We have anti-masker protesters marching through multiple malls in our city every weekend and no one does anything about it lol

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Well goddamn, so much for that. Can't wait to never be rid of every mutation every year because we have a constant stream of virus incubators lined up and ready to drink deep of the pestilence lol

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I live a 94 year old (fiance's dad moved in with him after fiance's mom passed) and he has been insisting on answering the door for packages we order. I told instacart workers that there is a confused elder at the house who may try to directly accept a package, and I want them to leave the food outside and text me when they are done, and that I'll double their tip. I've told the elder its a workers protection issue for the workers. Today he tried to answer the door for a delivery worker and told his son "I'm not putting on a drat mask" when prompted. I sent another email reminding him this evening. Everyone is so frustrated. Ugh.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blitter posted:

It's loving exhausting is what it is. We're all hurting and things are lovely all over, but people constantly dumping insanely pessimistic and negative doom posting poo poo in every thread all the time about everything just makes it worse.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PathAsc posted:

It's better here in Australia, but we're always walking a knife's edge and running the risk of loving it all up. Here in Melbourne we just had a snap 5 day hard lockdown (no leaving the house except for essential reasons, all schools closed, masks mandatory everywhere outside your home, etc) because we had a few cases of the UK strain slip out of the returned travelers hotel quarantine system into the community. Luckily it looks like we acted in time and nipped it off before the outbreak could spread any further but of course there's no way of knowing that with 100% certainty so new cases could suddenly pop up at any point and we'd have to lock down all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
From the BBC - Covid: Man offered vaccine after error lists him as 6.2cm tall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-56111209

A man in his 30s with no underlying health conditions was offered a Covid vaccine after an NHS error mistakenly listed him as just 6.2cm in height.

Liam Thorp was told he qualified for the jab because his measurements gave him a body mass index of 28,000.