Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Arzaac posted:

Or maybe some kind of stand that would chase instead of you, as a sort of loophole. Perhaps one that rides a motorcycle.

Or a tiny tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CodfishCartographer posted:

I thought it was really clever how Josuke instead got the doctor to pursue HIM to get around the stand, but yeah this doesn't feel like "solving" the stand and instead just getting a rando powerup that happens to be exactly what's needed to win. I feel like there were logical ways to beat this stand - cause an "accident" on purpose to bring harm to the doctor without pursuing him, or switching who's pursuing him to redirect calamity until it's too late for him to defend himself, or something like that.

What bugs me extra is that the powerup doesn't even really have much to do with Soft & Wet, it just gives Gappy a straight up offensive attack and we already went through a full JoJo story with that (Tusk). I think there were ways that the bubbles stealing properties could've been used to get around Wonder Of U stipulations, like causing an accident as you suggest.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Tonfa posted:

"lol jk it only did a thing because it was accidentally in contact with ~soft & wet~ and now she's dead because she's not the main character" was so rude :smith:
Wait, what? Who died?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheLoneStar posted:

Wait, what? Who died?

Nijimura, the Higashikata maid with the angry skeleton biker stand.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nijimura, the Higashikata maid with the angry skeleton biker stand.
Wait, she died? When did this happen?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

Wait, she died? When did this happen?
At the beginning of chapter 104. It shows her Stand crumbling, so she's most likely dead. It's kind of easy to miss, though, because none of the characters really reacts to it in any way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
We don't know for sure because it is jjba so there could be some means of healing but she walked into the room a nd immediately got something jammed into her skull and fell over flat.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just like Hotpants before her, the death was sudden and hard to parse

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

araki has gone from forgetting about the cool women in his plot to remembering to kill them for little to no reason or effect, like part 6 just burned it all out of him

absolutely his biggest flaw as a writer

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean at least Hot Pants was a real character that was used throughout the story. Kyo had one fight, disappeared for the rest of the comic then returned to die in the same chapter she showed back up.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, even just one or two more chapters before she bought it would have been much better. As it is you get a build up to her joining the fight at the end of the previous chapter and then — BAM! Dead.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

For some reason it didn't register with me that she might be dead. Probably because of how unceremonious it was, but I guess that fits with her plot relevance. Given how much abuse JoJo characters can take, I actually wouldn't be surprised if she was alive if it wasn't for her Stand crumbling.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be fair we've seen people's stands crumbling multiple times before and the person ended up fine anyways, iirc. not that i explicitly think she's fine or anything. we also thought she was dead for a while during the vitamin c fight, too.

jjba as a series is very loose about the concept of 'death', i find

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Let us not forget that Avdol came back after being shot in the forehead.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Jotaro: brings Joseph back to life after a knife to the throat + having all his blood drained out and put back in by massaging his heart with his stand

also Jotaro: lol sorry bout your dead grandpa kid, ain't nobody coming back from that, yare yare :c00l:

Joseph should have stayed dead imo

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not even sure Rai is dead at this point.

Since he was eaten by the bubbles maybe you can't die in impossible spinning space?

Also don't rule out time travel bullshit!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think this fight will read better when it's finished but as it is, it's not great by any stretch of the imagination.

Compare it to the likes of Vitamin C (if we're sticking to JJL) and it's just ehhhh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's basically Love Train 2 but it doesn't have 1. Gyro in the manga being a top boy and 2. D4C to go with it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think this fight will read better when it's finished but as it is, it's not great by any stretch of the imagination.

Compare it to the likes of Vitamin C (if we're sticking to JJL) and it's just ehhhh

I'm still disappointed that Damo won't be around anymore. I could have let Tooru pass but like you said this whole fight is very bland. Even the so-called solution went from potentially creative teamwork bringing back a character who really should have been a more central figure seeing as Gappy is 1/2 her brother; to just shooting infinite rotation projectiles without the fun of Tusk's mobility.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

im reserving some hope that the resolution has some insane plot torque that redeems the arc, but... yeah this isn’t working for me as-is

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Crusader posted:

im reserving some hope that the resolution has some insane plot torque that redeems the arc, but... yeah this isn’t working for me as-is

Well, we know that in the next few (in-story) hours, the Higashikata kids are going to be having a very normal time while their nephew drags out the family patriarch in a body bag, and none of those things seem remotely possible right now. Something truly bizarre is going to have to happen in the next few chapters to make it all match up.

(I’m also holding out hope for Nijimura behaving like her namesake and coming back from the brink of death, but I can’t let go of the fact that in the flashforward, she’s not in the picture she posed for with the family.)

Also, how often does Araki do this thing where a character is facing an oncoming attack at the end of a chapter and then they get defeated right at the beginning of the next? I think Josuke and Yasuho might have more to do to wrap this poo poo up still, unfortunately.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's basically Love Train 2 but it doesn't have 1. Gyro in the manga being a top boy and 2. D4C to go with it.

Right, if this is the big long stand fight toward the end like D4C was, it's not as good just because Tooru is no Valentine, Gappy is no Johnny, there's no Gyro at all and Wonder Of U is nowhere near as concise and easy to parse as D4C/Love Train.

I suspect this fight will also benefit a LOT from being colourized, just cuz it's difficult in parts to work out what the gently caress is even going on.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Right, if this is the big long stand fight toward the end like D4C was, it's not as good just because Tooru is no Valentine, Gappy is no Johnny, there's no Gyro at all and Wonder Of U is nowhere near as concise and easy to parse as D4C/Love Train.

I suspect this fight will also benefit a LOT from being colourized, just cuz it's difficult in parts to work out what the gently caress is even going on.
Just want to say; Wonder of U? Really good song

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ethiser posted:

I think that this whole Wonder of U thing has gone on for way too long and is just chapter after chapter of the characters failing to actually do anything. They aren't failing in ways that slowly reveal the path to victory they are just failing until the story decided that they can win. That might be fine if Tooru was actively doing things, but his whole things only requires passivity on his part which is boring. The fact that the whole Calamity thing applies to both Tooru and the stand itself makes no sense and it really dumb.

Him pulling yet another loving bug out of his rear end just exhausted me. Come the gently caress on, dude.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Him pulling yet another loving bug out of his rear end just exhausted me. Come the gently caress on, dude.

The rock bugs are the true villains of JJL

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just don't understand what this Tusk-like ability does or why it obviates Wonder of U or why it can go through the cellular network. it seems like bullshit

I'm partially blaming the translators for this one, it seems really muddled. I really hope another team takes a crack at it after the part is done

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 21, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'll be interested to read this all in one go. I could see the D4C fight being a slog following it month to month too. That went on for about two years if I'm counting chapters correctly

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was thinking earlier today about how a fighting game would be really bad at capturing the essence of any jojo part past stardust crusaders due to stands getting way more weird, so i theorized some alternate replacements for this hypothetical scenario where jjba actually gets modern games that aren't dogshit to actually play

part 4: yakuza/shenmue style game where you can run around and do a bunch of weird/goofy minigames with people and occasionally get into a fight with hooligans or stand users but your goal is to not maim or kill them in 99% of scenarios because that would be mean

part 5: jrpg with investigative/hangout bits in-between 'dungeons'. giorno starts out with mostly inflicting status conditions with odd animal/plant stuff but later gets healing capabilities. i feel like this is one of the only ways to capture gold experience without it being utterly baffling to try and build a moveset around it.

part 6: early resident evil-style survival horror where you have limited resources due to scrounging around in the prison, and you use stone free to do things like set up traps or otherwise neutralize threats while keeping the heat off your back and avoiding drawing too much attention while you get things done. the swamp and florida in general would be more like silent hill in that you're running around more spread-out areas, and would also be pretty true to real life. especially when things like bohemian rhapsody and heavy weather are happening. which also accurately emulate the florida living experience.

part 7: combination mario kart and rail shooter with the occasional detective bit where you're questioning people or looking for clues. instead of hurling koopa shells and whatever at people during the races you're using nail bullets or steel balls. there's also multiple segments/fights where johnny is just shooting at a bunch of poo poo while it tries to approach him, which is probably due to him not having functioning legs. thus the rail shooter.

part 8: disco elysium-style rpg where you do a lot of investigation because your brain is full of holes and also i guess a series of rolling narrative stat checks is one of the only ways i can imagine trying to simulate some of the bugfuck crazy fights in the part.

none of this will ever actually happen and instead we'll get another subpar fighting game made by a dev studio that doesn't know how to make characters not control like poo poo, another japan-only arcade cabinet game that like 1000 people will ever get to play, or some sort of pachinko game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I'm not sure it's actually possible to make a game that truly captures the spirit of Jojo. Yeah you could recreate the events of the manga with enjoyable combat systems, but Jojo isn't really about the combat, is it? A large chunk of Jojo is a) figuring out what an enemy stand does, then b) figuring out how to beat it. Ideally a jojo game should recreate that experience, so I actually think an original story would be ideal - if it recreates the manga, that sense of mystery is gone. The combat would probably need to be more like puzzle fights than anything else, give the player a wide range of tools and make fights a matter of figuring out how to use them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly I'm not sure it's actually possible to make a game that truly captures the spirit of Jojo.

e: this isn't a joke, don't poo poo your pants is a game that perfectly captures the essence of a good jojo battle

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 21, 2021

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I was gonna meme and say that Persona 4 and 5 (mostly 4) could be templates for part 4 and 5 games (again mostly 4) but neither really capture how stand battles work since they're pretty straightforward jrpgs, gameplay-wise

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I’m standing by my opinion that a JoJo point and click adventure game makes the most sense.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I just want RGG to try a JoJo game after getting the FotNS license. Even if I’m not big on Lost Paradise, I think that template would be great for DiU or JJL.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

After watching the first two eps of Thus Spake Rohan Kishibe, I get the feeling Araki really wants to do a straight horror manga.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the main thing is that concessions will have to be made when it comes to portraying the stands no matter what kind of game it is, so honestly just capturing the overall mood of the part feels way more important. even a fighting game just copies over iconic moves from the manga and more or less leaves it at that. it'd be difficult to adequately capture the open-ended creativity of a lot of stands in a more freeform environment like a videogame.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I just don't understand what this Tusk-like ability does or why it obviates Wonder of U or why it can go through the cellular network. it seems like bullshit

I'm partially blaming the translators for this one, it seems really muddled. I really hope another team takes a crack at it after the part is done

I really don't think HWMN's translations are good but I think we just haven't had the explanation of what the shoulder bubbles are truly and they'll probably make these panels make more sense in hindsight once we're specifically told what they do.

To me, it reads as though Soft & Wet ultimately being an application of the perfect spin allows it to pull Killer Queen into this dimension, and because Killer Queen shouldn't really exist so Wonder of U isn't deflecting it because it only exists on the main dimension.

Which is also very Tusk vs Love Train. Wonder of U's calamity is sort of like being able to choose who the victim of Love Train will rather than it randomly going elsewhere, Soft & Wet's hidden ability is like waking around the wall instead of pulling open a gap. If this is the real end of JJL, I'd say it being vaguely similar to SBR's climax is a big knock against JoJolion as a part.

The 2D fighters are definitely the best attempt we've had at a JoJo game so far. Eyes of Heaven was an interesting attempt, but it wasn't a good game in the end. I think I'd prefer it if it were 1v1 battles. The story was kinda poo poo and really disappointing how it just turns back into Jotaro vs DIO despite all the possibilities they could have gone with.

ChaosArgate posted:

I just want RGG to try a JoJo game after getting the FotNS license. Even if I’m not big on Lost Paradise, I think that template would be great for DiU or JJL.

This would be the ideal video game.
Not just JoJo, the medium of video games. Especially with a boss battle with Kiryu as a bonus content. Kiryu doesn't get a stand, he can just punch stands because he rules.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Technowolf posted:

After watching the first two eps of Thus Spake Rohan Kishibe, I get the feeling Araki really wants to do a straight horror manga.

Jojo is a horror manga :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This is just my attempt at understanding what was going on regarding the bubbles but I think it's trying to be the opposite of the golden infinite spin, instead opting for an infinitesimal spin. The bubbles are really string that are so infinitely small that they approach but never actually reach the point of zero. The spin of this property is able to create the bubble-shape that scales this property of "something so close to zero that it is basically zero without actually being zero" and, through that lack of logic, Soft & Wet's bubbles are actually mathematically spinning orbs of a thing that cannot exist and therefore removes something from what it touches.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Stone Ocean especially had some pretty overt horror segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Basically all of Stardust Crusaders were horror references.

Speaking of SDC and video games, I liked 7th Stand User.