Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

alnilam posted:

See this row of cabinets?

Thinkin about getting rid of them. We don't really need the space and it would open the kitchen up a little more.

Is cabinet removal a DIY-able project for someone who's not an idiot with tools but not super experienced either? They seem to be nailed into the ceiling, possibly glue too. I'm guessing it will mostly be cutting and prying the cabinet tops away from the ceiling. For simplicity, and because I think it will look okay, I would probably leave that boxy ceiling protrusion in place and slap some drywall on the bottom if necessary. Making the backsplash look right where the cabinets used to be might a little tricky too. Are there any other complications I'm not foreseeing?

Also the cabinet way on the right is separate, they don't connect through:

Our first kitchen was laid out exactly like that, and it is definitely something you can tackle. Everything melon cat said + it looks like they might be painted to the other cabinets, so it would be good to (carefully) run a utility knife along that edge where they meet the cabinets you'll keep.

We mounted ours in the garage for storage, then used the space it freed up over the kitchen peninsula to mount a hanging pot rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
My dad gave me his 30-40 year old plug in electric drill/screwdriver.

I am not very handy with tools, but every time I use the screwdriver bits, I completely strip the screws. Is it because all the screws of cheap pieces of poo poo? Or am I the piece of poo poo who doesn't know what he is doing? Should I get a battery operated drill that has less power?

Is it the tool or the user? Or is the user a tool?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Fozzy The Bear posted:

every time I use the screwdriver bits, I completely strip the screws. Is it because all the screws of cheap pieces of poo poo? Or am I the piece of poo poo who doesn't know what he is doing?

Yes. Most screws are cheap poo poo that will cam out (slip and damage the screw head) if you don't know what you're doing. Common errors include not pre-drilling a pilot hole for the screw to fit into, not having the drill be perfectly lined up with the screw, not using the right size of bit to drive the screw, and not pressing hard enough on the screw as you drive it. Whenever you have the option though, I would highly recommend getting square (Robertson) or star (torx) head screws and corresponding bits instead. The head shape is vastly less prone to camout, and they're easily worth the price premium over Phillips screws.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

Thinkin about getting rid of them. We don't really need the space and it would open the kitchen up a little more.

Is cabinet removal a DIY-able project for someone who's not an idiot with tools but not super experienced either? They seem to be nailed into the ceiling, possibly glue too. I'm guessing it will mostly be cutting and prying the cabinet tops away from the ceiling. For simplicity, and because I think it will look okay, I would probably leave that boxy ceiling protrusion in place and slap some drywall on the bottom if necessary. Making the backsplash look right where the cabinets used to be might a little tricky too. Are there any other complications I'm not foreseeing?

To add to what everyone else said, they are probably screwed to the ceiling and there is a reasonable chance they are screwed with square drive screws because the cabinet world likes those, so make sure you've got a square bit handy (or just sawzall). That is definitely going to be heavy, so have some friends to help you or just demolish in place if you don't care about saving them.

Can't say I have any great ideas for the backsplash-maybe just cover it all with An Art? Depending on what's behind the cabinets/how the tile was done it may be a little tricky to patch the tile.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I am not very handy with tools, but every time I use the screwdriver bits, I completely strip the screws. Is it because all the screws of cheap pieces of poo poo? Or am I the piece of poo poo who doesn't know what he is doing? Should I get a battery operated drill that has less power?

That 40 year old tool you have a is an electric drill, not a screw driver. While it spins like a drill, it's way too powerful and blows through screws. Get yourself a lower powered battery powered screwdriver (like a Ryobi One+ hand tool) for doing simple screws, and use that beast for when you need to bore a hole in wood or metal. Post a pic of that tool. I'd like to see it. I have a dream of buying one of the old steel plugin drills that looks like a block of metal that has handles that thread in and is just a beast, but I can't find them.

Also, stand behind it and use your body weight to hold the screw bit into the screw, and don't sit in your butt, stay on your feet and work that way. Use your body mass and strong angles to keep the tool engaged.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That 40 year old tool you have a is an electric drill, not a screw driver. While it spins like a drill, it's way too powerful and blows through screws. Get yourself a lower powered battery powered screwdriver (like a Ryobi One+ hand tool) for doing simple screws, and use that beast for when you need to bore a hole in wood or metal. Post a pic of that tool. I'd like to see it. I have a dream of buying one of the old steel plugin drills that looks like a block of metal that has handles that thread in and is just a beast, but I can't find them.

Also, stand behind it and use your body weight to hold the screw bit into the screw, and don't sit in your butt, stay on your feet and work that way. Use your body mass and strong angles to keep the tool engaged.

A modern impact driver is going to be way better for putting screws into things then a 30 year old drill. That's assuming you're putting screws into wood or similar things, and not disassembling plastic whatever.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I tried to find a picture of the giant grey Craftsman addon for a power drill that 1st came out in the 80's, maybe even earlier. The chuck was a little thicker than a beer can, and a bit shorter--but they were the poo poo back then. Had a speed chuck to change out philips vs flat, but most important had the clutch function so it wouldn't tear the screw apart.

Get an impact driver. Something like https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-1-4-in-Variable-Speed-Brushless-Cordless-Impact-Driver-2-Batteries-Included/1001009086

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I had one of these my dad left and I threw it away because it was dumb and bad and not cordless. Years later, I realized I was dumb and bad.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

alnilam posted:

A layer or two of cardboard under or over a drop cloth is really nice to have with stone. Have some kind of brace on the counter to hold the cabinets in place while you take out the screws. Well, if you are saving the cabinets. If the cabinets are going in the trash, a wonder bar and hammer would make pretty quick work of most of the weight. Probably a bit more messy with the hammer.

If the grout is attached to the cabinets like it appears to be, an oscillating multi-tool would probably work better than a grinder. (Little too cramped for the grinder.) The existing edge trim looks like a variation on https://www.lowes.com/pd/Schluter-Systems-Rondec-0-375-in-W-x-98-5-in-L-Aluminum-Tile-Edge-Trim/3772497. Unless you find matching tile/want to do a lot of work--you won't be able to install the edge trim correctly. More than likely you'll have to figure out how to cut it cleanly and glue it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those are average to mid-grade custom cabinets from the '50s-early 60s. I have them in my kitchen. Solid wood everywhere, no pressboard. Solid-wood cabinets cost a fortune now.

They are a single-block, and they are not as heavy as you may think since they're made from fairly thin sheets. I would remove the doors & shelves first, that'll cut the weight plus they won't be swinging and banging around when you're lowering the unit.

As noted, they're screwed to framing above, but unless they've been detached & reset in the last thirty years, they'll be these big honkin' slotted wood screws.

If you aren't reusing them, consider ReStore or at least a curb alert. It would be a shame to lose them. If you are gong to toss them, I would like dibs on the hinges and their screws. I'm running out of those hinges and those little weird-flush hinge screws are impossible to find.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Fun. We missed some sand in a water bottle or something yesterday and now all of the tracks in our dishwasher are gritty. Anything beyond the tracks, sprayer arms, and filter I should be trying to disassemble to? Really hoping it's not stuck in in motor/impeller. Any protips on getting the tracks off the side or cleaning them in place?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

HycoCam posted:

I tried to find a picture of the giant grey Craftsman addon for a power drill that 1st came out in the 80's, maybe even earlier. The chuck was a little thicker than a beer can, and a bit shorter--but they were the poo poo back then. Had a speed chuck to change out philips vs flat, but most important had the clutch function so it wouldn't tear the screw apart.

Get an impact driver. Something like https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-1-4-in-Variable-Speed-Brushless-Cordless-Impact-Driver-2-Batteries-Included/1001009086

I had a bunch of work done in my house by some contractors last fall, and they all used that same tool (or the Ryobi One+ equivilent) for all the screws they were putting in. I thought it was odd. I actually have two of them, but I didn't give them any thought, figuring they were just impact drivers for doing concrete work. I got them out and I was really impressed by how much better they do screws, specially in drywall.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I painted an "homage" of another artist (the name of whom I have forgotten) more than a decade ago and just rediscovered it during a move.

Homage to Unknown Artist, acrylic on cardboard

This thing is a honking 39"x 27.75" beast and I would really like to get it framed, however all my Googling shows a lot of cheap looking poster frames. Is there a go-to place for nice looking frames made from wood and glass instead of acrylic and plastic frames? I remember working hard on this and I love the bright colors, I feel it deserves to be shown rather than forgotten in a closet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I painted an "homage" of another artist (the name of whom I have forgotten) more than a decade ago and just rediscovered it during a move.

This thing is a honking 39"x 27.75" beast and I would really like to get it framed, however all my Googling shows a lot of cheap looking poster frames. Is there a go-to place for nice looking frames made from wood and glass instead of acrylic and plastic frames? I remember working hard on this and I love the bright colors, I feel it deserves to be shown rather than forgotten in a closet.

I've had luck with Michael's and a coupon - don't go in there at MSRP it will cost you like $1000 to frame that. I think my most recent framing was like 70% off. We used to use Aaron Brothers. If you aren't happy with their selection you can go to a dedicated framing store, and it will against cost like $1000. If you have specific backing, glue process, and glass you want then you might just have to bite the bullet at a dedicated framing store.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Professor Shark posted:

Big box places like Michaels have framing departments, and there are probably a bunch of dedicated framing stores around you. Just be ready to pay :10bux:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Framing ain't cheap
Dirt cheap option that requires luck is buying lovely art at a thrift store for a buck and using the frame. Doubt you'll find something that big
Cheapest option is a custom frame shop online
Medium option is an art supply store. Michaels does frames, your local indy art supply store probably does too
Expensive option is a specialty frame shop, there are almost some near you

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Thanks, will put this on my wish list.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Looks like it is from the 90's, so I guess 30 years old?

Thanks for the help everyone.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Thanks, will put this on my wish list.

Just wanted to say that dewalt cordless impact is extremely loud - I own one. It's too loud to use in an apartment for example. The dewalt cordless DRILL is actually a better fit:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-1-2-in-Brushless-Cordless-Drill-Charger-Included/1000135807

If you're going to be working outdoors or with big fasteners where you need the impact then it's great.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

99% of what I do is drill holes/screw into 2x4's to hang art/mirrors in my house. Or build wooden raised garden beds/pergola. Stuff like that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Lawnie posted:

I’m going to be running cat-6 cable through the walls of my house. What kind of specs for the cable are important to shop for? I’m probably going to try to find a crimper to borrow so I’ll buy the cable in bulk.

I’m planning on running one cat-6 cable to a switch in the attic, then several to ports in a few places around the house. Can I use the same holes in the top plate that the Romex or other wiring uses to run cables to outlet boxes in the same stud bay, or is it important to have separate holes for each? I haven’t gone up to look yet, but there’s definitely already some coax run in at least one place I want to put a port, so I’ll probably use whatever openings are already there for that port, but there are others in new locations I’m not so sure about.

Another question: while I’m at it I’m also going to be running speaker wire for a couple surround sound speakers through the attic. What’s the best practice for poking speaker wire through the drywall, both from the receiver into the stud bay and also back out to the speakers? It doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that needs a box, but I’m afraid I’m in the area of “knowledge enough to know the terms and tools but not the requirements” for wiring projects.

How is that switch going to hold up to the heat of summer? Anyway, you'll want riser rated cat6, the cheapest kind.

You generally don't want to run any low voltage cables in parallel against line voltage cables. The reason is that it causes interference. Drill a second hole. Low voltage sharing holes is fine though.

Old work low voltage rings are awesome for fishing wires in walls. They let you cut a hole in the wall big enough to reach your hand in, then a regular electrical face plate screws into the ring. For speakers, a 2 port keystone plate along with banana jacks work well. You may want to invest in a set of fiberglass wire fishing rods AKA fish sticks also. Fish sticks let you push as well as pull wire. Use electrical tape and tape a full foot of wire to the rod. Buy some extra rolls of tape if you have a lot of runs. You'll go through tape like candy.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

How is that switch going to hold up to the heat of summer? Anyway, you'll want riser rated cat6, the cheapest kind.

You generally don't want to run any low voltage cables in parallel against line voltage cables. The reason is that it causes interference. Drill a second hole. Low voltage sharing holes is fine though.

Old work low voltage rings are awesome for fishing wires in walls. They let you cut a hole in the wall big enough to reach your hand in, then a regular electrical face plate screws into the ring. For speakers, a 2 port keystone plate along with banana jacks work well. You may want to invest in a set of fiberglass wire fishing rods AKA fish sticks also. Fish sticks let you push as well as pull wire. Use electrical tape and tape a full foot of wire to the rod. Buy some extra rolls of tape if you have a lot of runs. You'll go through tape like candy.

Max operating temperature for the switch i purchased is 104*F, what temperature should I expect my attic to be during the summer? High 90’s? Hotter? If that’s the case then I’ll just put the switch with the router in the living area and run from that. It’s just more ports in a plate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Max operating temperature for the switch i purchased is 104*F, what temperature should I expect my attic to be during the summer? High 90’s? Hotter? If that’s the case then I’ll just put the switch with the router in the living area and run from that. It’s just more ports in a plate.

My attic in california is probably 20+F hotter than ambient. Which could be as crispy as 120F ambient. Hoping to add a ridge vent to help with that when we redo the roof. If your summer heat is into the 90s you should expect premature failure of that device. Combined with the general dustyness of most attics you are either going to want an industrial scoped switch, or to put it somewhere that isn't your attic. Do you have a high ceiling in a close you could screw it to? It could literally be upside down on a piece of plywood on the ceiling somewhere in the conditioned space.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I bought an orbital sander and it came with three soft pads that stick to the velcro instead of being screwed in like the sandpaper. A white one, a twice as thick yellow, and one that's about an inch thick orange foam with nubs. What are they for?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

I bought an orbital sander and it came with three soft pads that stick to the velcro instead of being screwed in like the sandpaper. A white one, a twice as thick yellow, and one that's about an inch thick orange foam with nubs. What are they for?

Maybe for polishing?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i've got a drippy faucet in the kitchen. I bought a rebuild kit from Home Depot, and have to shut the water off. I have PTSD from using the under-sink shutoff valves at another place I lived, the moment I touched them they immediately started leaking. Should I be brave and give them a try, or should I just shut the whole house off at the supply line (I've done this a few times)? Our plumbing is original 1950's galvanized pipe, the shut offs might be newer, but it's hard to tell.

Edit: Took a photo of the shut offs. They definitely look newer than the pipe they're mounted on:

H110Hawk posted:

I've had luck with Michael's and a coupon - don't go in there at MSRP it will cost you like $1000 to frame that. I think my most recent framing was like 70% off. We used to use Aaron Brothers. If you aren't happy with their selection you can go to a dedicated framing store, and it will against cost like $1000. If you have specific backing, glue process, and glass you want then you might just have to bite the bullet at a dedicated framing store.

Why is framing stuff so expensive? Is it the materials? None of the components on their own seem that expensive, but whenever I get a quote to have someone do it for me I can't believe it.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 8, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

frogbs posted:

Why is framing stuff so expensive? Is it the materials? None of the components on their own seem that expensive, but whenever I get a quote to have someone do it for me I can't believe it.

It's labor intensive, high risk (if you make a mistake and destroy artwork), and it's VERY low volume. The frame store on the corner has bills to pay despite probably averaging 1 frame a day on a good day. At least, that's my guess.)

frogbs posted:

Our plumbing is original 1950's galvanized pipe, the shut offs might be newer, but it's hard to tell.

Edit: Took a photo of the shut offs. They definitely look newer than the pipe they're mounted on:

You're on 20 years of borrowed time. You should be prepared to turn off at the curb even if you do not turn off at the curb. Those do look newer but they're not quarter turn. You could be snapping something behind the drywall regardless.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 8, 2021

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Yeah do that. It will be easier to access in the future as well. It gets hot enough in attics during the summer around here to melt candles. Hawk had a good suggestion. Expect your attic temps to be 20 degrees hotter than the outdoors temp.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Suggestions for cutting corrugated sheet metal? Only doing straight cuts. I have an oscillating tool and a circular saw.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Suggestions for cutting corrugated sheet metal? Only doing straight cuts. I have an oscillating tool and a circular saw.

Tin snips.

Metal cutting blade in your circular saw if you like noise and danger.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A really great and nice solo contractor just did a few grand of work at our new house and was awesome. Is it customary to tip a contractor? I have no idea.

I did send him home with several loaves of homemade bread :colbert:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

alnilam posted:

A really great and nice solo contractor just did a few grand of work at our new house and was awesome. Is it customary to tip a contractor? I have no idea.

If you paid their price without grinding them down on it that's sufficient. Bread is a great perk.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

The best tip you can give your good contractor is to recommend them to friends/family/etc and call them back when you need more work

Bread/beer/wine etc is great too and makes you stand out as a good client imo. Extra money maybe feels like ‘you don’t know how to price your own work,’ but also I don’t think anyone would complain. Don’t be surprised if they magically get more expensive next time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

To add. Ask for a stack of their cards so you can provide others their details. And leave reviews.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I am looking into buying a small air compressor for filling up tires and running an angle grinder. I keep seeing the gallon size of the tank and how many PSI it can provide. If I bought a small compressor and started buying electric tools instead of pneumatic would I be making a smart buy?

I wonder if the electric / battery tools are better?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stinkypete posted:

I am looking into buying a small air compressor for filling up tires and running an angle grinder. I keep seeing the gallon size of the tank and how many PSI it can provide. If I bought a small compressor and started buying electric tools instead of pneumatic would I be making a smart buy?

Pneumatic tools have their place, but by asking this question, you (and i) are not someone who needs them.

Compressors are fantastic for filling tires, blowing air at things, and running nailers.

Anything else you're better off with electric.

What tools are you looking for other than an angle grinder?

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

stealie72 posted:

Pneumatic tools have their place, but by asking this question, you (and i) are not someone who needs them.

Compressors are fantastic for filling tires, blowing air at things, and running nailers.

Anything else you're better off with electric.

What tools are you looking for other than an angle grinder?

Automotive mainly, Pneumatic's were king 20 years ago from what I remember but I have been hearing electric is the way to go now.

What brand is good for electric these days?

I am still going to stay with jack stands and hydraulic jacks to raise my jeep while I get back into wrenching again.

I am up to any advice. Thanks in Advance.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stinkypete posted:

You need to be comitted to a decent size tank if you wanna run air tools like a grinder or a metal nibbler, or impact wrench.

You can get some good torque and use out of compressed air tools but you're going to need around a 20 gallon compressor rated at around 4cfm at ~80 psi to get any use out of it. 50 is probably a bit more realistic depending on how often you want it to run.

Or as stealie said go electric, you can get some good lectric and battery powered impact wrenches and grinders etc without going air. Grab a pancake for running your trim nailer occasionally and to fill tires.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

tater_salad posted:

You need to be comitted to a decent size tank if you wanna run air tools like a grinder or a metal nibbler, or impact wrench.

You can get some good torque and use out of compressed air tools but you're going to need around a 20 gallon compressor rated at around 4cfm at ~80 psi to get any use out of it. 50 is probably a bit more realistic depending on how often you want it to run.

Or as stealie said go electric, you can get some good lectric and battery powered impact wrenches and grinders etc without going air. Grab a pancake for running your trim nailer occasionally and to fill tires.

Thank you, that helps me with my decision.

Edit:
I did some painting and the Graco Magnum x5 was a pretty good airless sprayer. I just do not like masking and taping. Any masking and taping tips?

stinkypete fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 9, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stinkypete posted:

Automotive mainly, Pneumatic's were king 20 years ago

20 years ago we didn't have modern lithium ion batteries. The difference between those and your 30 year old makita nicd tool is life changing. You'll wonder how you ever got around with hoses and cords holding you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

H110Hawk posted:

20 years ago we didn't have modern lithium ion batteries. The difference between those and your 30 year old makita nicd tool is life changing. You'll wonder how you ever got around with hoses and cords holding you back.

I have some reading and research to do. Thanks for your reply.

I am going to start reading about battery powered tools.