Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

FYI, Amazon is now delivering this new Blood Angels anthology. It's got a ton of content including 7 shorts that haven't been in print before. BL announced this a few months ago, but for some reason they haven't started selling it and it isn't even on their site even though Amazon is already shipping copies. It's got a phenomenal cover.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1800260032/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_M060QRF9GMN6SYBGG9HE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

The Strange Demise of Titus Endor by Abnett is the best piece of 40K fiction I've ever read and it stands entirely on its own (though it spoils a minor plot point from IIRC the second or third Eisenhorn book).

I read a rumor that after it was published, GW decided that they didn't want to ever put out anything so high-brow and depressing again in BL. If true, that would be incredibly disappointing.

This story absolutely whips rear end and I encourage anyone who hasn't read it to read it.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Is there a good resource for plot summaries of Black Library books or more specifically Pariah? I want to read Penitent soon, but that would definitely benefit from a bit of a refresher.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Pariah's pretty short remember. Could just reread it, that's what I'm doing now.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Badly Jester posted:

Is there a good resource for plot summaries of Black Library books or more specifically Pariah? I want to read Penitent soon, but that would definitely benefit from a bit of a refresher.

In the first few chapters of Penitent, Beta basically recaps everything / everyone you need to know. It's very cheesy from a literary point of view but it definitely saved me from having to look up any names.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Question on the penitent stuff. So if Constantine is 119 and that’s supposed to be 1110111 in binary is anyone presenting theories on who would represent the next steps in that pattern?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

NihilCredo posted:

In the first few chapters of Penitent, Beta basically recaps everything / everyone you need to know. It's very cheesy from a literary point of view but it definitely saved me from having to look up any names.

Thanks, that's good to know and will most likely be enough of a refresher.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Do navigators have a literal third eyeball in the centers of their foreheads that kills people who look at it?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Silly Newbie posted:

Do navigators have a literal third eyeball in the centers of their foreheads that kills people who look at it?

I believe it is described more as an obsidian like eye shaped stone. I think only the most inbred/pure navigators have it, low grade navigators can lack it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Third eye is implied to look like a normal eye until they get older, than it turns into a hard black orb.

All navigators have a third eye. It's whats let
them navigate. It is literally the defining trait of having the Navigator gene.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 17, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Can't remember which book it's in, where a navigator is described as having the edges of their eye with singed flesh after a particularly long warp translation.

And the navigator themselves talks about the things that look back at them from the abyss, per the Neetcheez quote.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Definitely read Rites of Passage for tons of good Navigator lore and a great story and main character too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Coming in April, hnnnnnnngggg

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Want it

As well as the Ghaz book

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

That's gonna look great next to Mark of Faith, Celestine, and Ephrael Stern. I am excited about the Ghazghkull book although I think the LE itself doesn't look that great. Nate Crowley has only done a couple of short stories for BL, both of which were good but nothing special. I am cautiously optimistic that they wouldn't have given him such an important character that has never had any fiction and also a 2k LE run if it wasn't good.

Ravenor II looks awesome and will match the first very well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The gently caress did you just say about Severed not being anything special?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Maybe they're just not into romance

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ah didn't realize he did that one and I haven't read it. Was talking about his two short stories.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I cannot recommend it highly enough. It had me considering headingback to the store to buy Necron toys it is that good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the EYE Divine Cybermancy developers who did Space Hulk Deathwing apparently got another shot at 40K doing a Necromunda FPS.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/22335758/warhammer-40k-necromunda-hired-gun-leak-xbox-one-series-x-first-person-shooter

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How good are the audiobooks for the Night Lords? I've been really impressed by the one for Helsreach and they're by the same narrator. Worth the audible credits?

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
If you liked Helsreach you'll like the Night Lords series.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the EYE Divine Cybermancy developers who did Space Hulk Deathwing apparently got another shot at 40K doing a Necromunda FPS.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/22335758/warhammer-40k-necromunda-hired-gun-leak-xbox-one-series-x-first-person-shooter

yeah. it being single player gives me hope that its just weird cool game with lots of cool upgrades.

are any of the necromunda books good?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arcsquad12 posted:

It’s annoying that they’re great for Warhammer but they hosed up hard on Deathwing. Just do EYE again!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. it being single player gives me hope that its just weird cool game with lots of cool upgrades.

Road to Redemption (Mike Brooks) I liked. Terminal Overkill was fine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Khizan posted:

How good are the audiobooks for the Night Lords? I've been really impressed by the one for Helsreach and they're by the same narrator. Worth the audible credits?

Really good. I listened to them all even though I own the book... the narrator does a really good "Nostraman" accent.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Really good. I listened to them all even though I own the book... the narrator does a really good "Nostraman" accent.

The Nostraman accent is a thick sterotypical Italian accent and I will not hear otherwise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Sinner's Bounty was alright, and the Low Lives novella was fun.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Khizan posted:

Different narrator actually but still real dang good.

The Night Lords all sounding like mafia is really fitting and I can't un-hear it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Oh, drat. I thought I was searching by narrator, but was instead searching by author. Still going to get them, though. The Night Lords books are probably my favorite bit of 40k.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Khizan posted:

Oh, drat. I thought I was searching by narrator, but was instead searching by author. Still going to get them, though. The Night Lords books are probably my favorite bit of 40k.

You are not alone in that buddy

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Finally finished Penitent. So, so, so glad I avoided spoilers.
First of all: it's amazing. I love this style of prose. Abnett is really pushing himself lately, and it shows.
I don't actually think, from a craft perspective, it's Abnett's best book-- I think that's still Saturnine-- but it's very, very good. Really, the only thing holding it back is being part of a trilogy, and the second part at that. The trilogy, when considered as a whole, will almost certainly end up being Abnett's magnum opus.

Spoiler thoughts:
The one disappointment in this book is how little they did with Deathrow/Alpharius. I don't think he's the primarch-- I think that's one reveal too many-- but I do think he's loyal to the primarch's plan in a way that most Legionnaires aren't. More on this later.

I definitely think Valdor and pals are trying to set up a "third way" faction, one that balances between rejection of the Warp and domination by it. This is constantly hinted at in the HH/SoT books. The lynchpin, to me, is what Alpharius says in Legion when he first meets Namatjira. "It is better to manage and maintain the flaws of man on an ongoing basis." At the end of that book, he supposedly embraces a utopian plan to exterminate Chaos via mass sacrifice of humanity-- after explicitly rejecting utopianism earlier in the book. So it's quite obvious from the start that Alpharius isn't doing what he claims he's doing. Duh, that's his thing. "It is better to manage and maintain the flaws of Chaos on an ongoing basis" is not much of a leap at all from the stuff he says in Legion.

So let's do a roll call of who's on the team:
-Alpha Legion. If they're involved in this, obviously they placed Deathrow in a situation where Eisenhorn would employ him, in order to keep an eye on a threat against their plan.
-CV, obviously, and his legion of pariahs. He needs lots of pariahs if he's building a literal city in the Warp/
-Who else has espoused this doctrine? Who else has the initials CV? Cyrene Valantion. And by extension, Grammaticus and potentially Erda/Oll/Leetu.
-Lilean Chase? Maybe? She's gotta be someone specific. Personally, I think she's Erda. But clearly some of the Cognitae (just like some of the Alpha Legion) are just straight-up Chaos worshippers. There's a hint, though, that there's more to them than that. Zygmunt Molotch wanted to stop Slyte, after all.
-Here's my wild-rear end guess: Lorgar. Lorgar has withdrawn from the activities of his Legion beyond any other Chaos primarch. Lorgar is soulful, empathic, and wants humanity to thrive-- he embraced Chaos in the first place because he thought that was the only way for the species to move forward. And Lorgar is probably disillusioned after the Chaos Gods backed Horus against him during his coup attempt and exiled him. Zardu Layak asks in Slaves to Darkness "do the Gods want us to win?" and the answer, which he didn't receive, is probably no. The Chaos Gods wanted Horus to die (the Sacrificed King), they wanted the Emperor enshrined in the Throne, because they saw the same thing the Cabal did: victory was defeat, Horus's victory would lead to the extinction of Chaos, but the Emperor's pyrrhic victory leads to the creeping victory of Chaos.

So imagine you're Lorgar. You pledge yourself to the Chaos Gods because you see them as the only way the species can survive. You imagine a thriving, glorious Empire of Chaos. And then you find out that not only is your champion going to fail and lead to a stagnant, collapsing dystopia, but the Gods you pledged to want him to. That's their plan! They don't give a poo poo about uplifting humanity to the beautiful metaphysics of Chaos! They just wanna smash everything up so they can roll around in the garbage.

You meditate on this. For thousands of years. Not hard to imagine that you decide a third way is superior.

So yeah. This is absolutely nuts. I will honestly be disappointed if they're not setting up a new faction, if this all gets resolved by heroically defeating the King in Book III. This is clearly building up to something absolutely world-breaking.

I have never waited 9 years for a book before. I cannot believe I'm saying this, but this book was worth the wait. This trilogy is shaping up to be an absolute masterwork.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gameplay trailer is out:

https://youtu.be/MI08MPiL7WQ

Looks good. Hope springs eternal for a good video game adaptation of a 40K setting, and from time to time that hope seems to be rewarded. Maybe this time.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Finally finished Penitent. So, so, so glad I avoided spoilers.
First of all: it's amazing. I love this style of prose. Abnett is really pushing himself lately, and it shows.
I don't actually think, from a craft perspective, it's Abnett's best book-- I think that's still Saturnine-- but it's very, very good. Really, the only thing holding it back is being part of a trilogy, and the second part at that. The trilogy, when considered as a whole, will almost certainly end up being Abnett's magnum opus.

Spoiler thoughts:
The one disappointment in this book is how little they did with Deathrow/Alpharius. I don't think he's the primarch-- I think that's one reveal too many-- but I do think he's loyal to the primarch's plan in a way that most Legionnaires aren't. More on this later.

I definitely think Valdor and pals are trying to set up a "third way" faction, one that balances between rejection of the Warp and domination by it. This is constantly hinted at in the HH/SoT books. The lynchpin, to me, is what Alpharius says in Legion when he first meets Namatjira. "It is better to manage and maintain the flaws of man on an ongoing basis." At the end of that book, he supposedly embraces a utopian plan to exterminate Chaos via mass sacrifice of humanity-- after explicitly rejecting utopianism earlier in the book. So it's quite obvious from the start that Alpharius isn't doing what he claims he's doing. Duh, that's his thing. "It is better to manage and maintain the flaws of Chaos on an ongoing basis" is not much of a leap at all from the stuff he says in Legion.

So let's do a roll call of who's on the team:
-Alpha Legion. If they're involved in this, obviously they placed Deathrow in a situation where Eisenhorn would employ him, in order to keep an eye on a threat against their plan.
-CV, obviously, and his legion of pariahs. He needs lots of pariahs if he's building a literal city in the Warp/
-Who else has espoused this doctrine? Who else has the initials CV? Cyrene Valantion. And by extension, Grammaticus and potentially Erda/Oll/Leetu.
-Lilean Chase? Maybe? She's gotta be someone specific. Personally, I think she's Erda. But clearly some of the Cognitae (just like some of the Alpha Legion) are just straight-up Chaos worshippers. There's a hint, though, that there's more to them than that. Zygmunt Molotch wanted to stop Slyte, after all.
-Here's my wild-rear end guess: Lorgar. Lorgar has withdrawn from the activities of his Legion beyond any other Chaos primarch. Lorgar is soulful, empathic, and wants humanity to thrive-- he embraced Chaos in the first place because he thought that was the only way for the species to move forward. And Lorgar is probably disillusioned after the Chaos Gods backed Horus against him during his coup attempt and exiled him. Zardu Layak asks in Slaves to Darkness "do the Gods want us to win?" and the answer, which he didn't receive, is probably no. The Chaos Gods wanted Horus to die (the Sacrificed King), they wanted the Emperor enshrined in the Throne, because they saw the same thing the Cabal did: victory was defeat, Horus's victory would lead to the extinction of Chaos, but the Emperor's pyrrhic victory leads to the creeping victory of Chaos.

So imagine you're Lorgar. You pledge yourself to the Chaos Gods because you see them as the only way the species can survive. You imagine a thriving, glorious Empire of Chaos. And then you find out that not only is your champion going to fail and lead to a stagnant, collapsing dystopia, but the Gods you pledged to want him to. That's their plan! They don't give a poo poo about uplifting humanity to the beautiful metaphysics of Chaos! They just wanna smash everything up so they can roll around in the garbage.

You meditate on this. For thousands of years. Not hard to imagine that you decide a third way is superior.

So yeah. This is absolutely nuts. I will honestly be disappointed if they're not setting up a new faction, if this all gets resolved by heroically defeating the King in Book III. This is clearly building up to something absolutely world-breaking.

I have never waited 9 years for a book before. I cannot believe I'm saying this, but this book was worth the wait. This trilogy is shaping up to be an absolute masterwork.

I think you are heading in the right direction. Mortis spoilers as they relate to Penitent (I would suggest you don't read if you haven't read Mortis though):

In Mortis we get the backstory for how Olly knows the Emperor. Way way back the Tower of Babel was actually a thing. The faction living there had an almost complete lexicon of Enuncia. The Emperor and Olly (who was his Warmaster at the time!) decided it had to be destroyed. They did so, but then the Emperor went back on his word after killing the occupants and begin to study the lexicon for future use instead of outright destroying it. Olly couldn't have that so he spoke a word of Enuncia at the Emperor and stabbed him through the heart. Then lightning strikes the tower (this is the origin of the lightning tower motif!) and we cut to black. Back in the present day, John Grammaticus is talking to Olly after having seen this memory and it turns out that the people in the tower were the original Cognitae and some of them survived and scattered, and the Cognitae still exists today as we know.

So yeah, perpetuals are definitely involved. The Cognitae are not a straight chaos worshipping cult, but seem to have their own agenda for humanity. They could probably be considered radicals who will use chaos to achieve their goals and some of them have probably fallen to Chaos completely. Also based on what we see in Alpharius novel there was definitely some knowledge and a mission given to him very early on direct from the emperor that no other primarch had. I think we will see that the emperor gives Constantin specific instructions before internment in the throne and we will then learn what those instructions were and see the plan come to fruition in the next Bequin book.

Go BL for putting something this complicated together that obviously started being planned quite a few years back.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

D-Pad posted:

I think you are heading in the right direction. Mortis spoilers as they relate to Penitent (I would suggest you don't read if you haven't read Mortis though):

In Mortis we get the backstory for how Olly knows the Emperor. Way way back the Tower of Babel was actually a thing. The faction living there had an almost complete lexicon of Enuncia. The Emperor and Olly (who was his Warmaster at the time!) decided it had to be destroyed. They did so, but then the Emperor went back on his word after killing the occupants and begin to study the lexicon for future use instead of outright destroying it. Olly couldn't have that so he spoke a word of Enuncia at the Emperor and stabbed him through the heart. Then lightning strikes the tower (this is the origin of the lightning tower motif!) and we cut to black. Back in the present day, John Grammaticus is talking to Olly after having seen this memory and it turns out that the people in the tower were the original Cognitae and some of them survived and scattered, and the Cognitae still exists today as we know.

So yeah, perpetuals are definitely involved. The Cognitae are not a straight chaos worshipping cult, but seem to have their own agenda for humanity. They could probably be considered radicals who will use chaos to achieve their goals and some of them have probably fallen to Chaos completely. Also based on what we see in Alpharius novel there was definitely some knowledge and a mission given to him very early on direct from the emperor that no other primarch had. I think we will see that the emperor gives Constantin specific instructions before internment in the throne and we will then learn what those instructions were and see the plan come to fruition in the next Bequin book.

Go BL for putting something this complicated together that obviously started being planned quite a few years back.

Yeah, that's incorporated into my theory.
We know from Mortis that Cyrene is Actaea, which means she set up Lorgar's coup to fail. We also know that she is seeking a third path, along with Grammaticus (he tells us so in Saturnine, she does in Mortis). That implicates Oll's involvement, and potentially Erda's too, since I get the impression she won't remain neutral for long. Actaea's role in Slave to Darkness-- facilitating Lorgar's failed coup and subsequent exile-- also suggests to me his involvement. It seems like Cyrene/Actaea subtly nudged him along this path to get him where she needed him to be.

My extreme, speculative guess is that Cyrene, Grammaticus, Oll, and Erda are planning a Middle Path: a way to free humanity from the Emperor's tyranny, but also from the domination of the Chaos Gods. That plan leads them to the Vengeful Spirit throne room. Somehow, they interfere with the Emperor's showdown with Horus, minutely altering the outcome. The Emperor, perhaps recognizing the worth in their plan in the aftermath of His injury, sets Valdor to carry it out-- but His way, not theirs. Valdor becomes the Yellow King and Erda becomes Lilean Chase, founder of the Cognitae, a secret order bent on continuing their little cabal's work (and steering the King).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

About to finish Penitent. Not sure if I want to catch up on Gaunts Ghosts or siege of terra next.

What are the books to read to get the skinny on Alpharius and/or Alpha Legion? Legion, his primarch book, any others?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Anybody recommend some good age of sigmar books? Read ghoulslayer and dug it, anything else that people enjoyed?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Benagain posted:

Anybody recommend some good age of sigmar books? Read ghoulslayer and dug it, anything else that people enjoyed?

so has the setting gotten any better? because i tried reading about it and it felt very stakeless. like people just respawn and poo poo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So what's the deal with the Szarekh the Silent King now?

Hearing that a lot of what anyone knows about him is all lies. Szarekh might have found a way to erase or sequester memories and rewrote their own history to gain/regain? power.
Did he lie about Sanguinius to Commander Dante and the Blood Angels too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Benagain posted:

Spear of Shadows was a solid read. A shame we never got the other books in the series covering the rest of the special weapons they were hunting after.

Also it's not fiction per se but the Soulbound RPG books are pretty good read as well.