Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I only remember CM Punk existed when people post about him so I think the answer is "sure, if you were a fan you'll remember him"

I don't think WWE has built a lasting memorable legacy for anyone since Cena was first made The Guy and the last like ten plus years have been completely forgettable interchangeable nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

D.N. Nation posted:

all matches on that card:

Ken Shamrock def. Mark Henry (KOTR quarterfinals)
X-Pac def. Dustin Runnels
Jeff Jarrett def. Marc Mero (KOTR quarterfinals)
Kane def. Road Dogg
Edge killed Jose Estrada
Dan Severn def. Owen Hart (KOTR quarterfinals)
The Rock def. Triple H (KOTR quarterfinals)
Mankind def. Billy Gunn
Stone Cold Steve Austin def. Mankind (WWE Championship dark match)

1) Edge is old.
2) .....wow, they used to do a much better job at building a show.
3) .....though, Mr. rear end versus Mankind in the TV main event, uh

Billy Gunn was also in the main of the go-home show for Full Gear 2020 (Cody & GunnClub vs. Dark Order).

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I was completely checked out of wrestling when CM Punk was active so I don't really have any clue why he gets the reverence he does or what made the Pipe Bomb so special.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pylons posted:

I was completely checked out of wrestling when CM Punk was active so I don't really have any clue why he gets the reverence he does or what made the Pipe Bomb so special.

It was and is a very eloquent summary of everything that's wrong with WWE. Then again it literally was a decade ago and every problem he brings up is still there or even worse now, so yeah.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CM Punk's legacy to me is every time people went 'GOTTA MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONG' in complaint to Roman winning things, thus showing that any fandom of Punk had nothing to do with anything he ever said and everything to do with what people wanted Punk to be saying.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i agree that there weren't any real fans of cm punk

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/WWERollins/status/1373671249377955848?s=20

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
punk may look like a dweeb now, but wait til he becomes what he railed against and comes back part-time to main event a wrestlemania

even that wont look as dweeby as that tyler black tweet though, yikes

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I appreciate that Seth is here to make everyone with bad twitter skills look a little better by comparison.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I ... wait ... really? This is what Rollins has been reduced to?

Sweet Jesus, you stop watching wrestling for a few years and then see ... this. I don't even know how to make heads or tails of it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If his goal is making people physically recoil with cringe at tweets then he's nailing his character

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I saw recently where also bad Twitter poster oney lorcan said he was paid a sum of money to stop all caps tweeting and I hope to god it’s a. True and b. Seth rollins’s money

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Cavauro posted:

i agree that there weren't any real fans of cm punk

Who

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Timby posted:

Sweet Jesus, you stop watching wrestling for a few years and then see ... this. I don't even know how to make heads or tails of it.

Rollins has always been bad at Twitter independent of WWE.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

One the one hand you're right but on the other hand at least he isn't crying and pissing himself at the sight of a spooky clown, so it could still be worse.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

So does the WWE Network as it is just cease to exist and you have to sign up for Peacock to watch PPVs?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Stroker Ace posted:

So does the WWE Network as it is just cease to exist and you have to sign up for Peacock to watch PPVs?

Not only that but you get less content because most of it wont be added until months from now! What a bargain!

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

Not only that but you get less content because most of it wont be added until months from now! What a bargain!

Where do I sign up!?!?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pylons posted:

It was years of culmonation building to that point, up until then Punk had been year in and year out putting out sone of the best promos and best matches and best feuds in the company but always been passed over or ignored because he looked funny.

I'm not even sure they publish it anymore but the DVD CM Punk: Best in the World is one of the best pro wrestling documentaries made as it features tonnes of talking heads who still at the time of the documentary with no idea how he is so popular and iver - most notoriously Michael Hayes but even John Cena has no clue why Punk is so beloved.

Also he's kind of proof that not only do you not have to be big to be a great wrestler, Punk's 6'1" but i mean guys like Bryan and Jericho, but also you don't even have to be athletic to be a great pro wrestler.

Punk's had classics with Cena, Undertaker, Lesnar, the latter two both who are referred to as both thinking he wasn't good and then shocked by how good he was when they wrestled him.

So yeah the pipebombs a meme but theres years of backstory to how this happened sych as his feud with Morrison, Jeff Hardy, the Straight Edge Society... its a lot.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lid posted:

It was years of culmonation building to that point, up until then Punk had been year in and year out putting out sone of the best promos and best matches and best feuds in the company but always been passed over or ignored because he looked funny.

I'm not even sure they publish it anymore but the DVD CM Punk: Best in the World is one of the best pro wrestling documentaries made as it features tonnes of talking heads who still at the time of the documentary with no idea how he is so popular and iver - most notoriously Michael Hayes but even John Cena has no clue why Punk is so beloved.

Also he's kind of proof that not only do you not have to be big to be a great wrestler, Punk's 6'1" but i mean guys like Bryan and Jericho, but also you don't even have to be athletic to be a great pro wrestler.

Punk's had classics with Cena, Undertaker, Lesnar, the latter two both who are referred to as both thinking he wasn't good and then shocked by how good he was when they wrestled him.

So yeah the pipebombs a meme but theres years of backstory to how this happened sych as his feud with Morrison, Jeff Hardy, the Straight Edge Society... its a lot.

Right it's a moment in time that can only be appreciated with the right context. Kind of like DBRY's run up to Wrestlemania 30. The problem is since like someone else said a lot of these problems still exist or are in fact worse the context is now lost because it was all for naught.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

The Stroker Ace posted:

Wont it still exist as is for people outside of the US? if so, just use a vpn

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Punk's run is like America in the seventies, where there was a brief chance to make things better but the guys in charge decided to double down on everything that sucks instead

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

lol Jesus Christ CM Punk was insanely cool, insanely over, the best in that ring, in that announcer's desk and on that microphone

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Copying this from a Bleacher Report retrospective of the PG era

quote:

Without the glossy presentation of a child-friendly product that WWE produced during the so-called PG Era, the Summer of Punk 2.0 may never have happened.

Things had become so watered down, so vanilla, that Punk's June 27, 2011, Pipebomb Promo provided the spark the company needed.

Here was this counter-culture antihero, this loud-mouthed voice of the masses who sat atop the Raw stage and expressed himself in a real and frustrated manner the way others simply were not doing. He was relatable because he was pissed off. He was tired of being held down by the like of Cena, who fans already resented for his constant and never-ending push as the face of the company.

That promo, which even featured a dig at fans, ignited a flame and made Punk the hottest commodity in pro wrestling.

He was edgy, genuine, and the older fans disenfranchised by the product that had left them behind found their savior in the Chicago native.

He earned comparisons to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin for his bashing of the company's authority figures, but in reality, he was just Punk, and in hindsight, that is all he needed to be.

While other, white-bread babyfaces may define the era of WWE programming, Punk turned the company on its head for a few short years and gave fans a taste of what an alternative to the advertiser-obsessed promotion could look like.

In summary Punk lead to AEW.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2901090-the-legacy-of-wwes-pg-era-and-what-comes-next-12-years-later

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

Punk's run is like America in the seventies, where there was a brief chance to make things better but the guys in charge decided to double down on everything that sucks instead

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Duke Pukem posted:

Wont it still exist as is for people outside of the US? if so, just use a vpn

It’s still available internationally “for now” which is an even weaker statement/show of support than the company was willing to give for the US Network’s survival a year ago. If they’re not actively looking for buyers or transition methods for those other countries, it’d be surprising; international Network has and has had significantly less subs than the US Network that was pretty openly considered a failure internally

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

As someone who hadn't watched for years, I actually heard about the pipe bomb a few weeks later and tuned back in, but it looked like he was going to feud with HHH or something, and I tuned back out.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I just saw the latest smackdown in entirety. What the hell is going on with Shane and strowman

Are they trying to garner sympathy for strowman and do something similar to stone cold vs mr mcmahon

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
they cut icp’s performance out of summerslam 98 on peacock it’s safe to say the company will never learn

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kunabomber posted:

I just saw the latest smackdown in entirety. What the hell is going on with Shane and strowman

Are they trying to garner sympathy for strowman and do something similar to stone cold vs mr mcmahon

yes

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't know why but this feels like such a Dan Ryckert thing. Like I half expect him to come out managing Seth tonight.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kunabomber posted:

I just saw the latest smackdown in entirety.
why

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Now that recaps aren't being posted here anymore I'll be able to be shocked when something truly crazy happens. Feels like the last tie to WWE is dying. I wonder if we'll ever get to a point where we don't even have a WWE thread.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

I dunno man, it's good for when you're folding laundry or doing dishes

Edit: also because of the sheer amount of talent that does produce legitimately good angles and stories, like the hurt business when they first rose up and like 50% of drew mcintyres championship

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 21, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

this is funny but not in the way WWE intended. Or maybe it is? It’s hard to tell anymore.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shard posted:

Now that recaps aren't being posted here anymore I'll be able to be shocked when something truly crazy happens. Feels like the last tie to WWE is dying. I wonder if we'll ever get to a point where we don't even have a WWE thread.

Lets place our bets on who will found the WWE version of TNA to keep the "real" promotion alive, or if they'll just takeover TNA by force and TNA will becomke TNA for an entirely different promotion 20 years later.

Hell WWE is already like early TNA with the weekly pay per views.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait, what? Why?

I think Rollins is feuding with Cesaro and so Cesaro and Nakamura are now friends again(since they're both now faces again randomly)? So it's just Rollins vs Friend of Cesaro.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

collocation posted:

As someone who hadn't watched for years, I actually heard about the pipe bomb a few weeks later and tuned back in, but it looked like he was going to feud with HHH or something, and I tuned back out.

You made the right choice, because of course Punk lost that feud.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kunabomber posted:

I hadn't considered this before but it both fits and is hilarious because they think it's even remotely close to what they did with Austin. Only this time their Austin is so very obviously a shoot bootlicker and also not a tenth as talented as Austin, and their McMahon is a sweaty red balloon that goes Fffffffft a minute into every match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Hey if shane o'mac is willing to get into the ring with someone that actively attends super spreader events outside of the thunderdome and has snot and spittle running down his beard in every match let him have it