Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Doctor Faustine posted:

Oh, for sure. Rothfuss at least is fun to dunk on. I haven’t read any Jemisin and she exudes such colossal SFF Mean Girl energy on Twitter I refuse to so I can’t speak to the quality of her work.

Could you give some examples of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Dienes posted:

She came to my university and told everyone that Trump was trying to kill her. Wasn't joking. Showed her finances for the Broken Earth trilogy and complained that even though her books won awards, it didn't make as much money as some authors, using this to say that it was still almost impossible to make money as a black female author. The speech was mostly about identity, old white authors, and how new media and opportunities like Patreon are finally letting people with her intersectionality to make cash, but not mega bucks cash like those other authors. She just seemed to the it as a given that she should be making that J.K Rowling or Sanderson money because she won the Hugos, was angry and victimized by this fact, and didn't seem to take into consideration that other Hugo winners rarely grab fan bases big enough to bring in bucks$$$ regardless of their gender/ethnic/sexual identity.

She was also kind of a bitch.

TBH, Broken Earth is OK, but I never thought it had big money potential. If you write extensive segments in your books in second person you're not capturing the mass market.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BananaNutkins posted:

She came to my university and told everyone that Trump was trying to kill her. Wasn't joking. Showed her finances for the Broken Earth trilogy and complained that even though her books won awards, it didn't make as much money as some authors, using this to say that it was still almost impossible to make money as a black female author. The speech was mostly about identity, old white authors, and how new media and opportunities like Patreon are finally letting people with her intersectionality to make cash, but not mega bucks cash like those other authors. She just seemed to the it as a given that she should be making that J.K Rowling or Sanderson money because she won the Hugos, was angry and victimized by this fact, and didn't seem to take into consideration that other Hugo winners rarely grab fan bases big enough to bring in bucks$$$ regardless of their gender/ethnic/sexual identity.

She was also kind of a bitch.

TBH, Broken Earth is OK, but I never thought it had big money potential. If you write extensive segments in your books in second person you're not capturing the mass market.

Seems more like you're upset that a woman of color is being 'uppity' about racial and sexual inequality in media.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Dienes posted:

Seems more like you're upset that a woman of color is being 'uppity' about racial and sexual inequality in media.

Nah. It's that I entirely deny racial and sexual inequality in media.

Big monetary rewards are basically hitting the jackpot and aren't something restricted by identity. No one gave a flying gently caress what color or gender she was. She just didn't pull an audience as large as she thought she deserved and was being pissy about it. Maybe she should have written about sparkly vampires, or maybe an autistic magic system would have netted her a bigger following. Blaming her failure to have explosion success on identity is just a blatantly fallacious assumption.

Maybe if it had been published in a different window, maybe if the cover had been cooler, etc, etc. There are a million factors beyond the control of the author. Like I said, even winning big awards isn't a guarantee that you have a bright future making high six figures a year. The biggest monetary success of all time in fantasy is a woman.

In the short fiction marketplace, Bipoc or intersectional authors currently have more opportunities to publish. Check Diabolical Plots' the Grinder and see how many limited demographic windows there are compared to open submissions with no advantages toward gender, ethnicity, sexual preferences. For much of the year, openings for limited demo submissions are probably larger than blind submissions (the only fair way to determine the merits of a piece on the writings merits alone).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 28, 2021

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So ya got any of that twitter energy examples or are you going to continue to allude to a speech that we can't see?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BananaNutkins posted:

Nah. It's the implication that big monetary rewards, basically hitting the jackpot, is something that is restricted by identity. No one gave a flying gently caress what color or gender she was. She just didn't pull an audience as large as she thought she deserved and was being pissy about it. Maybe she should have written about sparkly vampires, or maybe an autistic magic system would have netted her a bigger following. Blaming her failure to have explosion success on identity is just a blatantly fallacious assumption.

Maybe if it had been published in a different window, maybe if the cover had been cooler, etc, etc. There are a million factors beyond the control of the author. Like I said, even winning big awards isn't a guarantee that you have a bright future making high six figures a year. The biggest monetary success of all time in fantasy is a woman.

Yes, absolutely, the lack of a more baller cover is more of an issue than the decades of documented systemic racism and sexism in the industry.

If I busted my rear end publishing books and saw Rothfuss making bank for 10 years working as *checks notes* a straight white dude on the internet who hasn't written in 10 years, I'd be angry, too.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

A. Your previous statement had specifically said that she exudes Mean Girl energy on Twitter, and when asked for proof you give an anecdote about an unverifiable personal experience.
B. You seem to be taking it as a given that, because Rowling sold a ton of books, there are no barriers for success, either commerical or critical, for women of color in science fiction. That does not follow.
B. Calling her a "bitch" is not going to win you any credit or remove the suspicion that your impression of her was affected by the fact that she's a woman of color, rather than by the specific things she said.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Dienes posted:

Yes, absolutely, the lack of a more baller cover is more of an issue than the decades of documented systemic racism and sexism in the industry.

If I busted my rear end publishing books and saw Rothfuss making bank for 10 years working as *checks notes* a straight white dude on the internet who hasn't written in 10 years, I'd be angry, too.

Rothfuss was a fluke who positioned himself to ride the flag-waving feminist tide while also being a total loving creeper. He got tons of initial hype for winning a cult run contest and parlayed his connections he made with those twisted mother fuckers into a deal, then squandered it, started a fake charity, and continues to be an entitled narcissistic fat rear end in a top hat using fake feminism and his own celebrity as a mating strategy.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BananaNutkins posted:

Rothfuss was a fluke who positioned himself to ride the flag-waving feminist tide while also being a total loving creeper. He got tons of initial hype for winning a cult run contest and parlayed his connections he made with those twisted mother fuckers into a deal, then squandered it, started a fake charity, and continues to be an entitled narcissistic fat rear end in a top hat using fake feminism and his own celebrity as a mating strategy.

I want to live in this world you are from where a creepy white guy feigning being progressive and being wildly successful due to his connections is a "fluke."

Seems like you are angry Jemisin won't pretend racism is over because she got a book deal.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Karia posted:

A. Your previous statement had specifically said that she exudes Mean Girl energy on Twitter, and when asked for proof you give an anecdote about an unverifiable personal experience.
B. You seem to be taking it as a given that, because Rowling sold a ton of books, there are no barriers for success, either commerical or critical, for women of color in science fiction. That does not follow.
B. Calling her a "bitch" is not going to win you any credit or remove the suspicion that your impression of her was affected by the fact that she's a woman of color, rather than by the specific things she said.

There are barriers to everyone in making money in fiction. You can make the right connections gain a rabid following based on content and scratching the itch of the market, or parlay some other form of awareness into a following to support you. Only the second example is a near guarantee you can continue getting that paper, and only then if you're a hard worker who puts out a book every year and a half at minimum.

There are less barriers to entry for Bipoc and LGBTQ authors than ever. The time is long past when it is a necessity to take a male name to have success in the industry. It's actually easier now for a limited demo to make it past the gatekeepers. If they don't find success in the market, that failure is not based on identity, it's based on not being able to develop a following.

Everyone thought K.J. Parker was a woman forever, and he did just fine. If Rothfuss was a woman, he's probably have an even larger revenue stream.

I'm a fan of content and I don't care about identity at all. Octavia Butler is my favorite SF author, but even Octavia Butler, a far more talented writer than Jemisin, did not write the sort of things that garners monetary success. She wrote beautiful, brilliant, complicated stories based on her own experiences. What sells is dragons and tits and ever escalating anime power fights, sexy vampires or variations on wish fulfillment for adolescent girls and boys.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

There are less barriers to entry for Bipoc and LGBTQ authors than ever. The time is long past when it is a necessity to take a male name to have success in the industry. It's actually easier now for a limited demo to make it past the gatekeepers. If they don't find success in the market, that failure is not based on identity, it's based on not being able to develop a following.

Are you seriously playing the "racism/sexism is over" card?

In 2013 10% of the SFWA voted for Vox Day as president, a 14 words actual Nazi eugenics. These aren't fans this was 10% of the elite community of sci-fi/fantasy writers, and Jemisin had to "be a bitch" in a public speech to them before people started becoming aware of it.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

pentyne posted:

Are you seriously playing the "racism/sexism is over" card?

In 2013 10% of the SFWA voted for Vox Day as president, a 14 words actual Nazi eugenics. These aren't fans this was 10% of the elite community of sci-fi/fantasy writers, and Jemisin had to "be a bitch" in a public speech to them before people started becoming aware of it.

10% is a small minority. Some percentage of the population will always discriminate against another. It will never be fixed. But I am 100% saying it is no longer a barrier to entry or detrimental to sales, specifically in the U.S.

If you will take a quick glance at the markets, you will see most are actively courting intersectional groups.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 28, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BananaNutkins posted:

Nah. It's that I entirely deny racial and sexual inequality in media.

:fuckoff:

Get the gently caress out of here with this "inequality doesn't exist" horseshit you chud.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Karia posted:

That was Doctor Faustine, and porfiria first brought it up. I'm sure there are better points to be made about Jemisin than those made by Banana "A horde of small dragons who steal wealth and don't put it back into the economy could be symbolic of illegal immigration" Nutkins.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Doctor Faustine posted:

I haven’t read any Jemisin and she exudes such colossal SFF Mean Girl energy on Twitter I refuse to so I can’t speak to the quality of her work.

Lol “colossal SFF Mean Girl energy”

Can you please make a thread about this hitherto-unknown phenomenon ... or maybe we just need to make a thread about Jemisin and about how she makes some people very angry.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Dienes posted:

Most notable was when she effectively used her significant Twitter following to “call attention” to a” story published in Clarkesworld called “I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter” that resulted in so much dogpiling and abuse that the author—a previously closeted trans woman who had been working through her own feelings with the piece —requested the story be taken down and was on the verge of suicide.

Jemisin admitted she never even read past the title.

You can read about the incident here: https://theoutline.com/post/8600/isabel-fall-attack-helicopter-moralism

She also joined in on the pile-on of a college student from some tiny bumfuck school who thought that a Sarah Dessen book wasn’t really up to college reading level and had some snarky things to say about it. You can read about that here: https://www.vulture.com/2019/11/famous-authors-drag-student-in-ya-twitter-controversy.html

Those are the big ones, to me. She just frequently brings up poo poo she doesn’t like that “the little guy” is doing and since she has a pretty big Twitter following it ends up getting whoever she’s mad at harassed more often than not, often for bullshit that is really a “block and move on” offense at worst.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haha yeah those were some real dumb moves from all those authors. It’s not really surprising, I’ve seen authors do wayyy pettier things, and usually they have a marketing angle in calling out some piece of media or person (in a “read my book, it’s better” or a “respect our genre! Also here is the books I’ve written in that genre, buy them please”)

Recent examples include the author who called out fan fiction, positioning her own works as better than all the authors who had ever written fan fiction, and the lady who recently called out Avatar as problematic for having white creators, while marketing her own book as a zutara romance (this resulted in them locking their account). And earlier this year some guy was saying he’d written “the good version of Attack on Titan” where it stays as a fighting monsters story and intimated that the original creator was anti-Semitic. He’s since deleted his account.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 28, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Doctor Faustine posted:

Most notable was when she effectively used her significant Twitter following to “call attention” to a” story published in Clarkesworld called “I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter” that resulted in so much dogpiling and abuse that the author—a previously closeted trans woman who had been working through her own feelings with the piece —requested the story be taken down and was on the verge of suicide.

You can read about the incident here: https://theoutline.com/post/8600/isabel-fall-attack-helicopter-moralism

quote:

In a statement following the story’s removal, Clarkesworld owner and Editor-in-Chief Neil Clarke confirmed that Fall was a transgender woman living a closeted life and that harassment had forced her to out herself. Clarke also stated that Fall’s deteriorating health and well-being, as well as her acute distress over criticisms of her story as “harmful,” prompted her request for the story’s removal.

quote:

N. K. Jemisin said she was “glad” the story was taken down, stating “Not all art is good art. Sometimes art causes harm. And granted that marginalized creators end up held to a higher standard than others, which is poo poo, but… that’s bc we know what that harm feels like, up close and personal. Artists should strive to do no (more of this) harm.” She also noted the author’s extreme stress and its health effects as part of the harm “Attack Helicopter” had caused. In subsequent tweets, however, Jemisin admitted that she hadn’t read the story.

Wow that's disgusting and atrocious behavior that ended up outing a transgender woman against her will. GG or whatever Jemisin

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Ccs posted:

Haha yeah those were some real dumb moves from all those authors. It’s not really surprising, I’ve seen authors do wayyy pettier things, and usually they have a marketing angle in calling out some piece of media or person (in a “read my book, it’s better” or a “respect our genre! Also here is the books I’ve written in that genre, buy them please”)

Recent examples include the author who called out fan fiction, positioning her own works as better than all the authors who had ever written fan fiction, and the lady who recently called out Avatar as problematic for having white creators, while marketing her own book as a zutara romance (this resulted in them locking their account). And earlier this year some guy was saying he’d written “the good version of Attack on Titan” where it stays as a fighting monsters story and intimated that the original creator was anti-Semitic. He’s since deleted his account.

In the defense of the anti-fanfic writer, I’ve read several of her short stories since I was curious about them after that whole debacle and they actually are really good and she actually does write circles around a lot of the writers who got butthurt at her fanfic bad take. This was another situation where I feel like big deal writers like Jemisin should have just muted/blocked and moved on tbh.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

HIJK posted:

Interesting read from the blog. There's still some unaccounted for stuff like the referenced scene where Kvothu molests an underage sex trafficking victim though which, on top of being weird and disgusting, reads as drastically out of place. It wasn't edited to fit in with the rest of the book.

I do remember once reading a blog post from the woman who wrote The Princess Diaries. When her first book was accepted by a publisher it went into the editing process. It was a historical romance. The author recounted that her editor sent her back a print manuscript that was covered with notes about historical inaccuracies that needed to be corrected. Since it was the author's first book she felt deeply injured by this which resulted in her tearing all the notes off and sending it back as is. Apparently the book was published as-is with minimal edits and to this day it still gets dragged for being historically inaccurate.

Considering how prideful Rothfuss is about his writing """"technique"""" such as it is, I wonder if his editor tried to correct his mistakes but he refused to change anything. I suppose it could be a case of the publisher going "lol okay" and just letting it be published. It's not like the hardcore fans are particularly discerning so it doesn't impact sales in a negative way.

Are you sure you mean the Princess Diaries? That was a young adult modern romance series.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Kchama posted:

Are you sure you mean the Princess Diaries? That was a young adult modern romance series.

The writer of the Princess Diaries is Meg Cabot. As I clearly stated in my post, her first book was a historical romance. The Princess Diaries were not Meg Cabot's first books. She was writing for a long time before she published the Princess Diaries.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

HIJK posted:

The writer of the Princess Diaries is Meg Cabot. As I clearly stated in my post, her first book was a historical romance. The Princess Diaries were not Meg Cabot's first books. She was writing for a long time before she published the Princess Diaries.

I misread you as talking about the Princess Diaries there, spe, my apologies.

HIJK posted:

Wow that's disgusting and atrocious behavior that ended up outing a transgender woman against her will. GG or whatever Jemisin

I feel this is very unfair to her.

For one thing, I don't see how NK could have had any hand in the author outing herself, as the first time she comments on the subject is on the 17th...

After the editor posted a message that Isabella Fall was a trans person and had outted herself because people thought it was from a non-trans transphobic person. So she had already come out publicly before NK's first comment. So this just seems like bullshit that NK was the cause of this. The timeline doesn't track.

EDIT: I changed my post because I did a little reading and noted that little thing so the rest of what I posted was irrelevant.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 29, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Doctor Faustine posted:

In the defense of the anti-fanfic writer, I’ve read several of her short stories since I was curious about them after that whole debacle and they actually are really good and she actually does write circles around a lot of the writers who got butthurt at her fanfic bad take. This was another situation where I feel like big deal writers like Jemisin should have just muted/blocked and moved on tbh.

Regardless, they’re stirring up controversy to market themselves. The fact that people read their work after their hot takes is proof that it’s working and it incentivizes other authors to use the same tactics. It’s similar to authors posting under fake names to rail against competitors and slyly promote their own work (ex that Requires Hate blog that caused a bunch of that authors direct competitors to self harm)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Kchama posted:

After the editor posted a message that Isabella Fall was a trans person. So she had already come out publicly before NK's first comment. So this just seems like bullshit.
On one hand, it's good if Jemisin didn't get the author outed, but on the other, this makes her response to the story and the controversy around it much worse.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

On one hand, it's good if Jemisin didn't get the author outed, but on the other, this makes her response to the story itself much worse.

No, the problem was no one on twitter attacking the story knew the author was trans. It wasn't a secret but it wasn't made obvious by the story or the author bio at the time, so it was "see title, click on author bio, see nothing about being trans" and straight to condemnation.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Doctor Faustine posted:

I didn't follow this controversy at the time but the very link you posted says absolutely nothing about Jemisin instigating any of this, and she herself said she didn't read the story because it had already been taken down by the time she got to it, so what exactly are you going on about?

https://twitter.com/nkjemisin/status/1217997962372141056

Doctor Faustine posted:

She also joined in on the pile-on of a college student from some tiny bumfuck school who thought that a Sarah Dessen book wasn’t really up to college reading level and had some snarky things to say about it. You can read about that here: https://www.vulture.com/2019/11/famous-authors-drag-student-in-ya-twitter-controversy.html

Those are the big ones, to me. She just frequently brings up poo poo she doesn’t like that “the little guy” is doing and since she has a pretty big Twitter following it ends up getting whoever she’s mad at harassed more often than not, often for bullshit that is really a “block and move on” offense at worst.

Ok, so Jemisin posted a potentially bad take in a dogpile that again was not initiated by her, and then later apologized in an arguably not entirely convincing way? Why do I care? Does this add some useful context to her books? Why is this in the Rothfuss thread?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

On one hand, it's good if Jemisin didn't get the author outed, but on the other, this makes her response to the story and the controversy around it much worse.

She deleted the thread, apologized, and told people to gently caress off with harassing the author, so there's that.

Being able to admit when she was wrong and make some amends (she got in contact with the author to apologize it seems) seems to make her a fundamentally different person than the people we were talking about, so indeed she seems like a poor fit for this entire conversation.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 29, 2021

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
It’s not like Rothfuss is going to give us anything of his to talk about any time soon.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Ccs posted:

Regardless, they’re stirring up controversy to market themselves. The fact that people read their work after their hot takes is proof that it’s working and it incentivizes other authors to use the same tactics. It’s similar to authors posting under fake names to rail against competitors and slyly promote their own work (ex that Requires Hate blog that caused a bunch of that authors direct competitors to self harm)

the sad thing is that requireshate is proof that the tactic works. despite that big post that outed her and her years of abusive trolling, and the traction it got, she has published far more books and short stories than she ever had before people knew it was her.

as far as this dumb jemisin/rothfuss chat goes, it seems like jemisin doesn't get that the audience wants dumb poo poo about a fifteen-year-old musical prodigy who fucks good and makes the lute say sad more than they want her stuff that tries to comment on injustice and such. she'd probably have an apoplectic fit if she saw how much people make writing elf fetish litrpgs on amazon. at this point, it's like write to market or don't write at all. as a writer, i get why it might annoy her but you have to understand that's how it is these days, and it's probably only going to get worse. and I've never won a hugo award!

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 29, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Kchama posted:

I misread you as talking about the Princess Diaries there, spe, my apologies.

I feel this is very unfair to her.

For one thing, I don't see how NK could have had any hand in the author outing herself, as the first time she comments on the subject is on the 17th...

After the editor posted a message that Isabella Fall was a trans person and had outted herself because people thought it was from a non-trans transphobic person. So she had already come out publicly before NK's first comment. So this just seems like bullshit that NK was the cause of this. The timeline doesn't track.

EDIT: I changed my post because I did a little reading and noted that little thing so the rest of what I posted was irrelevant.

I don't think Jemisin was the cause of it at all, I just think that she happily helped in the digital dogpile of a trans person who was using a short story to explore her gender identity and then she admitted that she never read the transwoman's story. And why did it take the author's coming out to make the dogpile stop? Why do people have to be outed against their will in order to make someone like Jemisin stop dogpiling and go "oops I didn't actually read the story?"

I don't think Jemisin caused it, I think she's a lovely person for partaking in it especially when she never actually read the story and jumped the gun based on the title alone.

This is why jumping to condemnation is bad, as others have pointed out.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 29, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Doctor Faustine posted:

It’s not like Rothfuss is going to give us anything of his to talk about any time soon.

I'm sure conventions will start up again in the fall (or sooner) and then we'll get new stories about him creeping on fans and inviting them back to his hotel room.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
"Hey ladies...I don't know if you knew, but I, heh, invented a little game called Tak."

The mind reels

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

HIJK posted:

I don't think Jemisin was the cause of it at all, I just think that she happily helped in the digital dogpile of a trans person who was using a short story to explore her gender identity and then she admitted that she never read the transwoman's story.

She didn't read it because (for the third time on this page) it was already taken down by the time she commented!

HIJK posted:

And why did it take the author's coming out to make the dogpile stop? Why do people have to be outed against their will in order to make someone like Jemisin stop dogpiling and go "oops I didn't actually read the story?"

I don't think Jemisin caused it, I think she's a lovely person for partaking in it especially when she never actually read the story and jumped the gun based on the title alone.

Here are screencaps of Jemisin's tweets on the subject, which she evidently thought were a bad idea and deleted:

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1219008152412270592

I don't have a strong opinion about how bad her take was but I wouldn't characterize it as dogpiling in condemnation and it's certainly more measured and considered than whatever the gently caress this is:

HIJK posted:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lots of people had the same reaction she did because that book's title is something anti-trans bigots love to say to belittle trans people. IIRC the exact reason the author used the title was as a gently caress You to those bigots. Like if someone writes a book whose title is the Fourteen Words and it's a savage takedown of white supremacy I won't be surprised if there's a lot of "what's this racist poo poo" reactions from people who don't want to read it either.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

HIJK posted:

I don't think Jemisin was the cause of it at all, I just think that she happily helped in the digital dogpile of a trans person who was using a short story to explore her gender identity and then she admitted that she never read the transwoman's story. And why did it take the author's coming out to make the dogpile stop? Why do people have to be outed against their will in order to make someone like Jemisin stop dogpiling and go "oops I didn't actually read the story?"

Perhaps you shouldn't jump to condemnation yourself because you never actually read what happened either.

The transwoman outed herself because people thought she was a cis person writing a transphobic story, and it had already happened long before Jemisin ever said anything.

HIJK posted:

Also, you were the one who said that Jemisin was the cause! That's why I had to do five minutes of research and found out that you were wrong.

EDIT: I mean to be fair you were just jumping to condemnation after taking some person at their word that Jemisin was the cause.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lots of people had the same reaction she did because that book's title is something anti-trans bigots love to say to belittle trans people. IIRC the exact reason the author used the title was as a gently caress You to those bigots. Like if someone writes a book whose title is the Fourteen Words and it's a savage takedown of white supremacy I won't be surprised if there's a lot of "what's this racist poo poo" reactions from people who don't want to read it either.

Yeah, this is a big part of it. And the people who DID read it initially had an averse reaction because of it using a transphobic meme as the basis of her story gave a very different impression of the intended meaning to a lot of them.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 29, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Jungian Psychology in KKC (self.KingkillerChronicle)
submitted 1 day ago by Ren_Carter

Hi everyone, So I don't know if this is a widely known thing or if Pat has ever spoken about this, but has anyone ever elaborated on the vast amount of influences of Jungian Psychology that there are in these two books? The power of the unconscious (the "sleeping mind" that has to be awoken), the myths and stories containing universal truths, the symbols and archtypes, I mean it's amazing, it's one of the (many many) reasons I found these books so brilliant!

D3ad_Ins1d3
0 points 1 day ago

YES! I was planning to write a post about it, bu I'v been lazy as gently caress recently. I never heard of him talking about this topic. However, we shold keep in mind tha Rothfuss aquired repertory on psychology, even more largely in antropology and literature, hence, he is very aware of the concepts of archetype, universal motifs and so on.

Patrick is a big fan of Gaiman too, the british author alredy stated clearly the influence of Jung in The Sandman. Anyone who has ever consumed both storys can see how they have a similar approach on the nature of storys and myths inside its respectives worlds.

But I have to admit that I dont think the mythology of the Four Cornes are Jung influenced. After all, when fantasy authors develop mythologys for their worlds, usualy they dont center it around the suposed psychological meaning of the myths as proposed by Jung. The truth is that they play around with archetypes for its heuristic value, to achive a certain emotional response and reliability on the reader, because its very dificult to write totaly alien and unreferenced mythology without it falling apart. So the archetypes must be recognizable, but its just because they are references from myths of our real world.

But, there may be a more direct reference from another part o Junguian works. It appears to me that the ability of naming rely heavily on Junguian ideas on how the human personality works. My theory is that naming has a direct correlation with the concept of intuition. The exact concept of intuition is a perception chanalized through the colective unconscious, it means looking at the world and recognize, bring up and work with your mind around archetypical truths extracted from the world around you, hence extracting its "true name" from your sleeping mind, as is said by Elodin. With that I mean that the best namers are highly intuitive persons, in other word, non rational psychological types.

In this way you can explain a lot o things, including why naming is so dificult for Kvouthe, he seems to be a vey extroverted thinker, wich means he is kinda the oposite of a intuitive one. In other hand, Elodin probably is an extroverted intuitive, see how he is never talking in a reasonabily way. That's why he is a naturaly talented namer.

Maybe its too litle lines to make it completly clear. I have other arguments regarding this topic, but it wold make it too long. I may write a more compleet trent about this theme one day.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The "hyper-sane" and tender Auri (self.KingkillerChronicle)
submitted 1 day ago by AlioshaCraft

Am I the only one who wants to cuddle with Auri (without lust...pure tenderness) Untangle her hair and help her put things in order on the lower floors of the university? (By the way, I would love to explore the underground...Pat was worried that we would´t like "The Music of Silence" and I would have liked it to be at least three times as long!) I think Auri could be a case of "Hyper-sanity" Similar to many theories about the character of the Joker. Sometimes I think Kvothe would learn more nomination from her than from Elodin.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I am undone.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For the audience just a quick reminder racism and misogyny and various shades of transphobia and general toxicity are still a huge problem in modern publishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
In an actual discussion of accusing someone of not reading into the facts before making aggressive statements, several people in this thread have done exact the same thing.

Makes you wonder what the actual problem really is.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah, if you're going to "subvert" what is the equivalent of hate speech regularly screamed at people and used to make them feel marginalized or unsafe you really need to be upfront about why you are doing it and not expect people to assume you are using it in good faith.