Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Kenny Omega angrily kicking out of the BTE trigger at 1 during the Revolution tag team championship match got an immense pop.

Shawn Michaels kicking out of the tombstone at the first Undertaker WrestleMania match.

Not a good match but I swear no one thought Undertaker would kick out when HHH gave him a Tombstone at WM27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Undertaker kicking out of the Superkick/Pedigree and Michaels selling it like Jesus had returned to call him on all his poo poo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Technically not a kickout, but my favorite is when Omega finally hit the One Winged Angel on Okada and he got his foot on the rope at 2.9

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Kennedy was fired during the whole Vince McMahon/Stan Kronke arena fiasco. Vince, furious at having been "humiliated" by a bigger billionaire had to take his anger out on somebody. Kennedy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Imagine being that petty and childish you make Stan Kroenke look good

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 5, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

Technically not a kickout, but my favorite is when Omega finally hit the One Winged Angel on Okada and he got his foot on the rope at 2.9

Yeah that was amazing

Okada actually is great at kick outs as he always looks so dead or tired when kicking out a near falls that you can't help but think he's going to lose at any minute

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Imagine being that petty an childish you make Stan Kroenke look good

YOU'RE AN EEENOSSS!!!

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
There's two back to back kickouts in Cedric Alexander vs Kota Ibushi from the CWC that I absolutely love

https://youtu.be/LeINMAJ4yAI

About two minutes in. I remember queueing this up at a party and having one of my friends drunkenly and enthusiastically grab my shoulder to say "Holy poo poo (name) I GET wrestling now"

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Benne posted:

Definitely counts as far as what I'm interested in; the Omega Golden Trigger one is definitely one I've revisted periodically since it happened. Just...so good, and I had a limited understanding of the history behind it at the time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

FakePoet posted:

I've possibly asked this before (or at least thought about it):

What are some of the best/most memorable kick-outs? And for a bonus, who are some of the best wrestlers at consistently getting you to bite on a pin-fall?

Moxley using the exploding ropes to kick out in his match at Revolution 2021 was pretty special.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

not a nearfall but lio rush no selling a powerbomb off a ladder from joey janela

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

YOU'RE AN EEENOSSS!!!

I remember seeing that clip out of context without knowing about that whole debacle and asking why Vince was yelling "ANUS!!" at some guy in a bad wig.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Kenny Omega angrily kicking out of the BTE trigger at 1 during the Revolution tag team championship match got an immense pop.

This.

DeathChicken posted:

Undertaker kicking out of the Superkick/Pedigree and Michaels selling it like Jesus had returned to call him on all his poo poo

And this.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FakePoet posted:

What are some of the best/most memorable kick-outs? And for a bonus, who are some of the best wrestlers at consistently getting you to bite on a pin-fall?

It's been decades since I've seen it, but there was a Triple H vs. Taka Michinoku match where Taka came incredibly close to winning and I remember them doing a really good job on how close the kickout was.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

FakePoet posted:

There was a terrific sequence in the Shawn Michaels/Kurt Angle match at Mania 21:

- Shawn goes for a moonsault off the top rope
- Angle jumps up to meet him on the turnbuckle, gives him an Angle Slam
- Kickout at 2.5
- Angle loses his poo poo, grabs HBK and tells him to stay down
- Sweet Chin Music from outta nowhere
- Kickout at 2.99999 (miiiight have been past 3, still awesome)
- Shawn thinks he's won, slowly staggers to his feet, only for
- Angle to pop up ("like a scary movie," Lawler says) and put on the ankle lock
- HBK writhes around in pain forEVER, then taps

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Has Meltzer ever wrestled or taken a bump? I ask completely out of curiosity, not due to "HE DOESN'T EVEN WRESTLE" cynicism.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Has Meltzer ever wrestled or taken a bump? I ask completely out of curiosity, not due to "HE DOESN'T EVEN WRESTLE" cynicism.

I don't think so, but it's always funny when people bust that argument out on Alvarez

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gavok posted:

It's been decades since I've seen it, but there was a Triple H vs. Taka Michinoku match where Taka came incredibly close to winning and I remember them doing a really good job on how close the kickout was.

That was the good HHH that people talk about in 99-00. He made me believe that somehow Taka was going to beat the world champion.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

D.N. Nation posted:

There was a terrific sequence in the Shawn Michaels/Kurt Angle match at Mania 21:

- Shawn goes for a moonsault off the top rope
- Angle jumps up to meet him on the turnbuckle, gives him an Angle Slam
- Kickout at 2.5
- Angle loses his poo poo, grabs HBK and tells him to stay down
- Sweet Chin Music from outta nowhere
- Kickout at 2.99999 (miiiight have been past 3, still awesome)
- Shawn thinks he's won, slowly staggers to his feet, only for
- Angle to pop up ("like a scary movie," Lawler says) and put on the ankle lock
- HBK writhes around in pain forEVER, then taps

Isn't this the match where Angle pulls the straps down, wrestles for a few minutes, gets angry, pulls the straps back up, and then pulls them right back down?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I hear that Big Dave regularly wrestles with the English language.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

From the April 2, 1990 issue of the Torch, transcribing a portion of a radio roundtable featuring Wade Keller, Dave Meltzer, Greg and Verne Gagne, and Eric Bischoff:

Peter Theile: "...Wade's with the Pro Wrestling Torch and Dave’s with..."
Greg interrupts: "I've qot a question for Wade and Dave...One thing I’d like you two to do. Nowyou're so-called experts on professional wrestling. You write a lot about it. You talk a lot about it. I learned the hard way. I learned by taking the nnq up, going to the wrestling camp for two and a half years getting my body busted up in that nnq. And I have a whole different outlookofwrestlingisthanIthinkyouquysdo. WhatI’d like you to do is come to our wrestling camp for three weeks. Got through it one time. Then write about it. I think your outlook (and) your wanting would be a little bit different than it is right now."
Keller: "Our goal isn’t to be professional wrestlers our..."
Gagne: "I’m not saying that..."
Keller: "...goal is to cover wrestling as a journalist."
Gagne: "Well, if your going to cover it as a journalist, cover it through experience."
Meltzer: "I don’t think pro football writers are asked to go to pro football camp."
Gagne: "Well, a lot of them have."
Meltzer: "Pro football writers? Not very many."
Bischoff: "The one’s with credibility have."
Meltzer: "Okay. Also, when I went to Japan, I trained for two weeks in a wrestling ring with an independent promotion in Japan."
Gagne: "Which one."
Meltzer: "Well, it was the group that eventually became the FMW group."
Gagne: "The what group?"
Meltzer: "The Frontier Martial Arts group."
Gagne: "Frontier... I’ve never heard of that... Do they have some big names in there training?"
Meltzer: "I was in there with some of them and we did this and that. I’m not trying to pretend I know the first thing about working inside the nnq as a professional wrestler. But I did it because I wanted to learn what it felt like. I did do that, though."
Gagne: "Weil, you should come to our camp."
Bischoff: "I’ll be honest with you. I am speaking for Verne Gagne and I probably shouldn't do that, but I would guess if you guys went through the camp and stayed with the camp he’d probably advertise his magazine on his show."
Meltzer: "I'd get some broken bones on the way, though.

(I presume that "the group that eventually became the FMW group" means the ring in Wally Yamaguchi's basement that Gedo, Jado, Super Delfin, and company trained in after Takeshi Puroresu Gundan fell apart.)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Meltzer do the transcription?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

They just wanted Wade and Dave to "come to the camp" so they could stretch them like dickheads anyway

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that really does feel like a poorly concealed trap.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im gonna ask in the mailbag about dave's training session with the FMW people. hopefully it gets asked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dave isn't a worker, but he knows enough about pro wrestling to avoid the Gagne camp. (Was it still a freezing torture barn at that point?)

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
gently caress verne gagne and his skinny fat failson imo

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Gavok posted:

Legitimately great TV match: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5x3chv

As 1glitch0 says, it’s HHH at his most giving. Plus while Taka is not an all time great, he’s one of the best underdogs ever. When he’s wrestling an impossible opponent like this, every single move says “I can do this if I just try hard enough.” He believes in himself and drags the audience along.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did Meltzer do the transcription?
No, there's some OCR poo poo I missed when I was doing the notes for the Death of the AWA shows on the Between The Sheets Patreon.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Thanlis posted:

Legitimately great TV match: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5x3chv

As 1glitch0 says, it’s HHH at his most giving. Plus while Taka is not an all time great, he’s one of the best underdogs ever. When he’s wrestling an impossible opponent like this, every single move says “I can do this if I just try hard enough.” He believes in himself and drags the audience along.

ill watch this every time it comes up, one of my favorite matches ever as a kid

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Why were there so many injuries in the Brawl for All? I assume the injury rate in boxing and MMA isn't anywhere near that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Dave isn't a worker, but he knows enough about pro wrestling to avoid the Gagne camp. (Was it still a freezing torture barn at that point?)

Gagne moved it to an office building in 1973 or 1974. There is footage of Chris Taylor outside, so it was at least partially there in 1973. Ricky Steamboat's class (1974) involved firemen's carries and the like up several flights of stairs.

I don't think Gagne had trained a full class in 10+ years in 1990, but yes that definitely was an invitation for Meltzer to get stretched.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

davidbix posted:

From the April 2, 1990 issue of the Torch, transcribing a portion of a radio roundtable featuring Wade Keller, Dave Meltzer, Greg and Verne Gagne, and Eric Bischoff:

Meltzer: "The Frontier Martial Arts group."

It's surprising Dave hates deathmatch wrestling considering he's an FMW guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Grey posted:

Why were there so many injuries in the Brawl for All? I assume the injury rate in boxing and MMA isn't anywhere near that.

Nobody was really trained for it, save for like Shamrock who didn't want to do it and Dan Severn who decided he had nothing to prove (and he was right) after winning his first round. Steve Blackman too but he had to pull out after a training injury. So you basically had a lot of big men flailing at each other, as likely to injure themselves as each other.

My favorite BFA story is still when the boys were being told it was anything goes at first apparently Blackman's hand shot up and he immediately asked if that meant he could low kick somebody to blow their knee out. They revised the 'anything goes' bit after that.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Gagne moved it to an office building in 1973 or 1974. There is footage of Chris Taylor outside, so it was at least partially there in 1973. Ricky Steamboat's class (1974) involved firemen's carries and the like up several flights of stairs.

I don't think Gagne had trained a full class in 10+ years in 1990, but yes that definitely was an invitation for Meltzer to get stretched.

Wade Keller has a story about when he first started our a wrestling journalist. I can't remember if it was Gagne or Brad Riggins, but one of them invited them down to their wrestler camp for a day to report on it and see what it's like. Keller was going to go, but got a warning call from a friend the day before telling him not to show up because they planned to stretch him.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Nobody was really trained for it, save for like Shamrock who didn't want to do it and Dan Severn who decided he had nothing to prove (and he was right) after winning his first round. Steve Blackman too but he had to pull out after a training injury. So you basically had a lot of big men flailing at each other, as likely to injure themselves as each other.

My favorite BFA story is still when the boys were being told it was anything goes at first apparently Blackman's hand shot up and he immediately asked if that meant he could low kick somebody to blow their knee out. They revised the 'anything goes' bit after that.

I just watched the Brawl for All episode of Dark Side of Wrestling. Bart Gunn looks completely different, and I really feel bad for the guy. He did everything they asked him to do, and they purposely put him up against Butterbean to ruin him. Vince just grinning when Butterbean told him Gunn had no chance against him was disgusting.

The only good thing that came out of it was Bradshaw getting destroy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Grey posted:

I think it boils down to a few things.

There's a big difference between a guy who's "tough" and "can handle himself" and a trained fighter. And it seems hey really had no loving idea. From what Ross et al said in the DSotR episode, they really believed that a college wrestler/footballer with no boxing experience was going to win a boxing tournament.

While pro wrestling is dangerous, but it's dangerous in a different way from competitive sports. You're pushing yourself to the limit in a frantic struggle against someone else doing the same. Under those conditions, you don't get hurt because your partner hosed up and dropped you--you just have body parts give out on you. (I mean, some of the greatest wrestlers ever were college athletes who retired due to injury.)

As for the format itself, I think some of the fighters weren't clear on the rules? It's easy to get hurt by a takedown you're not expecting. Untrained guys boxing is arguably more dangerous than untrained MMA. Because you have guys with no defense, and gloves that protect their hands well, taking wild shots at each other's heads.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On top of this I really doubt WWF were fully prepared to run MMA fights with the proper refereeing, guidelines, medical provisions, etc.

Aren't there sometimes like months after a shoot fight before doctors are prepared to say "Yeah this guy can fight again"? I doubt WWF were spacing these out properly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's true. Though for comparison, at this point MMA was still running one night tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
apropos of nothing, what matches do y'all recommend for big spots that were entirely safe and covered in a convincing fashion (like, say, successfully-hidden crash pads)

i'd be interested in seeing ways people have covered for it in the past