Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Speaking of Prosser I did find it quite funny that all the new Mac mini renders I've seen since his original one have quietly had a 3.5mm audio jack added on after his render left it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/29/jony-ive-involved-in-24-imac/

:kiss: the comments

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
JONY IVE STILL ALIVE

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Butt Savage posted:

JONY IVE STILL ALIVE

he has encased a bit of his soul in every touch bar like an unwanted electronics voldemort

coke
Jul 12, 2009

lol

AlternateAccount posted:

"In initial tests focused on graphics, such as Geekbench 5, the ‌M1‌ ‌iMac‌ outperforms the custom 21.5-inch ‌iMac‌ with a score of 7,700, compared to the Intel Core i9 scoring 7,400. In Geekbench tests for computing, the ‌M1‌ ‌iMac‌ scores 20,000 compared to the 21.5-inch ‌‌iMac‌‌ featuring the Radeon Pro 555X, receiving a score of 15,789."

Also, Blender still has to run under Rosetta. Being able to do as well as it does vs. that chip is actually pretty impressive.

YouTube is so dumb.

yeah the M1 still can't hold a candle to real computers for real heavy workloads like higher end intel with gob of 8~10 cores, or even AMD's new ryzen 3 systems with like 8-16 cores
M1 is also pretty bad compare to higher end GPUs such as the 3080/3090, not mentioning using them for real games that mostly runs on windows only

however M1 performs great for how little power it consumes though and it was impressive that they were able to cram it into an ipad. Which is not surprising since it's actually just a chip design based on mobile parts for low powered stuff

imagine a phone or laptop with fully fledged 10900k, 3090 and a battery/cooling unit for it

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/mdp/h...-32gb#!&tab=vao like one of these?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You can also get a complete M1 system for the price of just one of those mentioned graphics cards. No-one's acting like it's some grand new top end, but M1 laptops do absolutely stand up against their Windows price equivalents. I think a base model Mac mini would also match up well against an equal cost Windows prebuilt system.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I like how it’s a Z series model and therefore in their “business” line of products.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

njsykora posted:

You can also get a complete M1 system for the price of just one of those mentioned graphics cards. No-one's acting like it's some grand new top end, but M1 laptops do absolutely stand up against their Windows price equivalents. I think a base model Mac mini would also match up well against an equal cost Windows prebuilt system.
“As you can see, the M1 gets destroyed by a product in a much higher, halo market segment and also doesn’t exist in any practical sense.”

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Laslow posted:

I like how it’s a Z series model and therefore in their “business” line of products.

I don't know much about HP product lines, but I suspect most of these are sold to companies who have VR destinations in mind.

To add some content for you Mac nerds, here's AMD doing big L3 cache memory on TOP of it's chiplets. This is the 1 layer version @ 192MB of cache, but supposedly the tech allows for an 8x stack giving 1.5GB. It's not something you'd run a whole system on, but is a big win for performance. Trouble is, Apple can eat the huge cache/memory costs on their chips since they own the hardware stack, while AMD has to sell these chips to people. Also, AMD can't get rid of external memory with these, it's a bit apples to oranges as this is much faster than standard memory tho.These will be on the high end. In any case, it's cool to see chip stacking finally coming to the market, seems that the M chips are going to need to do this in a generation or two so they can increase memory performance and capacity.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16725/amd-demonstrates-stacked-vcache-technology-2-tbsec-for-15-gaming

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 3, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

I don't know much about HP product lines, but I suspect most of these are sold to companies who have VR destinations in mind.

Yeah that’s exactly what it’s for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not gonna lie I would absolutely buy that backpack for VR shenanigans.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Don’t start this poo poo. M1 STAYS winning.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

LRADIKAL posted:

To add some content for you Mac nerds, here's AMD doing big L3 cache memory on TOP of it's chiplets. This is the 1 layer version @ 192MB of cache, but supposedly the tech allows for an 8x stack giving 1.5GB. It's not something you'd run a whole system on, but is a big win for performance. Trouble is, Apple can eat the huge cache/memory costs on their chips since they own the hardware stack, while AMD has to sell these chips to people. Also, AMD can't get rid of external memory with these, it's a bit apples to oranges as this is much faster than standard memory tho.These will be on the high end. In any case, it's cool to see chip stacking finally coming to the market, seems that the M chips are going to need to do this in a generation or two so they can increase memory performance and capacity.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16725/amd-demonstrates-stacked-vcache-technology-2-tbsec-for-15-gaming

I read a claim that having a larger cache is a bad thing after a point. It was along the lines of if its not in the cache then its more memory to have to search through before accessing where it was. This always seemed ridiculous although I'm sure there are diminishing returns.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can't see how having more cache hits could hurt in any conceivable way. It's gotta beat missing and going out to RAM every time. I am not an architect though.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I get why someone makes that video because that’s absolutely going to get clicks, but it would be loving embarrassing if the Intel CPU that can use up to 250W under intense loads got the pants beat off it by an M1 that uses like 4.5x less power.
I mean, it’s still kind of an embarrassing performance for Intel but that’s not really Apple-specific these days.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

I get why someone makes that video because that’s absolutely going to get clicks, but it would be loving embarrassing if the Intel CPU that can use up to 250W under intense loads got the pants beat off it by an M1 that uses like 4.5x less power.
I mean, it’s still kind of an embarrassing performance for Intel but that’s not really Apple-specific these days.

try 10x less power at 23~27W for the M1 measured with an instrument, compare to 10900k's 270W with similar measurement

also lol that the 3080/3090 will use 320~350W alone too, so you get slightly better performance with 600W+

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is the M1 mac still not able emulate linux/windows?

coke
Jul 12, 2009
it runs the windows insider arm version with parallel and some special arm version of linux apparently

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

njsykora posted:

Speaking of Prosser I did find it quite funny that all the new Mac mini renders I've seen since his original one have quietly had a 3.5mm audio jack added on after his render left it off.
Do the newer renders also fix the spacing on the USB-C ports so they don't block each other?

Butt Savage posted:

JONY IVE STILL ALIVE
:five:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gotta be specific with that question cause the different versions of everything and different ways of running them...so the answer ranges from no to yes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nitrousoxide posted:

depending on the version of Linux/Windows you’re talking about, it runs it way way better in a VM than anything currently on the market that’s actually designed to run that version of Windows/Linux

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

depending on the version of Linux/Windows you’re talking about, it runs it way way better in a VM than anything currently on the market that’s actually designed to run that version of Windows/Linux

Yes and I wouldn’t be shocked if windows was apart of next weeks demos. Microsoft is the one needing to do the work here. If I were them I’d be eager to get parallels running as smoothly as possible.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Not specifically about the Mac, but a question about AirTags.

I want to put an AirTag on my bike, but it's stored in a communal area, away from my phone. It's possible that it might not be in contact with my phone for a few days on end. Other people will walk by it with their phones, but they should never travel together (ie, the only time it's moving should be with me).

Will the anti-stalking measures cause it to make noises after awhile if I don't go near it, or does the object need to be in transit with someone else for awhile first?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Not specifically about the Mac, but a question about AirTags.

I want to put an AirTag on my bike, but it's stored in a communal area, away from my phone. It's possible that it might not be in contact with my phone for a few days on end. Other people will walk by it with their phones, but they should never travel together (ie, the only time it's moving should be with me).

Will the anti-stalking measures cause it to make noises after awhile if I don't go near it, or does the object need to be in transit with someone else for awhile first?

I believe for the anti-stalking measures to come in to play the AirTags need to be actively moving with someone else.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Skeezy posted:

I believe for the anti-stalking measures to come in to play the AirTags need to be actively moving with someone else.

so when someone steals your bike if they can avoid you for 8 hours they'll be able to hear and remove it!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Yes and I wouldn’t be shocked if windows was apart of next weeks demos. Microsoft is the one needing to do the work here. If I were them I’d be eager to get parallels running as smoothly as possible.

probably not a thing when microsoft has just started teasing a new version of windows

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

mediaphage posted:

so when someone steals your bike if they can avoid you for 8 hours they'll be able to hear and remove it!

My second thought is that couldn't you just pop open the AirTag and bridge the speaker on the PCB (or put a resistor/etc over it)? That would make the speaker. Or does it otherwise stop you from viewing its location as well if it's in anti-stalking mode?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you're talking straight up x86 emulation, Parallels says they're only supporting ARM based OSes at the moment, and VMWare flat out said they don't think they'll make enough money doing x86 emulation on Apple Silicon.

Or to put it even more bluntly, this is from the VMWare Blog entry dated 4/27/21:

VMWare posted:

We don’t plan to support installing or running x86 VMs on Macs with Apple silicon.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

My second thought is that couldn't you just pop open the AirTag and bridge the speaker on the PCB (or put a resistor/etc over it)? That would make the speaker. Or does it otherwise stop you from viewing its location as well if it's in anti-stalking mode?
Alternatively if you don't want to open it up, the diaphragm is the plastic side of the case so you might be able to just muffle it with some pressure and padding.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

If you're talking straight up x86 emulation, Parallels says they're only supporting ARM based OSes at the moment, and VMWare flat out said they don't think they'll make enough money doing x86 emulation on Apple Silicon.

Or to put it even more bluntly, this is from the VMWare Blog entry dated 4/27/21:

Thats a shame, I use Windows via VMware on my current mac for work. I'm hoping someone will have a solution for it at some point.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
haven't some people got windows on arm working in vms, and use microsoft's windows on arm x86 emulator for some things?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

Thats a shame, I use Windows via VMware on my current mac for work. I'm hoping someone will have a solution for it at some point.

Can your work supply you with a remote desktop / VDI / whatever? It's very task-dependent but 99% of stuff can be done in a well implemented virtual desktop now with no noticeable lag.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Can I get a DONGLE or DOCK recommendation please?

Situation:
I use a 16" MacBook Pro for work, and a Asus G15 AMD gaming laptop for personal use/gaming. It does not have Thunderbolt, but it has 2 usb c ports.

I use two usb-c -> Displayport cables to connect to my 2 displays. Displayport is used because they are 144hz monitors, and this can only be achieved w/ Displayport.

The challenge is, I have to unplug/replug 4 cables every time I swap devices (2 DP/USBC, power, and 1 USB to my monitor as a hub).

In an ideal world, I would just use my thunderbolt dock, but the AMD laptop doesn't have thunderbolt.

------------
tl;dr
Is there a single cable solution out there that can carry 2x Displayport, a few USB devices, and perhaps power to my MacBook so I can simplify this process?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Can your work supply you with a remote desktop / VDI / whatever? It's very task-dependent but 99% of stuff can be done in a well implemented virtual desktop now with no noticeable lag.

I put I ran Windows 10 through Synology's VM thing on my dinky NAS then used Remote Desktop and it isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm sure a proper setup would work great.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

mediaphage posted:

haven't some people got windows on arm working in vms, and use microsoft's windows on arm x86 emulator for some things?

Yes. I haven't gotten a chance to test it out much so I don't know how well it performs, but Parallels can install the Windows Insider preview version of Windows 10 for ARM, and that has built-in emulator to run x86 Windows apps.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, a lot of people are crowing about the second part, since Microsoft's x86 emulation actually appears to be quite decent.

Here's the thing, though.. its only working with Windows 10 for ARM INSIDER PREVIEW which is currently free. There is no guarantee Microsoft will not decide to either start charging or yank the ability of W10ARM to run in a VM when it finally becomes final / RC or some hosed up combo of these two. It's already a given they'll eventually start charging for serials..

The other big and free x86 VM app, VirtualBox has only mentioned token support for Apple Silicon..

Currently it seems only UTM / QEMU is the only x86 emulator running natively on AS, but it has no hardware acceleration support, it can only handle software renders which means its fooblitzky for games.

Remote desktops seem to be the way the industry is headed anyway, even for gaming

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 4, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Is Microsoft's x86 emulation still incredibly bad? I remember that's one of the things people keep saying about why not to bother with Windows ARM.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought all x86 emulation on non-AS ARM sucked because without AS’s hardware support it’s really expensive to correctly implement the x86 memory model.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

track day bro! posted:

I wonder how well you’d be served by some kind of VPS or DaaS running windows. I used an AWS one for a few weeks and it was surprisingly good.

This list seems like a good starting point: https://geekflare.com/virtual-desktop-hosting-platforms/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, a lot of people are crowing about the second part, since Microsoft's x86 emulation actually appears to be quite decent.

Here's the thing, though.. its only working with Windows 10 for ARM INSIDER PREVIEW which is currently free. There is no guarantee Microsoft will not decide to either start charging or yank the ability of W10ARM to run in a VM when it finally becomes final / RC or some hosed up combo of these two. It's already a given they'll eventually start charging for serials..

The other big and free x86 VM app, VirtualBox has only mentioned token support for Apple Silicon..

Currently it seems only UTM / QEMU is the only x86 emulator running natively on AS, but it has no hardware acceleration support, it can only handle software renders which means its fooblitzky for games.

Remote desktops seem to be the way the industry is headed anyway, even for gaming

That's one of the main reasons VMWare hasn't jumped in yet because the Windows 10 Arm stuff is kinda temporary at the moment. They'll let parallels play in that sandbox for a while but VMWare has big boy contracts with companies who would be rightly pissed if the virtualization rug got pulled out from under them.