Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

I made the mistake of googling the prices of AC parts after paying an expert to replace a bad electrical component and an old one. :smith: I would have never been able to diagnose the issue of the capacitor not distributing the correct electricity to everything else, but it feels bad.

Think of it less as paying for the part and the time, more that you're renting many years of education and experience.

(let's ignore how much money the guy's company is skimming off the fee)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:rip:

I guess call grizzly support and fuss at them and see what they say? May have to pull that grey box with the tensioney parts in it?

Yeah, I called them up, and asked if I could just dremel off the bottom of the threaded rod. They said "sure", so that's what I did. :v: It took two cuts to get everything off, because I had such limited clearance to work with, but it's done, finally. I may need to junk the square nut that the threaded rod had seized on, but customer support told me what replacement to get, it's just a standard size. Here's hoping that the hard part is over!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have two ceiling fans where the pullchain for the lights are stuck, is this generally an easy repair or should I expect to replace the entire thing?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rhyno posted:

I have two ceiling fans where the pullchain for the lights are stuck, is this generally an easy repair or should I expect to replace the entire thing?

It’s like a $3 part and “replace ceiling fan switch” should net you a bunch of youtubes.

If you’re comfortable replacing a wall switch or outlet, you should be safe. Same safety rules apply.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eddiewalker posted:

It’s like a $3 part and “replace ceiling fan switch” should net you a bunch of youtubes.

If you’re comfortable replacing a wall switch or outlet, you should be safe. Same safety rules apply.

Yeah I don't know why I didn't browse YT first, just exhausted I guess. I found what seems to be the fix, thanks!

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

glynnenstein posted:

A good chance to post a circuit breaker trip curve. It's very clever.

Long time values for slight over-current situations are thermally tripped, short time values are magnetically tripped. A breaker will tolerate a very brief transient current significantly over the rating (on this chart pretending it's a 20 amp breaker means it will allow a 200 amp inrush for over a second). Different breakers do have different curves to help accommodate different loads and equipment, but that mostly doesn't come into residential situations.

This is really cool. I haven't ever really thought about it, but kind of figured they would just trip when 20.1 amps went through.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Took the cabinets down and the kitchen is so so much better!

I'm still surprised that these heavy solid wood cabinets were held so solidly by just diagonal nails into the ceiling and 3 nails into the wall. It took a good 20 minutes of careful prying to get them down and they're about as heavy as a dresser.

mutata posted:

Chances are they'll just separate from the grout/caulk when you start moving the cabinets a bit. Otherwise you can get a grout removal tool, but then you'll have to regrout/recaulk that area. I'd just give it a try and wiggle that part of the cabinet carefully during demo and see if it would just separate. There's a thin little line of grout touching the cabinets, but a bunch of thinset attaching the tiles to the wall, so that's probably what's gonna win.

This ended up being true

Leperflesh posted:

Put some painter's tape covering the tile as you pull the cabinet away, so that if one tile comes loose it doesn't fall down and shatter and you can subsequently stick it back in place and repair the grout.

This was a good idea too, i did it, though luckily no tiles came loose

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

This is really cool. I haven't ever really thought about it, but kind of figured they would just trip when 20.1 amps went through.

We once found some 20a breakers sitting at 23-26amps rms. Whoops. As long as you're slow and gentle and the room is very cold you can do some very naughty things to breakers. They started doing monthly clamp readings and weekly thermal imaging after that. (We were paying flat rate for the breaker so no remote monitoring/metering.)

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

DreadLlama posted:

Where can I get the best price in Canada? Will mat work OK or do I need woven?

Alternate question: Is there a better material for this application?

Does it actually need to be rigid? I assume your reflective material will be essentially a big piece of sheet metal or something like that. If it’s pressing down on the support, as long as the support is taught it should be good. If it’s regular canvas or poly or nylon webbing, you could fasten one side and pull/relax the other side for adjusting focus.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I planned to use a sheet of mylar cloth as it is much cheaper than sheet metal,

https://www.amazon.ca/VIVOSUN-Horticulture-Highly-Reflective-Mylar/dp/B018VI75CS/ vs. . Sheet metal that you can polish to a mirror finish have it stay a mirror finish is expensive. The plan is to have a rigid backing that I can glue mylar to and replace every season, (I only need it to work when maple sap is flowing).

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

I was poking around in my garage, and came across this thing, and I'm not sure what it is:

The fact that it was painted over doesn't help, but the two jacks on the left I'm pretty sure are RJ-11, and correspond to the two 'regular' phone lines in the house, although we don't have landline service so I didn't bother testing.

The real mystery to me are the two boxes in the middle. It looks like each phone line goes into them, and each one has three outputs which feed into the box on the right. AFAICT the outlet box doesn't have any plugs -- the 6 wires go straight in.

The boxes seem to be held to the wall by two screws coming from the interior -- I tried unscrewing the screw in the middle, but that didn't help with pulling them off, and I guess that screw perhaps lets you open up the box, although it's probably glued shut by the paint. But before I go poking around with my utility knife, I figured it's probably best to find out what it is.

Any ideas?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

floWenoL posted:

I was poking around in my garage, and came across this thing, and I'm not sure what it is:

The fact that it was painted over doesn't help, but the two jacks on the left I'm pretty sure are RJ-11, and correspond to the two 'regular' phone lines in the house, although we don't have landline service so I didn't bother testing.

The real mystery to me are the two boxes in the middle. It looks like each phone line goes into them, and each one has three outputs which feed into the box on the right. AFAICT the outlet box doesn't have any plugs -- the 6 wires go straight in.

The boxes seem to be held to the wall by two screws coming from the interior -- I tried unscrewing the screw in the middle, but that didn't help with pulling them off, and I guess that screw perhaps lets you open up the box, although it's probably glued shut by the paint. But before I go poking around with my utility knife, I figured it's probably best to find out what it is.

Any ideas?

Most likely just junction boxes / splitters. Do you by any chance have 6 sockets throughout the house? 3 per line?

Should be safe to open.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What's the best way to fill holes in turf?

Sprained my drat ankle on a hole in the backyard the other day. Pretty sure it's critter-related, but not sure if it's active or not. We'll find out after we fill it! Known about it for a while, but generally avoided it up until now.

So stupid question, what do I fill it with? Sand + whatever dirt I can find? Potting soil? It's like 6" diameter and who knows how deep.

We have bermuda, so I could fill it with broken glass and cigarette butts and the grass will probably grow over it, so that's less of a concern. Most important is doing it right so it doesn't have to get re-done a dozen times due to compacting/washing away/whatever.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 9, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are LG appliances still having issues with being impossible to repair? Or is that just refrigerators? Buying a new range and am on the fence between LG and Frigidaire. I couldn't find an appliance thread so I came here.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
I'm trying to figure out how this old window in my house is supposed to work. All of the windows in my house are new except for these these historical stained glass windows. Below is an example of one. I know I at least need a painter. I'm trying to figure out if I need a window person too. Is this supposed to close all the way? There's no hook on the right like there is on the left. Water gets in when it rains hard.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Are LG appliances still having issues with being impossible to repair? Or is that just refrigerators? Buying a new range and am on the fence between LG and Frigidaire. I couldn't find an appliance thread so I came here.

The biggest issue with things like LG refrigerators is the compressor is a closed system so if it goes bad you have a 10yr warranty on the part but it's still $700+ in labor to fix it (ask me how I know! :buddy:)

Gas ranges seem pretty simple to me though so I don't think brand matters as much.

There's a bit of appliance chat in the home ownership thread, you can try asking there too.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774735

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I just added a video doorbell to my house... I added a transformer and used the dongle from the doorbell as well. Unifi g4 if that matters.

Is there a way I can use the video portion and remove the chime box out of the circuit completely? I prefer the app notification and the home automation setup that plays a custom mp3.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrChrome posted:

I'm trying to figure out how this old window in my house is supposed to work. All of the windows in my house are new except for these these historical stained glass windows. Below is an example of one. I know I at least need a painter. I'm trying to figure out if I need a window person too. Is this supposed to close all the way? There's no hook on the right like there is on the left. Water gets in when it rains hard.

It appears that you have ancient wood-framed, panel storm windows that are held in with hooks & eyes. Typically these are hung from the top by some kind of anchor arrangement, installed from outside; then you go inside & pull then in snug, and lock them with the hooks.

Of course, with that ornamental ironwork outside, it may no longer be possible to remove the storms, which is typically done in the spring

The stained-glass inner windows probably have some kind of turn latch on the inside.

The storms are shot to hell, and should be rebuilt or replaced. The framing that I can see on the stained-glass inners doesn't look so hot, either...and here is the fun of owning wood windows: every once in a while, some poor schmuck gets stuck with having to dismount them, re-glaze them, sand and re-paint them. And it they're truly shot, rebuild the frames.

It's your turn.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Gyshall posted:

I just added a video doorbell to my house... I added a transformer and used the dongle from the doorbell as well. Unifi g4 if that matters.

Is there a way I can use the video portion and remove the chime box out of the circuit completely? I prefer the app notification and the home automation setup that plays a custom mp3.

There’s probably no reason you can’t disconnect the wires bringing power to the chime, and the wires sending power from the chime to the doorbell, then wire-nut them together. It’s low voltage AC so polarity doesn’t matter.

In my experience with both Ring and Nest, there are times when the notifications are significantly delayed, and you’re going to miss someone at the door entirely. If you care.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The ground floor of my old house has knotty pine walls that are actual boards of knotty pine. Part of one board is weeping pine sap. Can I just wash it off with mineral spirits sand go my merry way? What's the best cleaner to avoid stripping the finish?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I want to attach an LED light strip to a cargo bicycle for a temporary decoration and I'm hoping it can just be powered by a power bank.

But I'm a bit confused by voltages and wattages, if the LED strip says 12 Volts and the battery can output at 12 Volts that should be fine correct?

Also if anyone has experience converting a LED strip to be powered by a power bank it would be really helpful to know how you connected the two.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The ground floor of my old house has knotty pine walls that are actual boards of knotty pine. Part of one board is weeping pine sap. Can I just wash it off with mineral spirits sand go my merry way? What's the best cleaner to avoid stripping the finish?

If there's sap coming out, they weren't fully dried. Permanently fixing it is somewhat of an involved process, but here's a fully detailed answer. Seems like you should be able to wipe it down with turpentine or mineral oil.

WHAT ARE THE WAYS OF CLEANING THE SAP? posted:

There are several methods to clean sap off wood, with the only tried and tested way is to scrape the sap off after it has dried. One of the challenges of having untreated lumber is that the sap will be soft and sticky, making it a big pain to deal with.

Once the sap has hardened, it can be relatively easy to scrape off. If you would like to try and get sap out of your wood without sending it to be treated or risking your finished piece to be damaged, you can use a heat gun. Heating the sap and getting it to ooze out of the wood is an easy way of getting rid of sap in smaller pieces of wood.

Once you scrape off the excess sap, use a cleaning solvent like mineral oil or turpentine to clean the rest of the sap off. Sand the surface down to 240 grit, and than apply a sealer to the surface. Shellac works the best because you can put a layer of shellac on the bare wood, than stain, paint or varnish over the shellac.

Without knowing what the finish is, the second part can't really be answered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eddiewalker posted:

Hey I just did both fans in about 20 minutes!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We have mostly vertical sliding windows for the smaller windows in our house. At least two of them have the side locks of the sliding section broken off, so while opening it is fine, trying to then close the window can make it fall off if you aren't pushing 100% downwards and not at all towards yourself. To clarify, not talking about the middle latch to lock the window from being opened, the two sliders on each end are cracked off so nothing is really holding it up well.

Can these be replaced? Looking at it, appears they are just inserts so with the right tools I figure I oughta be able to yank em out, but where would I find replacements?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The previous owners of our house put in some kind of tape over the laminate to keep the rug from slipping. So far we have hit the residue with Goo Gone, Dawn, and Murphy's oil soap, and each time the supposedly clean surface had become sticky and started accumulating dirt. Anybody got a favorite goo dissolver?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Douse it with WD-40, let it sit a few minutes, wipe up the residue, then clean it up with Murphy's Oil Soap.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anybody got a favorite goo dissolver?

I spit on things a lot.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

3M 6041 citrus base adhesive remover

Make sure you use it in a well ventilated area, the fact that it’s natural terpenes doesn’t make them any less of an irritant, much less a solvent. That poo poo will strip paint if you’re not careful, but it does a number on glues too.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I am really struggling this morning trying to find the appropriate thread to ask about this in, but I figured a chat thread would probably be the best place to start.

I've been tasked with putting together a list of items for my company to build our own video studio for showing off new products, doing interviews, etc etc. Myself and a co-worker have finished putting our list together, but I thought it might be prudent to post online for scrutiny from people who know more about this than we do before we go spending thousands of dollars on equipment we may not need.

What's the best thread to get feedback on my itemized video studio budget?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

timp posted:

I am really struggling this morning trying to find the appropriate thread to ask about this in, but I figured a chat thread would probably be the best place to start.

I've been tasked with putting together a list of items for my company to build our own video studio for showing off new products, doing interviews, etc etc. Myself and a co-worker have finished putting our list together, but I thought it might be prudent to post online for scrutiny from people who know more about this than we do before we go spending thousands of dollars on equipment we may not need.

What's the best thread to get feedback on my itemized video studio budget?

I mean the obvious answer is :justpost: but I think that is going to wind up in the realm of a architect or other consultant (perhaps your local smug camera shop?) to look at your space depending on what exactly you're trying to do. Start here, why not, and I imagine cross posting something into The Dorkroom for some of the gear wouldn't hurt. Worst that happens is you're laughed off the forums forever. :v: If it's out of scope people will say so. If you wind up doing a big build I bet people would like pictures, I know I like watching people build stuff / destroy their sanity.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

I mean the obvious answer is :justpost: but I think that is going to wind up in the realm of a architect or other consultant (perhaps your local smug camera shop?) to look at your space depending on what exactly you're trying to do. Start here, why not, and I imagine cross posting something into The Dorkroom for some of the gear wouldn't hurt. Worst that happens is you're laughed off the forums forever. :v: If it's out of scope people will say so. If you wind up doing a big build I bet people would like pictures, I know I like watching people build stuff / destroy their sanity.

gently caress I forgot the cardinal rule of SA: :justpost:

The room itself is your typical office space; dimensions are roughly 11ft x 16ft with a 10ft ceiling. My plan was to use a room dividing curtain to section off about 5 feet of the back of the room, which is meant to function as equipment storage, help with sound muffling, and make the room smaller, requiring less sound baffling overall.

---

CAMERAS
(1) Sony Alpha a7 III, (1) Gopro Hero9

LENS
(1) TAMRON 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

JIB
(1) Edelkrone JibONE Bundle #053, including Pan PRO, HeadPLUS v2, case, controller, etc.

LIGHTS
(1) Neewer 700W Softbox

MICS
(1) EW 112P G4-A, (1) Shure w/ 20ft extension cables

TRIPOD
(1) Manfrotto 290 tripod w/ fluid head

EDITING SOFTWARE
Adobe Premiere (we already have Creative Cloud)

SOUND BAFFLING
(40) SoundAssured 4-packs, (2) Foam Bass Trap 4-packs

DATA STORAGE
(1) Seagate 5TB

BACKDROP
(1) Neewer Green Background Screen

HEADPHONES
(1) Sony MDR-7506

COMPUTER
(1) HP Pavilion Computer

ROOM DIVIDER CURTAIN
(1) BGment Room Divider Curtain

---

My co-conspirator recently added the jib bundle and he's 100% convinced it's needed. It's like $3,700 and by far the most expensive thing on the budget. To me it feels a bit like a novelty, but I can't deny it produces some great, professional looking shots.

Alright, light my rear end up! What's totally unnecessary, and what's totally obvious that I forgot?

Edit: I'm going to crosspost this in a more tech-y forum. We're not planning on, like, building anything here per se so this is definitely not the right place to be looking for feedback!

timp fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 11, 2021

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Can I tape/mud over the dust/dirt that accumulates over the drywall hanging period?

Note in this case it's been like a month and we've been picking at it, and we use the space for laundry still.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

timp posted:

gently caress I forgot the cardinal rule of SA: :justpost:

The room itself is your typical office space; dimensions are roughly 11ft x 16ft with a 10ft ceiling. My plan was to use a room dividing curtain to section off about 5 feet of the back of the room, which is meant to function as equipment storage, help with sound muffling, and make the room smaller, requiring less sound baffling overall.

JIB
(1) Edelkrone JibONE Bundle #053, including Pan PRO, HeadPLUS v2, case, controller, etc.

My co-conspirator recently added the jib bundle and he's 100% convinced it's needed. It's like $3,700 and by far the most expensive thing on the budget. To me it feels a bit like a novelty, but I can't deny it produces some great, professional looking shots.

What sort of products are you going to be trying to photograph? How often are you photographing? How often are you doing video interviews?

My suggestion with that jib, which seems wholly unnecessary unless something about this is way more complicated than a tripod can handle, is for your first few shoots rent it. I assume any pro video store in your area can rent you a super nice one for 5-10% the cost of that for a few days. This lets you both get some time with it without committing to $3,700 in capital expense on a gizmo. This goes for anything that is expensive, sometimes a trip to the rental counter can get you hands on knowledge with things you just can't get looking at a packing list.

I bet you need a second hot light. Either a ring light or a second softbox. Are you doing 0 photography where you might want a speedlight instead?

Link your cross post!

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
I just bought a condo and the light switch in the bathroom is weird. Most of the time when I turn it on it takes like 10 seconds to slowly fade in all the way(not in an on purpose way). It’s a dimmer switch with the little thing next to the switch that slides up and down, but for like 75% of the range on the dimmer it’s like 30% on, and the 100% spot is like 2/3 of the way up instead of all the way at the top.

I’m assuming the switch is either bad or just improperly installed, if I swapped it with just a normal rear end switch is that likely to fix it or is there a chance something bigger is wrong?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Take off the plate and look if there's a little adjustment screw or lever hidden there. If so, dim it all the way down and adjust that lil thing until the lights are at the dimmest level you'd like to see.

Also check that the bulbs are dimmable :v:

It could just be a hosed switch, in which case it's very easy to replace a switch, like entry level diy electrical job. Just know how to use your breaker and test the wires with a no contact tester before touching them.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Up until 20 minutes ago I didn't even realize there were dimmable and non dimmable bulbs, sure would be convenient if it was just that!!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

timp posted:

:snip:

Too add more words of my own on top of Hawk's reply:

You probably need some high speed SD cards to use in whatever (video)cameras you end up purchasing, didn't see those on your list (don't buy from amazon, SD cards are frequently faked, you want real high speed ones from B&H photo or similar).

That HP Pavilion computer, does it come with a color accurate monitor? You'll want a good monitor to edit the footage on so you're not creating something that looks like dogshit on anything except your bespoke but bad monitor. For your stuff you probably don't need a super high end color calibration setup for your monitor, I just bought a Dell monitor that comes calibrated from the factory (it's no longer available but I'm sure they have a new model now that's the same type of thing), it's been great for over 3 years now for my video editing work.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

tangy yet delightful posted:

You'll want a good monitor to edit the footage on so you're not creating something that looks like dogshit on anything except your bespoke but bad monitor [snip]

Not that this is the monitor thread but to expand on this point:

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Asus ProArt line for affordable calibrated monitors. I use a pair of the 24" PA248QV monitors on my editing rig. However, anything that has a calibrated rec.709 mode will work for your use case. Springing for 100% Adobe RGB or DCI-P3 gamut is overkill.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jenkl posted:

Can I tape/mud over the dust/dirt that accumulates over the drywall hanging period?

Note in this case it's been like a month and we've been picking at it, and we use the space for laundry still.

I'm a bit confused, can it not be brushed off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Wowporn posted:

I just bought a condo and the light switch in the bathroom is weird. Most of the time when I turn it on it takes like 10 seconds to slowly fade in all the way(not in an on purpose way). It’s a dimmer switch with the little thing next to the switch that slides up and down, but for like 75% of the range on the dimmer it’s like 30% on, and the 100% spot is like 2/3 of the way up instead of all the way at the top.

I’m assuming the switch is either bad or just improperly installed, if I swapped it with just a normal rear end switch is that likely to fix it or is there a chance something bigger is wrong?

Yes, there's dimmable bulbs. They play nicer with dimmers. Some of the switches have adjustments behind the faceplate for which types of bulbs you use.

Also, who puts a dimmer in a bathroom? Is it to set the mood while you're dropping a deuce?