Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

cuz i want the art duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

just watched all four rebuilds haha jesus christ, gently caress

Paper Lion posted:

imagine watching evangelion for 25 years and then coming into this thread after the big finale and actually complaining that everything worked out this time because they actually communicated for once. like, no poo poo? the whole problem has always been lack of communication, no one ever communicated how they felt, we HAVE PERSONAL A.T FIELDS THAT INHIBIT IT, instrumentality's whole point is to destroy the boundries between each other so we don't need to communicate anymore and exist in singularity. original NGE is "i am sad and it is hard to communicate why without feeling judged, but maybe if i try harder at it and accept my feelings and my problems as my own then i will have a better life" and rebuild is "i managed to communicate my needs, and was rewarded with a better life. you can do it too!" these works are entirely consistent and in conversation with each other. one is made by a man in the middle of the throes of depression, making a work that is telling himself the things he needs to tell himself in order to get through the day and maintain some hope that things could ever change for him one day, and the other is by a man that actually came out the other side and is trying to show other people that he understands where they are now but that they can do it too. i do not say this to be mean, but to the poster above saying they're in therapy and that there's no way people would get better by just talking, i can guarantee you that you will have a lot of success opening up and engaging in radical honesty with yourself and others. this film and series of films was literally made for people in your position. keep at it! anno believes in you!!!

late, but good post

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Could care less about the series being on Blu-ray. It’s a TV show from the mid 90s, the platinum editions I bought back in 2004 are fine. However I want EoE put into my veins at the highest possible resolution

The blu-rays of the tv show look insanely nice actually! Way better than those old dvds.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Comprehensive set, high quality remastered animation.

No fly me to the moon.

Expensive, but will only get more expensive over time.

I have to think on this.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, i can't really picture rebuild gendo in a relationship with ritsuko or her mom.

After rewatching episode 21 recently it's clear that all of Gendous relationships are a mess and just show how broken he is. He is certainly never shown to have any emotional intimacy with anyone. I'd argue that he's literally going through the motions with Naoko as he just doesn't care Now that Yui is gone. When Ritsuko spots her kissing Gendou in the command center he doesn't reciprocate at all. He's very passive and doesn't even hold her (considering Naoko tells him in that scene "you're still not over Yui, but that's acceptable to me" I think that's intentional). Hell when Rei 1 calls her an old hag, we flash back to that scene and while Naoko is tongue deep in him he's just staring past her.

With Ritsuko it's a little messier. He certainly cares about Rei more than he does her, hence sending her to SEELE in Reis place. However, while he doesn't say anything he's visibly disturbed when he confronts Ritsuko after her breakdown. There's definitely an argument that like Shinji Gendou has no idea how to approach people and when they get too close he pushes them away by putting on a cold front (his treatment of Shinji post Yuis death, effectively abandoning Ritsuko etc).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Thinking on it, I’m a bit surprised that they didn’t also have Toji reveal that he has a prosthetic leg as a result of some N3I/Third Impact mishap, to sell a bit more into the eternal recurrence motif that the other Rebuilds had been going for.

One thing about Toji and everyone else in the farming community is that they're out of the cycle. They've been though hell, they've learned, and they're not just doing the same things over and over again. Having them be defined with what they did in the original show hardly fits with them moving on.

Speaking of moving on, it's interesting that Kensuke has a line about how being an otaku was actually a good thing for him. The same obsessions that made him awkward at school turned out to be very useful in surviving the apocalypse. Combine that with Mari, the well adjusted one of the pilots, also being the one who enjoys piloting for itself, and I think some of the talk about the film being anti-escapism goes too far.

The point Anno seems to be going for is the same thing he praises in his wife's manga. You go in, you enjoy your time with the fiction, and then you leave with something that makes you better at dealing with the real world, never completely losing the connection to outside reality.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

frank sinatras family doesn't deserve poo poo

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Neon Genesis Evangelion Megathread: get in the loving credits frank.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Nyeehg posted:

With Ritsuko it's a little messier. He certainly cares about Rei more than he does her, hence sending her to SEELE in Reis place. However, while he doesn't say anything he's visibly disturbed when he confronts Ritsuko after her breakdown. There's definitely an argument that like Shinji Gendou has no idea how to approach people and when they get too close he pushes them away by putting on a cold front (his treatment of Shinji post Yuis death, effectively abandoning Ritsuko etc).

it's a moment that's purposely vague and open to interpretation, but in eoe when he says something to ritsuko the audience can't hear and she calls him a liar, there seems to be too much there to say he was 100% emotionally detached from the situation

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Gkids should have also announced the other editions of Evangelion they’re putting out to alleviate concerns about the price point of this one. But the meltdowns I’m seeing over the thing is absurd. Dumbasses thinking this is the only release they’re doing is one thing, but I’m also seeing people being mad that they’re even including the Netflix subs and dubs as an option. Also tons of people of course putting the blame on GKids and Netflix being cheap as why there’s no Fly Me to the Moon, rather than Sinatra and UMG being either overly demanding or straight refusing.

Music rights between Japan and the USA are nuts for some reason, you can’t even buy the Andrew WK Gundam Rock or Japan Covers albums over here.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

as cool as this collection is (very cool!) i'd be more tempted if it had eva + eoe + rebuilds

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Gkids should have also announced the other editions of Evangelion they’re putting out to alleviate concerns about the price point of this one. But the meltdowns I’m seeing over the thing is absurd. Dumbasses thinking this is the only release they’re doing is one thing, but I’m also seeing people being mad that they’re even including the Netflix subs and dubs as an option. Also tons of people of course putting the blame on GKids and Netflix being cheap as why there’s no Fly Me to the Moon, rather than Sinatra and UMG being either overly demanding or straight refusing.

Music rights between Japan and the USA are nuts for some reason, you can’t even buy the Andrew WK Gundam Rock or Japan Covers albums over here.

This is the thing that always bugs me about any "fandom". I can understand being upset if you're limited to one dub/sub and prefer the other, but to be mad that you can enjoy your choice of the release without worrying that you got the right edition? What the gently caress is wrong with people bitching that they have their preferred sub/dub?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Just wanna throw out that the Sinatra estate has no connection to any of this, they recorded 30 different covers so the holdups are gonna be synchroniszation rights for the lyrics and musical composition which appear to be held in an 8 way tangle of fractional interests that also includes Paul Simon for some reason, and seperate from that the rights for the recording from all of the performers on their covers which one would assume Gainax acquired outright at the time of recording work-for-hire.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ZGoenMusic/status/1428431503101501440

Obviously the solution is to make our own covers of FMTTM and splice them into our collections to make them truly unique

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

marumaru posted:

as cool as this collection is (very cool!) i'd be more tempted if it had eva + eoe + rebuilds
it doesn't...? i saw eoe art in the inserts

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It has EoE, along with Death+Rebirth. It just doesn’t have Rebuild.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ChaosArgate posted:

It has EoE, along with Death+Rebirth. It just doesn’t have Rebuild.
To be honest I expected an "Ultimate Collection" to include the rebuilds but obviously they're gonna do their own release

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Preorders on the box set sold out in the US

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

magic cactus posted:

get in the loving credits frank.

Gonna enact a complex plot to engineer Third Impact just so that I can bring Frank Sinatra back from the dead get his permission to put his third most famous song in the robot anime where the guy jerks it to his girlfriend's corpse. And also blame him for getting Kennedy killed or something. I dunno. Will Third Impact bring JFK back too?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Gonna enact a complex plot to engineer Third Impact just so that I can bring Frank Sinatra back from the dead get his permission to put his third most famous song in the robot anime where the guy jerks it to his girlfriend's corpse. And also blame him for getting Kennedy killed or something. I dunno. Will Third Impact bring JFK back too?

Sort of, when it brings back "Clone High".

Season 2 adds Rei II to the cast in the shocking crossover no-one was expecting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's supposed to be a clone high reboot and dammit now I want Abe to get in the robot and all sorts of anime hijinks

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nothing bad ever happens to the Kennedys!

*2.22 ending*

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Roth posted:

Ahahahaaa! Nothin’ bahd evah happens to the Kennedys!

*2.22 ending*

BWAAAAH

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Unacceptable?! Did you see Unit 01 fighting Sachiel? He flipped the bitch!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
2.22 was the only rebuild film that actually had good fight scenes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Even if it misses the entire episode build-up of Operation Yashima I liked the changes they made to Ramiel in 1.0.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, I think that's why that one was my favorite to watch out of all of them. Asuka's entrance with the intro music is terrific, and the Sahaquiel fight was also awesome. The first movie also gets me super pumped during the fights, and Operation Yashima is always awesome because of its scale. I love how we get to see the massive amount of behind the scenes manpower involved to make the insanity of the Evangelion program work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not getting a proper Mass Produced Series fight is a shame. None of this Particle Eva Emitter CGI poo poo.

Though the 4444 series was nicely disturbing

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
In general I liked the action scenes in 2.0. But I didn't like the Asuka introduction fight. It feels very rushed - we are introduced to the angel (which looks real goofy) and it's dispatched within a few minutes without much trouble.

I think the idea of the scene is that it establishes Asuka as a prodigy pilot (something that is very much "told, not shown" in the original TV show). I like that Asuka is introduced as independent of Shinji in this version, whereas all of her memorable fights in the TV show involve her co-operating with or being rescued by Shinji. But the way it's executed also makes the angels feel weak and non-threatening.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Back when the first rebuild movie came out and it was a retread of the series I kind of checked out from caring and response to the second solidified that I should simply wait until they're all done instead of immersing myself in multiple years of waiting and speculation. I watched them all over the past week and that was certainly the right choice for me. 1 and 2 were gorgeous and fun and great movies but ultimately insignificant in the face of the original work.

3 went wildly off the rails which I loved. I can understand why people would be unhappy with it but not having to wait 9 years for the finale certainly gives me a kinder opinion I might not otherwise have. I am generally a fan of "bad guy won" scenarios for the freedom they afford in how you can tell a story and develop the characters therein so getting to explore some of the ramifications of the third impact, no matter how depressing or repugnant the experience, was an interesting watch but would be less so on its own. 4 builds upon that spectacularly in many ways (the entire village sequence is such a wholesome depiction of friendship and community all around), but also feels rushed and thus fumbles at times. I agree with everybody saying there is an entire other movie worth of exposition in here (most of the the supporting cast are way underdeveloped, especially the ladies who try to stop Shinji you can tell there's more to them if they had the time) and the runtime being so much longer despite the reported cuts certainly signifies this in addition to all the cited production issues and rewrites. I really hope they go through with filling in the time gap somehow, it would be a nice way to add on to what's here without worrying about continuing after the ending.

My biggest complaint in the movies by far, and others have already pointed out many times, is Mari's entire existence. Here we have this cast of flawed characters struggling to overcome their own issues that is core to the franchise, but what does she have to offer the narrative? She's just perfect in every way and never really changes as a person from start to finish. I like her, she's a very spunky Gainax-esque heroine, she has fantastic scenes, gloriously unique mecha designs, and so on. But at the same time she's so weirdly out of place and I feel like they expect the audience to gloss over this because she's the one person someone going through similar issues would like to actually be around in real life.

Overall I think what gives Eva its lasting appeal is how open-ended so much of it is which leaves room for personal interpretation and interpersonal discussion, and how those fan interactions can reflect the conflicts and growth depicted thus deepening your appreciation for the characters. The rebuild movies definitely delivered on that.

Crameltonian posted:

For me Rebuild is complementary/additional to the series/EoE, and I feel it's a very fitting finale to Eva as a whole.

To my understanding, the whole piano duet thing, dual entry plug system, and Kaworu saying that Shinji seeks a world with complements all suggest this too. It may have started out with the intent to supplant but wound up somewhere different and altogether better.

SUNKOS posted:

What I've picked up on when reading about the production history however is that a lot of the cast and crew said that Anno really did change a lot throughout the production of the Rebuilds and during development of Thrice Upon a Time was a very different person.

It sounds like a lot of what was happening internally in the studio played a key part in helping Anno to grow as a person and Thrice Upon a Time definitely reflects that, I think.

I'm really fond of the film and the ending we got but looking into what was happening behind the scenes only elevates it in my opinion, especially since they once again break the fourth wall so knowing how things played out in reality as this was made makes it more impactful than it already was, in my opinion. Knowing that Anno himself really changed and grew throughout the process himself after slipping into depression again compliments the story a lot.

Couldn't agree more and the parallels between art and artist at play here and in the original are one of the reasons I love it so much, thanks for summarizing some of this. Definitely need to check out that documentary for myself.

SUNKOS posted:

With everything that's happened to her from the TV series to EoE and throughout the Rebuilds I feel like she was the only one who didn't really get a happy ending like everyone else. She goes out in an even worse way ... but in the closing she's all alone, which we know is something that hurts her deeply from the segment of her as a child..

To me it seemed the message was that she's finally okay with being alone. Her entire life has been spent trying to define herself by her worth to others, but here she is in her ideal realization just being on her own and not freaking out over it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The usb flip!

This is one of the nicest touches I caught in all the movies and them referring to it as like working on a 8-bit pc was hilarious.

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m with Rocko Botte from Mega 64 in that I feel Gendo’s perfect ultimate comeuppance wasn’t getting told off by Yui and chomped on by a metaphorical Unit-01 in the Third Impact equivalent of a bad trip, but seeing Gendo reduced to a weeping child on the Character Epiphany Express with Shinji standing over him looking down on him in pity and disgust. Gendo never got a breakdown like everyone else in the show did, and the climax of the whole franchise being him under the spotlight was amazing.

This was an incredibly unexpected yet welcome turn of events for me. Shinji finally deciding to do the one thing he's never tried or really even been given the option for - just loving talk to the man - and them both discovering that they're more similar than they ever understood or admitted really put a not-at-all-subtle point on the whole mess they're in.

Well Manicured Man posted:

All of Utada Hikaru's songs for the Rebuild series are god tier

Nobody ever said the best girl had to be a character in the story, right?

Paper Lion posted:

imagine watching evangelion for 25 years and then coming into this thread after the big finale and actually complaining that everything worked out this time because they actually communicated for once. like, no poo poo? the whole problem has always been lack of communication, no one ever communicated how they felt, we HAVE PERSONAL A.T FIELDS THAT INHIBIT IT, instrumentality's whole point is to destroy the boundries between each other so we don't need to communicate anymore and exist in singularity. original NGE is "i am sad and it is hard to communicate why without feeling judged, but maybe if i try harder at it and accept my feelings and my problems as my own then i will have a better life" and rebuild is "i managed to communicate my needs, and was rewarded with a better life. you can do it too!" these works are entirely consistent and in conversation with each other. one is made by a man in the middle of the throes of depression, making a work that is telling himself the things he needs to tell himself in order to get through the day and maintain some hope that things could ever change for him one day, and the other is by a man that actually came out the other side and is trying to show other people that he understands where they are now but that they can do it too. i do not say this to be mean, but to the poster above saying they're in therapy and that there's no way people would get better by just talking, i can guarantee you that you will have a lot of success opening up and engaging in radical honesty with yourself and others. this film and series of films was literally made for people in your position. keep at it! anno believes in you!!!

Paper Lion posted:

the spear was hilariously on the nose and people are still misinterpreting it? SHINJI GREW A loving SPINE, IT'S A LITERAL SPINE FROM THE SPACE SHIP. its not magic powers, its loving self confidence!!! christ

:same:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While true, I still like 1.11 for showing just what "Using all the power in Japan" would actually entail for setting up something like that. Or anything involving the first angel. I just have a soft spot for that giant vaugly-humanoid sack with boney bits. Guy knew he was going to lose and tried to take Unit 01 with him, gotta respect that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I fall on the Rocco side of the Rebuilds being less of a story in of themselves and more a behind-the-scenes revisit of Eva to try to answer the question "what does Eva mean to me in 2021?" So in that sense the action scenes feel kind of immaterial, both in whatever flashy nonsense gets thrown up on the screen and their actual thematic importance. To me it's almost like worrying about the action scenes in Hearts of Darkness not being as good as Apocalypse Now.

I miss the the weightiness of the original show but if I want to see those action scenes again I'll rewatch the show/EoE.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

That one specific shot of Rebuild Ramiel retaliating against the sniper shot was so loving cool. tfw it folds in on itself to wind up a shot that can melt mountains https://youtu.be/u26WYI9oxoA :allears:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I dont know how anyone couldn't love the remade Ramiel fight in the first film. Ramiel goes from being a relatively unassuming cube which honestly isn't very imposing, to being a shape shifting death cannon. Sachiel and Shamshel are not really different enough to say that they are any better or worse than the TV series, but the visual upgrade alone is pretty stunning. The Glowing armour on Unit 1 against Sachiel is really awesome looking.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'll speak up for the original Ramiel. The rebuild one is cool I guess, but the motionless hovering pyramid immune to all harm is way more foreboding and threatening.

The Rebuild fight with the buildup and showing the devastation is better, though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don’t know who needs to hear this but, The fights aren’t even the reason why Evangelion is so good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still got my 1.11 dvd with the shiny cover, I'm not giving it up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don’t know who needs to hear this but, The fights aren’t even the reason why Evangelion is so good.

Yeah, well they sure as poo poo don't detract from the show either :v:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This is thematically true, but if you're gonna say Eva would be the same without the good and pretty giant robot fights I think you're wrong.

If this last one has any demerit its that we don't really have anything as cool with the robots as shown in the first 3, which is okay because you're right it wasn't the point but its kind of a bummer none the less that in the grand finale we couldn't get one sequence even close to anything in the first 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the part where Gendo and Shinji fight each other in a really lovely CGI mocap scene on a crappy set was neat.