Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Always felt like the fights in Eva were more a bonus to all the really interesting stuff that happened in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This is thematically true, but if you're gonna say Eva would be the same without the good and pretty giant robot fights I think you're wrong.

If this last one has any demerit its that we don't really have anything as cool with the robots as shown in the first 3, which is okay because you're right it wasn't the point but its kind of a bummer none the less that in the grand finale we couldn't get one sequence even close to anything in the first 3.

Part of me is with you in that I was initially a bit disappointed at there being less big epic action but honestly I ended up appreciating the contrast. My favourite part of the final film may be the village stuff, I feel like it slowed things down and allowed for a lot of development, especially of Rei, which I think was important. Maybe it was a bit simplistic but I found seeing her learn about basic social interactions and human connection powerful.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Archer666 posted:

Always felt like the fights in Eva were more a bonus to all the really interesting stuff that happened in the show.

My two favorite fights are barely that.

Rei/Shinji versus A Shape

And Operation Catch the Fuckin Thing

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Levin posted:

Part of me is with you in that I was initially a bit disappointed at there being less big epic action but honestly I ended up appreciating the contrast. My favourite part of the final film may be the village stuff, I feel like it slowed things down and allowed for a lot of development, especially of Rei, which I think was important. Maybe it was a bit simplistic but I found seeing her learn about basic social interactions and human connection powerful.

I was very cool with what we got and really enjoyed the village time. just kind of a reflection musing. I didn't really think about it during the film, but looking back the action in this one is really much less interesting than in the prior films. Which is OKAY, I think it's an observation not really a criticism.
I think the coolest sequence we got was Unit 2 attempting to Dracula stake Unit 13.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think the part where Gendo and Shinji fight each other in a really lovely CGI mocap scene on a crappy set was neat.

Agreed, once I figured out what was going on with the set I thought it was very neat.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

My two favorite fights are barely that.

Rei/Shinji versus A Shape

And Operation Catch the Fuckin Thing

:same:

Also those are the fights that got turned up to 11 in rebuilds.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
Having thought about it for a few days I have to say that I was disappointed by 3 and 4. I was hoping that the rebuild movies would fix what I consider to be the main flaw in the original series + EoE: the ending, while cool, is very difficult to parse and doesn't flow smoothly from the body of the series. The original series keeps the viewer very much in the dark about what is really going on until about episode 20, at which point it throws a ton of information at you at once that is hard to process in the short time remaining. Critical pieces of information are obscurely hinted at, or never appear onscreen at all (most notoriously the First Ancestral Race, which to me is the key to understanding what is going on).

Obviously, "less confusing Eva" is not the series that Anno made or was remotely trying to make with these movies. I have no idea if the series was ever billed as that - when I heard 1.0 was coming out I decided to read nothing about them and just wait until they were all out to watch them, which was uhhh a bit of a longer wait than I expected. So, I don't feel like I got sold a bill of goods, but this just wasn't the series I was hoping it would be.

The third movie really did very little for me. It spun its wheels for a while and then ended about where 2.0 did (an abortive impact happens, leading to Shinji feeling guilty in the first act of the following movie). I did like that it gave the Shinji-Kaworu relationship more room to breathe. Between the preview at the end of 2.0 and the brief scene in 4 of Kaji somehow stopping the third impact, it's clear that exciting and momentous events happened during the timeskip. I would rather have seen that movie.

There was a lot to like in the fourth movie - I really enjoyed the village sequence and everything with Shinji and Gendo at the end was of course fantastic. But all of the Impact-babble near the end (six spears! anti-universe! golgotha object!) turned me off. I wish there had been more exposition early on about why that stuff matters, how the various parties' scenarios for instrumentality differ, and so on.

My biggest complaint about 3 and 4 may be that the flying battleship was just not cool, and nearly all of the action revolved around the flying battleship. I got a real Gurren Lagann vibe off of it, and not in a good way. Same for the various scenes of Asuka and Mari trashing infinite numbers of scrub enemies. Very few of the action sequences in 3/4 played to eva's strengths; it felt like an entirely different show.

I don't want to start a derail about anime CGI, which has been argued to death, but it was particularly bad and jarring here.

This might be a really bad take! :shrug:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

get me HQ! posted:

But all of the Impact-babble near the end (six spears! anti-universe! golgotha object!) turned me off.
While I think Black Lilith/Evangelion Imaginary isn't explained enough to be cool, the term "Golgotha Object" is pretty sweet and already sticks in my head past the movie's end. Rocco from Mega64 already was cracking jokes about how the new cross-shaped Little Caesar's "Crazy Calzony" grotesquerie is a golgotha object.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdRQ_mOPQzY

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 20, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

While I think Black Lilith/Evangelion Imaginary isn't explained enough to be cool, the term "Golgotha Object" is pretty sweet and already sticks in my head past the movie's end. Rocco from Mega64 already was cracking jokes about how the new cross-shaped Little Caesar's "Crazy Calzony" grotesquerie is a golgotha object.

Wanna see the Little Caesar's "cheese impact" promotional campaign.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Even though the lack of "Fly Me to the Moon" is a shame I ended up ordering the ultimate edition. Been waiting too long for a blu ray and I love the ADV dub too much. No longer have the DVDs so this is probably the last official release that dub will ever get. No new purchases outside essentials for the next couple of months but am so hyped to finally have this in my collection again.

All that being said, if the standard edition ends up having the ADV dub as well I'm gonna be pissed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Probably need a Blu Release that's just the Official Dub for $60, a 'Complete' with the discs for the ADV Dub for like $150, and the sold out Otaku special.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Probably need a Blu Release that's just the Official Dub for $60, a 'Complete' with the discs for the ADV Dub for like $150, and the sold out Otaku special.

Probably. If that happens I'd probably double dip and just keep the ultimate edition in a pristine shrine or something. My big fear is the box holding the discs for the ultimate edition will be a hard plastic mess that damages the disks over time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don’t know who needs to hear this but, The fights aren’t even the reason why Evangelion is so good.

they definitely help tho
EoE wouldn’t be the same without the fight between Asuka and the Eva series

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eva has always been an incredibly good looking and well directed show, although that isn't just limited to the fights.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The thing about the fights in Eva (or any Mecha anime) is that they act as the hook that draw people in. I got into the series when it aired on TV in my teens and the "cool giant robots" are definitely what got me to try the show. Ironically my favourite episodes/moments don't involve fighting (angel invading the Magi, Fuyutsukis flashback, etc) but I never would have learned that if I hadn't been drawn in by the spectacle of the Eva's themselves.

The action may not be the point but it's definitely a necessary element.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Augus posted:

they definitely help tho
EoE wouldn’t be the same without the fight between Asuka and the Eva series

Most of that movie is not fights. Its a dope fight though I agree, but personally I think the fights in the movies are fine too. The CGI is hit or miss but most of the time hits for me, personally

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's a consistent trickle of hatey first watches over in yospos that sum up to "i thought this was about giant robots but shinji just barged into rei's room and now there are bras everywhere". i told you idiots. its not about giant robots. but they're present, and when they are the action is impeccable.

I do agree that there's a distinct difference between NGE with the feeling that they're really heavy but extremely powerful, vs the rebuilds where they feel kind of weightless. I don't really have a preference either way.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm the minimum wage security guard in the SUV making sure that no kids are doing graffiti on the transformers carrying all the electricity from Shin-Hokkaido.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm the minimum wage security guard in the SUV making sure that no kids are doing graffiti on the transformers carrying all the electricity from Shin-Hokkaido.

sandwiches are definitely being messily eaten here

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Somewhere in that episode/film was a dude responsible for cable management of an entire nation's electrical grid into a single gun. The real hero.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Every single work of engineering in Eva is as impossibly fantastical and dreamlike as the biblical magic side of things is and I love it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think an underappreciated part of evangelion is their evacuation process. There's gotta be at least a million people living in Tokyo3, if not more. At least at the start of the series. But they can clear that whole city in like less than a day.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Finally watching the movies. The beauty of the ending to movie 2, is it touches on something EVA TV didn't touch on with all its other successful deconstructions; "I'm about to do something I "know" I shouldn't to save this girl! Because gently caress IT its gonna work!". A trope that's nearly ubiquitous in mecha. You'd think the smoke would clear and Shinji walks out with unconscious Rei in his arms, tastefully covered with a cloth or something. And everyone smiles like "Oh, that Shinji! He's become a warrior!" Hell, Misato had to be buzzkilled by Ritsuko from going right there in the moment.

In any other franchise, with that music playing, and the emotional lunch-based stakes built up, Shinji making it out of there with Rei and the world intact would be a no-brainer. But the poor bastard is in Evangelion 2.

It was actually a baaad move. :smith:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I love all the evacuees camping out during Operation Yashima waiting for the fireworks to start. That must have been a hell of a show, and the astronomy you could do during the buildup would have been pretty as hell with the dark skies.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I feel like I can just say that the fight scenes in 4 were not good. I think they have a thematic resonance with some of the ideas of the movie. Like, they convey this feeling that things are evolving and becoming less recognizable, even down to the way physical objects interact with space. But whenever they were happening I just wanted to see the next bit of character interaction instead.

BUT, some of the pilot animation during the mecha scenes was amazing. Asuka turning into an angel was really awesome to watch, an just a really unexpected visual treat to me. I also got some real Gurren Lagann/Diebuster vibes from the WILLE crew and just the way some of the pilot cockpit shots were composed, which was an interesting departure.

Dishwasher posted:

Finally watching the movies. The beauty of the ending to movie 2, is it touches on something EVA TV didn't touch on with all its other successful deconstructions; "I'm about to do something I "know" I shouldn't to save this girl! Because gently caress IT its gonna work!". A trope that's nearly ubiquitous in mecha. You'd think the smoke would clear and Shinji walks out with unconscious Rei in his arms, tastefully covered with a cloth or something. And everyone smiles like "Oh, that Shinji! He's become a warrior!" Hell, Misato had to be buzzkilled by Ritsuko from going right there in the moment.

In any other franchise, with that music playing, and the emotional lunch-based stakes built up, Shinji making it out of there with Rei and the world intact would be a no-brainer. But the poor bastard is in Evangelion 2.

It was actually a baaad move. :smith:

In the end it ended up being a good decision, because the Rei in Unit-01 helped WILLE out and was able to inherit the memories of other Reis. Part of the sting of 3 is that it makes you think all the sacrifice of NTI was for nothing, but in 4 it turns out that Shinji was right in believing Rei's life had intrinsic worth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
4 was far too enamored with swarms of enemies, to its detriment.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/ameetoe/status/1428781262785810432

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eh, Kaworu seems like he's doing pretty well for himself.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, Kaworu seems like he's doing pretty well for himself.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If only he had had the sense Mari did

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Movie 4 was pretty disappointing aside from the climax and psyche evals, but a solid ending/sequel. Movie definitely was impressed with its own swarm enemies and techno babble. But Shinji deciding to talk Gendo down and talk about his childhood was A+.

I love the triumphant tone of Gendou's Additional Impact, as all the headless naked women march down the road, join hands, and fly around in circles under the watchful eye of Giant Frowning Naked CG Rei, with Gendo and Fuyutsuki looking at the scene like "This! Its absolutely going right! :golfclap:".

Then the nice stinger of "Dum Dum Duuuum" at the end of the scene snaps you back like "Look at this crazy poo poo we're totally hosed :gonk:"

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 21, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pierson posted:

Somewhere in that episode/film was a dude responsible for cable management of an entire nation's electrical grid into a single gun. The real hero.

Unironically one of my favorite shots in all of Eva is after Shinji misses his first shot on Ramiel in Rebuild one and Ramiel counterfires, and then while Shinji is dragging himself and unit 1 back into position for another shot you get a shot of the engineers desperately trying to keep the cabling from getting warped or melted in the wreckage while Unit 1 struggles to its feet in the background. It really embodies a lot of the franchise's absurd strengths in visual scale.

Anyway watched 3 + 1 after rewatching the other Rebuilds over the past week.

I adored that movie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think an underappreciated part of evangelion is their evacuation process. There's gotta be at least a million people living in Tokyo3, if not more. At least at the start of the series. But they can clear that whole city in like less than a day.

They probably built the city to be evacuated and everyone had to be ready the whole time with individual routes pre-assigned and poo poo.

Are there any shows that are just about the absurd lives of engineers and civil planners in the post-Kaiju robot fight world?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

Unironically one of my favorite shots in all of Eva is after Shinji misses his first shot on Ramiel in Rebuild one and Ramiel counterfires, and then while Shinji is dragging himself and unit 1 back into position for another shot you get a shot of the engineers desperately trying to keep the cabling from getting warped or melted in the wreckage while Unit 1 struggles to its feet in the background. It really embodies a lot of the franchise's absurd strengths in visual scale.

Totally agree. While it deviated the least from the series and the ending was plain old "yay, we defeated the monster!" the buildup and climax for the first one has to be my favorite. I'm no fancy educated art person, but that panning shot looks like it could be something from a romantic-era oil painting.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Been rewatching the o.g. and have never seen the entirety of the director's cut episodes before.

Holy poo poo...

My old avatar, lol

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 21, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

MikeJF posted:

They probably built the city to be evacuated and everyone had to be ready the whole time with individual routes pre-assigned and poo poo.

Are there any shows that are just about the absurd lives of engineers and civil planners in the post-Kaiju robot fight world?

dai-guard! an insurance company acquires a giant robot and kaiju are therefore treated like earthquakes or hurricanes

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

MikeJF posted:

Anno's Godzilla is basically this.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There’s something specifically about the people working at NERV that I find funny. Like in the break room you’ve got mechanics, electricians, office people and the people who tend to the weird flesh gardens in the basement where they grow replacement Eva parts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How much of an Eva actually needs to be an Eva anyways? Unit 5 was shown to work with those weird wheeled pseudo-spider legs, and Unit 8's only problem with the weird arm wing things just fine (Mari's complaints aside).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
brain, spine and core, i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

brain, spine and core, i guess?

Yeah I would guess a functioning CNS and enough meat to jam an entry plug into somewhere.