Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RoF anime arc is a lot better than the movie due to the additions and fixing movie errors like Goku still being Blue (thus technically powered up) when getting shot by that beam. Movie really drops the ball on missing out on a lot of fun interactions like Freeza seeing Trunks and Ginyu coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Problem is the show version looks like crap compared to the movie. But I agree on the other points.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurora posted:

red ribbon is largely hit or miss. muscle tower is fun and so is the pirate base but the rest kind of sucks

The Tao Pai Pai stuff was good.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Tao Pai Pai stuff was good.

completely forgot that was red ribbon tbh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nanigans posted:

Problem is the show version looks like crap compared to the movie. But I agree on the other points.

I'm less bothered by that than in Super's version of BoG because frankly the movie version of Resurrection F also looks like crap and should have been a warning sign of Super's imminent production woes

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Thankfully Broly looks incredible

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm genuinely very worried about Super Hero considering they changed the entire staff for it after Broly did so well for reasons I don't think I could ever even begin to understand. I really, really hope my fears don't come true but that the CGI was meant to be a new look for the franchise which made it sound like the entire movie will be like that...

I don't get how Toei gets a success like Broly then decides "let's do something totally different".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The reason is probably everyone who was working on Broly is busy with something else because the anime industry is an endless grind and there aren't enough people to go around thanks to the insane turnover rate brought about by crunch and criminal underpayment

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A bunch of the Broly people got put on One Piece iirc

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Siegkrow posted:

Also Goku single handedly murdering an entire army.

When did Goku have a moral shift where he abhorred killing? I'd guess just after he came back from king kai's training. He was upset at Vegeta executing Nappa and asked Krillin not to execute Vegeta.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lamebot posted:

When did Goku have a moral shift where he abhorred killing? I'd guess just after he came back from king kai's training. He was upset at Vegeta executing Nappa and asked Krillin not to execute Vegeta.

After training with Kami to fight against Jr.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

he didn't have a moral shift

he just internalized "Wow I can keep reaching for power even after death, I'd hate to kill people and deny myself the chance of a really good fight"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Goku isn’t completely against killing but he also loves a good fight and would hate to deprive himself of the chance for a rematch against a strong opponent.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

like right at the end of that arc he begs Krillin not to kill Vegeta and there is NO nobility in the request, he just wants to fight him again because he's never been pushed that hard in his life

I fuckin' adore that about Goku, and it was zero surprise he'd leave hypergenocidist Freiza alive and well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Black August posted:

like right at the end of that arc he begs Krillin not to kill Vegeta and there is NO nobility in the request, he just wants to fight him again because he's never been pushed that hard in his life

I fuckin' adore that about Goku, and it was zero surprise he'd leave hypergenocidist Freiza alive and well

Goku even admits during that scene that what he’s asking is probably really selfish, dude is straightforward to a fault and I personally love that about him

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Him doing that with bad guys because he wants to fight them again is mostly an Adult Goku thing to be fair, it's not like he seemed to want to meet Tao Pai Pai again when he told him to leave while he still could.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Him doing that with bad guys because he wants to fight them again is mostly an Adult Goku thing to be fair, it's not like he seemed to want to meet Tao Pai Pai again when he told him to leave while he still could.

Or King Piccolo for that matter. I want to say this attitude started around his first fight with the current Piccolo but I’m not completely sure.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Or King Piccolo for that matter. I want to say this attitude started around his first fight with the current Piccolo but I’m not completely sure.

That's the first time we see it, I believe. He spares Piccolo because he realizes it'll kill Kami too, but he doesn't exactly make it hard to see that he also sees Piccolo as the one person that can keep pushing him to greater heights and wants him as his personal rival (a plot thread that is dropped after Vegeta joins the cast and takes that place, because Goku's very unloyal to his rivals).

Kild posted:

After training with Kami to fight against Jr.

Therefore this is probably the right answer. Either training with Kami or just the natural process of growing up made Goku realize that people surviving = rivals he can keep fighting, yay! Though it's also true that there's some morality there that didn't exist when he was a teenager, considering he spares Raditz after Raditz gives up and promises never to do evil again (which he follows by, surprise, doing evil again).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, like on the overall scale of morality Goku is probably Neutral at best but he definitely has become more restrained, like remember the time he was done with King Piccolo’s bullshit and punched Drum so hard it was straight up a Berserk death?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The irony is that a Goku with no injury would become grossly powerful, but nowhere NEAR as strong as his brain damaged self, because after murderpunching enough enemies he'd get steamrolled by his first brick wall since he wouldn't have nearly as much training as a Goku who just keeps letting people get away for more matches

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Black August posted:

The irony is that a Goku with no injury would become grossly powerful, but nowhere NEAR as strong as his brain damaged self, because after murderpunching enough enemies he'd get steamrolled by his first brick wall since he wouldn't have nearly as much training as a Goku who just keeps letting people get away for more matches

I forget, how did Goku Black come to be? Is he basically a Goku that never hit his head as a child and instead went on to fulfill his duty as a Saiyan conqueror?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

goku black is zamasu who wishes himself to swap bodies with goku

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

I forget, how did Goku Black come to be? Is he basically a Goku that never hit his head as a child and instead went on to fulfill his duty as a Saiyan conqueror?

An evil Kai used the Dragon Balls to steal Goku's body.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

An evil Kai used the Dragon Balls to steal Goku's body.

Ah, that’s right. Though have any of the shows/games ever done a “What if Goku never hit his head” type story out of curiosity?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's a shame that Toyo didn't use his original fanfic Goku Black plot

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Larryb posted:

We already had a Goku who didn't get drain bamaged and went on to become a Saiyan conqueror and he made for a pretty ok movie and proved the thesis that a Goku with no desire to satisfy his fight boner by letting his enemies live to fight another day is a weak Goku

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also, if you take Jaco's manga as canon, the brain damage thing has been retconned entirely. Gohan just taught the brat some manners

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Calaveron posted:

We already had a Goku who didn't get drain bamaged and went on to become a Saiyan conqueror and he made for a pretty ok movie and proved the thesis that a Goku with no desire to satisfy his fight boner by letting his enemies live to fight another day is a weak Goku

Which movie was that again?

Also what was Toyo’s original idea for Goku Black? Basically something similar to what I said?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It'd be neat for an undamaged Goku to end up in the Super timeline and throw himself at regular Goku and get his rear end kicked to near-death, since regular Goku would absolutely demand he go train and come back to try again, no matter how many times it took, until he began to approach the same level.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Larryb posted:

Also what was Toyo’s original idea for Goku Black? Basically something similar to what I said?

No. It had the South(?) Supreme Kai barely survive being butchered by Buu and left in a coma all that time, before she comes back and seeks revenge on a system that completely failed her. It had her with some goofy OC villain, but the idea of her using Supreme Kai fuckery to get a Goku body and start to trash the universe would be a neat back-tie to an old plot, especially if she held Beerus partly responsible.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Larryb posted:

Tree or Fruit of something or other, I forget.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

I feel like Goku has a weird thing where he'll waste someone that killed his friends like Freeza or Buu but then if they don't harm him or his crew like Freeza (the second fourth (forgot Mecha-Freeza and Resurrection F) time) or he's like "okay try to keep the body count low! Can't wait for our rematch"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I feel like Goku has a weird thing where he'll waste someone that killed his friends like Freeza or Buu but then if they don't harm him or his crew like Freeza (the second fourth (forgot Mecha-Freeza and Resurrection F) time) or he's like "okay try to keep the body count low! Can't wait for our rematch"

Goku literally saved Frieza's life, it is just that he turned around and tried to kill Goku again.
To his credit he tried about as hard as physically possible to kill Cell and would have succeeded if he didn't have insane regeneration that somehow depended on his head which Goku blew the gently caress off.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Even Buu got a "Wow cool, fun match, you better come back again somehow"

Cell really is the only major villain he's fought that he showed no desire to refight someday, which I imagine had something to do with how Cell behaved the entire time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Black August posted:

Even Buu got a "Wow cool, fun match, you better come back again somehow"

Cell really is the only major villain he's fought that he showed no desire to refight someday, which I imagine had something to do with how Cell behaved the entire time

I like to imagine Cell trying to blow himself up was the final straw.

Goku does not like sore losers.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Is it just me or are almost all of Goku's friends people that tried to kill him or beat the crap out of him at one point or another? Seems like he can't make a friend unless they punch him really hard in the face, Tyler Durden style.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

Is it just me or are almost all of Goku's friends people that tried to kill him or beat the crap out of him at one point or another? Seems like he can't make a friend unless they punch him really hard in the face, Tyler Durden style.

Pretty much, even Bulma shot him in the face the first time they met.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

Well ya, his first friend is Bulma who shoots him in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

As Nero Danced posted:

Its how he met his Grandpa, its all he knows