Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

lmao can't wait for the US to mimic this then wonder why it doesn't work when we're still below 75% vaccinated a year from now

the US is the model other countries are accepting now when it comes to learning to live with COVID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

weird headline image to use for a story about children from the pedophile island

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

who the gently caress is screaming "GET COVID" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never get covid

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

WA's premier telling the prime minister to gently caress off:

quote:

You may have heard some commentary from the eastern states recently about WA and the national plan to transition out of the pandemic.
As I've repeatedly said - Western Australia will remove our controlled border with other states in the future, when it is safe to do so, and in line with the health advice and the national plan.
Some people want us to remove our border controls with Sydney when only 70 per cent of adults are vaccinated (which is only 56 per cent of the overall population).
By knowingly letting the virus in, it would mean we'd have hundreds of people die, have to wind back our local freedoms, introduce restrictions and shut down large parts of our economy.
I don't want to do that. I don't want to see people dying in nursing homes or aged care villages or disability centres or hospitals. I don't want to bring back harsh limits on local businesses.
It's just odd for the Commonwealth Government to keep arguing for this - to be clear, removing ALL travel restrictions, domestic or international, is not part of the national plan at either 70 or 80 per cent.
When it is safe to do so we will open the borders - when an overwhelming majority of our population has been vaccinated.
We will get there - it might only be a difference of a few months - but in the meantime, it's worth trying to keep COVID out for as long as we can, so we can vaccinate as many people as possible.
Ultimately, these are issues for later. Right now, in August, the focus should be on dealing with the crisis in New South Wales.
The Commonwealth Government should be more concerned about getting the current situation under control, and trying to spare the rest of the country from the fate that NSW is suffering.
It's not been well publicised, but Western Australia is lending its resources to help the health response in New South Wales. Our contact tracers are fully focused on the situation over east and we've sent across 250,000 N95 masks, plus Western Australian medical staff assisting in regional NSW.
The fact is, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Western Australia and the Northern Territory are all going pretty well at the moment.
We are not living in caves - we have some of the freest, most open, exciting communities in the world - and we want to keep it that way while we get our population vaccinated.
The idea that we would prematurely decide to deliberately import the virus and shut down parts of the mining industry, is complete madness.
Right now, the most important thing we can do is get as many people vaccinated as possible. If you are reading this and haven't already - please do your part, and book your appointment today.

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

But yeah, seriously, about that mask thing. Like, I know the ideal is to keep the respirator on as long as possible and generally I never take it off unless I'm home or outdoors away from people (and in the latter case, that's just to adjust it if needed, or to put it back on after having left the doctor's as noted) but like, yeah. How bad is exposing the respirator to ~indoor air~ for the brief few moments it takes to place it in the bag. Like is it better to just wear a KN95 or something then at the doctor's (which I don't really get a good fit for)

My advice is to try and find a model of N95 that you have a good fit with and keep a nice little stockpile of those around for when you go to places where source control is a concern, I.E. hospitals and airports. I'd recommend one, but getting a good fit is a lot more dependent on your facial geometry than it is with p100 elastomerics and the N95 I'm fitted for got discontinued by 3M this year.

2fat4sex fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 31, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

WampaLord posted:

I think I've heard isopropyl alcohol works, hell just wiping it down with a disinfecting wipe would probably be good enough

surface transmission was never the real threat

Then wouldn't the mask swapping be preferable? Since yeah, my concern was just the mask getting infected/compromised. I don't really get a full seal with KN95s so yeah, if I'm in a waiting room and whatnot, I prefer being in the respirator. As I said, I only switch to the KN95 if I'm being told by the doctor they need to look in my mouth/nose or whatever since then it's easier. But I mean if there's no risk of contaminating the mask itself, I can just pull it down and then respo back up ASAP.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
honestly I can't comprehend the decision-making right now. going straight into hospital collapse. I mean, the hospitals will collapse. There are hospitals with only days of oxygen left now, and eventually every hospital is gonna be filled up, understaffed, and unable to function. And there's no planning for this at all.

The death rate is gonna skyrocket and it's gonna gently caress the economy. gently caress, if nations want to kill their citizens, at least do it for a sensical reason! what in the gently caress!!!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Business Gorillas posted:

who the gently caress is screaming "GET COVID" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never get covid

Post vaxx when cases were low and masks still existed I did leave the house a fair bit, actually. But now cases are the second higher they have ever been and almost no one is masking. So no, I will not.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

and report backs from Chicago Public Schools reopening
https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/1432449704433004552?s=20

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

Don't you want natural immunity
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1432379991870910465?s=20
https://twitter.com/Roman_Baber/status/1431943715254382601?s=20

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

honestly I can't comprehend the decision-making right now. going straight into hospital collapse. I mean, the hospitals will collapse. There are hospitals with only days of oxygen left now, and eventually every hospital is gonna be filled up, understaffed, and unable to function. And there's no planning for this at all.

The death rate is gonna skyrocket and it's gonna gently caress the economy. gently caress, if nations want to kill their citizens, at least do it for a sensical reason! what in the gently caress!!!

i think its active malice for some but for the vast, vast majority, it's the fact that they have zero object permanence and think that COVID is someone else's problem. i don't think its a coincidence that out of my group of friends, i'm the most serious about not catching covid while also knowing the most people that have had serious, long-term damage from it

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

WampaLord posted:

I think I've heard isopropyl alcohol works, hell just wiping it down with a disinfecting wipe would probably be good enough

surface transmission was never the real threat

What? You don't clean your respirator mask because of Covid formites. You clean it because you are a disgusting filthy human. Your mask will accumulate oils from your skin, and depending on your activity, sweat too. All of that will lead to some real stinky masks.
Even if it's made out of silicone, you still need to clean it from time to time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The problem with protecting yourself against COVID by getting COVID is that you have to get COVID.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

2fat4sex posted:

My advice is to try and find a model of N95 that you have a good fit with and keep a nice little stockpile of those around for when you go to places where source control is a concern, I.E. hospitals and airports. I'd recommend one, but getting a good fit is a lot more dependent on your facial geometry than it is with p100 elastomerics and the N95 I'm fitted for got discontinued by 3M this year.

I don't fly, and yeah, I'm avoiding hospitals like the plague right now for obvious reasons. It's legit just for trips to the doctor since yeah, they've not asked me to take it off because of the exhaust valve or anything, just the whole issue of having to remove it so they can do nasal swabs or examine my mouth/throat or take my temperature. My only concern, again, is the mask being infected. But if surface contact or whatever isn't an issue, then I'm good.

And yeah, I've got N95s at home and ordered both models I could find for cheap from Bonafidemasks but neither really seem to fit perfect. Always get some seepage from the top or bottom. I think they need to be tighter. Might try jury rigging a knot in the back or something, but then that still runs into kind of the same fundamental issue as the respirator in "taking it on/off is slow" and if there's no risk of contaminating the respirator, then yeah, there's no point bothering.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
let’s see you can get immunized or you can get a brain damaging, lung damaging, heart damaging infection and have equal chances of getting it again

I know what I would pick
the one that breaks your dick

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

1) not interested in taking medical advice from someone who looks like he puts on black robes and drinks blood on the equinox
2) saying "you aren't allowed to make fun of me for my personal choices" isn't very convincing that your personal choice is a good one

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

What? You don't clean your respirator mask because of Covid formites. You clean it because you are a disgusting filthy human. Your mask will accumulate oils from your skin, and depending on your activity, sweat too. All of that will lead to some real stinky masks.
Even if it's made out of silicone, you still need to clean it from time to time.

I wipe down the silicone facepiece and plastic head straps on my hf-800 with a baby wipe after every use, and do a full clean with dish soap and water every two weeks or so. Seems to be keeping it odor-free so far

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
introverts actually do have the moral high ground because they're cool and smart and gently caress MadJackal

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol the US really is going to top its peak deaths. god drat

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

nexous posted:

let’s see you can get immunized or you can get a brain damaging, lung damaging, heart damaging infection and have equal chances of getting it again

I know what I would pick
the one that breaks your dick

the vaccines break your dick?

I don't like making GBS threads myself but I'm definitely sticking with horse paste then.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

it won't gently caress the economy if they just kick the money printers into a higher gear

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

Speaking of hospital collapse.

Neighbor had a stroke (Alabama). Family called the ambulance. Ambulance came out, diagnosed it, and left, with explanation that there wasn’t any place to put them in the hospital. They did tell them to “keep an eye on it” though so it’s all good.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Classically liberal hot takes. Formerly Capitol Hill, currently think tank. MA native in VA. Not on your “side” and you can stay mad about it. עם ישראל חי

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

fosborb posted:

lol the US really is going to top its peak deaths. god drat

this is endemic COVID. you may not like it, but this is what living with COVID looks like.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Golli posted:

Neighbor had a stroke (Alabama). Family called the ambulance. Ambulance came out, diagnosed it, and left, with explanation that there wasn’t any place to put them in the hospital. They did tell them to “keep an eye on it” though so it’s all good.

lol

lolllllllllllll

:crackping:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Golli posted:

You know I thought that this happening to entire states would provoke some response from the government. Like maybe an acknowledgment at least. I guess it's gonna have to be happening to the entire country at once for them to acknowledge it. but hey maybe even then they won't

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

haha yes!!! fuckign fear casting doomers

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

we have been fully open biden for like over a year now

what are they crying so hard about

literally what can't you do today that you could do in 2019?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

You know I thought that this happening to entire states would provoke some response from the government. Like maybe an acknowledgment at least. I guess it's gonna have to be happening to the entire country at once for them to acknowledge it. but hey maybe even then they won't

it needs to lock the rich out of concierge medical care for them to care

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Mr. Pizza posted:

haha yes!!! fuckign fear casting doomers

https://twitter.com/CorieWhalen/status/1432531064136904705?s=20

In this house we

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* BeLiEve ScIeNCe *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

early existential crisis from strong anxiety or depressions are also thing associated with the learning difference and good programs try to teach kids how to cope with that too!

basically if you have kids expect then to crack ping in late elementary or early middle school.

cool to know I really was doomed from the start

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Ruggan posted:

That’s pretty good money for reporting and data analytics.

Trust me, I'm acutely aware that I finally landed a sweet gig. Not having to worry about commuting, money or exposing myself to others in a pandemic makes me want to cry with relief.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1430660291579105284

Reminder that Kulldorff is the genocidal maniac who authored the Great Barrington Declaration

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
doomers are the cool badasses that will inherit the sun-scorched planet

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
the planet is also diseased

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
waiting for hospitals to collapse for maybe something to happen. lol that’s grim

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So just to confirm; the danger in taking off my mask indoors is entirely to me, and not to the mask. So in situations where I have to demask because, say, I'm getting a nasal swab or a oral examination, there is zero reason to not wear the respirator?

And baby wipes + dish soup are good for cleaning?

Maybe we should put a FAQ for the elastomeric elite in the OP. Goon tips on maintenance and poo poo. Because I'm sure I'm not the only idiot baby with these sort of questions.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

SKULL.GIF posted:

we have been fully open biden for like over a year now

what are they crying so hard about

They don’t want you to make them look bad. They know in their heart that they’re bloodless vampires and you’re making them look bad by existing.

So the solution is for you to go out and die thus negating your existence.
So simple. Bing bong.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

get unanimous social validation for saturday nights at the wine bar followed by sunday brunches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Demon Of The Fall posted:

waiting for hospitals to collapse for maybe something to happen. lol that’s grim

at least we won't have to wait too long